Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Podcast or Radio Drama Are You Listening To?
SubRosa
post Jul 1 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

I decided to make a separate topic for podcasts, since don't really fit into the music thread, or the now watching thread. I'll copy over some of the more recent podcast posts I have made to get things rolling.

It's not exactly reading, but it is not music either so I did not put this in the Listening To topic. I have discovered a number of interesting podcasts lately. My starting point was HPPodcraft, which I am almost caught up with.

For those not familiar with HP Podcraft, they are Chad Fifer and Chris Lackey, two OG Lovecraftian gamers, who grew up reading HP Lovecraft and playing the Call of Cthulhu role playing game. Both were part of the making of the Call of Cthulhu movie done by the HP Lovecraft Literary Society. Chris Lackey was part of The Whisperer In Darkness film as well. Both have done other films, and worked on a ton of stuff in Hollywood. They started HP Podcraft a decade ago, reviewing all of HPLs prose fiction in the order it was written. They walk through the events of each story, have dramatic readings of relevant passages by guests (such as Andrew Leman from HLPHS, and lately even Patton Oswalt), give a critical analysis of the story, and how it fits into the Mythos over all, and tell some bad jokes. I like it very much, as the pair's charisma can make for a fun episode even when the story itself is a big dud.

They went through HPL's work a long time ago, and since then have been doing the work of other Weird Fiction writers. Mostly it is others that have either been influenced by HPL, such as Robert Bloch, Clark Ashton Smith, Michael Shea, Robert E Howard, TED Klein, and so on. Or people who influenced HPL, such as Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Robert Chambers, Ambrose Bierce, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, and Lord Dunsany. They also take some detours into pure science fiction, like HG Wells, and Ray Bardbury, and Isaac Asimov.

I have come across a lot of stories by these authors that are duds, but the shows are still fun, because Chad and Chris make it fun. I have also come across some real brilliant stories that I otherwise would not have read, like The Screwfly Solution, or The Wendigo. If you like weird/horror/supernatural fiction, and you like laughing, I highly recommend this podcast.

HP Podcraft mentioned Monster Talk, which I checked out. It seems pretty good. I have listened to a handful of their episodes now. They focus on monsters in pop-culture and folklore (which I suppose is really just yesteryear's pop-culture). They have a skeptic's point of view, so it is mostly them explaining the reality behind these myths and ideas. They also go into how they got created and why. It's basically a science-based discussion about things like dragons, megalodons, faeries, etc... They had an episode about Lovecraft and King Tut that got my interest.

That led me to The Archaeological Fantasies Podcast. They have some crossover episodes with Monstertalk, as they sometimes are covering the same things. They only have a handful of episodes. I have only listened to the Viking Warrior Women one, which was good. It was mostly in response to a new tv show that Megan Fox hosts (I saw a little bit of it a while back, and was not impressed). The podcast was well done though, and I enjoyed the guest - Chelsi Slotten.

This led me to the Women In Archaeology Podcast, which I also found had some interesting podcasts. Chelsi Slotten hosts most of these as well. A deeper dive is turning up some pretty dry stuff however. It is a bit drier than the more pseudo-science focused podcasts like Archy Fantasies or Monster Talk. They only talk about reality. But it is still fascinating and informative.

That led me to PodCapers, which is a podcast about comics and super movies and superhero geekdom. Chelsi also guest stars in an episode here about the representation of women in comics. Which is what brought me to the podcast. The only downside I have found with PodCapers is that there are no options for a direct mp3 download. I had to find Tube Ninja which will take a url and convert it to an mp3.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 1 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished an Archy Fantasies episode called Archaeogaming with Andrew Reinhard. It might be of particular interest to folks here because Archaeogaming is a new sphere of Archaeology devoted to both the archaeology of video games, but also to how archaeology is portrayed within video games.

It started with the infamous Atari ET graveyard dig from a few years ago, which the guest Reinhard was a part of. From there he talks about an indepth archaeological study he and others did within the game No Man's Sky. It is all really fascinating stuff, about how people live in virtual spaces now as much as we do in physical spaces, and so on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jul 1 2019, 09:36 PM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Spa/New Age Music channel on my cable. When I'm tired of listening to politics and crap on TV I just switch it over to there for mind easing bliss happy.gif.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 1 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

Khajiit was first turned on to Podcasts by a girl who worked at the local coffee shop/bookstore. The first one she mentioned was a cast called S-town (S*it Town). That one was only like 5 or 6 episodes. She also recommended The Last Podcast on the Left which is 3 dudes sitting around talking about horror movies, serial killers, and other stuff in the realm of horror. From there Khajiit discovered Lore, anc Subbie recommended the HP Podcraft. This one’s gf told him about Welcome to Nightvale which is like a faux newsshow about weird happenings in a fictional town called Nightvale.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jul 2 2019, 01:36 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

