202 Pages V « < 94 95 96 97 98 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
SubRosa
post Nov 15 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #1901

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been watching Off Limits on and off for the past few weeks. The host basically take you into places that have been abandoned for decades, or centuries, or are highly sensitive and off limits to most people (like an old ICBM silo that the military still keeps in pristine condition, including the missile - but without warhead).

It is rather hit or miss. Some of it is really cool, other parts kind of humdrum. The writer in me loves seeing these dark, lonely, abandoned places. The many tunnel systems are just fascinating to me. From underwater pumping stations that were parts of dams or locks, to old sewers, highway tunnels, and the aforementioned missile silo. I keep thinking "this would be a great place for a horror movie" or even an action movie.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 15 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #1902

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I think I´d like that show too, SubRosa. Sounds fascinating smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Nov 16 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #1903

Master
Group Icon

Treydog! I have Miss Fisher Mysteries in my queue and noticed there are new episodes too! I watched the first season earlier in the year and was hooked on her game spirit and her anything-goes 'tude!

Still working my way through the Midsomer Murders. I'm now in Tom Barnaby's (John Nettles) last season, and I'm going to miss him. There's so much about both the actor and the character that I really enjoyed.

So maybe once I'm done with Midsomer County, I'll head back to Australia and our lovely Phryne to see what fresh trouble she is getting into (with her gold plated (!) pistol!).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 16 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #1904

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Nov 16 2014, 07:09 PM) *

Still working my way through the Midsomer Murders. I'm now in Tom Barnaby's (John Nettles) last season, and I'm going to miss him. There's so much about both the actor and the character that I really enjoyed.

I stopped watching some time before he quit, actually. The show had drifted away and with no Troy I didn´t have much interest anymore. Still watch the old ones with great joy though smile.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 16 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #1905

Ancient
Group Icon

Thanks to watching the Appendices last week, I watched the two Hobbit movies again this weekend. I wanted to see all those little things that I learned about in the Appendices for Desloation of Smaug. Like Stephen Colbert's cameo (he is the first of the Laketown Master's spies, the one with the eyepatch). The waitress in the Inn of the Prancing Pony scene at the start of Desolation is Peter Jackson's daughter. She was also one of the hobbit children in Fellowship of the Ring. Luke Evans, who played Bard, also played his great-great-great grandfather Girion in the flashbacks of Smaug laying waste to Dale. Bard's two daughters are played by the RL daughters of James Nesbitt, who plays Bofur. His now separated wife plays Bilbo's mother, so every member of the Nesbitt family is in Desolation of Smaug!

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Nov 16 2014, 07:52 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Nov 17 2014, 04:20 AM
Post #1906

Master
Group Icon

Had a twofer last night. Watched Days of Future of Past, and after that, Noah (2014). I have already watched DoFP before in a cinema, but the action never stopped wowing me. The initial intro fight scene was meh-meh; their Last Stand with Magneto was what cemented my growing love for the X-Men. (More of a Deadpool guy, myself)

Michael Fassbender's performance of Young!Magneto was frickin' awesome too. Particularly the scene where he shut down Charles just by saying the names of fallen mutants. And Peter "I'm-So-Fast-Everything's-Slow-Motion" Maximoff simply cannot be left out. If I could save Time in A Bottle indeed! I'm kind of neutral about Wolverine this time around, although there was one scene where I felt Jackman really represented the turmoil within Wolvie.

---

Noah was... Hmm. To be honest there were some parts that I thought was biblical, some parts that I thought distanced themselves from the real version but still biblical and some parts that I thought would fit in a nature documentary. A good film, all in all.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Nov 17 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #1907

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Nov 16 2014, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Nov 16 2014, 07:09 PM) *

I stopped watching some time before he quit, actually. The show had drifted away and with no Troy I didn´t have much interest anymore. Still watch the old ones with great joy though smile.gif

I agree with you, Troy was a lot of fun. Especially his consternation when confronted with those who lived "on the other side of the fence." wink.gif The second DS - Scott, was not as likable as Troy. In fact, I felt he was rather an a-hole. Fortunately he did not last long, and Ben Jones replaced him after a couple of seasons. I really like Ben Jones and find his interactions with Tom Barnaby a lot of fun. Ben Jones is quite smart and canny in his own way, and much more personable. I really like the give and take between the two of them.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Nov 17 2014, 05:17 PM
Post #1908

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Yes, Ben was a great substitute and I could roll with him as Barnaby´s sidekick. But still, I felt the show´s atmosphere had changed and it wasn´t like before. And if you know me, I almost always like how something was before.. wink.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Grits
post Nov 18 2014, 10:23 PM
Post #1909

Councilor
Group Icon

Today was our first really cold day, so it’s time for a fire in the fireplace and a Lord of the Rings marathon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 18 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #1910

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 18 2014, 01:23 PM) *

Today was our first really cold day, so it’s time for a fire in the fireplace and a Lord of the Rings marathon.

