Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> With Fate Uncertain And Bloodstained Hands, Memoirs of Felisa Serhas. Chapter One: Beginning of the end
saqin
post Sep 25 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Agent

In this thread you will find the first two chapters in the history about the assassin Felisa Serhas, the khajiit scout Sa'Quira and Gasheera, who remembers nothing of his former life. This history tels the tale about how Gasheera came to be one of the greatest heroes of Cyrodiil, and how the trio went about to make it happen. Because when the jaws of Oblivion open, noone ever thinks the thought that the one that's saving them is lying.

Chapter One: Beginning of the End

My head ached as I arose from the hard stone floor. I waited for the dizzines to disapear as I looked around in the room. Just then I noticed it wasn't a room, and the events of the last few days came rushing back at me.

I sank down towards the wall and managed to close my eyes. The stench picking at my nose, and thoughts whirling all around my head. It was indeed cold in the cell, and the only things I'd have any use of in here was a stool, a small table, a bucket and a bedroll. I would have thought they could at least give me some water. For the soreness of my throat was increasing.

A while later a noice from another cell made me open my eyes. Sighing at the thought of how long I'd have to be here, I looked out through the steel bars of the cell and saw another dunmer in the one across.

He had a few wrinkles and his hair was grey. At the moment he was leaning against the bars of the cell door, his red eyes staring almost hysterically, at me. But soon his eyes went back to normal, as if he'd just finished evaluating me. He looked strong, but it was noticeable that he had spent much time in the cell.

"Well that's somethin' ya' don't see every day. What a pretty face." He finished his sentence with a smile, and I returned it carefully. Not yet sure of what to think. I then got up and put my hands on the cell door, looking at him.

"Ya' know, one of those guards owe me a favor, I could maybee get us put in the same cell." He said, still smiling." Ya' know, it gets pretty cold down here during the nights." I rolled my eyes, looking up in the roof before turning my eyes on him again.

"That's all you can think about? Getting someone to spend the night with?" Now I sat down on the floor, feeling how much my strength had been drained during the last hours. Though how many it had been since I fell asleep, I did not know.

"Hmph, you'll find it gets pretty lonely down here. Trust me, in a few months, you'll be asking me." He answered and chuckled. I sighed and tilted my head backwards again.

"Could you maybe tell me what time it is? You see, I don't have a window in my cell." I looked up and saw him watching me. Nodding slightly I arose from the floor and moved the stool to stand beneath the small window. Then I got up on it and looked out.

The sun shone clearly, almost enlightening the trees, and lake Rumare. It was a fine day, and had I been out there, I would probably have taken a swim in the lake. But, as I remembered myself over and over again, I wasn't.

"The sun is high in the sky, so I would say around twelve." When I'd told him I put the chair back and laid down on the bedroll. I was way to pained by the thought of the sun being on the other side of the wall, so I couldn't really stand the sight of it.

"What's your name?" He asked, and it took me by suprise. I hadn't thought he was still looking at me. But I sat up and looked at him across the cell.

"Felisa. Felisa Serhas. That is my name." He nodded and it took a while for me before I continued. "What is yours?"

"My name? It is Valen Dreth."

......................................................................................................................

A short beginning, I know. But I do not have time to write more today.

This post has been edited by saqin: Apr 21 2011, 11:30 AM

--------------------
I no longer use this acoount since I can't do anything with it. New username: Saquira
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olen
post Sep 25 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

Good opening, we meet the main character and get a few teasers of her background without revealing much. Not many (any?) Oblivion stories on this board (I'm assuming this is one) so its nice to see one, I'll be interested to see how you do it.

On the writing side of things there are a few gramatical and spelling errors there. Am I right in thinking you typed it straight into the post topic box? If so you might find it benifits your writing to type it out in a word processing program (ms word, openoffice write etc) which would highlight some of these issues for you. Also reading over it a bit after you've written it can help, personally I tend to let them rest overnight before posting, unless I get impatient tongue.gif.

Its short but I like it so far and will be interested to see how it develops. Good stuff smile.gif

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
saqin
post Sep 26 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Agent

I'm afraid you're right about me typing directly into the box. But I'm afraid that I didn't have acess to any of those programs at the moment. That is going to change now however.

I'll think about your advises, really I got some written up right now. But I think I'm going to let it stay put for the moment, maybe post it tomorrow. And well, thanks for the critique. It's always welcome.

