Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wolf Mods, Skyrim (and more!) for Oblivion
Lena Wolf
post Oct 27 2021, 10:50 PM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

An update in pictures! biggrin.gif

I've updated the map to better match the landscape (Riften lake was not fully drawn), and I've added roads (which already existed before I started). I'll be including the map with the mod - it is for the Dynamic Map.

Notice two Pale Pass crossings. The New Pale Pass comes with TWMP Skyrim Improved and leads to the Cloud Ruler Temple. I made another one though - you see the road on the map. It leads to the Dragonclaw Rock - much closer to the ancient Pale Pass. Also this one is suitable for horses. The Pale Pass Inn comes from another mod, independent and optional. It's a player home, somewhat unfinished - intentionally, they say, to allow you to outfit it yourself. I say it's an old abandoned inn.

Riverwood

Riften Temple of Mara

Riften port at night

Another view

And again

Is the water really pink? Yes, at night. A case of luminiscent algae. Not my doing - comes from the master TWMP Skyrim Improved, and I have no clue how to fix it... sad.gif So, algae.

Riften Keep with Secunda ascending

At the Bee and Barb

At The Right Potion

Riften warehouse

One of the private vaults at the warehouse (the management is not responsible for what customers choose to store in their vaults)

Riverwood is now finished, you can rent a room from Delphine at the Sleeping Giant Inn, and although she's got an attic room, she's not renting it out - it's her Blades hideout! emot-ninja1.gif But if you are a Blade, you can sleep in her bed (if you dare).

I checked the landscapes, and there is really no easy way from Riverwood to The Rift, so I think I'll add a mountain pass to connect Riverwood and Nimalten City. This isn't like making the Old Pale Pass - that worked with only minor changes, but I don't want to completely redo big mountainous areas.

In Riften there are still a few things to do, but all in all it is getting on nicely.

Oh, for those of you who like to play with life's necessities included, I put two toilets in Riften to continue in the vein of the rest of Skyrim - there is a toilet in each settlement, apparently. What a luxury. But only one working jail. Enjoy your stay! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Oct 27 2021, 10:57 PM

--------------------
"What is life's greatest illusion?"
"Innocence, my brother."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 28 2021, 12:57 AM
Post #22

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, some more nice work. I imaging you're having lots of fun just modding Skyrim into your Oblivion!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 28 2021, 08:19 AM
Post #23

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks, Acadian! Yes, fun is the key. biggrin.gif It also helps tremendously that I am not running into any unexpected issues with the underlying plugins, except for the pink water, that is... But I can live with that one. Essentially I can keep it in the load order and go do other things, and it doesn't make the game unstable like some other mods I've tried. And once Riften is finished, I'll release version 1.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 31 2021, 10:47 AM
Post #24

Mouth
Group Icon

We've been sticking flags into the ground with Geralt yesterday. We are checking the trails that lead into Skyrim, adding some new ones where the landscape allows, and updating the map. There were no roads on the map in the first place, and it was hard to draw them correctly switching back and forth between Gimp and the game, but now with this Map Marker Overhaul mod we can finally do it. Fair warning: the mod is not perfect, read the comments.

So yesterday we walked along both Pale Pass trails: the Old Pale Pass that comes out by the Dragonclaw Rock (my addition) and the New Pale Pass that goes over the top of the mountains with many steep stairs. They both start at the Northern Inn from TWMP.

At the Northern Inn

Road sign enlarged

Old Pale Pass is marked with braziers and some leftovers of a paved road.

Is that High Hrothgar? A view from the New Pale Pass.

We've been sticking flags along that route:

As you can see, it turned out quite different from my previous straight line drawing... ohmy.gif Fixed some mod overlaps along the way and the fact that Geralt could not get through the pass right on the top of the mountain. No idea what was wrong with that door, the player goes through just fine, but the follower cannot follow. sad.gif Fixed now (with an actual passage between the doors).

Then we climbed all those stairs again, getting back to the Northern Inn by 3am. Geralt knew exactly what to do. biggrin.gif

In a different stretch of time, we went to check the Eastern routes. Again, lots of flag sticking to fix the map.

A road sign near the Temple of Ancestor Moths

Ancient Dwemer ruin right along the way from this mod - fits perfectly if loaded before TWMP, barring a couple of floating rocks. Might do a patch for that.

Overall, I added quite a few more road signs to help you along. Next we are going West to find routes into Skyrim West of Bruma, with the final goal to reach Ghastley's Falkreath.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Oct 31 2021, 05:11 PM
Post #25

Mouth
Group Icon

I’m using Unique Landscapes so yours is probably different but in my game set-up the route to Falkreath is navigable from this point just past Hermeus Mora’s shrine. There’s no real path marked but I can travel down and back up the northern slope from here. If you look closely you can see the buildings through the trees.

