202 Pages V « < 89 90 91 92 93 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
mirocu
post Jun 19 2014, 03:30 PM
Post #1801

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Someone did mention that recently just how the Jedis are celebrating after they blew up the moon the battlestation, killing thousands of people in the process tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 23 2014, 12:17 AM
Post #1802

Ancient
Group Icon

I saw a few movies lately. Non Stop was alright. But nothing spectacular. The same for Three Days to Kill. Actually that one was less good. It tried too hard to be a comedy, which just did not work for me.

Rush was the best of the trio. I am not a race car nut, but it was still a good story, with an excellent portrayal of the two lead characters. Both of whom are complete a-holes, but in different ways. In spite of that I was drawn into the story. Chris Hemsworth was especially good.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jun 23 2014, 12:28 AM
Post #1803

Councilor
Group Icon

World Cup

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jun 24 2014, 01:24 AM
Post #1804

Ancient
Group Icon

Still watching movies. Yesterday I saw The Next Three Days. It was a really good drama (not action movie) about a man busting his wife out of county jail. It was long, but well worth the watch.

Today I watched the new Robocop. It was ok, but nothing really special either. The guy playing Robo was pretty bland, I don't know why people give him jobs. He's not as grind your teeth I want to punch this guy Hayden Christensen, but he's about as interesting to watch at paint dry. And that was before he turned into a monotone robot. On the bright side it really was filmed in Detroit, at least in part. Except for the Onmicorop building - which seems to be in Hart Plaza - the rest of the city is the real thing. Though it was funny that there were only a few brief glimpses of the Ren Cen. Most of the time that is all you see when Detroit is in a movie. Well that and burned out buildings. Jackie Earle Haley was also good. I would like to see more of him in movies. He would have been great as the bad guy in Elysuim, or District 9.

All in all the original was better. It had attitude, and I loved the little subplot of the young exec locking horns with the vice president over the robocop/ed209 programs. It was also funny, like with the tv commercial with the dinosaur. The funniest part of the new one was when Jackie Earle throws out a "No one would buy that for a dollar." homage.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jun 24 2014, 01:26 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 24 2014, 02:45 AM
Post #1805

Master
Group Icon

Added a couple more to our usual rotation of police shows and similar crime dramas....

Single-Handed- which is a quite good series about an Irish Garda going back to his old home to take over for his retired police sergeant father. It is a dark view of the corruption and other problems of Ireland that began to come to light in the 80's and 90's

Just watched first episode of "Salamander"- which looks to be very interesting. Set in Belgium- it starts with an unusual bank robbery...

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 2 2014, 06:16 PM
Post #1806

Ancient
Group Icon

I have Salamander in my Instant Queue. But with everything else I am watching, it will probably be a while before I get to it.

I am still working my way through Veronica Mars. I am almost at the end of Season Two. It has been great seeing Alyson Hannigan and Charisma Carpenter again!

I also decided to do a Harry Potter marathon. A few days ago I started on the first movie. Yesterday I watched Chamber of Secrets, and today it is Prisoner of Azkaban. I think the first two will always be my favorites. The actors were kids then, and the movies have an innocent charm that the later, more grown-up films lack.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 2 2014, 08:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 5 2014, 01:55 AM
Post #1807

Master
Group Icon

Just finished watching something I found on Netflix Instant - Fluckt ("Escape").

It's a Norwegian film set in the mid-14th century and is quite grim.

But the scenery is straight out of Skyrim, as are the characters! The lead character, Signy, in spite of being a human, could easily be my Dunmer character in her younger days. When I think about it, it explains a lot about Alise!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 5 2014, 03:00 AM
Post #1808

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched that a few days ago too. It was ok, though not the best movie. I loved the scenery as well. Norway has such a wonderfully brooding atmosphere. It is a land of giants and dark gods.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 11 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #1809

Ancient
Group Icon

I finally finished with the last season of Veronica Mars. It was an excellent show, with a smart, brassy protagonist who is easy to cheer for. I especially love the dialogue. The banter between Veronica and Daddy Mars was just outstanding. The plots were nice and twisted. Nothing is ever simple, every case leads Veronica going this way and that to find that to get to the truth. But in the end, our heroine triumphs.

But the third season definitely left me feeling let down. The first two seasons followed the rather standard format cemented by Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Introduce a Meta Story Arc that lasts the entire season, with a Big Bad - or in this case Big Mystery - which we see a little more of with every episode. Then in the finale it all comes to a head.

But the Third Season broke the mold, and instead gave us several smaller arcs spread throughout the season. It didn't feel as interesting. Especially the final episode, which left many unanswered questions, not the least of which who won the election, or what was going to happen with the whole Kendall Casablancas/Fitzpatricks subplot.

I still have the movie left to go. Maybe that will tie up a few things.