--------------------
I no longer use this acoount since I can't do anything with it. New username: Saquira
+Quote Post
saqin
post Sep 28 2009, 03:01 PM
Post #4

Agent

Here you've got the next piece of the story. And, since the game really doesn't tell you anything about Valen Dreth, I took myself the liberty to make a part of his story up.

--------------------------------------------------------------

That evening I was awaken by the loud rattle of keys in a lock, and got up. I realized I’d fallen asleep before eating dinner, just because I didn’t know if I would get any. But now I assumed that it had to be a guard coming with dinner.

Valen was standing in his cell looking at the spot where the guard would show up. As we heard the sound of steel boots against the stairs, he gave me a sign to be quiet, and then went to stand with his back to the far away wall of his cell. I took his example, standing by my bedroll, and simply watched as the guard showed up in the corridor.

“Time for supper, prisoners.” The guard said with a grumpy tone in his voice, obviously not very happy of the task he’d been given. He put the key in my cell door, and turned it once to the right. I made sure I saw the look of the key before he put it back in his pocket.

He placed the bowl of food, a piece of hard meat and some old bread, and the can of water on my floor. He came close enough for me to see his face, and I studied it with a blank expression. The man was an Imperial, and his face had multiple scars from his years in battle. His armour hadn’t been looked after for a long time, and he almost looked to small in it, I took my chance guessing this was not the armour he usually had. I’d never met a warrior that did not take care of his armour before. It usually was very valuable to the warriors.

He met my gaze with a smug grin and locked my cell behind him, then he simply pushed Valens food through the bars, making it fall to the ground, the water flooding out.

“Here you’ve got your drink, dog.” The guard said and laughed quietly to himself, before ascending up the stairs.

“Nwah.” I heard Valen mutter quietly as he looked after the guard.

I saw Valen sighing and looking at the water which the guard had spilled, and so I got up to the bars. As in a silent agreement, I took my food from the bowl and put it on the table. Then I poured some of the water into it, and pushed it out from my cell over to his.

He simply looked at me as I did these things, but then he came up to the bars and took the water, drinking deeply. I started chewing on the bread, almost spitting it out as I felt the distinct taste of mould. But realizing I would not be given anything else, I ate. I ate those foods which many people die from. And I survived it.

The next morning, Valen was up before me. I took my time and stayed on the bedroll for a bit. Just thinking at possibilities, of how things could have turned out if I’d done things another way. And I knew the answer. Had I done things another way, I could today be a member in any of those legal guilds throughout Tamriel, or I could have went to Morrowind. For the truth was, I’d been born in Morrowind 16 years ago. As I thought of the time that had flown past, I also remembered something else. I would spend 18 months in prison. The thought caught me by surprise, and I grieved.

After a while, I got up from the bedroll, looking over to the other cell, I saw Valen sitting on the floor simply staring up into the roof. But as I moved, he heard it, and followed me with his gaze.

“Thanks… For last night, I mean…” He spoke carefully, shaping every word as if he did not quite know how to express himself. I realised he was not used to saying thanks, and was touched by the thought that he did it to me.

“My pleasure.” I answered, sitting across the hallway to him, thinking of how to shape the question I was about to ask. Wondering if it would hurt him, thinking of the past that was.

“Who… How did you have it before you was sent to prison?” I finally asked, and he gave me a slight smile, sighting.

“I got here three years ago. And by that, I mean the prison, not the country. In Tamriel I have lived my life, apart of the few last years in Morrowind, being an agent for the Imperial Legion.” He paused as he saw my eyes widen. “Yes, I was there when the Nerevarine came. But I did some deeds which the Legion sees as unholy, and was sent back.”

“Did you ever see the Nerevarine?” I asked, finally getting up from the shock.

“No, I had other business to attend to, but I heard of him. Yes I did.” Now he paused again, gave out a slight smile.” I was born 48 years ago. On the 13:th of Morning Star in the 3E 384. My parents never where wealthy, and for the biggest part, I lived a life out on the street, stealing what we needed. But I was, eventually, caught. And given the option to either enlist in the Legion, or take up career in the Arena, as the prison was full at that time. I chose the Legion, for then I’d have a greater chance of surviving, or well, so I thought.”

“My training lasted for two years, as I was not quick with learning, and it was necessary that I knew how to read.” He paused, looking over at me.

