Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memoirs of a Morag Tong Assassin: Vvardenfell, Chapter Six: An Old Friend to Kill...
minque
post Jan 1 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #41

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahhhh lovely, well worth waiting up for! The tension in the conversation between Seth and Voryn mmmmmm just so awesome...but of course there had to be a cliffie! NW I must go to sleep wondering what will happen in the chamber of Akulakhan right? Oh cruelty thou name is Blackie!

One question.....Did Seth really get Rayne out of the way? My picture of that lass is that she´s a master of disobeyance, but maybe she actually did what he said.....this time!

Anyway.....waiting impatiently for the continuation....

Another interesting thing is....how will Seth go on afterwards? I mean just look what happened to Trey! blink.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 2 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

All those questions are answered, Minque. And damn good questions too!

================================================

I stepped in through the door. The gigantic construction of the Numidium looked at me from the distance of the enormous cavern, heat blasts from the lava below rose high into the air, and the smell of sulfur assaulted my nostrils.

Closer to me, Dagoth Ur was a bit more interesting, as he encased himself within a powerful shield. Emotion was gone, replaced by sheer ecstasy of power within proximity of the Heart of Lorkhan.

“Im a God, how do you hope to kill a god?! What a grand and intoxicating innocence! No Recall or Intervention can work in this place! Come, lay down your weapons!! There is still time for my mercy!” He taunted me, his power-lust-ecstasy rising into a frenzy as he threw his energy blasts at me.

I wouldn’t be caught like that a second time, and I jumped clear over the blasts, and landed in front of Voryn, I slashed him twice with Keening, the attacks having little effect, and I jumped off the ledge landing on the bridge leading to the Heart.

With either divine speed, or teleportation, Dagoth Ur appeared in front of me, blocking my path to the Heart. He likely suspected me to tap into its power, and would personally block my path.

“It ends here Nerevar! Surrender the Tools! And I promise that your death will be painless and swift! Else I shall torment you for eternity!”

I was between a rock and a hard place. More accurately between a Demigod and a Lava Pit, it took me a second to realize why Voryn wasn’t attacking. Here on this bridge, things were rather precarious, and if I were to fall into pit, the tools would be destroyed….

..I formulated a plan.

“HEY!! Voryn! You want the tools so bad?” I shouted, holding out Keening over the ledge, my eyes narrowing slightly, and I looked into his insane eyes beneath his Golden Mask.

“..come…get…them…” I said with a Sinister whisper, and I leaped off of the bridge into the Lava below.

“NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!” Came the scream from the Devil, and he followed suit, desperately lunging off the bridge after me, leaving it swinging wildly with his momentum.

For several tenths of a second, my perception slowed, and Voryn used his power to speed his fall, coming closer and closer to me at every beat of my heart. Then, suddenly, he was nearly upon me. I pulled out the scroll, and read the incantation.

“WHAT?!” His voice cried as I disappeared before his eyes.

Everything seemed frozen in place, Dagoth Ur’s Hand reached out for grasping me, but he barely moved. The wind of my fall had ceased. I looked around. I flew upwards, at speeds I had never experienced or felt. This was the power of the Scroll of Windform.

I was utterly invisible, and levitated at speeds five times that of the swiftest Khajiit, appropriately naming the scroll, as it seemed that I was mere thought, pure consciousness floating upwards to the Heart, and in less then one-tenth of a second, I was before it, Sunder in hand.

The Frozen world began to speed up, as the power of the scroll wore off, and I looked at Sunder, then at the Heart. My hand rose in a furious downswing.

But when Dagoth Ur, Lord of House Dagoth, and trusted as a friend by both Nerevar and the Dwemer, brought us proof that High Engineer Kagrenac of the Dwemer had discovered the Heart of Lorkhan, and that he had learned how to tap its powers, and was building a new god, a mockery of Chimer faith and a fearsome weapon, we all urged Nerevar to make war on the Dwarves and to destroy this threat to Chimer beliefs and security. Nerevar was troubled. He went to Dumac and asked if what Dagoth Ur said was true. But Kagrenac took great offense, and asked whom Nerevar thought he was, that he might presume to judge the affairs of the Dwemer.

Nerevar was further troubled, and made pilgrimage to Holamayan, the sacred temple of Azura, and Azura confirmed that all that Dagoth Ur said was indeed true and that the creation of a New God of the Dwemer should be prevented at all costs. When Nerevar came back and told us what the goddess had said, we felt our judgements confirmed, and again counseled him to war, chiding Nerevar for his naïve trust in friendship, and reminding Nerevar of his duty to protect the faith and security of the Chimer against the impiety and dangerous ambitious of the Dwemer.

Then Nerevar went back to Vvardenfell one last time, hoping that negotiations and compromise might once again preserve the peace. But this time the friends Nerevar and Dumac quarreled bitterly, and as a result, the Chimer and Dwemer went to war.

The tone shade rang in Resonance, a ghostly white light filled the Chamber rising and growing to the entire vast cavern.

”What are you doing?! Dagoth Ur sent his thought to me, and I could hear his painful splash into the Lava, far below.

I pulled out Keening next, and brought the crystal blade deep into the Godsheart.

