Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Culinary Discussion, We could call it our House of Earthly Delights...
mALX
post Feb 28 2011, 04:14 AM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

Wanting to cook a fancy romantic dinner for a date but on a budget?

If you can't afford prime meat or there is no butcher shop near you - go to your grocery store and get Choice (nothing less !!!) Standing Rib Roast. The first two-four ribs is the section you want, one rib for each person eating (in case your date brings their parents you will want the extra two, lol).

season lightly - rub with salt and pepper only, or you may add the tiniest bit of garlic if you wish. 350 oven for no more than 1 hour for 2 ribs, no more than 1 hour 45 min for 4 ribs. - remove meat and let it rest. Turn up oven to 425-450 and put pan with drippings back into oven. Mix together equal parts flour/egg/milk - season as desired. When pan drippings are sizzling, either pour mixure in and let it spread or to be fancy dollop it (like you were making biscuits or something.

When it rises and is browned lightly - remove and serve with the meat. Serve with a good red wine. I like a good Cabernet Sauvignon with it.

Whatever green vegetable is your preference for color on the plates - I prefer something light like asparagus - NO starchy veggies like peas or corn with this meal !!

When cooking with wine, use as quality a wine as you would serve a guest at the table.

To add an extra "bite" to homemade peanut butter cookies, add just the tiniest pinch of instant coffee to the batter. - Tastes GREAT !! (and always use decent brand of peanut butter - always) If the recipe calls for granulated sugar - don't listen - use brown sugar to dark brown sugar.

The secret to great Scottish Shortbread is to use confectionary sugar instead of granulated

Make your own maple syrup - better than Mrs. Butterworth or Log Cabin - Pure Maple flavoring (not imitation) to taste, real butter, dark brown sugar - bring to boil then thicken - AWESOME and it is HOT when you pour it on your husb's pancakes - he'll feel like you are spoiling him.

Always buy real vanilla flavoring, (NEVER buy any of the imitation flavorings).

If you are boiling ocean shellfish (lobster, crab, etc.) - never salt the water or they will come out over-salty too easily. Instead, put a tiny handful of carroway seeds in.

When boiling ears of corn, don't salt the water. Instead put a tiny handful of sugar in it.

Sprinkling the tiniest bit of sugar on your bacon when you fry it will make it fry up crispy and perfect.

If your recipe calls for butter in your lard, make it homemade - never buy (Crisco or otherwise) "Buttery flavored" lard unless you just want to puke for some reason.

The top crust of a pie should either be latticed evenly or if solid - get a fork and lightly prick patterns into it so it looks nice- flute the pie crust (not crimp it) for the best look - line the flute with tin foil to keep it from browning too much (remove tin foil before serving, of course, lol).

Use a melon ball scoop rather than cutting cubes for any punch that requires cut melons - it is a lot of trouble and takes a lot longer, but the appearance can't be beat.

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 28 2011, 06:19 AM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ahrenil
post Feb 28 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #22

Agent

Sprinkling the tiniest bit of sugar on your bacon when you fry it will make it fry up crispy and perfect.

As a student working off budgeted time before I have to leave for lectures I simply must try this, it takes forever to crisp up bacon normally.

Also to attempt to feel like a contributor I shall add one of my favourite student budget recipes. (Though I am obviously outclassed by the profesional chefs)

Studenty Spaghetti Bolagnaise (I believe that is the spelling anyway)
-Makes around 3-4 portions depending on how you ration, and how much you eat-

500g Mince-I usually go for the best mince simply because it's key to so much of the flavour.
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2-3 rashers of bacon.
Lee and Perrins or another Worcetershire sauce
Half an onion
Half a large pepper
Salt and Pepper.
1 clove of garlic
Enough spaghetti for how many portions you serve at once.