“You do not by chance still have some water?” He asked me, and I stumbled to my feet, nodding. He pushed the bowl out under the bars, and I took it, pouring half the water into it. Then I took both the can and the bowl over to the bars, pushing the bowl under them, and taking a sip from the can.

“Thank you.” He said, and drank deeply once again. Then he pushed the bowl back, and I took it, placing it next to me. And so he readied himself to continue.

“At the end of those two years, I was sent to a small mining encampment. I became one of many with the task to keep track of records, and miners. The miners where punished prisoners, and looking back at it, I was lucky not to be one of them. I spent a few years there, soon being transferred to the city of Cheydinhall, thanks to my ability to obey orders. And also, the count liked having guards of his own race, because dunmer’s have never been common in the legion.

“It was in Cheydinhall that I got a family. I met with Demedesea while serving as a guard at one of the local inns. She was a travelling merchant, and it was more or less love at first sight. We married one year later. I’d been with women before, but she was the first that I truly loved.

“We got two children during our time together, but she died when she was about to give birth to the third. Grieving as I was, I put the children into care with their grandmother, and never saw them again. Shortly thereafter I got orders from my superiors, I was to travel to Morrowind, Sadrith Mora to be exact. And there I was to follow some orders which would be sent to me. My superiors more or less wanted me to spy on house Telvanni, under another name, of course. It was some tricky business getting them to trust me, but I managed with the time." He stopped as we once again heard the rattle of keys in a lock, and retreated further into his cell. I followed his example, still thinking of the words he had spoken.

--------------------------------------------------

I've got a picture of Felisa Serhas coming, I've just got to find it again...

Cause of editing: Wrong dates written, this story start one year before the "Hero" has even gotten out of prison.

This post has been edited by saqin: Oct 4 2009, 07:56 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Sep 28 2009, 03:33 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

I like your take on Valen Dreth, quite different from the usual one and refreshing. It's good that you are not following the story of the game exactly, it leaves space for some surprises and keeps it fresh.

As far as criticism goes:

"I was born 48 years ago. On the 13:th of Morning Star in the 1E 385" -- Oblivion begins in 3E 433, morrowind begins in 3E 427, and he would have been born in 3E 385 if he was 48. The number preceding the E (ie the 3 in 3E xyz) refers to the era, the number after that is how many years into the era it is (so as oblivion happened at the end of the 3rd era ther were a bit more than 427 years in the third era (I don't think there is any cannon on the exact number)). It doesn't really detract from the story at all though, just me obsessing about lore. Here is a good place to find out more.

Otherwise it was good, there were a few verbs in the wrong tense but the plot and characters are developing nicely. Keep it up cool.gif

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
saqin
post Sep 28 2009, 05:24 PM
Post #6

Agent

He, thanks for pointing out that stupid mistake. I actually read about all of that with years and such to figure out when I wanted him to be born, but then I accidently wrote "1" instead of "3". And I've actually read quite a bit about the lore of Cyrodiil, as it is very intresting.

As for Valen Dreth, I like to believe that he really isn't a maniac. That he is instead only playing mad, as you'll see later, and the game really never says anything about that, so I think it could be possible.

And yeah, thanks for the critique, it's always welcome.

Here it is, the picture of Felisa Serhas;
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_3...80/29477446.jpg

--------------------
+Quote Post
saqin
post Apr 8 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #7

Agent

Soo, here is the next part.

---------------------------------------------------------

And like that it continued. Some days we spoke, and some days we didn’t. Every time we spoke he told me something about himself. I soon came to know the names of every superior or lover he’d ever had, and he told me a message he would like me to give to his children if I ever decided to find them, for he was sure that he would never get out of prison. I asked him about the reason to why he’d been sent to prison again, and he told me;

”It’s kind of stupid really, because when I’d completed the tasks they wanted me to complete, they said I was to dangerous to be allowed to walk on the streets, and they locked me up. Well, I did as a matter of fact get involved in some smuggling business which they might have found out about.” And then it continued like that. He told me the story of his life. We didn't talk every day, but when we did, he told me some of the strangest and most bizarre things I've ever heard. Who he'd insulted, one of them a count, every woman he'd ever loved...

And well, what is there really to be said, I grew attached to him. I thought he was interesting and charming. And how could I have been under a spell, since I still feel the same way.