And then, in that moment, all Chimer were changed into Dunmer, and our skins turned ashen and our eyes into fire. Of course, we only knew at that time that this had happened to us, but Azura said, "This is not my act, but your act. You have chosen your fate, and the fate of your people, and all the Dunmer shall share your fate, from now to the end of time. You think yourselves gods, but you are blind, and all is darkness." And Azura left us alone, in darkness, and we were all afraid, but we put on brave faces, and went forth from Red Mountain to build the new world of our dreams.

”WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” His next thought came, as I brought Keening down once more into the Godsheart, he was now grunting from the initial shock of landing in the lava, though I doubt that it did any lasting damage to the likes of him.

But beneath Red Mountain, Dagoth Ur had survived. And even as the light of our bold new world shined ever more brightly, beneath Red Mountain, the darkness gathered, a darkness that was close kin to the bright light that Sotha Sil coaxed from the Heart of Lorkhan with the Tools of Kagrenac. As the darkness grew, we fought it, and crafted walls to confine it, but we never could destroy it, for the source of the darkness was the same source as the source of our own divine inspiration.

FOOL! STOP!! He cried out with his mind trying desperately to fulfill my mind with nightmarish images or take over my body. Neither worked, and I brought Keening down into the final deathstroke.

And in these latter days of Morrowind, reduced to a subjugated province of the Western Empire, as the glory of the Temple fades, and the dark tide rises from Red Mountain, we are reminded of Azura and her promised champion's return. We have waited, blind, and in darkness, mere shadows, drained of our ardent vision, in shame of our folly, in fear of our judgement, and in hope of our deliverance. We do not know if the outlander claiming to fulfill the prophecies of the Nerevarine is our old companion Nerevar reborn, or a pawn of the Emperor, or a catspaw of Azura, or some simple twist of fate.

“This is the bitter, bitter end.” Said the Final form of Voryn Dagoth. As he used the last of his power to teleport up behind me, and we both gazed at the disappearing Heart of Lorkhan in a cloak of blinding white light.

“You could have had everything…you could have joined me in Divine Inspiration. You would have known what it was to have been a God. The concepts of life and death would hold no sway, even your Sister could have been returned to you…Goodbye, Sweet Nerevar, this is the bitter, bitter end.” And the fallen DemiGod lunged for his final attack upon me.

But like a balloon that had been popped, like the Corprus that had been taken from me, Dagoth Ur had spent Millenia used to his power, assured of his invincibility, now he was mortal…less then mortal it seemed, as Voryn fell in less then three swipes of Keening. He fell back upon the bridge, and his golden mask fell off, only to reveal perhaps the most shocking aspect of Dagoth Ur, one that I hardly expected.

Whereas the Heartwrights seemed to have deformed faces of the Divine Disease, Voryn did not. His face was strong and handsome, fatherly almost. He had kept or molded himself into a patron, not a demon. He was misguided, not evil it would seem, as with his dying breath, he repeated Bolvyn Venim’s final words.

“..nerevar..” he whispered and his lips curled into a smile, and I shed another tear.

“Sleep Now, Voryn. And dream the dreams of the Divine. Go with the Ancestors, I pray that Azura forgives you. And I pray that you forgive me. Let it go, let it all go…” I said, fighting the bitter tears of lost friends.

The sentimentality of the moment was broken by a powerful rumbling, and the Numidium, Akulakahn, began to fall apart. The head began to fall into a direct path for the bridge upon which I stood, and my desire to live grew more then my desire to bury Voryn.

With a mad scramble, and a leap that was fueled by adrenaline I cleared the bridge and the lower ledge to the upper, and the terrible roaring of the falling rocks of Akulakhan splashing into the lava sent a terrible screaming echoing throughout the vast cavern.

I spent several minutes staring into the vast lava pool below. Voryn, and most of Akulakhan was in there now. I..had won. It was too much, in spite of all the odds, in the face of certain death. And it wasn’t by getting into a boxing match with a God, nor summoning forth the Hordes of Oblivion. It was by assessing the situation, and using my resources to my advantage. I still had the Writ. Perhaps Mephala had been with me.

My attention then turned down to Wraithguard, holding Keening. The power still washing over me like Skooma. It would be a shame to see these tools used again for the wrong purposes. But, so much could be learned from them! Who was I to say?

“I am Nerevar. And I say that Power exists for it own sake, and corrupts those whom desire it, rather than those whom deserve it. I shall not make the mistake that was made last time. This ends here, once and for all. Rest in peace, Kagrenac.” I said to the empty air, holding out Keening over the Lava, far down below.

It took all of my willpower to let go, but when I finally did, it felt right. And I watched the tuning dagger explode in a furious blast of magicka. I repeated the same thing with Sunder, watching the lava eat the cursed tool. And finally, with Wraithguard, I slipped the heavy gauntlet off my grey Dunmer hand, took a moment to examine its intricacies, and wondered how such small three little things could affect so many people, in the worst way.

I let Wraithguard go, and with that final explosion of white-hot magicka being released sending splashes of the lava high into the air, it finally truly ended. I took a deep breath.

I slipped my gloves on over the Moon-and-Star, adorned myself with the ceremonial red robes of the Morag Tong, and slipped on my hood as I twisted the chamber crank, and exited into the Inner Caverns, I needed to see if Rayne was still there, and still okay.

