Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> M'aiq the Liar, how does he fit into your roleplays?
Lady Saga
post Sep 23 2012, 05:37 AM
Post #1

Mouth
Group Icon

Yes, everyone, it's M'aiq the Liar, that NPC who is considered by many to be an Easter Egg of sorts. I assume everyone here is a roleplayer, but even if you aren't, how does M'aiq fit into your game? Is he an awkward moment that cannot be explained? Do you ignore him? Do you address him?

I've fallen into the habit of seeing him as a sort of sage, or wise-person. Usually my characters find him somewhere randomly, walk up to him, and wait for him to say something "wise". It might be "Nord wishes he have glorious mane like Khajiit" or "M'aiq does not remember his past; perhaps he never had one" or "M'aiq is very practical, he has no use for Mysticism."

And in some cases (like with Gunter, Son of Talos, who is an oaf, and not very bright) my character will not even know what M'aiq is talking about, but they look at him with awe, anyways. It doesn't matter if they're dull or bright, though, they always look forward to whatever M'aiq has to say next.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Sep 23 2012, 05:45 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 23 2012, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Councilor
Group Icon

Fun topic!

For me it depends on the character, of course. Most of my characters do not approach strangers, so they never speak to him or even realize that it’s the same Khajiit. It’s easy with the HUD off, since there’s no little label to read. As for what he’s doing out in the middle of nowhere, they might be asked the same question!

Here’s how some of my friendlier characters view him.

Big D has introduced himself, so he recognizes M’aiq when he sees him. The orc thinks that the Khajiit might be under the influence of moon sugar. He always listens respectfully and doesn’t expect to understand him.

Jensa and Stenvar have come to M’aiq’s aid many times in her 200+ hour game (dragon attacks and when world events collide). She has decided that the old cat is harmless. She always stops to say hello. Since she is Dragonborn and has been known to utter odd phrases and meditate upon foreign words, she dismisses his behavior as some Khajiit following his own path. She does not have to make sense of everything in her world.

My Khajiit characters have always heard him speak to them in Ta’agra, and I just assume that some of their interactions do not translate well. For example:

M’aiq: M'aiq is always in search of calipers, yet finds none. Where could they have gone?

J’Shanji: Haha! This one would like to find a paint brush. Warm sands, my friend.

Grits: WTF?

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 23 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Aravi (my Khajiit) always stops to speak with him when she sees him. One reason is that there aren't many Khajiit in Skyrim so she takes the opportunity to talk with one when she can. Another reason is she finds some of his comments to be amusing, even if they don't make much sense to her at times.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 23 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

Some of my characters tend to view him as being a holy man, so deep in his meditations on life and the world that sometimes the things he says sound impractical or 'out there'. Others think he is just a cook, rambling nonsense. Most of them find him to be at least be amusing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Sep 24 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks, y'all. smile.gif

I never, ever have been able to speak to M'aiq in Cyrodiil. He runs way too fast. sad.gif I'm pretty sure I've seen him run by several times, but have never been able to catch him. I am glad he is chilled-out now!

Was he in MOrrowind?
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 24 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Sep 24 2012, 07:38 AM) *

Thanks, y'all. smile.gif

I never, ever have been able to speak to M'aiq in Cyrodiil. He runs way too fast. sad.gif I'm pretty sure I've seen him run by several times, but have never been able to catch him. I am glad he is chilled-out now!

Was he in MOrrowind?

I have the same problem in Oblivion. He just darts off like a gazelle as soon as my characters spot him. I never did run across him in Morrowind.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 24 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Here’s a picture of Jerric meeting M'aiq on the road some time ago in Cyrodiil. I don’t blame M’aiq for taking off like a shot after they spoke. Here’s the look on Jerric's face while they were talking. blink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 24 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

That's weird... huh.gif ...All of my Knightish characters always talked to him either outside Anvil or outside Leyawiin...He never ran once...Unless it was post conversation...Weird...

As M'aiq has been there all the way through my gaming experience...All the Knights treat him with much respect and always stop to talk...

Sometimes, he talks back...Sometimes...Not...We shall see...
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Sep 25 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #9

Mouth
Group Icon

That's cool, McB. Wish I could find him standing around in Cyrodiil. He says a whole list of things I've never even heard; I have only read these things in the forums.

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 24 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Ha ha that is priceless!

How do you take pictures? You are on PS3, right? Is that just a really good digital camera.?

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Sep 25 2012, 12:25 AM
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 25 2012, 12:34 AM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

I think M'aiq is supposed to be the same person in Morrowind and Oblivion, but is a descendent in Skyrim (whose father was M'aiq, and he presumes all the generations before).