It'd been ten months since I came to prison. Another ten left to live through. It was a very normal day, at least at the beginning. I sat across the room to Valen. Both of us sitting just behind our cell doors, and he was telling me what an utterly strange and remarkable woman his mother had been.

“... but wait a moment, you haven't told me much about yourself! Now would you please tell me how you ended up in this place?”

I thought about his question for a while, and then decided to tell him, because really. How big where the odds that he'd ever get out of there. Unlike me, he'd been locked up for life.

“I was merely two when we, meaning my parents and I, escaped from Morrowind. We where hunted for some reason, and the only way to get out of it was to leave Morrowind. My parents was members of the great house Hlaalu and had gained enemies. They 'took over' a cave close to Bruma and began their new life.

“I hunted with my father when I was four, and I stole my first goblet at an age of six. I don't think they ever suspected an six year old girl to be the culprit.” I laughed at the memory, and listened to his heartily chuckle.

“When I was fourteen their enemies caught up to us, and my parents where killed. I made an oath to Sithis that the assassin would not live to the beginning of the next month. So I hunted him down, tortured him, and finally killed him. He was called He-Who-Fear-None. But he certainly looked scared when I finally cut his throat.” Valen laughed then as I paused with a smile.

“I was soon contacted by a speaker of the Dark Brotherhood. He told me that they valued my abilities, and he recruited me. These days, I'm known by both friends and enemies as Black Snake, working as a silencer in the service of one of the four Speakers.

“But I made an mistake which got me here. I had to take out an Imperial man. The only problem was, that he had a wife. About eleven o'clock in the evening I entered their house, sneaked up the staircase, and slipped into their bedroom. When I sneaked up behind him, his wife grabbed a shovel, and just after I cut his throat, she hit me in the head so that I passed out. Next thing I knew I woke up in this cell.” I shock my head when I finished. “It was the biggest disgrace in my life.” I added, and he just looked at me. I realized that, for the second time in my life, I'd found someone whom I could tell everything to.

The next two months in prison we just got to know each other better, though the closest e got to each other was our fingertips touching when we reached out through the bars of our cells. That's when I got a cell mate.
He was a khajiit. With thick mane, yellow eyes and a tall and muscular body. The guards came in the middle of the night dumping him in my cell. He didn’t move until midday.

He seemed a bit groggy as he arose from the stone floor. He stumbled forwards to the steel bars and looked at the stairs.

”Look what the dog dragged in, a khajiit. You miss the wilderness fur licker? You know what, I got a big fat rat in my cell, does the kitty want it? Is the kitty hungry? You better take what you find khajiit! The guards don’t feed the new prisoners.
"You heard that khajiit? You’re going to die in here. Hahaha…” Valen finished just as the door to the prison opened. And I could hear from their voices that they weren’t normal guards when they came down the stairs.

This post has been edited by saqin: Apr 12 2010, 04:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 8 2010, 05:04 PM
Post #8

Ancient
Group Icon

I am so glad you are updating this! You are off to a great start, MORE!

Your take on Valen Dreth is great, and your back story for him! The details in your writing make it come to life - Great Write!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Remko
post Apr 9 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

A fresh look on an old story.. nice!
But the last few sentences were a bit jarring. You portray Valen as kind of a decent guy, yet you fell back to how the game portrays him. Kind of a shame imho.

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
saqin
post Apr 12 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #10

Agent

Thanks for the comments, it's good to see that a few people read this occasionally.

As for Valen Dreth I actually thought that he is a decent guy, but he plays mad or something like that, as I'll write later. Maybe he generally hates people, but saw something in her that he likes. I haven't thought much more about that, since I'm not giving him such a big role.

But anyways, here is another update!

------------------------------------------------

Valen gave me a glance before backing away from the bars, and the khajiit went to stand by the window, I followed his example, placing myself next to him.

”My sons, are they dead?” A man said, he sounded quite old.

”We don’t know that sire, the messenger only said they where attacked.” A younger male voice answered. I glanced up at the khajiit quickly, he didn’t seem very worried. He seemed as the warrior type, the one without a brain.

”No they are dead, I feel it.” There was that elderly man’s voice again. What a horrible thing to say! But I didn’t get much time to think about it, because the next moment I knew, four people where standing outside my cell. Three strange looking guards, and a man dressed in a red robe. He had a strange amulet, it looked like a great ruby. I considered stealing it, but came to the conclusion that I still wouldn’t be able to do anything with it in prison.