Not recent, but I listened to a number of WWII era "Sherlock Holmes" radio episodes I found somewhere or other in podcast format. Quite fun, especially because they kept the original advertising (a wine company) in and also the actor who played Watson seeing encouraging things to the Allied troops.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 2 2019, 01:55 AM
Post #6

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 1 2019, 05:33 PM) *

Khajiit was first turned on to Podcasts by a girl who worked at the local coffee shop/bookstore. The first one she mentioned was a cast called S-town (S*it Town). That one was only like 5 or 6 episodes. She also recommended The Last Podcast on the Left which is 3 dudes sitting around talking about horror movies, serial killers, and other stuff in the realm of horror. From there Khajiit discovered Lore, anc Subbie recommended the HP Podcraft. This one’s gf told him about Welcome to Nightvale which is like a faux newsshow about weird happenings in a fictional town called Nightvale.

I am going to try some of those out. Thanks!

QUOTE(treydog @ Jul 1 2019, 08:36 PM) *

Not recent, but I listened to a number of WWII era "Sherlock Holmes" radio episodes I found somewhere or other in podcast format. Quite fun, especially because they kept the original advertising (a wine company) in and also the actor who played Watson seeing encouraging things to the Allied troops.

One thing I love about the Dark Adventure Radio Theater productions by The HP Lovecraft Historical Society are the commercials. They always put a fictional commercial in before and after the show. Things like Bub-L-Pep soda (The L is for Lithium, yum, yum!), or Forhan's Toothpaste (with Radiol, to give your teeth that healthy glow!).

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jul 2 2019, 02:10 AM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 1 2019, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Jul 1 2019, 05:33 PM) *

I am going to try some of those out. Thanks!

A word of warning about Last Podcast on the Left. One of the guys on there is a bit obnoxious. Supposedly he’s a comedian but his “humor” seems to mostly consist of making fun of different ethnic groups. Chinese and Irish comes immediately to mind as he does stereotypical “voices” of these groups a lot. Being of Irish descent, it didn’t really bother Khajiit that much but it’s something to definitely be aware of.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 2 2019, 03:41 PM
Post #8

Spam Meister
Group Icon

The Adventures of Herbert "Daring" Dashwood of course! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 3 2019, 12:56 AM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

HPLHS now has their Dark Adventure Radio Theater episode of The Lurking Fear out. I bought it and listened to it yesterday. Like all the Dark Adventures, it is good. It added a pair of cops that were not in the original story by Lovecraft, which was an improvement. They create a wrap-around story that holds the main story together. I have come to find that was a very common device in Lovecraft's time, and in the 1800s in general. In this case it really works.

I never thought I would like radio dramas. I took a chance on one of the HPLHS Dark Adventures a while back, and was pleasantly surprised at how much fun they are. I typically listen to them during what would otherwise be 'dead time'. When I am driving, or shopping, sitting the tub, or doing some mindless, repetitive task at work. They really help pass the time.

I listen to audiobooks during those times too, including the audiobooks of Lovecraft's work that HPLHS put out. When I compare the audiobooks to the Dark Adventure Radio shows of the same stories, the radio shows are better. They add in things like music and sound effects, and also have multiple voice actors, which makes scenes with multiple characters talking sound much better than a single narrator in an audiobook.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Jul 4 2019, 12:15 AM
Post #10

Mouth
Group Icon

I have yet to find a podcast to really capture my interest to the point I regularly listen to it. Even if they talk about things that really interest me, I just can't get invested in a particular one for some reason.

But something I do like is trying to find if someone I like is a guest on a podcast. Sometimes it'll cross my mind to look somebody up and I'll search "[name of person] podcast" on YouTube. Just today I decided to look for Bill Hader and see what came up.

I would like to find a podcast I can stick to regularly at some point. I've wanted to do one myself but I don't have the time to set one up and do it regularly.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 8 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #11

Ancient
Group Icon

At Khajiit's recommendation, I have been listening to Lore. It is pretty good. The host tends to sound kind of droning after a while though. I think because he is the sole host. I tend to prefer podcasts with at least two people talking, as it comes across more as a conversation, rather than someone spitting information at you.

I am also enjoying Myths and Legends. It also has only the single host. It tackles - myths and legends. I just listened to a two parter on Romulus and Remus that was really good.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 13 2019, 12:18 AM
Post #12

Ancient
Group Icon

This morning I finished to a two part episode on Monster Talk about Grimoires. Part 1 and Part 2. They dive into the classic dark magic grimoires, from the middle ages to today. It also had as an aside an actual realistic description of Wicca/Neo-Paganism (as a new tradition that is rooted in ancient traditions, and has been forced to recreate itself because those old traditions were never formally written down into books).

For example, we do not know what Druids really did 2,000 years ago, because Caesar and later the Christians killed them all. So modern Druids have to build their practices anew, based on what they can gather from the past. It is not the same as 'original' Druidism. But that does not make it any less valid, nor sever it from those ancient traditions.

