Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Telekinesis Concern
Anesthetic
post May 20 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Associate

In Morrowind, telekinesis was an extremely powerful spell, and easily obtainable. Telekinesis made virtually any object in the game stealable, as long as you could see it. My concern is that when Oblivion comes out, the tricks I learned in Morrowind will be applied to Oblivion, thus making my character too powerful and the game less enjoyable. While there are several ways to make your character overpowered, I think making telekinesis a much harder spell to cast, or atleast much harder to get might be a good way to go. Either that, or maybe telekinesis has a chance % to fail mid way, causing the object your moving to drop. Or perhaps make the AI more capable of noticing - or even if maybe the guards could notice the disappearances of the objects over time. I'm not really sure as to the solution, but I do think this is a problem and am interested to see if anyone else feels the same way. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 20 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Lurker
Group Icon

Telekinesis seems to have been improved now, a lot.

By the sounds of it, items won't instantly go into your inventory or anywhere for that matter.

Instead, you can lift things up and hurl them around.

And I bet guards and NPCs will become a bit suspicious when they see items hovering around in mid-air. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Anesthetic
post May 20 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Associate

I hope so. Wouldn't it be difficult to script something to allow the guards to not only recognize something moving, within their line of vision, but to respond to each individual object? I wonder how or what the appropriate reactions would be, would the guards have a % chance of detecting the source of the movement, would they follow the movement of the object? try to grab it and set it back down tongue.gif Thanks for the response(s)
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 20 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #4

Lurker
Group Icon

Hehe, I can see some funny scenarios followed by this. Guards jumping around, trying to catch their precious weapons that are mysteriously floating above them. devilsmile.gif

Anyway, I bet the NPCs' will react to moving objects. Or at least I hope so... So far I don't think they have really told us more about telekinesis (or any other magic either).
+Quote Post
Darkwing
post May 20 2005, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Master Gimp
Group Icon

You can be sure that a guard seeing you walk into a shop, wiggle your finges and watch a crate of weapons slowly float over the counter will probably smell a rat.
+Quote Post
Anesthetic
post May 20 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #6

Associate

right, but as long as something is obstructing the view of the guard to you, you use to be able to get away with anything. Even if their was just a small pillar holding up the roofing to a building, if you hide behind it, the guards wont be able to detect you when you swipe stuff. I think coming up with an effective solution to this is going to take a lot of work personally :/ Anyway, just recently I created a character who doesn't use magic, and doesn't steal. So far it's been a pretty different experience.-one that i'd recommend trying anyway.
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 20 2005, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Lurker
Group Icon

Well, if the NPCs can see the object that's being moved but not by whom I think they will examine their environment more and search for the source of the spell and the disturbance in the item's position.

So if the NPC was to walk to the item then he/she could see you, since you have to see the item in order to move it.

I expect something like this to be in.

(and your character sounds an awful lot like the prudent Nord I play most of the time wink.gif )
+Quote Post
Anesthetic
post May 20 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Associate

heh. Every other time I've played this game all my characters seem to be the same. They are this extremely powerful caster with a ton of ridiculous enchantments and armor, making even fighting Vivec boring. All the hype regarding oblivion has made me interested in trying to do a few things differently in morrowind. In order to restrict your character though, it really requires you to role-play and act in character as you explore the game. That's something I didn't really understand my first time around. Joining the Imperial Legion, and getting the first quest to get the land deed was awesome because I ultimately had to decided how far my character should go in order to get the deed. Whether he was more a representative of the Imperial Legion or a man of the people. heh
+Quote Post
Channler
post May 20 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

lol, I always killed the woman... she irratated me..

Anyways I never use the telekenisis spell in morrowind so could you explain to me what it did?

--------------------
“I'm not insensitive, I just don't care.”
-Anonymous
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Rane
post May 20 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #10

Lurker
Group Icon

Well, you could use it to instantly pick up stuff that was otherwise out of reach. The magnitude of the spell decided how far away the effect of the spell could go, so anything within the spell range could be activated.

Also, you could use the spell to open doors and trigger traps from a distance so that you wouldn't get hurt.
+Quote Post
Aki
post May 21 2005, 01:52 AM
Post #11

Mouth
Group Icon

[quote=Rane]Hehe, I can see some funny scenarios followed by this. Guards jumping around, trying to catch their precious weapons that are mysteriously floating above them. devilsmile.gif

Anyway, I bet the NPCs' will react to moving objects. Or at least I hope so... So far I don't think they have really told us more about telekinesis (or any other magic either).[/quote]

It'd be more fun to make a bookcase fall on them. :paperbag:

--------------------
IPB Image

"You’ve put up a good fight, but I’m through playing. Now I’m going to kick your [censored] and tell of my glory under the next full moon. Die well.”

+Quote Post
legere_delibo
post Jun 3 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Associate

What about invisibility and camouflage? In Morrowind, if you cast a spell for invisibility for thirty seconds and while in sneak mode stole something, say a ring, in a matter of ten seconds, you would become visible instantly, right? Shouldn't the spell last until the thirty seconds is up and not just when you steal an object?

--------------------
A room without books is as a body without a soul.

-Cicero
+Quote Post
Soulseeker3.0
post Jun 4 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #13

Master
Group Icon

yes I think that the invisbility was "rigged" and that you should be able to continue the remainder of the spell duration invisible. and I also think that the telekenisis thing should and will be fixed. I have faith in Bethesda and fix all of the stuff.

--------------------
IPB Image
(linky)

SKA

This was pretty unusual, because most children at his age wanted to become great warriors, known all through time as saviors of, well, anything - Toroabok
+Quote Post
Fuzzy Knight
post Jun 4 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

Hope telekenisis will at least be as good as the Gravity Gun in HL2 :lickinglips:
+Quote Post
Leraje
post Jul 1 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #15

Associate

if invisibility effects lasted the full duration even after you picked something up, it'd be way too easy to steal. After all, invisibility is much easier to cast than 100 percent camo. In oblivion, you might be able to steal something under an npc's nose with spells, but imagine trying to walk out of their home/shop waring (maybe carrying?) their full suit of elven armor (not likely)

--------------------
There once was a girl named Bright
Whose speed was faster than light.
She traveled one day
In a Relative way
And returned on the previous night.
+Quote Post
Intestinal Chaos
post Jul 11 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #16

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm sure telekenisis will be much more balanced in Oblivion considering the objects (and/or people) will now physicaly float. I can just imagine a thief character floating a rare artifact from one end of the museum to the other trying not to let the guards see it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:07 AM