-The walkthrough-

The peppers and onions can be chopped up to taste, I tend to finely slice them both but not dice, as well as some fine slicing of the garlic.
I shall work off the assumptions that people here know how to cook spaghetti, so stick that on.
Heat up your hob and put some oil into a frying pan, i'd suggest using a large lidded one (Though I do not have one with me at Uni)
Lightly fry the mince until it's browned, I don't tend to work off times but i'd say this should only take maybe 7-10 minutes.
Once it's browned nicely add in the onions, pepper and garlic. Meanwhile I tear up the bacon, I find the overall texture is better that way rather than slicing or cutting it with scissors. Fry all of this until the bacons cooked, but not crisp, and the onions have browned.
By this time the spaghetti should be done so set that to drain, and add the chopped tomatoes to your bolagnaise, season it with some salt and pepper and add a healthy dose of the Worcestershire sauce.
Now depending on how thick you want the sauce you can turn down the heat and stick on a lid to let it simmer, or boil it down for a thinner sauce though this may take longer.

I tend to eat all of this at once, because I don't eat much during the day, however it should be fine to portion up and chill, as long as you finish it in a few days and reheat thoroughly.

This post has been edited by Ahrenil: Feb 28 2011, 05:56 PM
+Quote Post
Olen
post Feb 28 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

What you really want is called Parmigiano-Reggiano

For the thrifty among us you could take the advice of the Italians which is to avoid Parmigiano-Reggiano, yes it's very nice but half of what you're paying for is the name. There are pleanty other hard italian cheeses which are exactly the same and half the price, a good cheesemonger should stock them. If in doubt go by age, no one's going to mature a rubbish cheese for several years.

Here's a Tibetan specialty from my travels:
Pho Ja (or something like that, I can't write in Tibetan, it translates as Tibetan Tea), more commonly in English: Salt Tea
Ingredients:
Tea. Chinese brick tea is best, if you can't get it third flush orthodox produced (cheap Darjeeling is likely to be this type) works well, failing that Assam will do, try to get whole leaf (in general leaf tea is much nicer than the muck they put in bags).
Butter.
Milk.
Salt.

Put all the ingredients into a pan, I didn't have anyway of measuring it but for four cups two or three teaspoons (more if you can get brick tea), and 1 part milk to 4 water. Salt is very much to taste, a couple of generous pinches per cup is a good place to start. A bit of butter about the size of the end of your little finger is right per cup.
Bring to the boil, and whisk while boiling for a couple of minutes (you want to disperse the butter throughout the liquid). In tibet they traditionally used a strange wooden tube with a stick to mix it, these days they use a drain-pipe and stick or a whisk (or a blender).
Drink. It's an odd taste but I got to love it, it's very very good for dehydration (a problem at high altitude). Unfortunately I can't be more precise as I was living in a room without power and cooking on a parrafin (kerosene in the US) stove so quantities were guessed, but my tea was generally held to be good.

And another:
Chai (Indian style tea)
Tea: personally I prefer a heavy tea for chai, third flush orthodox is best, Assam is ok.
Milk
Sugar (to taste but there should be a lot, enought that it's slightly thick)
Optional - Spices (cinnamon and cardamom are a good place to start)

Boil the milk and sugar until it's slightly reduced and the milkl has changed it's taste, then add the smae volume of water and the tea (and spices if using) and boil until it reaches the desired strength. It should be very sweet. Drank in small quantities it's a good energy boost.

This post has been edited by Olen: Feb 28 2011, 07:15 PM

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Feb 28 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

Good alternatives for Parmigiano are Pecorino Romano and Asiago if you want something similar but not as expensive. wink.gif

Studenty Spaghetti Bolagnaise (I believe that is the spelling anyway)
The correct spelling is "Bolognese." The full name is "Ragu alla Bolognese."

I don't like the idea of putting Worcestershire into that sauce, though. You can get a decent cooking white wine for very cheap these days. Also, if you have the choice between bacon or pancetta (which you probably won't about 90% of the time unless you regularly shop in a specialty market), go with pancetta.

----

What is the difference between bacon and pancetta, you may ask?

Bacon is salt-cured, smoked, and usually pre-sliced. It is sold as a slab.

Pancetta is salt-cured, but not smoked, and sold rolled.

----

Tip for cutting bacon: freeze it first.

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 1 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ahrenil @ Feb 28 2011, 11:41 AM) *

As a student working off budgeted time before I have to leave for lectures I simply must try this, it takes forever to crisp up bacon normally.