Suddenly, the Vision of the Cavern of the Incarnate came before me, the Daedra Lady, Azura came to me materializing before my exit into the Inner Facility.

"You no longer bear the burden of prophecy.
You have achieved your destiny.
You are free.
The doomed Dwemer's folly, Lord Dagoth's temptation,
the Tribunal's seduction, the god's heart freed,
the prophecy fulfilled.
All fates sealed and sins redeemed.
If you have pity, mourn the loss, but let the weeping cease.
The Blight is gone, and the sun's golden honey gilds the land.
Hail savior, Hortator, and Nerevarine.
Your people look to you for protection.
Monster and villains great and small still threaten the people of Vvardenfell.
Enemies and evils abound, yet indomitable will might rid Morrowind of all its ills.
For you, our thanks and blessings; our gift and token given.
Come; take this thing from the hand of god.”

Her hands caressed mine, and she left a Signet Ring in them. With a passing kiss upon my cheek, she then faded and returned to her realm. I wanted to ask her so many things, but that was not my place, I would not make the folly of the Tribunal in questioning the Divine.

I exited the chambers, only to see that Rayne was not there. So she had escaped, good.

I emerged into the pit of Red Mountain, the Mount of Dagoth-Ur. I looked to the left, and I saw Rayne staring at the midday sun with a huge smile upon her face.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Look.” She said pointing skyward. “The blight is gone…Dagoth Ur?”

“Is dead.”

“After living in that red sky for so long, that blue sky is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. And there is no doubt that you are the one I have to thank for it. What now Nerevar?”

“Call me Sethyas. Please. I am Nerevar, and I am Sethyas. But I am happy to be Sethyas Velas, Outlander Assassin.”

“Noones gonna see it that way. You’re the Nerevarine. People will start to praise you! And build shrines and stuff! Heck you may even be considered a God-hero in time! Besides, you didn’t answer my question. What now?”

I wrinkled my nose at the thought of being worshipped eventually. That was not me. “The first thing I am going to do, is go home, and make love. And then, I am going to propose marriage to Ilmeni. Then I will give this Sanguine glove to Eno Hlaalu, and claim the Grandmaster position of the Morag Tong. My life is far from over. I no longer have the strength of the Corprus beasts, but I still have the positive aspects of Corprus, I am immortal, immune to blight, disease and age.”

“Sounds like fun…am I invited to the Wedding?”

I smiled. “You’ll have your place. If Ilmeni accepts, I would have you as a Maid of Honor. And in the future, I would have you at my side, as the Exalted Master…should your talents develop.”

“Well then,..lets go home.”

“Yes. Home. Here on Vvardenfel, this is truly my home now. And, I have made a safe place for us now. But, I sense that there are other things that still loom in my horizon. There is still much to be done.”
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 2 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #43

Knower
Group Icon

Ah, very clever of Sethya, that scroll. Bravo!

But I'm sure he'll find much to occupy him in the days to come...

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 2 2007, 03:04 AM
Post #44

Master
Group Icon

To quickly sum it up, all I have to say is wow. But I can't simply use just one word to describe the ending of the main quest. I was quite amazed to find this much material in one day. Crazy!

I'm specifically interested in seeing what Sethyas will do next. Surely he'll go on to Mournhold and Solstiem right? More Sethyas is always a good thing.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 2 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #45

Master
Group Icon

Long live all forms of Levitation! I must say it is a clever thing to destroy the tools. While I doubt that the heart is destroyed, it is hard to reach and while someone might someday rebuilt the tools, that won't be easy.

So, let's see how Nerevar/Sethyas Velas protects Vvardenfell during the Oblivion crisis. smile.gif

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jan 2 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

Well, there was a rumor (note: rumor). "I've heard the Nerevarine has left Morrowind on an expidition to Akavir, and has not been heard from sense."

Now if Bkack Hand doesn't want to go to Akavir that's his decision, I'm just supplying things I've heard........

PS: I wrote that quote by hand, and it should be exactly like the one in the game......

This post has been edited by Lord Revan: Jan 2 2007, 06:41 PM
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 2 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #47

Master
Group Icon

What would the Nerevarine have to do in Akavir? As far as I know, there isn't anything down there that demands the Nerevarine's attention. I mean, if I'm right there hasn't been any communication with Akavir for a long time. It's just not urgent.

Besides, Black's Nerevarine is the public type who wants to get married and settle down. I can see him retire and only don his Dark Brotherhood armour again when Mehrunes Dagon comes knocking.

I don't mean to critiscize your rumour, Revan. I just wanted to say why I believe that Sethyas doesn't want to go anywhere for now.

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Jan 2 2007, 07:08 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jan 2 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

Well, It's not *my* rumor, and I was just supplying it. I wasn't doing anything else. But now let's get back to the story.

This post has been edited by Lord Revan: Jan 2 2007, 07:21 PM
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 3 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #49

Wise Woman
Group Icon

I don´t know how to say this...I´ve cmpletely ran out of words. I mean "amazing" awesome and that stuff isn´t enough here....

No this was really an elegant solution to the Mr Ur-issue....and I just knew Rayne would lurk around there somewhere!

Seth really deserves a nice night with Ilmeni....and all she can give him.....hmmm. I also gather Athyn and his family will be glad to hear about this..

