Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prologue to Oblivion, Char. 2: Derrick
milanius
post Jul 31 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #1

Agent

Like a vain creature I am, I have rushed and made mistakes, I guess... but the truth is, a writer has to be a master of narration and also blessed with rich inner life and imagination to achieve realistic multitude of views and perspectives from several different characters. I must apologise, since I am not that good with pen & paper and not nearly creative enough... but you asked for it. And I apologise for gramatic mistakes & all - this is completely unedited text, unpolished and raw. With all this said, I still hope you'll enjoy it, at least a bit.
Previous parts of this "saga" can be found
HERE

Prologue (Derrick): A prayer for the damned

“True religion is real living; living with all one's soul, with all one's goodness and righteousness.”
[Albert Einstein]

"Akatosh, Arkay, Dibella, Julianos, Kynareth, Mara, Stendarr, Zenithar and our Empire's founder and father, Talos... Beloved Divines, my strength and faith to you. Protect us. Protect him."

This is how my prayers began every single day ever since we left Morrowind. I know I have lived my life with faith and pride. Maybe it is a mistake, to feel pride for things that should be given to others without expectation of reward. Maybe I am still too young and unworthy. Still, I have never seen someone so... undisciplined, so inert and insolent toward authority, so... untrusting. Indeed, that last observation may carry most weight when one is describing the Wanderer. He is so untrusting of anyone's intentions at times that I often wonder how, in the name of Mara's mercy, the Oracle made him agree to come to this journey.

However, I would not pray like this for someone if I did not deem that person worthy, although his appearance may confuze even the sharpest eye. Yes, Milanius is really a pathetic figure. Those ten days we spend on the high seas beneath Tamriel's continent he was in constant fear that someone is making the ocean rampant, in order to devour us all. I have never heard that Daedra involve themselves in such shenanigans; it was just such time of the year, the sea was uneasy and stormy - but he kept blaming the rough sea to be of supernatural cause. Silly.

We kept practicing swordplay and Restorative incantations inspite of the weather - sometimes on the deck, sometimes within the ship's hull. Milanius prove himself to be more than accomplished fighter. It took him less than a week of intense training to get himself into shape and parry my own moves with ease, once he completely got alcohol out of his system. It was not easy, though - several times I caught him mixing potent brews in his cabin and every time I wrestled the bottle from him he growled at me, calling me a "party pooper", but still he did not resort to violence like most drunkards. One strange man he is, alright.

Although I was helping him with most of the things I could, essentially teaching him few new fighting techniques that involved shorter blades, fighting staffs and bare hands, he did most of the alchemist's work alone. Many times I've watched him as he was happily occupied, creating all sorts of potions, ones that could restore person's health or strength in a matter of seconds; others, that could induce feeling of lightness in body and spirit, so powerful that a man could start levitating at once; and dangerous toxic mixes that could knock down a Nord barbarian like he was a baby. He really enjoyed this work of his; when I asked him once why is he, a Spellsword, submitting so much time and energy to such practices he frowned at me and then replied with patience and wisdom so uncommon to his character: "Dear Derrick, when one finds himself in a tough place, between a hammer and anvil, one has to do everything possible to survive. One can choose to believe that one of these things", he held up the silver sword that Oracle had gave him in one hand and the quill he used for scribing scrolls in other, "is more powerful than the other... but, a truly wise man will carry BOTH of them and utilize them in every way possible. For me, it means that I carry my mortar and pestle in least, everywhere, even if I'm unarmed."

After finishing that sentence, he handed me a small vial of purple potion that smelled strong, but not unpleasant. "Taste it - it is the essential mixture of Cliffracer meat and Trama root juices"; I almost instantly guessed the effects that potion would have on me, but I gladly satisfied his request. Once I've drank the content of vial I immediately felt the sea breeze that was coming trough the open hatch in his cabin; all my body felt hollowed, incredibly easy, as if I've become similar to those Netch animals that gracefully traverse skies over Vvanderfell and my feet, when I looked at them that very moment, weren't even on the floor. I was levitating quite slowly and in a second I managed to bump my head into the cabin's low ceiling.