Just watch out for the odd beast as you travel down the mountainside.

Oh, and don't forget the schnapps to keep you toasty warm.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Oct 31 2021, 06:36 PM
Post #26

Mouth
Group Icon

There are quite a few patches from the TWMP team for Unique Landscapes, I haven't looked at them yet. I am not modifying the landscape (well, only very slightly), so I expect to be able to use most patches. But I'll test it later. I am not using UL myself, so this isn't a priority for selfish reasons. tongue.gif

There is no visible route to Falkreath in vanilla or TWMP, but I expect the general landscape to be roughly the same, so we'll just find a slope that we can navigate in both directions and call it "the road". biggrin.gif Such exploration is so much fun! Except may be for the beasts... Never mind an overgrown lone landdreugh - we've got werewolves roaming in packs... Ouch. Regards from TWMP!

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Oct 31 2021, 07:00 PM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 1 2021, 09:49 AM
Post #27

Mouth
Group Icon

Macole - the ice and snow looks different in your game than in mine, are you using some retexturing mods? I had a better look at your screenshot of the road by Hermaeus Mora shrine, I do have that road, it's vanilla, but mine has a different texture to the point that I didn't even recognise it! ohmy.gif Anyway, I see that if you just hop over the ledge and go down the hill, it's easy enough.

I had a mod in my game called The Crystal Chasm (marked as an Ayleid ruin), and it added a beautifully laid out road from just past the shrine, connecting to that disjointed piece of vanilla road that you see on the map. It looks amazing too, but we haven't gone inside yet, but pressed on to Falkreath.

Ghastley - there are no conflicts! biggrin.gif Fits perfectly, whether you put it before or after TWMP in the load order. It looks like TWMP didn't change the vanilla landscape in that area. You can see the chapel from the Crystal Chasm, it works really well together. I'll post screenshots later (wrong computer).

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Nov 1 2021, 05:18 PM
Post #28

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Nov 1 2021, 03:49 AM) *

Macole - the ice and snow looks different in your game than in mine, are you using some retexturing mods?

Yes, I am using some (over 150) retex and replacer mods. My game is a delicate house of cards of 276 mods. The snow I'm not too happy with. At a distance it looks really good but the area that you walk on looked like brown muddy slush. I found the appropriate shader and treid to enhance it myself. It's better but... I don't know. How does it look to you? Of course you can tell since you're not walking on it.

I had a mod in my game called The Crystal Chasm (marked as an Ayleid ruin), and it added a beautifully laid out road from just past the shrine, connecting to that disjointed piece of vanilla road that you see on the map. It looks amazing too, but we haven't gone inside yet, but pressed on to Falkreath.

I considered this house and probably would have used it for that empty area had I not read that it conflicts with OOO's Skiyrim Bandits' major encampment.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 1 2021, 05:50 PM
Post #29

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(macole @ Nov 1 2021, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Nov 1 2021, 03:49 AM) *

Macole - the ice and snow looks different in your game than in mine, are you using some retexturing mods?

Yes, I am using some (over 150) retex and replacer mods. My game is a delicate house of cards of 276 mods. The snow I'm not too happy with. At a distance it looks really good but the area that you walk on looked like brown muddy slush. I found the appropriate shader and treid to enhance it myself. It's better but... I don't know. How does it look to you? Of course you can tell since you're not walking on it.

It does look a bit odd... I don't use any retexture mods because when I look at their screenshots, I invariably prefer vanilla. ohmy.gif Yes, it is a bit rough cut and somewhat low resolution, but your brain gets used to such things very quickly and starts filling in the detail even when there's no detail present. In particular when there's no detail present - this is just how our peripheral vision works. When I play an old game with low resolution graphics, like, say, Two Worlds 1, after ten minutes I no longer see the grainy graphics, it's all filled in. Oblivion has plenty of detail in the texture for my brain to catch, and I don't need higher definition to enjoy it. In fact, if it isn't a perfect texture, then you start seeing the imperfections - the brain is not going to smooth them out for you or fill in imaginary detail when detail is already present! So better low resolution than high resolution but wrong texture.

But to get back to your point - it does look a bit like a slosh, like what you get in late March in cold climates - the snow has already melted and frozen dozen times over, with the dirt from just under it mixed in, and now the sun is warming it, and you are getting this grey-brown-ex-white stuff that is neither snow nor water... yeah, I see your point.

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 2 2021, 11:56 AM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

Remember pink water in my screenshots of Riften harbour? And me not being able to fix it? We've travelled away from Riften and came across another body of water, and it too was pink. I think all of my water is pink at night now. Well... look what the web turned up (finally I asked the right question):

From Step Modification Guide for Oblivion INI:
bUseWaterShader toggles the water shader. Disabling this will cause the water to turn pink. It is recommended to be enabled.