Now the hard things begin, how will he cope with this in the long run? A trauma like this will certainly affect him somehow, the question is.....how!!

I am very curious about his further development.......oh yessir I am...

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 3 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

Rayne and I scaled the Mountain back down to Ghostgate, walking slowly to inhale the fresh air mixing in with the blighted sulfuric winds, and admire the Suns rays. All in all, it was a good day, and damn good day. I felt the burden gone, but slowly being replaced by a new one. What it was, I did not yet know.

As we approached the Towers of Dusk and Dawn, the crowd of gathered Ordinators, Armigers, and Redoran Warriors were standing admiring the now deactivated Ghostfence. They took in the forms of the two assassins that had saved the world ambling slowly to them, and cheers broke out.

“Oh Dear. Is this what I have to look forward too?”

Rayne socked the side of my arm. “Yes! Now smile and get used to it, the Devil is dead, and you did what noone else, not even Vivec, could do. I think thanks are in order!”

“How about riches, fame, wealth, and hordes of scantily clad female admirers?” I joked.

“Eh. I’m sure you’ll get those. I mean, who wouldn’t want to…well, you know what I mean.” She said blushing.

I looked at her, thinking there was something else to her words, and saw something in those eyes of hers that I had not quite seen before, it was deeper then admiration or respect. It was dangerous, and I did nothing to fan any flames. Luckily we were approaching Ghostgate.

“Praise Almsivi! Praise the Nerevarine! The Devil is dead, and the blight is gone! I can not hardly believe it! Bless your breath and blood, Sethyas Velas!” cried out an Ordinator holding his helm in his hands, dropping it to pick me up in an embrace, carrying me around in his sheer joy.

I laughed in his bear hug, as the crowd began singing a more upbeat form of the Cantata’s of Vivec, this time in more a form of singing Victory, and mocking the now leaderless Sixth House.

.. But when shall they wake?
What dark crucible may kindle their souls to light?

How long beneath red-reeking clouds
Must flickering watchfires burn?

How many lifetimes of labor and lament
Will it take to seal this restless tomb?

It took some doing, but I managed to release myself from the throng of the well-wishers, and ran with sheer excitement back to Ald’Ruhn. My best friend, Athyn Sarethi, would be glad to hear the news, as well as my more recent friend Serene, would be happy too, if they had not already. A bit of good in the trials that had faced the family, especially with Domesea’s death would be welcome.

My frantic knocking on the door was met with Athyn’s surprised look.

“Sethyas? Should you not be at Red Mountain fighting the Sixth House?”

“There is no need! The Shadow is lifted! Dagoth Ur walks with the Ancestors! Rejoice, Athyn! The Sixth House has fallen once more!” I crowed.

“Victory is ours! The remnants shall surely fall to the Armies of the Redoran! Saint Nerevar and the Tribunal be praised! Sethyas, You are truly the Nerevarine! Come! Let us feast and drink to this truly joyous event!”

”Nay, my friend! But bring Serene to Bal Isra in the ‘eve. I have something to ask of her first, marriage.”

“Aye! That you must! That you must. Go, go! Quickly! Every moment spent here, is a moment stolen from her!”

And return quickly I did, paying no mind to the Alit and Cliff Racers on my stead, though I would have expected an Ash Storm to rise up at any moment, it seemed that the land itself breathed a sigh of relief from Dagoth Ur’s passing, and gave all the good and plenty it could to celebrate in its own way, and I was blessed to be here.

Hetman Guls did a double take as he saw me coming to the Strongholds front, as he had Aryni Orethi, a former Ald’Ruhn resident standing against the wall, apparently kissing her.

“Milord! I,..uhhh…it’s not what it…that is…”

“Guls. Do what you were doing, I have triumphed! This is time for rejoicement, not apologies for living! Have the men prepare a feast for the evening! Spare no expense! For tonight I shall tolerate no sobriety in these walls! Oh, and I told you an hundred times, stop calling me ‘Milord’, Sethyas, or Sera Velas if you wish to be formal.”

“Yes, Milor—uh, Sera Velas.” He said with embarrassment and excitement.

I walked in slowly through the door, looking around the torch lit walls of Velas Manor, I made my way down to my chambers, and I saw the angelic face of Ilmeni, sleeping in the late afternoon. I carefully lay next to her, and her lovely red eyes opened slowly, and smile spread slowly across her lips.

“Do you dream well, my love?”

“Yes. I dreamed that you had won at Red Mountain; it was a strange dream though. I think that Setsuna was in it…I can’t remember all of it, she was in a grave that was also a womb…”

I blinked. It was strange, as I had had a very similar dream. Had my Sisters spirit seen and watched over me at Red Mountain? I prayed that she had.

“Have I upset you?”

”No. Your dream was a true one. My love, I have not come here for a respite, or giving up. I have come home for good. No more changes in who I am, no more prophecies must be fulfilled, Dagoth Ur is dead, and though I am Nerevar, I am content to leave that part of myself in Red Mountain. I come to you as Sethyas Velas, the Man who loves you, and the man who would have you as his wife, should you so accept…”

Her eyes fluttered in disbelief as I gave her a loving and serious look, and she screamed excitedly, straddling my form, and kissing me over and over.

