Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout: New Vegas appreciation thread
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 15 2013, 02:15 PM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Feb 15 2013, 01:02 PM) *

I will admit to having no idea about the DPS/Damage ratio thing...Can't work it out for love nor money...Surely the higher the damage?...But if it's a machine gun is the high DPS/low Damage better?...And as for the 4X12.5 (just an example, you know what I mean) stuff?... blink.gif ...No idea...

Basically, the DPS is Damage Per Second, so how much damage a second of firing that weapon is going to do; the Dam value represents the damage caused by an individual hit, while DPS is the damage of a second of sustained firing/attacking. Weapons with low Dam value but high DPS, the rapid firing sort, are good against enemies with poor armour, as they can bring the hurt constantly but aren't as good agaisnt armoured enemies as the Damage Threshold they have will simply mean most of your shots bounce off; in that case, you want slower-firing weapons with a high Dam instead of a high DPS, as that individual Dam value is used to overcome the enemy's DT given to them by their armour. In short, if you want to fight raiders, pack an assault rifle or a machine gun. If you want to fight Brotherhood of Steel, bring an Anti-Materiel rifle.

And the 4X12.5 stuff is for weapons with spread; in that case, it fires four individual projectiles that spread out, and each one of those hits a target for 12.5 points of Dam, so if you get up close enough to mitigate the spread, the weapon will a pretty hefty 50 points of Dam.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 15 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #42

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Yeah what Mustard said.

The guys working on NV definitely had a better understanding of firearms than Bethsoft did.

All around the weapon handling is much deeper and different ammo types are important. In real life it is important to suit your ammunition to the intended purpose of the gun, they touched on this fairly well in New Vegas.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 15 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 15 2013, 09:13 PM) *
Yeah what Mustard said.

The guys working on NV definitely had a better understanding of firearms than Bethsoft did.

All around the weapon handling is much deeper and different ammo types are important. In real life it is important to suit your ammunition to the intended purpose of the gun, they touched on this fairly well in New Vegas.

I liked how they made shotguns not particularly effective against armoured targets unless you used slug rounds (is it slug rounds? I can't remember off the top of my head) but absolutely lethal against everything else; when I'm playing a shooter or any game like it I'll almost always go for a shotgun, and while it was fun in Fallout 3 for the Lone Wanderer to blast his way through the Enclave with his trusty combat shotgun, it did feel kind of wierd for lead pellets to somehow manage to break through the reinforced power armour all the bad guys were sporting.

Also, New Vegas' Dragon's Breath shells are absurdly fun to load up a shotgun with.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 15 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #44

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 15 2013, 09:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 15 2013, 09:13 PM) *
Yeah what Mustard said.

I liked how they made shotguns not particularly effective against armoured targets unless you used slug rounds (is it slug rounds? I can't remember off the top of my head) but absolutely lethal against everything else; when I'm playing a shooter or any game like it I'll almost always go for a shotgun, and while it was fun in Fallout 3 for the Lone Wanderer to blast his way through the Enclave with his trusty combat shotgun, it did feel kind of wierd for lead pellets to somehow manage to break through the reinforced power armour all the bad guys were sporting.

Also, New Vegas' Dragon's Breath shells are absurdly fun to load up a shotgun with.

Agreed on the buckshot. They're not effective at going through hard barriers or body armor. Slugs however are excellent at penetrating barriers and defeating most soft body armor.

I don't know how Dragon's Breath performs in real life (illegal for civilians as far as I know) but they're a lot of fun in NV.

This post has been edited by Kiln: Feb 15 2013, 10:50 PM

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 15 2013, 11:40 PM
Post #45

Ancient
Group Icon

So how do all you NV fans handle all the bugs? When FONV first came out, all I heard about it was that it was the most horrible bug-ridden disaster that has ever been perpetrated upon gamerhood. That is why I never had any interest in trying it. Did Obsidian ever decide to patch it and fix it? Or is there some unofficial patch floating around that fixes most of the issues and makes it actually playable?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 15 2013, 11:48 PM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 15 2013, 10:40 PM) *
So how do all you NV fans handle all the bugs? When FONV first came out, all I heard about it was that it was the most horrible bug-ridden disaster that has ever been perpetrated upon gamerhood. That is why I never had any interest in trying it. Did Obsidian ever decide to patch it and fix it? Or is there some unofficial patch floating around that fixes most of the issues and makes it actually playable?

To be honest, most of that was hyperbole; there were bugs, and some of them could be pretty bad, but calling it 'the most horrible bug-ridden disaster that has ever been perpetrated upon gameerhood' is also pretty far from the truth and was mainly the internet talking in its primary tongue of hyperbole there. They're all pretty much gone now; Obsidian were pretty quick to patch it up.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 16 2013, 07:13 AM
Post #47

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 15 2013, 10:48 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 15 2013, 10:40 PM) *

To be honest, most of that was hyperbole; there were bugs, and some of them could be pretty bad, but calling it 'the most horrible bug-ridden disaster that has ever been perpetrated upon gameerhood' is also pretty far from the truth and was mainly the internet talking in its primary tongue of hyperbole there. They're all pretty much gone now; Obsidian were pretty quick to patch it up.