He wasn't in Daggerfall, but I might just add him if I can get it running again on my new machine.

I had him play a part in Tsarrina's acquisition of Gweden Farm, so he's a favored client there.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 25 2012, 02:26 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Sep 24 2012, 07:22 PM) *
How do you take pictures? You are on PS3, right? Is that just a really good digital camera.?

Those two are screenshots from my laptop. I can play Oblivion on it, but not very well. Here's how Jerric looks on my PS3: Link. It's just an inexpensive Cybershot camera from Target, but I hold still. Also it's a pretty big TV.

I have Oblivion for the Xbox now (couldn't resist the 2-pack with Fallout), but shockingly Jerric has not yet invaded it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Sep 25 2012, 02:35 PM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

ghastley: He is a descendent? That could be why M'aiq does not remember his childhood in Skyrim. Perhaps he never had one. huh.gif

Grits: I've always liked the way a digital camera can capture a rougher picture than a PC screenshot. The digi camera pics look pretty good sometimes. They're not as "clean" and perfect, but I still like them.

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Sep 25 2012, 02:36 PM
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Sep 25 2012, 11:42 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

I heard a new one today. Made me crack up a bit with laughter. ..

"M'aiq was trapped in a soul gem once. Not very pleasant. you should think about that once in a while!"

Gunter does use soul gems occasionally to power-up enchanted an enchanted weapon (Farkas showed Gunter how it's done) so I wonder if the game picks up on this.
+Quote Post
Noran
post Dec 5 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #14

Associate

I've always approached M'aiq as some sort of immortal wise being who's been wandering Tamriel for some unknown number of centuries....makes interactions with him all the more amusing.
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #15

Agent

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 25 2012, 01:26 AM) *

Those two are screenshots from my laptop. I can play Oblivion on it, but not very well. Here's how Jerric looks on my PS3: Link. It's just an inexpensive Cybershot camera from Target, but I hold still. Also it's a pretty big TV.

I have Oblivion for the Xbox now (couldn't resist the 2-pack with Fallout), but shockingly Jerric has not yet invaded it.

jerric is actually really handsome wub.gif now i am just going to think of that face....
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 9 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #16

Agent

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 25 2012, 01:26 AM) *

how do you get that strong chin and broad nose ? he looks very masculine , the well - built plate armour and sandy locks help but that face is beautiful...has inspired me to try and get something akin to that smile.gif
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 9 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #17

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Awesome topic, Renee Lady Saga! Although I don´t play Skyrim I felt I wanna reply.

M´aiq is just there in my game. He´s just another Khajiit who happen to run fast and speak in tounges. Crazy, but harmless smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Lady Saga
post Feb 10 2013, 12:04 AM
Post #18

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 9 2013, 04:01 PM) *

Awesome topic, Renee Lady Saga! Although I don´t play Skyrim I felt I wanna reply.

M´aiq is just there in my game. He´s just another Khajiit who happen to run fast and speak in tounges. Crazy, but harmless smile.gif

That's cool, mirocu. smile.gif In Skyrim M'aiq walks around, and appears randomly. He doesn't run anymore. This is a good thing for me, because in all the years I've played Oblivion, not once have I been able to catch M'aiq as he runs by. I have never heard him speak in TES: IV.

By the way, who is Renee? Is she that umbrella seller who was trained by the High Elves over at Beth's forums? dreamy school girl!

This post has been edited by Lady Saga: Feb 10 2013, 12:05 AM
+Quote Post
flowerboom
post Feb 10 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #19

Agent

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 9 2013, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 9 2013, 04:01 PM) *

That's cool, mirocu. smile.gif In Skyrim M'aiq walks around, and appears randomly. He doesn't run anymore. This is a good thing for me, because in all the years I've played Oblivion, not once have I been able to catch M'aiq as he runs by. I have never heard him speak in TES: IV.

By the way, who is Renee? Is she that umbrella seller who was trained by the High Elves over at Beth's forums? dreamy school girl!

shes a nice gal ' smile.gif

*selects rumours*

" i heard one of her chracters decided to open up there own account for a differtant forum , musta' been the wind..."
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 10 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #20

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lady Saga @ Feb 10 2013, 12:04 AM) *

I think she used to be called Renee Gade 2 tongue.gif

Oh, so M´aiq doesn´t run anymore? Pitty. That was one of the things I liked about him and what made him a bit of a mystery. I always talk to him whenever I meet him in Cyrodiil smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:09 AM