”What’s the prisoners doing here? This cell is supposed to be off limits.” The woman said.

”Usual mix up with the guard, I…” The youngest of them began, but the female stopped him.

”Never mind, lets get this gate opened.” She said and opened it. Next moment they came in, but it was mostly a blur. And they only spoke to the khajiit who’s name turned out to be Gasheera. And apparently the robed man was the emperor. I’d really have to get an update on what’d happened when I got out of prison. But then the female pushed a loose rock, which caused the wall to give in. And down they went all five of them, leaving the cell door open! So I went through it, up to Valens cell.

”What are you waiting for? Leave before someone gets down here!” He said and walked up to the bars.

”But what about you, I can’t just leave you here locked up!” I answered, wailing involuntarily. For I was considering leaving.

”Don’t think about me, I’ve already accepted the fact that I wont ever get out of here. You are young, you’ve got a future. You should leave.” He said, and stroke my cheek.

”Bye then. I’m leaving you now, but I’ll come back.” I said.

”Don’t. Farewell.” He said, and retreated from the bars.

”I am coming back.” I answered stubbornly. He smiled as if though I where merely an ignorant child, and then I left. I went down the same way as the soldiers, the emperor and the khajiit.

As I came out of the darkness I was meet by a corridor looking much like the prison. Walls, roof and floor where all made of stone, maybe marble, and every here and there I could make out small alcoves. Though it was pretty dark, and therefore hard to see exactly.

Since I couldn’t find a torch I started stumbling down the corridor. Coming across a chest I removed the things in it, a weak healing potion and a few coins, and continued down some stairs. Coming through a door, I looted another chest and went down yet another couple of stairs.

I went on much like that, the biggest shock was when I came into an area, and there where dead people! When examining their robes it was clear that they where assassins. But I knew they where not from the Dark Brotherhood, since of course we in the brotherhood did only kill in our black robes. But could they be Morag Tong then? After a while I concluded that no, they couldn’t. Anyways they provided me with a lock pick that I used to get my manacles of, and a few potions. Mostly restore health and restore magicka.

After that I continued through the dark tunnels with cautious steps, all in vain. For I soon discovered that it had been looted not much earlier, which probably was the doing of the khajiit. Though thankfully he’d at least left an iron short sword, a leather cuirass and a ruby that was so packed in the mud that I was almost sure he’d stepped on it. I looted all of them, and then treaded lightly forward, not wanting to be surprised in case something had passed the attention of the khajiit.

Looking around a corner, I noticed one of the soldiers that had been accompanying the emperor. And on the ground next to him was the emperor himself! Obviously dead since he was lying in a pool of blood. The soldier wasn’t looking in my direction, so I snuck past him and felt on the handle of the door, someone had obviously barred it from the other side. So I snuck back to the room with the soldier to see if there was a way out there. And of course it was, I’d just have to walk right past the soldier!

”Excuse me, but isn’t that the emperor?” I asked, stepping out from the shadows, trying to get him to believe that I was stupid. He spun around with his blade drawn, but sheathed it again once he saw me. I obviously didn’t look like much of a threat in the prison clothes.

”Yes…” He said, staring. At me as a matter of fact.

”Who killed him?” Asking another stupid question, since really the bodies of the assassins where scattered over the room. I think I was merely hoping that he wouldn’t see my slow movement towards the door. And well, he pointed at the corpses, obviously.

”Who are you? And why are you in prison?” He asked stepping sideways to block the opening in the wall.

”Oh, no one special. I got into a pub brawl and accidentally killed a guy. Um, could you let me pass?” I said then, hoping that he wouldn’t notice what a bad liar I am.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Apr 12 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

Good to see you back at this piece. It's a refreshing change having someone follow through that part of the quest, not something I've seen done so I'm interested to see where you take this next.

The last line was excellent smile.gif

I want to know what happens next now...

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 16 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

I like the way you are handling this!

--------------------
+Quote Post
saqin
post Apr 19 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #13

Agent

Thanks for the great comments.
Did I hear someone mentioning wanting to know more? Well, here is the next part!

-----------------------------------------------

”Yeah, right…” He said then, drawing his sword. I looked around me just then, and remembered the assassins. Suddenly getting an idea, I backed away from him, muttering a spell and desperately hoping it’d work.