I am on the wrong computer now, but I sincerely hope that this is my problem - and I do remember some clever optimisation mod recommending turning this off to improve graphics performance or something. mad.gif

Otherwise this thread on Nexus offers some advice. I'll keep you posted - this has been driving me quite insane (algae infesting the whole of Tamriel?!).

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Nov 2 2021, 12:05 PM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Nov 2 2021, 03:33 PM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lena Wolf @ Nov 2 2021, 05:56 AM) *

Remember pink water in my screenshots of Riften harbour? And me not being able to fix it? We've travelled away from Riften and came across another body of water, and it too was pink. I think all of my water is pink at night now. Well... look what the web turned up (finally I asked the right question):

From Step Modification Guide for Oblivion INI:
bUseWaterShader toggles the water shader. Disabling this will cause the water to turn pink. It is recommended to be enabled.

In 2017I had similar issue with water reflections when indoor and with cloud cover. Wnem outdoors I could actually see the water change as clouds moved across the sky the water. Sorry I wasn't more timely with this.

black water

adjusted water reflections

This post has been edited by macole: Nov 2 2021, 03:34 PM

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 2 2021, 05:32 PM
Post #32

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks Macole - but black water is different from pink water, I discovered. There are so many ways that things can go wrong... it's frightening.

I launched a systematic investigation and found the problem! biggrin.gif One of my mods was somehow accidentally overwriting the texture of water at night... Go figure. No idea how it happened, but since I did not provide a replacement texture for water at night, the game was showing it in pink. I used TES4Edit to delete the offending record, and lo and behold - the water is water again! biggrin.gif Hurray!

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 2 2021, 07:38 PM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

Guide to Riften

by Linnea Lupus

Available from every reputable bookseller throughout Tamriel.

Riften is a jewel of Skyrim! It has everything anyone could possibly need.

As you approach the city, the Temple of Mara extends you a warm welcome. The priests and healers receive you with open arms, asking only for a moderate fee for their services. In line with Skyrim tradition, you can buy an amulet of Mara from Maramal. Book your wedding well in advance as the temple enjoys unrivalled popularity - it is the only Temple of Mara in Skyrim.

Having booked your wedding at the temple, be sure to also book accommodation with the city's two inns: The Bee and Barb and The Honeydew Inn.

The Bee and Barb is a fine establishment, even if it is run by an Argonian couple. It is bustling with life day in, day out - be sure to sample Talen-Jei's unique cocktails - from the wild Cliff Racer to the smoothest Velvet LeChance. It is said that the legendary you-know-who gave his personal approval for that one.

The Honeydew Inn has fewer beds and a more rustic atmosphere, but it enjoys a quieter location outside of the town proper, has stables for your horses and a public convenience right out back. Have a word with Jorgen the Soothsayer, and you are sure to see things his way.

It is not an exaggeration to say that the harbour is the jewel in Riften's crown, with ships arriving from all over the known world. Not surprising then that most of city's shops are also found here - set into the mountain side, they offer great luxuries inside. The only shop not set into the mountain side is The Forge on the Eastern edge of town - and we are happy it isn't underground, even if the Dwemer swore by it. Be sure to talk to Hans the Smith working outside as well as his apprentice inside. How she could ever learn anything always staying indoors, we have no idea, but be assured that she trades in goods forged by Hans, not herself.

The first shop you encounter on your stroll along the docks, is a general store Odds and Sods. With its playful name, it is a haven for all and everything, and its proprietor Remus Sartoriun is perhaps the most charming Imperial you'll ever meet... Unfortunately, he is an eternal bachelor.

Continuing your walk along the docks, you soon come upon The Right Potion. This alchemy shop has every conceivable drinkable substance in Tamriel - and if Eridor doesn't have it, he can certainly brew it! Why, even the Jarl's son spends his entire afternoons sampling Eridor's creations, and you can too!

Refreshed, you continue your walk along the docks. The next door set into the side of the mountain leads to old and disused catacombs left over by the Dwemer. Known as The Ratway, it is best avoided.

Moving swiftly on, you come upon the Riften Warehouse. A truly imposing structure inside, it is well worth a visit, even if the Warehouse Master Skjor does not let just anyone in. Still, you can see the central dome from the lobby, and Skjor always has an interesting selection of rare goods on offer. Rumour has it that some of the private vaults have indescribable treasures, from rare wines of Elsweyr to ancient trinkets of the Ayleids, or even artefacts from other Realms. However, the management cannot be held responsible for any damage to life and limb that you might suffer if you decide to investigate the many crates and boxes stored there, in particular if they measure 6ft in length.