Only one thing could make that better:
QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 18 2014, 01:24 PM) *
Toasted cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup by the fire.

happy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 18 2014, 11:50 PM
Post #1911

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Nov 18 2014, 04:23 PM) *

I am already ahead of you. After watching the 2 Hobbit movies that are out so far over the weekend, I started on Fellowship of the Ring on Sunday, and finished it last night. Watching the Hobbits first really made Fellowship better. Some things really came more to life, like Bilbo's trolls on the road, the pity of Bilbo in sparing Gollum, and of course Balin's tomb in Moria. The latter is no longer just a dusty old grave, but the final resting place of that charming, white-haired old Dwarf who was always so level-headed, the voice of reason to counter Thorin's passion. sad.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Nov 18 2014, 11:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 23 2014, 01:20 AM
Post #1912

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched the first episode of Crossbones today. So far it is so good. John Malkovitch plays Blackbeard, and he doesn't look a thing like Edward Teach. But they make it work, as the show is set ten years after Blackbeard was killed. Somehow he has survived and is back to ravage the Atlantic. I think being older, balder, and thinner is not unreasonable for someone back from the dead.

Richard Coyle plays the protagonist. I have been watching him these last few weeks in Covert Affairs, and I have really liked him there. So I jumped up and exclaimed "I know that guy! It's... it's... him!" He plays a doctor who is also a secret agent sent to assassinate Blackbeard. I am not sure if I totally agree with his decision not to kill Blackbeard at the end of the first episode.

But I am giving it the benefit of the doubt, because so far I really like all the characters. The dialogue is especially outstanding. Plus of course there is John Malkovitch. He's just fun to watch in anything.

Right now I am watching the Appendices of the LOTR films. Namely the part about bigatures. Where other movies have miniatures, LOTR had bigatures, because they were so big (some of them are gigantic!). They look like they would be so much fun to play in!

They made 80,000 tiny skulls for the City of the Dead scene, where all the skulls come pouring out of the walls. And there were plenty more full-sized skulls they had to make for the live action shots as well.

The Minas Tirith bigature had a whole team of people constructing it. It had over a thousand individual houses. It fills the building they made it in. 7 meters tall, and 6.5 meters in diameter.

Now I am into costume design. I didn't realize that the same guy who played the Uruk-Hai captain Lurtz in the first movie, also played the Witch King, and finally Gothmog - the Orc general in the 3rd movie.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 6 2014, 12:40 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 23 2014, 09:10 PM
Post #1913

Paladin
Group Icon

My Fair Lady.

I guess I've seen it a dozen times or more over the last half century. It just never gets old. wub.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Nov 30 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #1914

Councilor
Group Icon

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy.

So. Nuch. Awesome.

And hilarity rollinglaugh.gif

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 6 2014, 12:23 AM
Post #1915

Councilor
Group Icon

^Love that movie! biggrin.gif

The family has gone out and I’m going to watch The Hobbit 1 tonight. Woo!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Dec 7 2014, 12:22 AM
Post #1916

Councilor
Group Icon

Hobbit 2, with company this time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 7 2014, 01:20 AM
Post #1917

Ancient
Group Icon

Watching Life After People, the series. It is very heartening to see Mother Nature triumph over humanity.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 7 2014, 10:27 AM
Post #1918

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm working my way through Firefly again biggrin.gif

Gotta love this series wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Dec 11 2014, 03:03 AM
Post #1919

Knower
Group Icon

I'm starting American Horror Story: Coven.

I'm glad each season is a separate story so I didn't have to wait for Freakshow!

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 12 2014, 04:13 PM
Post #1920

Councilor
Group Icon

Just watched Good Will Hunting, hadn't seen it before.

Damn good film.

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 94 95 96 97 98 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:19 PM