Yeah I disagree with Mustard here.

The bugs upon release were among the worst I've ever seen. One thing they have up on Bethsoft though is that they actually fixed them. The issues that plagued the game upon release have been taken care of with only a few minor glitches remaining. The game is very enjoyable now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 16 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #48

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 16 2013, 01:13 AM) *

The bugs upon release were among the worst I've ever seen. One thing they have up on Bethsoft though is that they actually fixed them. The issues that plagued the game upon release have been taken care of with only a few minor glitches remaining. The game is very enjoyable now.

That is good to hear. I have been thinking of buying it, and what you describe is the only thing I had ever heard anyone say about it when it came out. I was hoping the worst of the issues would be fixed. Now I feel a lot better about buying the game.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Feb 16 2013, 04:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 16 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #49

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 16 2013, 03:08 PM) *
QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 16 2013, 01:13 AM) *

That is good to hear. I have been thinking of buying it, and what you describe is the only thing I had ever heard anyone say about it when it came out. I was hoping the worst of the issues would be fixed. Now I feel a lot better about buying the game.

I'd recommend it; probably my favourite RPG out there. If you do, the game of year is going pretty cheap, and seeing as it comes with about £25/$35 worth of substantial DLC with it (every bit released by Obsidian, in fact) it's pretty damn good value for money.

My copy has crashed every now and again, mind, but so far it's been much more in the league of a minor annoyance rather than a complete deal breaker.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 16 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #50

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I would try New Vegas too, íf it wasn´t for the steaming pile of [censored] I can´t seem to get past indifferent.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Feb 16 2013, 06:27 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Diamandis
post Feb 16 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #51

Finder
Group Icon

I have to agree with everything Colonel Mustard has said. The bugs really were minor I've found, and I've rarely come across any big ones; but the patch they did do fix them was spendid.

The DLC are incredible. It really is great value for money smile.gif

--------------------
Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a vrey srtnage mnid, wchih si good bceasue I od ot :D
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 16 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #52

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 16 2013, 05:26 PM) *
I would try New Vegas too, íf it wasn´t for the steaming pile of [censored] I can´t seem to get past indifferent.gif

Steam glitch problems, huh? Well, I feel for you son. I've got ninety nine problems, but a glitch ain't one.
+Quote Post
Diamandis
post Feb 16 2013, 11:50 PM
Post #53

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 16 2013, 10:45 PM) *

Steam glitch problems, huh? Well, I feel for you son. I've got ninety nine problems, but a glitch ain't one.

LOL!
IPB Image

--------------------
Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a vrey srtnage mnid, wchih si good bceasue I od ot :D
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 17 2013, 05:52 AM
Post #54

Councilor
Group Icon

I've heard the GOTY version is very buggy though... huh.gif ...Something about framerate problems...

It may be worth getting an old vanilla version and then getting the DLC on top...Other than the PS3 freeze thing after a good couple of hours of playing...I've never really had a problem...And like I said eleswhere, I've not played it intensively since 2011, so the later updates may have cured all that...

In other news...

Pffft...

You people...And yer...Yer...Words...And distracting...

I had a plan!!...And...Kinda...Sort of a schedule!!...And now...Pffft...

*Points*...If I wasn't so fond of you all!!...Aaaaargh!!... dry.gif ...
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Feb 21 2013, 03:22 AM
Post #55

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 16 2013, 02:45 PM) *

No, I believe what he's saying is that he won't buy the game because of Steam.
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 21 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #56

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Feb 21 2013, 03:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 16 2013, 02:45 PM) *

No, I believe what he's saying is that he won't buy the game because of Steam.

I think he got that wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 26 2013, 02:39 AM
Post #57

Forum Bard
Group Icon

I wish they'd put the SKS in a Fallout game. There are just so many mod options for the SKS that it'd be a great weapon to include.

Plus it'd add to the short list of semi automatic rifles in Fallout.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Feb 26 2013, 02:52 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 26 2013, 01:39 AM) *

I wish they'd put the SKS in a Fallout game. There are just so many mod options for the SKS that it'd be a great weapon to include.

*Adopts Shakespearian voice*

Is this a mod I see before me?
+Quote Post
Diamandis
post Feb 26 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #59

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 26 2013, 01:52 PM) *

Ahhhh... mods... the one thing I want so desperately, but my lack of a decent PC lets me have sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Feb 26 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #60

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Feb 26 2013, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Feb 26 2013, 01:39 AM) *

I'm stuck on the 360 unfortunately. I wish they'd add an SKS to a future game and allow it to be modified in game to take it from this:

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab47/My...Pictures023.jpg

to this:

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab47/My...ber42012034.jpg

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:08 PM