Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Accounts of Rayden
redsrock
post Dec 5 2007, 04:55 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This story takes place just nine days after Uriel Septim's assassination, with a unique twist. I am taking the Main Quest and I am remaking it with my own version. What would have happened if both the main-character and Uriel Septim died in the sewers, along with all of the Blades officers? What would have happened if the Amulet of Kings fell into the hand of an "innocent" but hidden bystander?

The Accounts of Rayden

CHAPTER ONE

I wouldn't even have been able to get into the sewers if it wasn't for that foolish Imperial Guard, who, after a few too many bottles of ale, carelessly dropped his heavy set of iron keys lying so temptingly upon the hard wood floor. I was sitting in the tavern, minding my own business. I had planned on settling in for the night, but when I saw that gleaming shine coming from the keys, I knew my night had only just begun.

My name is Rayden, Bosmer and freelance thief of the Imperial City. I am a mere twenty-seven years of age, yet I am capable of many things even veteran thieves cannot accomplish. What, do you think of me as a boastful young brat? I will not argue with you, I am indeed confident of my abilities, but I guess I'll have to prove that to you. Don't worry, you'll learn soon enough.

When I first saw the keys I assumed someone else would pick them up and hand them back to the officer as a sign of good will, possibly a way to kiss up to the Imperials, just like everyone seemed to be so keen of doing. But alas, my inner prayers were answered and nobody but I witnessed the keys fall to the floor. So I left my seat and walked out the door, slyly scooping down to pick the keys up on my way.

At first I wasn't sure what to do with them. There were so many keys hanging from the iron ring, more than fifteen in fact. There were hundreds of places I thought about going to in order to get my hands on whatever I wanted, but one place stood out more than any other: the sewers under the prison. I had heard many a story about how there was a secret passageway to hidden chambers, were rooms were filled with lost and hidden treasures. From my understanding the sewer was not guarded by one soul, meaning it was probably my safest option, as well as my most prosperous.

I left the tavern and headed straight for the sewers entrance, which was just a bit northeast from the city. There, I fumbled through the keys, and thankfully, just as I had originally hoped, one of them opened the large-barred gate that was standing between me and my soon to be treasures.

I stepped inside the damp sewers and walked around for a few minutes, trying to find my way to the secret chambers. The rats were making things difficult, not to mention the goblins. They were extremely difficult to sneak around. After not finding anything of interest for an hour I was beginning to think that the stories must have been false, but then I faintly heard a metal door opening to the west, and the sound seemed as if it was not too far from where I was standing.

I quietly ran to where I heard the sound, and sure enough a door had been opened, and you won't even begin to believe who I saw. The Emperor himself, Uriel Septim, was being led by a Redguard Blade, and some other person who looked to be an inmate of the prison itself. I made that assumption because he was wearing raggedy clothes, and his wrists had irons on them. But the inmate was too far in the back, making it impossible to see what race he was. Obviously the Emperor was an Imperial, everyone knows that. And the Redguard's race was certainly visible thanks to obvious circumstances. As for the inmate, I never did get a look at his face. What happened next went so fast I'm still a bit dazed...

No more than ten seconds after spotting the three, a rustled noise came from their right side. Suddenly men and women wearing scarlet red robes and hoods appeared almost out of nowhere, and for whatever reason a small battle immediately commenced.

It was all so confusing and wild. I didn't know what to do, so I simple hid around a corner, but carefully peeking my head out so that I could see all the action. The Redguard was taking on two opponents at once, and the inmate had already been slain by one of the red-robed.

Uriel Septim had attempted to run away but one of the robed shot a spell his way, hitting him square in the back. A humongous cloud of magic surfaced through the air, and somehow a necklace flew from the Emperor's body, hitting the wall right next my face. I assumed the necklace was a simple, but expensive, piece of jewelry. But, when I picked the item up, I realized it was none other than the Amulet of Kings, THE Amulet of Kings!

I looked back, expecting to see the robed men running towards me, but instead they were running towards the fallen body of the Emperor. The Redguard had taken down his own opponents, and was then rushing over to the Emperor to protect him from the two remaining opponents.

Without hesitating I picked up the necklace and ran away, but before I did that I took one last glance at the battle. The Redguard was on the ground with an axe sticking from the side of his head, and the Emperor was lying unprotected on the hard stoned floor, with both of his frail hands in the air, shielding himself from the two remaining robed men.

