Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout 4 - no spoilers, Are the rumors true?
Kiln
post Dec 4 2013, 07:08 AM
Post #61

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Dec 3 2013, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mirocu @ Dec 3 2013, 08:08 AM) *

Commonwealth? huh.gif

I just thought the text on that page looked like Russian letters laugh.gif

Also, is it at all perverse that the thing I'm looking forward to the most with this game is Obsidian's sequel?

I hope it is Obsidian does get a sequel. They had some difficulty with Bethsoft's engine but their game was no more broken than Oblivion or FO3, which both had game breaking bugs at launch. I actually preferred FO:NV to FO3 personally. Anyone who has ever fired a gun can appreciate the improved mechanics and ability to upgrade weapons in New Vegas.

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Dec 3 2013, 09:40 PM) *

Also, is it at all perverse that the thing I'm looking forward to the most with this game is Obsidian's sequel?

I would say so. But for me Fallout NV was broken as hell. And then it got worse when they patched it. By the time they were done with it masochists were calling it too painful laugh.gif

But since it's undoubtedly for the newer consoles and PC, my interest is pretty much academic.

I loved New Vegas. I also loved Fallout 3 but for me New Vegas was a step forward in terms of game mechanics. They added a lot to the game like reloading, weapon mods, more detailed crafting, and multiple ammunition types. This mirrors real life much better than FO3's system did.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Callidus Thorn
post Dec 4 2013, 09:23 AM
Post #62

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Dec 4 2013, 06:08 AM) *

I would say so. But for me Fallout NV was broken as hell. And then it got worse when they patched it. By the time they were done with it masochists were calling it too painful laugh.gif

But since it's undoubtedly for the newer consoles and PC, my interest is pretty much academic.

I loved New Vegas. I also loved Fallout 3 but for me New Vegas was a step forward in terms of game mechanics. They added a lot to the game like reloading, weapon mods, more detailed crafting, and multiple ammunition types. This mirrors real life much better than FO3's system did.

Sure, it added some great new features, but some of them were undermined by bias in the game's design. Energy weapons, for instance, were fundamentally inferior to small guns, even after they tweaked the ammunition.

They released the game with game breaking bugs. I'm not even sure they got rid of them all before they decided to stop patching it. But with every patch the game became less stable, at least that's what happened on my 360. By the time they were done "fixing" it, I had maybe a 50% chance of getting past character creation before it froze.

--------------------
A mind without purpose will walk in dark places
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 4 2013, 09:29 PM
Post #63

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Callidus Thorn @ Dec 4 2013, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Dec 4 2013, 06:08 AM) *

Sure, it added some great new features, but some of them were undermined by bias in the game's design. Energy weapons, for instance, were fundamentally inferior to small guns, even after they tweaked the ammunition.

They released the game with game breaking bugs. I'm not even sure they got rid of them all before they decided to stop patching it. But with every patch the game became less stable, at least that's what happened on my 360. By the time they were done "fixing" it, I had maybe a 50% chance of getting past character creation before it froze.

Strange. I'm on the 360 also. It plays great for me now that it's all been patched. I wonder why the difference between two users on the same system? wacko.gif

FO3 and Oblivion also shipped with bugs that broke the main quest and caused constant freezing. Bethsoft didn't bother to completely fix all their bugs either. Skyrim was a step forward in terms of stability so hopefully this is what we will be able to look forward to when it comes to next gen FO and TES games.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 4 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #64

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Dec 3 2013, 03:16 PM) *

I wouldn't expect one. They are working on their own project right now. Plus after reading some interviews, it doesn't sound like they made much money off of FONV.

This post has been edited by King Coin: Dec 4 2013, 10:00 PM

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 4 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #65

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Dec 4 2013, 08:59 PM) *

I wouldn't expect one. They are working on their own project right now. Plus after reading some interviews, it doesn't sound like they made much money off of FONV.

Aw, I really liked New Vegas; one of the best-written games of this (the last? Christ) generation, and a really well-made setting, too sad.gif
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 5 2013, 01:25 AM
Post #66

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(King Coin @ Dec 4 2013, 08:59 PM) *

That is unfortunate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 5 2013, 03:05 AM
Post #67

Ancient
Group Icon

Apparently FONV sold nearly 3.5 million copies. Less than half of Skyrim, just a little less than Oblivion and FO3, but more than any of the individual Mass Effect games. Of course these numbers are suspect, as I doubt they include online purchases for PC copies, such as through Steam (who do not publicly release their sales figures).

They did blow a bonus because of one point on Metacritic. They had to fire 30 people afterward, and cancel a new project they were working on, so obviously they were counting on that bonus.