“You are proposing marriage? Yes! Yes! Yes!....wait…you killed Dagoth Ur too? That’s wonderful! I’m not sure which pleases me more! You have given me the greatest Wedding present anyone could have received!

“That’s good. Cause I wasn’t going to give you anything anyways.” I laughed as she picked up a pillow and hit me with it, a lot. Laughing as she did.

The play soon ended, and we fell into one another’s arms, and for hours we made love, giving as much to the other as we could, until the barriers in ourselves fell, and we were as one. Much later, to the evening, a knocking could be heard at the door.

“Mi—I mean Sera Velas. The feast is ready, if you and your Lady are prepared.” Came Guls’ voice through the door.

“We will be there in a moment. Start without us in the meantime.” I replied.

Ilmeni’s finger traced the Moon-and-Star on my finger still. “I thought you wanted to leave all that behind you.”

“I do. But that doesn’t mean I want to forget what happened. If I am to prevent History from repeating, I must rewrite the scrolls of fate. This ring shall serve me as that reminder. It was hard enough to destroy the tools, but I feel that the Spirit of Nerevar was with me, and was what unclenched my grip.”

”But you are Nerevar.”

“And also Sethyas. I admit, for a sheer moment, before I struck Sunder onto the Heart, that I was tempted to shower myself in its tone. Power is a sirens call, and one that is hard to resist.”

“Why didn’t you?”

”It would make everything I have worked towards meaningless. All who have suffered because of the Tribunal and Dagoth Ur would have that suffering made meaningless. A ‘hero’ is a normal person who has an extraordinary grasp on what sacrifice means.”

“You have lost much…”

“And gained more when I let go. But let us feast, I hunger, and I wish to complement my bliss with drink.” I said getting up to dress. Though I am not a connoisseur of fine clothes, this situation called for it, and I put on the Exquisite Shirt gifted to me from the Ashkhan, Kaushad. In remembrance of what I had done for him.

Ilmeni wore exquisite clothes as well, and the two of us exited into the courtyard, with a large table set up amidst the Ashlands, with fine torchlights and Secunda and Masser in full glow. The scene was perfect.

“HAIL, NEREVAR!” came the toast from the Settlers. Who apparently had heard the news, and surpisingly enough, Athyn and Serene!

“I thank you all! It was done in the name of Nerevar, and for the people of Morrowind and Tamriel! But there is one more reason we have to celebrate this ‘eve! In the light of the new day, with the death of Dagoth Ur, I have asked this Fine Woman, Ilmeni Dren, daughter of Duke Vedam Dren, to be my Wife, and she has accepted! Hail Redoran!” I said picking up a goblet of fine brandy, and clinked my glass to my fiancée’s. More cheers erupted, and the feast began

“Congratulations, My Boy!” Said Athyn leaning in to me, looking over too Serene and Ilmeni, whom whispered to each other with mischievous glances, back at the two of us.

“Thank you, my friend. It is good that you are here, and I would wish that you spend as many of my happier moments with me as is possible. I wonder what might have been should you never have believed my tale all those months ago.”

“Let us not ponder on what may have been. Indeed, there is far too much that might have passed that is nowhere near as pleasant as this moment, I drink to your health!”

“And I to yours.” I said as I clinked my glass to his.

Sethyas? The voice came from nowhere.

I looked up and around, with my brows knitted. My eyes fell to Serenes Blue Eyes.
I opened my mouth to speak, but with another voice that spoke with no lips moving she continued.

Don’t talk, only think. I am a telepath, I’m sorry I never told you. But I wanted to make sure no one else could hear us talk. she sent to me.

My mind reeled with an angry reaction. You’re a bloody mind-reader? How much of my thoughts, have you been reading, you fell witch? Is this how you convinced Athyn to ‘love’ you? Did you control my mind to name you Archmaster? I scathed to her.

It is natural not to trust a telepath, much misconception lies behind it. The reaction is usually this one. I cannot control thoughts, only read them. Please, believe me when I tell you that I would never use it to personal advantage, only for self-defense and the like. I am a healer, not a political chessmaster! she pleaded with me in her sending.

Why reveal it now? Why here? I responded.

I am afraid for you. You seem fine now. But I don’t think that the full affect of what has passed has arisen within you. she said with a feeling of concern blended in with the send.

What do you mean? I am fine! Look around you! I am to be married! I have just killed a Demi-God! There is nothing wrong with me!

Time will tell, time will tell. But if you ever had need of a healer, whom understands the mind as well as the body, I beg you seek me out.

Fine. Just please stay out of my mind! I really don’t want to watch myself from thinking any embarrassing thoughts!

You mean this one? She sent the memory of the first time I beheld her.

Yes! And my Fiancée is sitting right next to you, so I’ll thank you not to say anything! I do actually love her.

I know. I can sense it. I was being playful, but I shall stay out of your mind. I promise. She said looking back to Athyn, and smiling at him.

I put it out of my mind, and enjoyed the rest of the feast, and looked forward to the futures promising horizons.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 3 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

Reading this update put a smile across my face for almost the entire time. Victory is such a happy thing to see. Though what Serene said to Sethyas has me a little worried. Sounds a bit like foreshadowing to me. That means Sethyas' adventures aren't completely done yet.