Milanius laughed and told me that the potion is short-lived and that I should be careful and not get myself off the floor level too much. I've nodded and waited a few dozen seconds for the effects to wear out; during that time he started to chew remains of the Trama he used for potion - "keeps me alert and fresh, that trama root", he said and I just nodded again. Afterwards, my body began to feel heavier gradually and I've bumped onto the floor from a foot high. "Now can you understand", Milanius spoke, "that even such humble, simplest resources that come from our environment can make a tremendous difference in the hands of skilled alchemist? One should never forsake nature - it has made us, Men and Mer and Beasts, what we are, it had always given us all that we need. Please, remember that the next time you start believing that true strength lies only in the muscle or the blade."

Another few days have passed since that event, as we came quite close to the Topal Bay and entered its calm waters. The storms were finally behind us and Milanius was with me on the deck of the ship, enjoying the setting sun's rays and warm breeze. We were just finished with our daily session of swordplay and I was standing several feet from him, looking at him all the time. He seemed somehow at peace; he looked intensely at the north, where our heading was. He had already told me few days ago, although vaguely, that he was born in Cyrodiil and that he lived in the Imperial City for nearly a decade and a half... however, he also confessed that he was a part of one particularly dangerous band of cutthroats and criminals. This had me stunned for a while, but nevertheless I was anxious to learn more about the man who was chosen by the Oracle for this quest. But Milanius, always cautious and untrusting, only told me bits and pieces from his former life, before he was send as a prisoner to Vvardenfell; somehow I managed to make a picture from all these bits of his life... it was not a pretty or pleasant picture.

In contrast to him, I spoke about my life with ease and love. I spoke about my loving parents and especially about my father Kaye, who had even met Lord Nerevar Reborn once; this, however, didn't impress Milanius much. He was amused, but not impressed by Nerevar, or 'Nerevanine' as he stubbornly called him. "I don't believe in heroes, I never did", he said. I asked him then: "Well, what do you believe in? You acknowledge our Gods and Daedra, sure, but you don't worship any?", and he just nodded. "Heroes are, by far, the most egocentric creatures that walk the Nirn", he explained, "making everyone, including themselves, believe that they can actually save the world. That is stupid - you can do a good deed once in a while, you can alter several destinies to some extent, accomplish great things in one lifetime..., and even achieve Godhood, like Nerevanine did. But you just can't save everyone and everything. That is why I'm satisfied if I can do one good thing once in a while, without taking myself too seriously".

As he went to his cabin, leaving me to ponder on his words, I noticed that one of the crewmembers, young Dunmer with strange tattoos on his left cheek and forehead, had come close to me, looking at me quite nervously. I recognized this character; he was the one that had been looking intensively at both of us, but mostly at Milanius, for several days now. He greeted me in awful Imperial language and I recognized his accent after few seconds - the dark elf's roots were obviously from Ashlands, although he was trying to conceal that.

"Are you the friend of that man, the one called Wander'r ?" he asked with curious tension in his voice; I've replied: "I am, why would you want to know that ?" Dunmer sighed greatly; he stretched his face into a smile and it was obvious that he was more than merely pleased with my answer... and then he continued quickly "Praise Prophet Veloth ! I am so glad I found him !" and then he told me a not-so-short story about Milanius.

A whole decade ago, right about that time when Lord Nerevar rise to defeat Dagoth Ur and his henchmen in that historic duel at the Red Mountain, Ashlander tribe of Ahemussa had suffered greatly. The weather of year was awful, ridding them of nearly half of their crops and lowering their chances of stockpiling enough Marshmerrow and Whickweat for winter; also, the Blight that had been plaguing the entire region had spawned a host of sick, enraged animals - those were becoming more and more daring, attacking tribesmen nearly every time they went to hunt... and with every day situation got only worse, because no one was interested in their sufferings. Imperial garrison in Wolverine Hall wasn't interested in Ahemussa, as they did all their trading with Telvanni and, on occasions, with Zainab of Grazelands; Telvanni, on the other hand, didn't even recognize Ahemussa as intelligent beings, not even bothering to think about them more than they would about a pack of kagouti. The days were bleak and grim for the tribesmen; they have lost almost one third of their best hunters to death form wild animals and disease and it seemed that their fate was only going to get worse.