With the day's shopping done, your walk along the docks brings you to the Riften Watchtower and the ascend to the better part of the city. The Grand Staircase leads straight to the Mistveil Keep - the seat of the Jarl of Riften. Be sure to pay your respects to Jarl Sigfrid Shield-Breaker and try to contain your enthusiasm. Speak to the steward on any mundane matters like purchasing property in the city or collecting your bounty on Sigil Stones.

Leaving the Keep and taking a few steps down the Grand Staircase, you find a landing with two bridges branching off - the one to the South leads to the Riften Watch and the one to the North leads to the Cloud District.

Riften Watch is set on the highest hill of Riften and overlooks the entire city. It houses the City Guard, with their barracks and entertainment. Not a place for a casual tourist.

The Cloud District on the other hand is the finest part of the city, what with its splendid terraced promenade and grand mansions set along it. The view of the harbour is simply breathtaking. One of Riften's most prominent ship owner families have their mansion here - the Tharstans.

Walk along the lower terrace and take the Cloud Staircase down to the docks, enjoying the view on every turn. This is a city you will not want to leave, ever!

This post has been edited by Lena Wolf: Nov 2 2021, 07:39 PM

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 3 2021, 02:15 PM
Post #34

Paladin
Group Icon

Despite her reluctance about the hospitality of those with scales and tails, Linnea gives a delightful tour of this harbor town. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 3 2021, 04:42 PM
Post #35

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks, Acadian! smile.gif The inns and shops in Riften now have a copy of the book somewhere on the counter, along with a local edition of the Black Horse Courier and some random handbills (not to mention private notes carelessly left lying around by various irresponsible citizens). For some strange reason however at the Bee and Barb the copy of the guide got flung under a mead keg... ohmy.gif No idea why.

So we now have bits of information as well as rumours floating around Riften. I have also recruited 25 guards - order will be upheld! It is well needed with 60 or so inhabitants, including a dozen sailors. The Keep is being outfitted as we speak, we already have guard uniforms in Riften colours from a TWMP mod, but we need to see about getting banners and rugs for the Keep updated as well. Jarl Sigfrid Shield-Breaker is not to be crossed! ohmy.gif

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 6 2021, 07:51 PM
Post #36

Mouth
Group Icon

BLACK HORSE COURIER
RIFTEN EDITION

Massive effort to improve safety in city

"Riften is now the safest city in Skyrim!" - said the Court Steward in an interview with Black Horse Courier. "We have undertaken a truly epic effort to close all gaps between the pier sections in the harbour and the nearby mountain side. No more will you get stuck between the rock and the pier waist deep in water! This unprecedented effort puts Riften on the map!"

We always thought that Riften was already on the map, however. Perhaps the Steward needs to update his maps, since his Morrowind edition appears to be outdated.

"We are very grateful to the Jarl for these repairs" - the proprietor of Odds and Sods Remus Sartoriun told the Black Horse Courier. "It is certainly much safer to walk around the docks now. Why, only last week I nearly twisted my ankle just as I was leaving my shop. Fortunately, I was able to jump out of the ditch, but not everyone has such skills! And once you are stuck, gods know what can happen! I should be really worried."

Well, if Remus Sartoriun is worried, then what is left to the rest of us? Not everyone boasts his agility and charm... Why, he could defeat a bandit by charming him!

"Riften does not have any criminal elements at all" - Captain of the City Guard Olga Ice-Veins assures us. "Anyone saying otherwise is committing subterfuge which is punishable at my discretion. Naysayers are arrested and taken to the dungeons until such time that the Jarl herself comes to interview them. After that I determine the punishment."

When we ask how long the average prison term might be, she informs us that so far no one survived an interrogation by the Honourable Jarl Sigfrid Shield-Breaker.

We hasten to declare that Riften is indeed the safest city in Skyrim!

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 6 2021, 08:50 PM
Post #37

Paladin
Group Icon

It's the safest damn city in Skyrim! If you don't believe us, we'll kill you! tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 6 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

We've heard rumours about a certain Guild hiding in the sewers... Nah, can't be! Those are just rumours! tongue.gif

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post
macole
post Nov 7 2021, 07:28 AM
Post #39

Mouth
Group Icon

A good report by the Black Horse Courier. I think I'll visit elsewhere, by the way.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
+Quote Post
Lena Wolf
post Nov 7 2021, 09:49 AM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

Whatever you mean - it is perfectly safe! Especially now with all those gaps boarded over. Quite literally. Regardless of all my previous pathing efforts, the citizens of Riften keep choosing dangerous paths that lead them off the pier and into the water. And while there is nothing wrong with a refreshing swim in the lake, falling off the pier on the side of the mountain slope caused them to get stuck between the pier and the mountain. Even Talen-Jei's Cliff Racer can't help them to get out of the ditch. But no more. The gaps are now boarded over!

--------------------
"Innocence, my brother."

+Quote Post

19 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:20 PM