It also says later in that article that Obsidian did not get paid on a per sale basis (Bethedsa published the game, so they made all the money from sales, and then in turn paid Obsidian some unknown amount). They just got a straight, one time payment for their work. My guess is Obsidian negotiated a bad deal, or Bethesda simply screwed them out of their money. Hmmm, my understanding is that Bethesda did the Q&A for FONV, not Obisdian. Perhaps Bethesda deliberately ignored bugs in the game so it shipped in such a sorry state as it did, in order to keep the Metacricitc score down?

There is no way of knowing how much Obsidian expected to make off of it either, or promised their shareholders/financiers that they would make. Maybe they expected to make a lot more, or even spent more creating it than they got paid by Bethesda?

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Dec 5 2013, 04:28 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 5 2013, 05:21 AM
Post #68

Councilor
Group Icon

Yeah, I saw that article a while ago...Kinda sad the way Bethesda held back the money...Dunno if they'd have released it deliberately to screw Obsidian over, they still have their reputation to keep up...Actually, they screwed themselves big-time with that and Skyrim didn't they?...

Um...

Oh yeah, but releasing a game where the online community thing has identified and fixed 27,000 bugs (according to Wikipedia)...that's not good for anyone...

Personally, I prefer FO3 anyways...The exploration is far more fun, and less soul grindingly dangerous..."Hey, shall I go this way?...Oh no, I'm dead by flies...Oh, how about this way?...Oh no, dead by Ghoul...How about..."...

Yawn...

But, each to their own of course...

However...Being part of that Next-Gen thing now... wink.gif ...I'm looking forward to what they throw at the machines...The difference between the PS3 and PS4 in terms of graphics is ridiculous...

I'm still playing through the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed 4, and it's stunningly gorgeous on that machine...Properly gorgeous...But I've tested the PS4 version and it's just so far beyond beautiful...Oh my...

I'm rather looking forward to what they do with Fallout and ES now...

Still not doing the online thing though... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 7 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #69

Master
Group Icon

GONORRHOEA-RIDDEN ARSE MONKEYS!!!!!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Dec 7 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #70

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Dec 7 2013, 05:10 AM) *

Concurred.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 7 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #71

Forum Bard
Group Icon

This is why I was watching the whole thing with an eye of skepticism. I was hoping it'd be eventually proven true however.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 7 2013, 10:37 PM
Post #72

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Colonel Mustard @ Dec 7 2013, 11:10 AM) *

*Sigh*...Bollocks...

Hey-ho...Back to FO3 for a while then...
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Dec 12 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #73

Master
Group Icon

"Hey Pete,see this hoax?"

"Yeah maybe we should tell the fans."

"Nah,let's tell them when the countdown ends tongue.gif"

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Dec 12 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #74

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Dec 12 2013, 11:05 AM) *

I was thinking that too. I wonder if the hoax was created by Bethesda itself.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Dec 12 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #75

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Dec 12 2013, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Dec 12 2013, 11:05 AM) *

I was thinking that too. I wonder if the hoax was created by Bethesda itself.

It was some lone random arsehole going by the name 'DChoaxer' with too much time on his hands. Did it just to 'make people freak out'.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...e-You-Freak-Out

Bethesda didn't step in due to marketing logic; the hoax site generates hype and gets Fallout 4 to the forefronts of the minds of the gaming community and of potential customers, but when it turns out to be there's nothing the company is able to completely wash their hands of it. They could oust it as a fake, and there's an argument to say that they should have done, but going by typically cynical corporation logic then of course they wouldn't.

This post has been edited by Colonel Mustard: Dec 12 2013, 05:27 PM
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Dec 20 2013, 11:37 PM
Post #76

Master
Group Icon

DON'T CARE STILL GETTING FALLOUT 4!
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Dec 24 2013, 09:32 PM
Post #77

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Dec 20 2013, 10:37 PM) *

DON'T CARE STILL GETTING FALLOUT 4!

+1. When it comes out I'll probably be among the first to grab it in my time zone.

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Dec 25 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #78

Councilor
Group Icon

I have to admit, if they do one for it, I'll be in the queue for the midnight opening...Like I was with Skyrim...

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 27 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #79

Spam Meister
Group Icon

So, I guess I´m at least in the minority who won´t get it..? wink.gif

You other guys; will you be camping by your puters to start your download at 12:01AM? laugh.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 27 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #80

Ancient
Group Icon

I am in no hurry. I have plenty of other games to play right now. I'll let them release it and spend a few months patching it. Maybe in March or April of next year I will buy it. Or maybe I'll wait until they release it on Gog.com. That should be about 20 years or so... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Oct 27 2015, 04:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

25 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:09 PM