Then, one day, an odd thing occurred - lone adventurer, an Outlander which was interested in smuggler’s caves that were dotted across the area came to their camp and witnessed their hardship. After day and a half he spent with them, he gave a proposal to their Wise Woman: "Pay me what you can - in return, I'll cleanse the area of ill Kagouti, Alit, Nix-hounds and other vermin, and even bring you some supplies from the field when I return." It was a curious and strange bargain, but our leader agreed and the pale, dark-eyed Outlander disappeared.

He returned five days later, carrying two full, heavy sacks with him; one contained clean, treated nix meat, and the other was full of merrow and some other herbs. He gave both of those, as well as several healing potions, to Ahemussa chieftain; in return, he gave him a full bag of golden coins, two hundred of them - almost all that the tribe could gather in that time. Outlander eyed the gold a few times, tied the bag and then he gazed at our encampment and the people that were around for some time. Then, he did something extraordinary; he opened the bag once again, taking a single coin out of it; he put that coin in his shirt's pocket and afterwards he strapped the bag once again. Then he threw the bag right in the arms of bewildered Ashkhan, with these words: "You need it more than I do. In any case, I got paid; it is bad luck for a mercenary to refuse his reward, anyway". After saying that he just smiled, turned away and went south.

I was enchanted with the story, and I used the pause Ashlander sailor gave me to ask: "So this Outlander... that was Milanius ?" "Aye", sailor replied, "Although we only learned of his nickname, we owe him a huge debt of gratitude. I was much younger then, but I remember that year as one of the worst in my life. The Blight was bad, and we would all be dead if several people, including our Lord Nerevar Reborn, didn't come to our aid. But Wanderer was the most benevolent. He brought us food then; he managed to reduce the number of blighted beasts with such thoroughness that our hunters didn't encounter any of them in the next six weeks; he gave us our gold back, which we used to buy provisions for wintertime; and during that short time he spent with us he hasn't shown nothing but curiosity and respect for our ways. Years after that event I remembered him as much as we remembered Nerevanine; it was these two men who convinced me that the outside world, no matter how hostile it looked, couldn't be all that bad, which ultimately made me seek fortune in the cities of civilized Dunmer. Although I haven't had some special luck in my life I can't complain; I've became a sailor and I have seen many strange lands and things I couldn’t even imagine when I was young... and your friend deserves some thanks from my behalf."

With these words Dunmer took off a small ruby red amulet from his chest and gave it to me. "Here", he said, "this is the Lifeguard of Ahemussa. It doesn’t do much, just replenishes some of the vigor and health to its carrier when it's needed. I would gave it myself to Wanderer, but our tribe's leaders took his gesture on that day as a form of insult and forbade us to speak with him, if we were to encounter him ever again; although I don't agree with this, I must respect my Tribe's bidding... maybe it was this lack of gratitude that made my decision of leaving the tribe easier, I don't know, but I know this; I have to show gratitude in some way to that man. Please, give him this amulet once you disembark and tell him he has friends in world. Will you honor my plead ?"

I just nodded and smiled. Dunmer then shook my hand, whishing blessings upon me, and then he went off to his duties. I looked at the small amulet, as I recollected the whole story underneath the sky that was already filled with stars. I had many doubts about Milanius for days, but after this story they were all blown away, like leaves in the stormwind. I could argue that Milanius was reckless, insolent, anarchic and undisciplined at times, but I could not say that he didn't have compassion and good will - not after hearing the story I've heard. Sure, many better men and women were more prepared and skilled than the two of us for this quest, but life can't prepare one for everything, and that's why we were both going to Cyrodiil to try and stop the doom of Royal bloodline. We were wiling and able and, therefore, ready.

Two days after this we finally landed on the Imperial City's docks, both under false names. The Oracle has already given me the list of possible Blades contacts that could arrange meeting with Caius Cosades and, ultimately, with Emperor himself, and we were about to head for city; right after our ship sailed away for its next destination, I pulled Milanius to the side and presented him Dunmer's amulet, along with his story. At first he was furious because I didn't inform him of this earlier, protesting because 'the man at least deserved a round of flin', but eventually he calmed down, realizing that it would be against Ashlander's wishes. He slued the amulet round in his palm for a while and then he raised his eyes to me, saying simply "Let's get on with work".