Hopefully the wedding will happen before anything bad happens. Hopefully.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 3 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #52

Knower
Group Icon

Telepathy... crazy. Rather foreboding. But another excellent entry here.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 3 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #53

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ahhhh......now this was..if not entirely unexpected, a very unusual approach, but oh so truthworthy.....And by Nirn....Serene really turned out to be a "wise woman" huh? Now we will have the pleasure of following Seth for better and for worse....in a dual sense!

I´m so looking forward to read about the wedding! It will be a sheer joy....

I wonder though.....Ilmeni´s relatives.....those Dren-guys, will they really approve of her marrying a Redoran? But surely Seth has covered that possibility..

So let´s rejoice with the party folks and hope they get a looooong wonderful night!

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 3 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

The duke doesn't mind. If I remember right, he already approved before Sethyas had even gotten into the cave of the Incarnate. And Orvas? He doesn't have anything to say now. Dagoth Ur is gone, Sethyas is the hero of Vvardenfell and I doubt that any of his Camonna Tong thugs is willing to challenge someone who killed a god. Killing immortal beings always gives you a fearsome reputation.

Nice update by the way. I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said before.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 3 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #55

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Jan 3 2007, 05:36 PM) *

The duke doesn't mind. If I remember right, he already approved before Sethyas had even gotten into the cave of the Incarnate. And Orvas? He doesn't have anything to say now. Dagoth Ur is gone, Sethyas is the hero of Vvardenfell and I doubt that any of his Camonna Tong thugs is willing to challenge someone who killed a god. Killing immortal beings always gives you a fearsome reputation.

Nice update by the way. I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said before.

Hmmm people change their minds you know! And I wouldn´t trust a Hlaalu-so-called-noble laugh.gif

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 3 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #56

Master
Group Icon

The duke has had plenty of time to change his mind, I don't think he would suddenly do that now. As for our Hlaalu noble? Well, I suppose that the Morag Tong would be honourbound to attempt any writ they might receive. Remember that Rayne was sent to assassinate him despite his rank as exhalted master? Joining Redoran made him a legal target in the House wars.

If I was Orvas, I would go for the Dark Brotherhood. Not as likely to talk as the Morag Tong and with a good reputation of getting the job done. (In game lore. In the fanfics and the actual game, most DB assassins seem like utter amateurs, with the exception of Kayla's gang. I don't have Tribunal but I would be so not surprised if the DB assassins yell at you before attacking. A real assassin doesn't shout and wake up his target!)

Say, is the main site's fanfic section still being updated? I'd say that this story would be a good addition. (so would Mallet's Bloodlust by the way, once he finishes.)

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Jan 3 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #57

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Ok...you may be right, I just pondered about the future cross-marriage between Hlaalu and Redoran....

About the main site...well since Alexander may have short of time there haven´t been so extremly many updates lately..But rest assure I do have both this story and maybe some other in mind for the honor of being published on the main site!

biggrin.gif

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jan 3 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #58

Master
Group Icon

Ya, if I remember correctly, many people were suggesting Taillus' story about Taillus being added to the main site. Hehehehe! My memory is good! biggrin.gif

This one is a strong contender to join the ranks among the main site fics as well in my opinion. I also thank Jack for suggesting mine as well, of course! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jan 10 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #59

Master
Group Icon

At the time of this writing, I was ready to settle down and focus all of my energy into Ilmeni, Bal Isra, and the Morag Tong. However, first thing was first, and I had a marriage to focus upon, and after weeks of discussion, arguing, and making up with Ilmeni, we decided to hold the wedding in Vivec, on the very stairs leading up to Vivecs palace. This done with his blessing. I appreciated the recognition, as did others too apparently, as any Dunmer male with a Black Hand Tattoo claiming lineage from Mephala, claimed to be the Nerevarine, and since the tatoo was neither common, nor rare, it did give me a certain air of anonymity that I could hide myself into. For my whole life, I have lived in Shadows. Secrets and blood have been, and continue to be my trade. In this new Era, things were no different for me.

Life continued much as it had before, the slave trade which was deeply opposed by Ilmeni and myself, continued. Smugglers smuggled in the Bitter Coast, children played with Guars in the Ashlands, and I took a brief vacation from my 'ordinary' life as an Assassin to claim my vows to one and only. Ilmeni. As I had mentioned, Vivec gave his blessing, and since I had 'saved' Morrowind, the Temple had officialy bestowed me as the 'Protector of Morrowind'. The title was largely ceremonial, as I was better known by a different one. "The Nerevarine". He also honored my request to act as the Priest. Now, I know that there is a great deal of bad blood between Vivec and I, but I had just quenched a Three Thousand year old grudge with Voryn Dagoth, this was time to allow healing, and let go of the past, and look forward to the future. This would have been the start of a new beggining for 'Nerevar' and Vivec, and besides, he, by his own instruction, was to no longer be worshipped as a God, but rather as a Saint and Hero of the Temple, in that regard, he was more of a Chief Preist now then a deity. Who better to bless our union? I certainly felt no need to go around telling everyone that the Tribunal's days were numbered, I was content to let the now-mere-mortal to live out the rest of his days as he saw fit.