”Th… that’s not po… possible…” The soldier jumped back and went pale when one of the corpses suddenly arose from the floor. He dropped his sword and shivered of fright. Then the corpse threw itself over him. When the corpse finally went limp he started crawling away from under it.

”Very possible. It’s called telekinesis.” I said as I walked over him and through the opening, barely able to keep from laughing.

Next I made my way through the sewers, killing the occasional rat, and it wasn’t long before I came out into the open. I almost threw myself into the water when I looked up on the sun, but didn’t, because it would probably just attract loads of slaughterfish. Instead I put on the red robe and hood and began to walk up towards the city.

Walking along the road that went past the Imperial prison, I got a great view of the landscape. And it felt great to be out again. But the sun was setting, so I’d have to sell a few things and get a room for the night. I was very happy that I’d stacked most of my things in my cave up north, because I really didn’t feel like breaking into the Imperial prison at the moment.

Opening the gate to the market district I made sure I’d hid my face well. One of the two guards standing at the gate raised his eyebrows when he saw which gate I came from, but he left me alone. And I turned in on one of the smaller squares at which most of the shops where assembled.

My eye caught sight of a sign labelled “Jensine’s ‘Good as new merchandise’ “, I entered through the door below. The imperial looked at me and welcomed me, saying something about that it was good to get a new customer these days. I didn’t think much about what she said, I just gave her the things I wanted to sell, and she gave me the gold for it. However she didn’t want to buy the robe, instead telling me to go to “Rindir’s staffs.” So I thanked her and left.

Opening the door to the shop, I where greeted by a wood elf. Though when I asked him what I would get for the robe he told me he didn’t want to buy it. Being pretty annoyed by that time, I bought a mages robe and hood which I put on instead of the red ones.

Then I took my leave of the shop and the wood elf, and made my way to the merchants inn.

“Good day. Is there anything I can do for you? We rent rooms and sell food.” And that was in which manner I was greeted by the imperial who obviously where the proprietor of the inn.

“Yes. I would like to rent a room.” I answered, opening my pouch.

“Al right, that’s twenty gold coins then. There is food in the room to.” And so I put the coins on the desk, took the key, thanked him and went upstairs.

I made my way to my room, unlocking the door with the key, and putting the few things I carried next to the bed. Then I sat down at the table and ate. I chewed slowly, delighted at the flavours that I’d been without for so long, and took sips of the wine.
My time in prison had truly changed my sight on life. I where only twenty at the time, but I’d learnt how to value life, and the good things in it.

After finishing my dinner I went to bed, wrapped in the robe. I was expecting a visit, and had no intention of undressing completely. Neither did I intend to sleep deeply. But the sheets where clean and comforting. Also, I had not slept well in prison, so it didn’t take long until I fell into a deep sleep. I slept so deep that I did not her the footsteps as someone entered my room.

He could have stared at me in an hour by the time I noticed and woke up. As I opened my eyes I was clearly awake, and as he sighed and greeted me with one word, I knew it was him.

”Silencer.” Lucien Lachance said, and I sat up, looked at him. ”You finished the contract, but where gone for a year, so I can’t give you gold for it. But now, instead, let’s speak of your next contract.” He paused, and I nodded, it made sense. And I could get along with the money I had in my cave.

”Your target is Valen Dreth, he angered someone before he was put in prison, and now he believes himself to be safe there…”

I didn’t hear longer that the name, and it shocked me so badly so I thought I’d faint, but I didn’t. I gulped and spoke.

”How… how long have I got?” I asked him, trembling slightly. I knew that my face was as pale as it could possibly be on a dunmer. I knew I had to put the Dark Brotherhood in front of everything else, and if I didn’t do it, someone else would. It was the life I’d chosen. And still, on this day, I felt like running.

I where young at that time, and where still going to meet people I loved many times, several of them such that I wont bother you with them. But I did not think of that on that day, and for the following weeks, life felt like hell.

I don’t think he ever saw me coming. Or well, probably he knew he where hunted. But I don’t think he ever saw his killer as a woman that had started to love him. For I did indeed love him. My first love was a public maniac. I laugh as I think about it today, but it’s true. And even though I have lived for so long, I can’t prevent myself from regretting what I did, because amongst all the people I have ever loved, my greatest love, was him.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Remko
post Apr 19 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #14

Finder
Group Icon

I was afraid that would happen... I liked it!
anyway, I noticed "I where" several time.