I also tried watching Hex a few nights ago. I am in the middle of the 3rd episode, but it really is not grabbing me. I am not sure exactly what it is. So I think I am done with it too. I might try Witches of East End soon, and see how that is.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 11 2014, 09:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Jul 11 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #1810

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm watching Collateral.

Pretty good film.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 12 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #1811

Ancient
Group Icon

The Veronica Mars movie was excellent! And unlike the series finale, it ends on a high note. Veronica is indeed the girl's answer to Magnum P.I.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jul 13 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #1812

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Jul 11 2014, 10:39 PM) *

I'm watching Collateral.

Pretty good film.

I love that movie. Easily my favorite film starring Tom Cruise. He played an excellent Hitman, Vincent. Jamie Foxx also did a great job, too. My favorite scene would be the briefcase one. Every second amendment fan's wet dream.

This post has been edited by Darkness Eternal: Jul 13 2014, 01:03 PM

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 16 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #1813

Ancient
Group Icon

I tried two new shows recently. The Witches of East End sounded promising, but the first two episodes just did not grab me. There is one episode left on the disc, and I think I will give that a go before I decide to give up on it entirely.

The other one is Atlantis. I watched the first episode yesterday, and found it delightful. It reminds me of the old Xena and Hercules shows, only not nearly as campy. I love the look of it, clearly influenced by Ancient Greece, which is a nice change from the faux Medieval look many fantasy shows go with.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 17 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #1814

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. It was good, though it started to drag near the end. Jared Leto was just fantastic as Rayon!

Today I watched The Upside of Anger over lunch. Mainly it was because it is set here in The D, and they used the studio of WRIF, a RL local radio station for some of the scenes. It was cool to see inside the place for once. And they even had Arthur Penhallow, or Arthur P as we know him here. Or knew him. He is a Detroit Radio legend. He finally retired, a few years ago, but only after being on the air for 40 years.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 20 2014, 02:16 AM
Post #1815

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished watching The Losers. It was a very fun movie, that does not take itself too seriously. It stars The Comedian from Watchmen, the New Uhura, the Captian from Prometheus, and Chris Evans (yeah, he's the only one whose name I know). It has the best use of a Journey song in a movie ever. biggrin.gif His little monologue there about being a telekinetic was a nice nod to his character in the movie Push, who was indeed a telekenetic being pursued by a secret govt. organization.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 20 2014, 02:20 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 25 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #1816

Ancient
Group Icon

Netflix finally coughed up the first season of China Beach. I have had a crush on Dana Delany for ages, so I have been looking forward to this for a long time. I was no disappointed. The very first episode had me hooked. It is the Vietnam War seen not through the normal macho eyes of men, but rather from the perspective of the women who served there as well. Dana Delany turns in a magnificent portrayal of a nurse who has seen too much, very slowly unraveling one onion peel after another to reveal her damaged interior. I would happily buy all four seasons on dvd if they were not asking $200 for it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 26 2014, 03:58 AM
Post #1817

Ancient
Group Icon

I decided to dig out a few of my favorite HP Lovecraft inspired shorts: Experiment 17, and Experiment 18. I love the documentary-style of the first one, and how the second one follows right where the first left off. Even though it sounds a lot like the Hammer of the Witches, I still love the name Hexenhammer for the Third Reich's wizards.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 26 2014, 04:04 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 26 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #1818

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 24 2014, 08:25 PM) *

Netflix finally coughed up the first season of China Beach. I have had a crush on Dana Delany for ages, so I have been looking forward to this for a long time. I was no disappointed. The very first episode had me hooked. It is the Vietnam War seen not through the normal macho eyes of men, but rather from the perspective of the women who served there as well. Dana Delany turns in a magnificent portrayal of a nurse who has seen too much, very slowly unraveling one onion peel after another to reveal her damaged interior. I would happily buy all four seasons on dvd if they were not asking $200 for it!

CHINA BEACH!! Oooh, it's on Netflix now?

I'm with you on Dana Delany - I found her a character I could really strongly empathize with. I also admire the actress for her life choices. Way to go, girl! goodjob.gif

Now I've got to run and add that to my Instant List!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 26 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #1819

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(haute ecole rider @ Jul 26 2014, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 24 2014, 08:25 PM) *

CHINA BEACH!! Oooh, it's on Netflix now?

I'm with you on Dana Delany - I found her a character I could really strongly empathize with. I also admire the actress for her life choices. Way to go, girl! goodjob.gif

Now I've got to run and add that to my Instant List!

Unfortunately it is only the first season, which is just 8 episodes, and I think it is only on dvd. But hopefully they will add the other three seasons as well.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 4 2014, 01:42 AM
Post #1820

Councilor
Group Icon

I gave up on True Blood a while ago, but now that theyre in the last season Im watching it again. I was hoping that theyd kill off the annoying characters (which for me is most of them)(no spoilers), and so far it has been a bloodbath. I cant wait to see who dies tonight! biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 89 90 91 92 93 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:09 PM