I am no man to judge crimes on the scale of Vivec's, and having been so close to the source of power, I felt the temptation that he certainly must have given into, and found it doubly hard to hold anything further against him. I made trips once a week to the Palace to speak with him, of things that were, things that are, and things that may be. I found him to be every bit the poet the legends made him out to be, and as he gradually lost his divinity, he seemed to enjoy our conversations more and more. Dare I say, over time we became friends even. Perhaps hard to beleive. Perhaps the Nerevar in me was finally content and asleep as he was most of my life. Or perhaps Nerevar was never betrayed, and the legends and stories are merely that. Legends and Stories. But that is another matter, and I am happy for once in my life, the loss and pain up until now have been great, sacrifice has been demanded of me at all turns, as well as from others. But Victory comes at a cost, and we have all paid it.

Few families from Houses Redoran and Hlaalu supported our union, with a few deeply opposed, with a large majority that did not care, for Hlaalu it did not seem to rub too many the wrong way, as it did not cost them money. For Redoran, they were hesistant to allow a Hlaalu amongst their ranks, but Sarethi, and his love, the Archmaster, Serene Catraso, both spoke for her, and sponsered her. As by tradition, the male's house became the House for both Husband and Wife, though Duke Dren did make a strange offer to allow me to enter Hlaalu as an Honorary member for all that I had done, possibly making me the first Houseman to join two houses. But, I refused, realizing that it was too much of a conflict of interest, and I had made enough history to last me my entire Corprus-lengthened life.

The planning lasted for weeks, much of the decorations and expense being left to the Temple, and Ordinators blocked off access to the High Fane for three days prior, although the event was largely somewhat a public spectacle, with observers crowding the Saint Delyn and Olms Cantons for days prior to the event. And then my big day came. Athyn Sarethi acting as my best man, we both wore tradtional Red Silk Redoran Shirts, standing to the one side of the steps, with a growing contingency of Redoran Blood Guards standing at attention with ebony spears, on the Brides side, stood Duke Dren, in polished ebony armor, looking at me with a measure of pride and nervousness, realizing that he was finally marrying off his daughter. He gazed down at the small gathering of Hlaalu Nobles and Servants and Guards on his side, with Master Aryon, and the Ashlanders Sul- Matuul and Ashkhan Kaushad with his recent bride in the guests seating area, essentially makeshift chairs in the various waterfall steppes that made the base of the palace. Standing just below him was Rayne Alas, looking rather beatiful in her Bridesmaid gown, with Kreshweed flowers in her formal hair. I snickered as I realized that she hardly looked like an Assassin.

A gasp of wonderment overtook the crowd, as the gaze fell to the west. In the waters that seperated Ebonheart from Vivec, a Gondola with torches decorating it, with wreaths and ropes of flowers decorating it, slowly glided across the waters, and kneeling at the stern, in an exquisite yellow and red wedding dress, Ilmeni smiled from ear to ear, standing impressively behind her in a revealing white gown, with her long brown hair flowing down on one side elegantly, the peaceful yet confident gaze of the Archmaster of Redoran, Serene, accompanied Ilmeni as a the Maid of Honor. It was a mixture of Imperial and Dunmeri traditions taking place, but one that was fitting.

The gondola finally reached the Temple gondolier port, and my bride and Serene disembarked and walked slowly up the ramp, and made their way to the Palace of Vivec. Fanfare began to play in traditional Dunmeri music, and Vivec exited his palace, standing directly outside his door, he had not changed his attire, and he had the same calm and objective look he always had. But when his eyes fell upon me, he gave the slightest of smiles.

Ilmeni reached me, and we took each others hand, and both looked upwards to Vivec.

"To those who seek love and the blessings of it, climb the stairs before you. Come to me if your hearts are true, and your intentions clear. Arise from the mundane, and ascend to the Sacred." he called out in a strong voice, the divinity largely faded from it.

And we were exaclty Seven Steps below him, and we recited the Seven Virtues of the Temple with each step, Athyn and Serene one step below us. Vedam Dren and Rayne Alas one step below them, Varvur Sarethi, and Eno Hlaalu the Step below them. Sul-Matuul and Kaushad the step below that.

Vivec levitated ever so slightly above the two of us, and overlooked the crowd.

"It is rare, and a joyous occasion, that two Mer may come together, and lay claim to the others Heart. But this is one of those days, in the light of the Sun, that is no longer blocked by the Shadow of Red Mountain! Hail Savior! Hail Redoran! Hail Dunmer! The Blessings of the Tribunal, I bestow upon the two before me now! May your Childrens Children know of this day as the greatest acheivement in your life! For you have overcome yourselves and the shadows within and without, and come to lay your claims too happiness."

His gaze fell to me.

"And now, in the prescence of House, Kin, and Friend, and the Blessed Temple. Do you swear your love and fealty to Ilmeni Dren, Sethyas Velas? To forswear all others, in blight and in light, in poorness and plenty, til death release you?"

"I do."

"And, do you, in the prescence of House, Kin, and Friend, and the Blessed Temple. Do you swear your love and fealty to Sethyas Velas, Ilmeni Dren? To fowswear all others, in blight and in light, in poorness and plenty, til death release you?"

"I do."

"Then in the Name of Almsivi, I name you, Lord Redoran Sethyas Velas, and Lady Redoran Ilmeni Velas, Husband and Wife. As one for the rest of tides of Eternity, let no one and nothing stand before or in between you. You may kiss your Bride." Vivecs voice lowered in the last sentence to one of pride, the final forgiveness between the two of us finally realized.