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 19 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, I didn't see that coming - HUGE! Great write on the emotions at the end, Huge!

--------------------
+Quote Post
saqin
post Aug 8 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #16

Agent

One month was the time he gave me. One month to prepare, and kill my target. I woke up at six that following morning, dressed, and went to the lobby. The owner wasn't there yet, sleeping upstairs I presumed, so I left the key on the desk and went out.

Outside on the street I came across a Bosmer, who where walking around yelling out the latest news. It seemed quite strange to do so at that time in the morning, but then the news was quite important.

"Latest news from The Black Horse Courier, get a copy today! The emperor have been assassinated! But who did it?" I listened as he spoke, hoping with my whole body and soul that I wasn't in the paper. And the finally, I went up to him and got a copy. I gave out a sigh of relief when I'd skimmed down the page and seen that my name wasn’t there, I did notice however that they where speculating on whether the Dark Brotherhood had done it.

"So naďve." I murmured, believing that no one would hear me.

"What is so naďve?" Being so in my own thoughts, I hadn't noticed the captain of the guard getting up behind me, Adamus Phillida, the sworn enemy of the Dark Brotherhood.

"Oh sir! Well, think it's naďve to believe the Dark Brotherhood did it since they don't send hordes of assassins after the target, they send one assassin to do it quietly." I answered, a bit shaky, desperately hoping that he wouldn't recognise me. And inside cursing myself for not being a better liar.

"How come you know so much about the Dark Brotherhood?" He asked, and I used all my senses to try and come up with some way out of it.

"Well, they write about them all the time in the paper sir." I answered, bewildered. Right then someone bumped into me from behind. And it certainly wasn't a touch of Sithis. I just felt my hood slide down, and with it my mask, then he stared at my face in shock. And for a moment, I couldn't move.

"I just remembered I need to be somewhere, right now. Bye." I said and spun around, almost tripping over my own feet as I hurried along the road. After a moment he came to his senses and started yelling orders to the guards.

"Get her! The woman in the blue robe is a Silencer of the Dark Brotherhood!" Now I started running, and flung my robe of. I didn't need to look back to know that every guard in the district was after me.

Being almost desperate, I managed to get hold of the upper part of a door and flung myself up so I got a good hold on the wall. Putting hands and feet in small cracks I scaled the wall, luckily avoiding the arrows they sent flying towards me.

Having pulled my body up on the roof I instantly got down in a crouch. I heard the result of failed tries to get up after me, me referring to the sound of bones breaking against the ground. Then I looked around trying to find the network of planks that had been fastened between the roofs, thus creating a quick get away for us that did not always follow the law.

And so I saw it, the closest plank were about 20 feet to my right, and I ran for it. When darting across the plank I felt the breeze as an arrow went past my head. I crossed several roofs in my search for a way out, and then I saw that there was no plank between the roof I was currently on and the wall. The wall was slightly higher than the current roof that I stood on, and I had to make a go for it.

I threw myself as much up as forward, and a relieved sigh escaped from my mouth although it was not over yet. I looked out over the wall on the pavement beneath me and dodged an arrow while cursing my own stupidity. How was I supposed to get down!? Guards where closing up on each side and I'd have to make a go for it. So I once again threw myself out in the air, this time away from the city.

This post has been edited by saqin: Sep 13 2010, 05:04 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 20 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

ARGH! A cliffhanger!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rachel the Breton
post Aug 25 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #18

Agent

Hmmm, this is turning into quite the interesting story. I like that you included a little more of Dreth...I always thought there should be more to him than just he taunts you/you kill him. Can't wait to see how you develop it! smile.gif
+Quote Post
saqin
post Sep 11 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #19

Agent

Well, here there is more! I didn't have acess to a spelling corrector for english when I wrote the majority of this part, so I'm hoping that you can excuse it if there is any faults in the spelling. Great to see that people doesn't stop reading because of my long pauses between posting. smile.gif
And yeah, the chapter will soon be coming to an end. Should I post a new thread or continue in this one? Probably begin with a new one I think...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was inevitable, the ground rushing up to meet me. All I could do, was to reach my arms out for a branch of the big tree that I’d seen from the wall. I managed to get hold of one, but barely for a moment as the force pushing me against the ground forced me to go on. The branches of the tree slowed my fall, but by the time I fell to the ground with a loud thud, there was a deep wound on my leg, and several smaller ones all over my body.