"Tell us where the Amulet is!" Yelled one of the robed men. When the Emperor did not respond to their commands they simply stuck a sword through his chest and into his heart, ending the long lived life of Cyrodiil's leader. I watched in horror as Uriel's hands fell to the ground and slammed against the floor. The robed men began searching the area, and that's when I finally left the place.

Now, nine days later, I stand here in an old worn-out cabin, deep in the woods west of Cheydinhal. I sit here with the Amulet of Kings in hand, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. It only took one day for a total transformation of the Empire to take place. After what took place in the sewers, thousands of red-robed figures showed up in the Imperial City, led by an Altmer who called himself "Mankar Camoran". He claimed to be the leader of the cult he called "The Mythic Dawn".

I was in that same tavern where I found the keys when Mankar and his cultists arrived. The death of the Emperor had not yet been spread, since I was the only witness to the deaths, and I surely was too afraid to tell anyone. I was trying to keep myself out of trouble, but then again that would impossible as long as I had the Amulet of Kings still in my possession.

A fight broke out in the city. The guards and citizens banded together to fight the Mythic Dawn, but it was of no use. Apparently Mankar had several men inside the Imperial City who were working for him. That and the fact that the Imperial Legion was greatly outnumbered benefited to the Mythic Dawn's easy victory. Since then Mankar has taken the throne, and his men are looking for the Amulet, which I of course have in hand.

I had left the city before I was rounded up by Mankar's men, and like I told you before, I am now residing in my hidden cabin. It is not hidden by magical powers, but the trees certainly provide help in hiding from the outside world.

I was looking at the amulet closely, examining every last detail of the famed jewel. It was rather heavy for a piece of jewelry, seemingly a little over 1 pound in weight. The gold chain was supposed to wrap around the wearer's neck, and in the middle of the amulet itself was a gigantic, red, ruby-like gem, which was absolutely stunning. Around that gem were eight smaller jewels, all different colors. The amulet was truly a magnificent item, but unfortunately it had some magical powers conjured in it as well.

I say this because when I tried to put the amulet on my own neck, it simply fell off. It never would stay on and I was getting quite furious about the whole situation. That's when I paid a "visit" to the bookstore in the Imperial City, after-hours if you know what I mean. While there I discovered a book about the Amulet of Kings, and in its contents I learned that only a legitimate heir to the Septim bloodline may wear the amulet.

And now, again I say for the third time, here I am sitting in my cabin trying to figure out what to do with my new found treasure. For a while I had thought about giving the jewel to Mankar, for I had foolishly thought he might have given me a hundred heaps of gold for it. But after thinking a bit more clearly, I came to my senses and realized the elf was way too cunning. He would never have given me anything in return; he would have simply tricked me somehow. I do not know the man personally, but I could just tell what kind of man he was by looking at the way he talked.

Ever since the Mythic Dawn's battle was won in the Imperial City, I've been here in my cabin, for fear of my life. I do not want to give the amulet up anymore, I've made that decision. To be honest with you I don't really care about anyone else, but I do not want to see Cyrodiil run by a bunch of cult members and their fanatic leader. Obviously they want the amulet for something, but I'm just not sure what. Right now I'm trying to think of who might be able to help me. Perhaps there is someone who can help me destroy the gem, or perhaps destroying the item isn't what I should do. Back in the bookstore, I read something about that the Amulet of Kings light the Dragonfires, whatever that meant. I don't know what to make of all this, but surely there is someone in this land that can help me; someone who is wiser that I in that sort of business.

At that moment I remembered hearing about an old Breton who lived in a priory south of Chorrol. I knew not his occupation, but only that he had something to do with the Empire. His identity was supposed to have been kept a secret from all, but thankfully for me I was a nosey little thief. I decided that paying this man a visit would definitely help my cause, but of course I really didn't what my cause was at the moment...