It really does take forever to crisp. It can be microwaved and come out perfect crispy texture, but I was always afraid it would take away from the taste.

QUOTE(Olen @ Feb 28 2011, 01:14 PM) *

* snip *

I've made something similar using Darjeeling - boil the milk with one whole stick of cinnamon in it and several whole Cardamom
- an AWESOME tea !!

Bacon is salt-cured, smoked, and usually pre-sliced. It is sold as a slab.

Pancetta is salt-cured, but not smoked, and sold rolled.

I don't like salt-cured bacon - you can get it sugar-cured instead.

I've had Pancetta once and didn't appreciate it - too salty for my taste (but then again, I don't like overly salty bacon either)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 18 2011, 03:02 AM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

It's time for a quickee-poll!

What is your favorite steak temp (if you eat beef)?

Mine is right between medium-rare and medium.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 18 2011, 03:05 AM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

Medium-rare.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Mar 18 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #28

Knower
Group Icon

Rare ♥

Here's a recipe for macaroni and cheese:

1 Box of macaroni shells
1 cup of milk*
2-3 eggs
3 tablespoons of butter or margarine*
3 lbs of cheddar cheese (the original recipe calls for sharp, but I use mild)

*measurements are approximate

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Boil a pot of water. Once its boiling, add the macaroni noodles.
3. Shred the cheese
4. Mix the milk and eggs together
5. Strain the macaroni noodles
6. Spray pot or baking dish with Pam or butter.
7. Layer noodles, cheese, milk-egg mix, and butter in that order until you have used it all.
8. Bake until crispy at the top (usually 45 minutes to an hour)

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 18 2011, 04:54 AM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 17 2011, 09:02 PM) *

Med-rare to med (err on the rarer side if any)

Favorite steak: Delmonico

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheOtherRick
post Mar 18 2011, 05:25 AM
Post #30

Finder
Group Icon

I'm jumping on the med-rare bandwagon. But it has to be a good cut. I want to eat, not gnaw...

This post has been edited by TheOtherRick: Mar 18 2011, 05:25 AM

--------------------
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

The Talendor Chronicles is my first fan fiction attempt.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 19 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

Depends on cut.

Generally rare, blue for fillet (on those occasions when I come by it).

Rump benifits from a bit more cooking so medium for it, otherwise I find it can have a weird off taste.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Mar 27 2011, 04:40 AM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

I've just discovered a very nice combination: Garlic and Seranno chili peppers in a Red Wine gravy made in the fond of a pan-seared Ribeye with olive oil. Must be New Mexico talking... we'll put chili in everything. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 28 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

You had me at Ribeye...but I'm not big on chili peppers.

Mine:

Saute (in real butter only, no oleo) whole mushrooms, sweet green peppers, and a couple garlic cloves till not quite tender - turn heat off, cover, let rest on eye of stove. Gently fork the Ribeye and rub with (butter, garlic, salt & pepper) before broiling. (that's where I always set fire to the pan by accident).

I stop when it's rare-medium, but cook to your own preference - when you flip the steak, turn the burner back on under the mushroom/pepper/garlic mix - add a good wine when the pan gets hot, remove from heat when steak is done.

I use a slotted spoon to put the veggy mix over the steak and put the liquid in a gravy bowl for people to add as desired.

This post has been edited by mALX: Mar 28 2011, 03:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Apr 10 2011, 06:13 AM
Post #34

Mouth
Group Icon

Good news! It appears that my herb garden has survived the winter! I've checked outside for a few days now, and can confirm that the following have started growing again:

-Parsley
-Marjoram
-Thyme
-Chives
-Sage

I'll soon be all set on fresh herbs for the summer! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 11 2011, 05:01 AM
Post #35

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Apr 10 2011, 01:13 AM) *

Good news! It appears that my herb garden has survived the winter! I've checked outside for a few days now, and can confirm that the following have started growing again:

-Parsley
-Marjoram
-Thyme
-Chives
-Sage

I'll soon be all set on fresh herbs for the summer! biggrin.gif

Too many deer and rabbit around my house to grow tasty stuff. Our vegetable garden got picked clean so many times we decided not to plant the last two years in a row. Five rows of berries, and we haven't been able to sell our blueberries or black rasberries for four years because of neighbors stripping the bushes clean in the night.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Apr 11 2011, 04:03 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