Having temporarily bandaged my leg I half walked, half crawled down the slope. They’d be outside the walls in a minute, searching for me. Just reaching some bushes, I felt my leg give in, and with a grunt I pulled myself into their protection. While touching the wound on my leg with my mind, and as fast as I could healing it, I listened for footsteps.

Several hours later, I rose from the ground. My healing abilities had never been anything to speak of. At my best, I’d been as good as anyone that had just started studying magic, and so, I felt exhausted. Still, I couldn’t stay in the vicinity of the city, and so I began my journey north.

I slept for the night in an old fort ruin on a dirty bedroll that I found at the place. I had no food, and when I woke up again my mouth was parched. My leg was also aching terribly. But none the less, I left the ruin as soon as I’d got all of my things.

One light came during my walk however, because not long from the ruin, I heard the smatter of hooves against the road. And soon the black mare stood before me. I did not wonder why she had a saddle and reins, I knew all to well about what the dark brotherhood could do. I stroke her face and whispered sothing words in her ears. I were overjoyed. It had gone ten months, and still she remembered me! But then again, it truly was an extraordinary horse that Lachance had given me.

Not wanting to be delayed any more, I mounted Shadowmere. She neighed before setting of at the light squeze of my legs, and I leaned in over her neck, for a while forgetting the troubles of the last few days. She carried me steadily and quickly up to Bruma, and then turned right onto the path she knew so well, and the home that had been mine for years.

Getting of Shadowmere I felt a little wobbly standing, so I leaned against her. After standing so for a while, Shadowmere pushed at my shoulder. Laughing slightly, I stroke her forehead and then took of the saddle and briddle.

“Do as you wish girl, I’m going inside for now.” I said to her, and she walked of to find some grass amongst the snow. Myself, I turned to the cave and entered. Finding the cave uninhabited, I turned a lever and watched as one of the walls moved out of my way. The room that showed itself to me contained an old fireplace, a few chests, and a bedroll. I walked through it to a door that had been slightly hidden and entered my small armory. Sighing, I took an steel bow down from the wall, grabbed a quiver with arrows, an elven dagger and a steel longsword. From a chest I took my Dark Brotherhood rainment and donned it, then strapping the weapons to it. In another chest I got a couple of rings, the black band and a normal gold ring. I also grabbed a few lockpicks and a map before I prepared my meal. I’d hunted a deer on my way to the cave, and gotten some water in a sack. Now I prepared the venison and ate.

And so the days went. I trained my skills, and rode on Shadowmere’s back for two weeks before I felt ready to return to the prison. By that time I’d also recovered most of my strength. Not to say that I’ve ever been very strong, because let’s face it, I’m an assassin. And assassin’s are stealthy, stabb in the back kind of fighters.

The sun shone brightly when I departed after having dressed in a dark green robe and gotten some food. I had enough supplies to manage for a few days, and if everything was well, I’d be able to travel the country unnotised as long as I kept my face hidden.

I met many Imperial soldiers on my way, but none of them bothered me. Either they had stopped looking, or they kept their distance because of the tormented determination that I radiated. Myself, I think it was both.

Though I rode as slow as possible, it still did not take long for me to reach the Imperial city, and find the entrance to the sewers through which I had departed but a week ago. It was quite obviously locked, and I took out the key that Lachance had given me.

Walking down the sewers, while dispatching of the occasional rat and crab, I considered what I should do. I could not asimply kill Valen, and neither would I be able to let the guards live. My hate for the Imperials had grown to much during the last two weeks. Though I’d never really liked them before, the hate I felt now had never been present either. It had always just been business to me. As for Valen, I loved him, and for that I felt guilty. I would show him the starcovered sky once more. Maybe we could even swim together in the Rumare. Smiling slightly at my childish dreams, I climbed up a ladder. And crouching in the little room that I now where in, I heard the voices of two imperials. Imperial guards...

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 12 2010, 05:39 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

Really Great Chapter! You use a lot of interesting details that really add to your story !!!!

I think that last paragraph is outstanding, the inner dialogue - natural feel to it, the insigts into the characters mind/thoughts -huge!

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 12 2010, 05:41 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:43 PM