This post has been edited by redsrock: Dec 5 2007, 08:23 PM

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DreadFatherSithis
post Oct 27 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #2

Retainer

i no this was posted long ago but i just joined and read through it all and its awesome!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
redsrock   The Accounts of Rayden   Dec 5 2007, 04:55 AM
jack cloudy   I like the premise. It is also interesting to noti...   Dec 5 2007, 10:56 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWO Before I left I made sure I had all...   Dec 6 2007, 04:26 AM
The Metal Mallet   Fun stuff. This twist of just a random thief gett...   Dec 6 2007, 05:31 AM
jack cloudy   I like it, I like it a lot. There is just one thi...   Dec 6 2007, 10:13 PM
redsrock   I like it, I like it a lot. While you've mad...   Dec 7 2007, 04:21 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER THREE As I walked down the stairs and o...   Dec 8 2007, 07:07 PM
The Metal Mallet   Yep you are certainly adding your own little impre...   Dec 8 2007, 09:31 PM
redsrock   I would suggest you read your update through at ...   Dec 8 2007, 10:03 PM
Steve   This is a very nice story. The changes in the plot...   Dec 9 2007, 05:58 AM
jack cloudy   About Kvatch not being taken over, I think it also...   Dec 9 2007, 08:30 PM
redsrock   While there are indeed some typos, and the odd...   Dec 9 2007, 11:41 PM
minque   Interesting! I'll keep an eye on this one....   Dec 11 2007, 12:04 AM
redsrock   Interesting! I'll keep an eye on this one...   Dec 11 2007, 04:13 AM
redsrock   I really, really messed up. At the end of the last...   Dec 12 2007, 05:04 AM
The Metal Mallet   It seems a difference in backgrounds is going to p...   Dec 12 2007, 08:53 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER FIVE I could have sworn I saw a few tea...   Dec 15 2007, 08:55 PM
The Metal Mallet   Things are moving along nicely. Let's hope th...   Dec 15 2007, 10:19 PM
jack cloudy   Oh, an infiltration. I like the sound of that a lo...   Dec 16 2007, 07:11 PM
minque   Nice, nice, niiiiiiiiiiiiice! As I said this i...   Dec 16 2007, 08:54 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER SIX I was about open the gates and ente...   Dec 18 2007, 10:26 PM
mplantinga   An interesting story so far, with more than a shak...   Dec 19 2007, 06:39 PM
jack cloudy   It's nice to see you did something with the ro...   Dec 19 2007, 08:28 PM
The Metal Mallet   This was a cool update, but I just have one teeny ...   Dec 19 2007, 10:43 PM
redsrock   This was a cool update, but I just have one teeny...   Dec 20 2007, 12:45 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER SEVEN “Ay, you gotta nasty bruise there...   Dec 20 2007, 03:52 AM
mplantinga   An amusing interplay between Rayden and the Nord. ...   Dec 20 2007, 04:22 PM
Steve   I enjoyed this chapter very much for some reason. ...   Dec 20 2007, 10:21 PM
redsrock   Thanks you two! I'll be starting on the n...   Dec 21 2007, 04:11 AM
jack cloudy   As has been said, enjoyable. I like Alf a lot. It...   Dec 21 2007, 11:11 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER EIGHT At the top of stairs sat a lone c...   Dec 23 2007, 08:06 PM
jack cloudy   Alf turned out to be a lot better than he appeared...   Dec 23 2007, 09:33 PM
The Metal Mallet   I've definitely been enjoying Alf's charac...   Dec 23 2007, 09:45 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER NINE The torches could be seen behind us...   Dec 26 2007, 04:42 AM
jack cloudy   So Kvatch is going to happen after all? Unless Ray...   Dec 27 2007, 08:10 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER TEN Trying not to look suspicious, I qu...   Dec 28 2007, 05:36 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER ELEVEN The man led us through the gates...   Dec 28 2007, 08:24 PM
The Metal Mallet   Some interesting developments going on with the la...   Dec 28 2007, 10:49 PM
redsrock   Thanks, I'm glad to see you like it. As for t...   Dec 29 2007, 05:15 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWELVE The sun had vanished from the ski...   Dec 30 2007, 06:49 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER THIRTEEN I didn’t answer his question, ...   Jan 2 2008, 05:25 AM
Steve   ALF IS A TRAITOR!? That is so sad... I liked h...   Jan 2 2008, 06:24 AM
redsrock   Nope, towards the beginningof the story it was sta...   Jan 2 2008, 06:52 AM
The Metal Mallet   Wow, a lot of twists and turns going on here. It ...   Jan 2 2008, 07:04 AM