Today, it's already ten days past that talk we had. We cannot find Cosades anywhere and, although we did managed to find one highly influential member of Blades that promised us she'll do what she can in Court, Milanius's bad mood and temper has gone worse - mostly because his nightmares are back. This time it seems that they can't be stopped; as a result he is desperate now and less concentrated on work at hand... he's spending his days chewing Trama, which keeps him awake but nervous, and devotes his nights to carnal pleasures, which I highly disparage. Although I can't stop him and although he hasn't showed signs of mental collapse yet, he is weary and weak for most of the time... but somehow, he still manages to sway things his way. And although he had forsaken prayer once more, I haven't. I still believe in us, in our beloved Gods and in him.

"Akatosh, Arkay, Dibella, Julianos, Kynareth, Mara, Stendarr, Zenithar, Talos... hear my call, our beloved Divine Spirits, and protect us..."

edit: did some polishing after all wink.gif
edit no.2: more polishing, did some re-structuring, as advised wink.gif

This post has been edited by milanius: Aug 15 2006, 09:39 PM

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 31 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Solid work Milanius! You're taking an interesting approach with each chapter being under a different character's point of view. Very George RR Martin of you. And you characterize really well. You build a strong comparison between Derrick and Milanius in this chapter that is very enjoyable to read. And don't worry about the little errors, they can always be sorted out at a later time, and none of the are glaring that they distract the reader from the story anyways. Keep up this good stuff!

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Aug 7 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Unpoloshed or not, it was really good. You learn something about three different characters here, all through the words of one.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Zarrexaij
post Aug 14 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

Don't take any offense by this, but the length of the paragraphs has me reading the same bunches of sentence several times. Please make the paragraphs shorter. It's very distracting.

Other than that, I have no complaints.

This post has been edited by Zarrexaij: Aug 14 2006, 01:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
milanius
post Aug 14 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Agent

I have done a bit of paragraph-splitting, dear Zarrexaij, but other than this I can't do more - it would compromise the structure of storytelling (although I do admit I can write gigantic sentences that even make my head hurt).

As for the complaints, please people, don't hold back punches biggrin.gif there is no such thing as bad criticism.

--------------------

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
minque
post Aug 20 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Oh Milanius....my dearest! Just discovered I haven´t commented....yet but I´ve re-read it now and I loved it even more the second time! I also must say that paragraphing did wonders.....

Now apart from that technicalities the story is ju wonderfully emotional, I have no more words for it, other than you have to promise me NEVER stop writing!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
milanius
post Aug 22 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #7

Agent

QUOTE(minque @ Aug 20 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Now apart from that technicalities the story is ju wonderfully emotional, I have no more words for it, other than you have to promise me NEVER stop writing!

Erm, you do realise that humans, just like everything else, have Expiration Dates ? laugh.gif

But anyway, to prevent spamming, I'd like to give a few words about young Derrick's character here.

While Mil and that 3rd person I'm concidering still are grey-area characters, with endured hardship and more or less lousy lives, Derrick is a perfect picture of what anyone could become if he/she had love and healthy enviroment from Day 1. Derrick had both his parrents, who loved him very much. Although he was introduced to the church of Divines and their worship he isn't really what you could call an 'uptight moralistic a$$' biggrin.gif He is a higly moral person, but also very balanced, focused and efective when job is at hand.

Also, although he includes Dibella into his prayer, he is more concentrated on meditation and practice of combat skills then chasing women biggrin.gif this is somewhat a waste of precious time in his eyes, as Derrick perceives Nirn as a place that's in constant turmoil and there are far too many jobs that need attention, before one can devote self to pleasures - in other words, Duty to family, friends, Temple and people in need comes before fun, but that is by no means discouraging for him - because he enjoys being a helper and solver of problems.

Devotion and respect is, however, hard to ensure with Derrick. He accepts his missions and duties from people who are his superiors, rarely or never questioning their choices, but the people with whom he works with leave him sad and a bit frustrated. Derrick sees unused potential in everyone and that's why Mil's carelesness, scepticism and cinicism often leave him confused. While Mil doesen't pay much attention to good deeds he (might have) done during his life, for Derrick doing good is the ultimate way of improving world and surroundings of one self. Therefore, Derrick is something you could call 'Paladin', and in some ways he is the embodiment of goodness and purity in all of us.

[Milanius: uuugh tongue.gif count me OUT, mate! ]

--------------------

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:40 PM