And I took Ilmeni in my arms, and kissed her deeply, the final moment between my past and future sealed with our embrace. Serene's face became emotional, shedding a tear, Athyn taking her in his arms, and a cheer erupting througout the crowds, and in the Cantons far off. I was now married.

The festivities and rejoicement continued for hours afterward, falling into the late hours of the evening, and I enjoyed a Brandy with Athyn and Serene in a Table off to a corner of the High Fane.

"Haha! Now you get to experience the fullness and the joy of Marriage, my boy!....run while you can!" Athyn laughed, to which Serene poked him, getting a playful look on her face.

"Don't listen to him! You two will be very happy, isn't that right, dear?!" Serene responded.

"I am sure of it. For I have learned that Destiny is made, as well as forseen. And I intend to make as much of my own destiny from hereon out." I responded. As though fate were returning my comment, a roar grew from the bridges that were guarded by the Ordinators, someone was trying to come in that wasn't invited.

Orvas Dren was accompanied by perhaps two dozen of his Cammona Tong thugs, and with a menacing glare, he made his way straight for our table.

"Don't mind me Velas! I'm just wondering why, the Uncle, wasn't invited to his own Nieces Wedding! Very nice stunt you pulled in the Council Club in Balmora! Do you think I respond well to threats? Did you think I was just going to let everything go, once you won? You seem to keep on defying death wherever you go, lets see how much luck you have left!" He yelled out, motioning for his men to unsheath their weapons.

"I didn't think you were that much of a fool, Dren! Look around you! There are Redoran and Hlaalu Guards here, not to mention Temple Ordinators. And after facing down Dagoth Ur, do you REALLY think that you frighten me? Come, let us finish our business, here and now! Crimelord to Assassin! You have dishonored me, and my bride by showing up here, and this offence I cannot let go!"

"Sethyas, NO! Not here! Not now! This is our Wedding Day, do not shed blood, please, both of you! Uncle! I beg you to lay down your arms, see some reason!" Ilmeni pleaded, holding my arm as I struggled to get up. I had no weapons on me, but I could certainly break a few noses, and cast a few little spells I knew. Athyn DID have a weapon, and unsheathed his steel shortsword, Serene, though a healer, was no stranger too combat, and summoned a bound longsword, as the small army prepared to fight.

"You shut your mouth, you little mother of mine! You are no blood of mine! Not anymore! You sealed your fate the moment you threw your lot in with the likes of him! Your an outlander mongrel as far as I am concerned! Boys! Lets do this!" Orvas whistled and took out his own Ebony Spear, armored in his Orcish Armor.

I took the comment about calling my wife a 'little mother of mine' quite personally, and my anger began to cloud my judgement, and with a leap and speed that Orvas did not expect, I brought my fist into his nose with all the strength I could muster. I would kill him! He and his entire ratpack! They will pay! Or so I thought.

The whistle of a bolt being released from a crossbow met my shoulder, and Serene cast a blistering frost to encase the Tong Archer that shot me, shattering him to peices with a single swipe of her sword. Athyn was more then holding his own against two thugs.

Soon the guards had come to play there own role in keeping the peace, and within minutes they had two prisoners, and twenty dead bodies, I looked around breathing heavily as Serene put her hands over the wound on my shoulder, healing the torn flesh. I realized that two people were missing.

"Where is Dren? Where's Ilmeni?" I shouted getting up from my chair.

I looked around, and grabbed the arm of an Ordinator.

"Sera? Did you capture or kill a Dunmer in Orcish Armor?"

The Ordinator called to his captain, and they both shook their heads after a moment of discussion. Noone matched that description at all. He had likely escaped in the chaos.

I then began running around frantically looking for Ilmeni, tears welling from my eyes as I shouted her name frantically. I looked everywhere except from where I had left her, at our table, and I ran as fast as I could back.

The next image was all I remember seeing before I blacked out, I saw an overturned chair, I saw Serene with a look of horror on her face, kneeling behind the table. She then looked at me with fear in her glance, and she sent her thoughts to me to stay away.

I refused, and she stood up, holding out her hands to keep me away. Her hands were covered in blood. So much blood.

I walked with all my strength against hers, and I saw it. My bride, laying on her back, a bolt sticking from her neck, her mouth in a wide O. Her blood surrounded her head, and her eyes looked at nothing at all, did not move at all.

I think Serene said something to me. I couldn't hear anything anyways, the worlds sounds came through as little more then a buzzing sound. I think I felt a lump rising in my throat, and then felt it enter and exit my mouth, I dont really remember, that was when the blackness swallowed me. I think I felt the floor reach up and hit me in the face. I dont really remember, that was the night my wife died, the same as when I wed her.
+Quote Post
Lord Revan
post Jan 10 2007, 04:44 AM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

Truly a tragedy, but a well orchestrated one at that. Orvas Dren is a slime-ball (that would be putting lightly......) So, shall Sethyas be filled with grief and hunt down his "kin," or will something unexpected happen...... I would have no idea what the latter could be.

Poor Seth, we can all sympathize with his grief. And hopefully he won't do anything he might regret later....... Great story, Blacky! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:44 PM