Anyway, as someone who has always thought that the Necronomicon and the Book of Skelos was cool, it was a really fun show about real magic books, like the Grand Grimoire. They only really scratched the surface, because there are just so darn many of them. But it was a fun look at the phenomena.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Aug 10 2019, 05:52 AM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

I've started listening to Bill Burr's Thursday Afternoon Monday Morning podcast recently. For those who don't know, he is a comedian. He just rambles on about all sorts of things on his podcast. Looks like it is going to be the first podcast that regularly catches my interest.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 12 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

I watch a good many podcast-like videos at YouTube. Most are political in nature, so I'll reframe from details. There is one podcast I'll mention. Audio only. It too is heard via YouTube. Actually, my brother seeks it out during his (sometimes) weekly visits. I listen along with him.

He's something of a 'pro' wrestling buff. Not current product, but 'old stye' pro wrestling. Not super old, but territories were still the norm, along with kayfabe. No buff by any means, I can enjoy wrestling of that period too. Anyway, what he (and I) listen to is Jim Cornette's official podcast. Mr Cornette is quite the talker. He and I agree on a good many things, wrestling and otherwise.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Oct 7 2019, 09:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 20 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

The HP Lovecraft Historical Society is celebrating HPLs birthday by giving away their Dark Adventure Radio Theater episode of Herbert West - Reanimator for free. Yes, free. Go download it now, and try it out. I never expected to like radio dramas like it, but it turns out I love them. You might too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 20 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 20 2019, 02:56 PM) *

The HP Lovecraft Historical Society is celebrating HPLs birthday by giving away their Dark Adventure Radio Theater episode of Herbert West - Reanimator for free. Yes, free. Go download it now, and try it out. I never expected to like radio dramas like it, but it turns out I love them. You might too.

Khajiit got an email about this earlier! Just downloaded it! Happy b-day to HPL!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 13 2019, 11:15 PM
Post #17

Ancient
Group Icon

I recently listened to the Monstertalk episode Speak Of The Devil. It features the guest Robert Price, whom you may remember from such podcasts such as The HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast. Among other things he is a Bible scholar, which makes him very qualified for this episode. As the name suggests it is about Lucifer/Satan. It is very eye-opening, even to a non-Christian like myself, as a lot of what people take for granted about the Lucifer/Satan myths are actually not in the Bible, but came later. The same with Hell.

He also appears in another Monstertalk episode that I just started listening to: MonsterTalk Meets The Lovecraft Geek

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 7 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

Today I listened to the first episode of In reSearch Of. It is a new podcast made by Blake Shelton Lively Seven... (The guy from MonsterTalk), and Jeb Card from Archy Fantasies. They are covering the old show In Search Of, doing a deep dive on each episode of the show, in order. Their goal here is to not only offer a critique, but to tell us the things the show left out.

In Search Of is actually on YouTube now. So far as I can tell, all the episodes are up there. I watched some a few months ago.

They start with the tv special In Search Of Ancient Astronauts. It is basically a cut down version of an older German documentary about Von Danniken's book Chariots of the Gods. The American version lost about a half hour, and replaced the original narration with a new one by Rod Serling. It is basically video of all sorts of massive stone monuments, lines in the ground, and inscriptions, while Rod Serling says "Could this be aliens?"

It really is not quite as bad as it sounds. But they do omit many things. Such as the Nazca lines can be seen from the ground. In fact, the video they shot of them was taken from the ground. They were all drawn out near hills and mountains where they could be easily observed from. In fact, they were originally discovered by a man... on the ground. This is the kind of thing the podcast points out.

As much as I might be bashing it, I did love the tv show. I am old enough to have watched it during its original run when I was a child. Every week I sat enraptured in front of the tv, amazed and thrilled and awed by the monsters and mysteries that the show purported. So there is a lot of nostalgia involved for me.

There were a couple more tv specials like this with Rod Serling narrating. They were successful enough for the network to create the show In Search Of. But sadly Rod Serling died. So they replaced him with Leonard Nimoy. I believe the next episode of the podcast will be on the first episode of the series proper.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Oct 7 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

I’ve been really getting into the podcast Lore. I love the fact that everything being discussed comes from eyewitness accounts with accompanying dates and places. Even if most of what is talked about is not real, I find the stories to be moving.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Oct 8 2019, 12:37 AM
Post #20

Ancient
Group Icon

I still listen to Lore, though the narrator's voice is very wooden. You do get used to it after a while.

I like the stories too. Though eyewitness accounts are the most unreliable form of evidence in existence. Not because people lie. But because our perceptions are not truly accurate. Our brains fill in a lot of blanks without us consciously realizing it. Then as time goes on memory gets fuzzier and fuzzier, and once again our imaginations fill in the blanks. None of this is hindered by reality of course.

But since the show does not purport to be factual, or try to push an agenda, I do not mind. It is presented as entertaining stories, and as folklore they deliver. Whether or not there really was a Goatman, or if the Fox sisters really were psychic, does not matter. They are good stories.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:40 PM