Good news about your herbs, TK! While I was away, Mr. Grits sent me a photo of five deer eating my garden. We live inside the city limits, obviously we need to put up more signs to inform them where they are. I grow my herbs in pots, and they all need replanting this spring. Most of them stay green but don’t really grow over the winter, and I am a relentless over-harvester. embarrased.gif

mALX, your neighbors?! Yikes!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 14 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Apr 11 2011, 11:03 AM) *

Good news about your herbs, TK! While I was away, Mr. Grits sent me a photo of five deer eating my garden. We live inside the city limits, obviously we need to put up more signs to inform them where they are. I grow my herbs in pots, and they all need replanting this spring. Most of them stay green but don’t really grow over the winter, and I am a relentless over-harvester. embarrased.gif

mALX, your neighbors?! Yikes!!

Oh yeah, they are pretty much snobby when they meet you on the street, but every year I catch them bringing several friends over with large buckets to clean us out on berries and apples. We have caught them stealing vegetables too.

My dogs are more sensitive to strangers at night anyway, and they alert me if anyone gets within 20' of our property. So I let the dogs out and listen. If they charge toward the berries barking I know the neighbors are at it.

What they were doing was stealing the berries and selling them themselves. I guess they thought we grew them so they could have an extra income.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Apr 20 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #38

Finder
Group Icon

Omg, I love that there's a food thread! This is awesomeness (yeah, that's my new favorite word, lol).

mALX-- Omg, I can't believe your neighbors would steal your berries and sell them! What big meanies (I would use a different word, but forum rules...). Good thing your dogs are good about protecting your property!

I have a couple of favorite recipes I'd like to share, and they are really easy to make but FULL of flavour--which makes them ideal, in my book! wink.gif

I'll just post one at a time, however, and I'll start with dessert! tongue.gif

Chai-Spiced Cookies

(Tip: They taste excellent with tea or coffee!)

1 c butter, softened
1/2 c powdered sugar
2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients.

2. Shape dough by tablespoonfuls into balls. On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls 1 1/2 inches apart.

3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack; cool 5 minutes.

4. In medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp ground cardamom. and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. Working in batches, gently roll warm cookies in coating mixture. Cool on cooling rack 5 minutes. Roll in mixture again.

These are my favorite cookies, and the aroma of all the spices is almost intoxicating. The flavor is phenomenal. Also, the spices used have many health benefits. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Lady Syl: Apr 20 2011, 10:45 PM

--------------------
Warning: I am totally insane. But I'll tell you a secret--all the best people are.

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Apr 20 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #39

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thomas Kaira @ Mar 17 2011, 09:02 PM) *

I prefer mine medium to well-done. I prefer no pink. It's mostly in my head, but I'm bothered by my meat not being fully cooked. Not burnt, of course. My husband would say I'm kind of hard to please--I'll eat almost anything, but I'm picky about quality, and I like my food done just right. But I won't complain if it's not perfect--I'm nice like that. I'm the kind of person who goes to a restaurant and says nothing when they get the order wrong...lol kvright.gif

--------------------
Warning: I am totally insane. But I'll tell you a secret--all the best people are.

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post
Lady Syl
post Apr 20 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #40

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Feb 27 2011, 09:01 PM) *

The late Mrs Acadian always cooked her turkeys upside down so all the dark greasy moist parts basted down into the dry white bits. It doesn't make for a pretty table presentation, but my goodness, it certainly is moist and tender! tongue.gif

(The current Mrs Acadian won't touch a turkey because it looks too much like a bird. Lol)

lol. I'll admit, I'm not fond of cooking a whole bird, and my husband will do that one for me!

I like the tip about cooking the bird upside down for moisture--that sounds excellent. I will try to remember that the next time we cook a full bird in our house. Sounds tasty! (And who cares about presentation, right? As long as the food's good! wink.gif )

--------------------

Memoirs of a Madwoman
+Quote Post

12 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:56 AM