jack cloudy   Alf?! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! ...   Jan 2 2008, 07:42 PM
redsrock   lol, a lot fo readers seemed to like him.   Jan 2 2008, 08:34 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER FOURTEEN It was now daylight, but I did...   Jan 4 2008, 01:04 AM
The Metal Mallet   I'm enjoying the flaws in these characters a l...   Jan 4 2008, 07:39 AM
redsrock   it's okay, i understand   Jan 4 2008, 08:53 PM
Steve   Just thought I'd ask this... Is there any way ...   Jan 4 2008, 09:51 PM
redsrock   It just depends on how the story progresses. I am...   Jan 4 2008, 10:27 PM
jack cloudy   I don't use much preplanning myself. Alf turni...   Jan 4 2008, 10:48 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER FIFTEEN “Janus, I want to ask you a que...   Jan 7 2008, 04:28 PM
jack cloudy   No conflicts, for a change. But still, it was nice...   Jan 7 2008, 09:37 PM
redsrock   Thank Cloudy! I'm glad you approve...   Jan 7 2008, 09:59 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER SIXTEEN The rest of the way to Bruma wa...   Jan 8 2008, 03:26 AM
The Metal Mallet   Looks like the troubling times are causing many ch...   Jan 8 2008, 07:54 AM
jack cloudy   This update was great. Character development all o...   Jan 8 2008, 09:52 PM
Steve   OH! That was great. So sad about the countess ...   Jan 8 2008, 10:57 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER SEVENTEEN When I had left Narina’s room...   Jan 12 2008, 04:57 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER EIGHTEEN Janus and I followed Burd thro...   Jan 12 2008, 08:12 PM
The Metal Mallet   Looks like it now becomes a race against the clock...   Jan 12 2008, 10:35 PM
Steve   That was a good addition indeed! Wasn't Je...   Jan 12 2008, 10:35 PM
jack cloudy   Oh, assassination. Well, that is something Rayden ...   Jan 13 2008, 08:16 PM
redsrock   CHAPTER NINETEEN Martin let go of my hand and p...   Jan 15 2008, 02:04 AM
Steve   It's good to see Lex finally dead! That tr...   Jan 15 2008, 03:40 AM
redsrock   It's good to see Lex finally dead! That t...   Jan 15 2008, 04:23 AM
The Metal Mallet   Looks like problems still await our companions. H...   Jan 15 2008, 07:08 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWENTY The heavy sound of footsteps cou...   Jan 18 2008, 08:46 PM
jack cloudy   Well, that's a new trick. Instead of trying to...   Jan 19 2008, 11:43 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE “Another traitor…I can’t wai...   Jan 19 2008, 08:40 PM
jack cloudy   Now this is rather funny, really. Rayden has been ...   Jan 19 2008, 09:56 PM
The Metal Mallet   Velvus' cowardice should've given Jena rea...   Jan 20 2008, 01:12 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO While watching Adamus in his...   Jan 21 2008, 06:04 AM
The Metal Mallet   Wow, so many twists and turns! So exciting...   Jan 21 2008, 07:01 AM
minque   Wow, so many twists and turns! So exciting...   Jan 22 2008, 12:41 AM
redsrock   CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE Mankar stood with his hand...   Jan 23 2008, 05:04 AM
The Metal Mallet   Wow, what a thrilling climax. The good ole throwi...   Jan 24 2008, 07:21 AM
Steve   ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!! What a beautiful...   Jan 25 2008, 12:06 AM
redsrock   lol, cool. The next chapter will be the last. It...   Jan 25 2008, 04:35 AM
jack cloudy   Rayden comes through. And with the single weapon t...   Jan 25 2008, 07:31 PM
redsrock   Here is the final chapter. It's been a long ri...   Jan 26 2008, 03:44 AM
Steve   APPLAUD!!! is indeed given! This ...   Jan 26 2008, 05:23 PM
redsrock   Thank you, Steve! I had so much fun writing t...   Jan 26 2008, 05:57 PM
jack cloudy   Well, there was the little deus ex machina with th...   Jan 26 2008, 07:46 PM
redsrock   Thank you Jack Cloudy. I'm glad you stuck arou...   Jan 26 2008, 07:49 PM
Steve   It's too bad though that we never get to see f...   Jan 27 2008, 06:51 PM
redsrock   And that machine they had. Uriel something. Ah...   Jan 27 2008, 06:57 PM
The Metal Mallet   Very solid finish to a very solid story. Everythi...   Jan 28 2008, 04:38 AM
redsrock   Thanks, metal. It's good to get it finished. ...   Jan 28 2008, 04:50 AM
cliff-blade104   i just read the hole story and i have to say.........   Nov 16 2008, 02:15 PM
redsrock   Thank you. :D I don't know about the best, bec...   Nov 16 2008, 04:25 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:45 AM