202 Pages V « < 195 196 197 198 199 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
SubRosa
post Aug 14 2020, 06:05 AM
Post #3921

Ancient
Group Icon

I finished season 2 of The Outpost today. It was good. I think I liked season 1 better, as it concentrated more on Talon personally. While this season saw more characters added (as one does in a sequel), and so had more fragmented storylines. I was not thrilled that they used Queen Rosimund as a damsel in distress not once, but twice. But that aside, I did like her development over the season as she grew into her role as the queen. The high point of that was also the high point of the season for me. She really shone by the end.

So, good show, well worth the watch.

Lovecraft Country drops next week. So I am looking forward to that.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 14 2020, 04:45 PM
Post #3922

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 14 2020, 12:05 AM) *

You’ll definitely have to let us know how that is. I’m really afraid it’s going to focus a lot on race, rather than the mythos.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 14 2020, 08:43 PM
Post #3923

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 14 2020, 11:45 AM) *

You’ll definitely have to let us know how that is. I’m really afraid it’s going to focus a lot on race, rather than the mythos.

I expect it will. The book did. Good old American racism is far more evil than the Mythos ever could be. Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth are part of a cosmos so vast that it is indifferent to not only human suffering, but human existence. The same cannot be said for bigotry.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 14 2020, 10:49 PM
Post #3924

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 14 2020, 02:43 PM) *

I expect it will. The book did. Good old American racism is far more evil than the Mythos ever could be. Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth are part of a cosmos so vast that it is indifferent to not only human suffering, but human existence. The same cannot be said for bigotry.

Oh ok, I didn’t know it was based on a book besides Lovecraft’s stuff. Do tell us what you think about it, I’m curious to hear about it!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 14 2020, 11:36 PM
Post #3925

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 14 2020, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 14 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Oh ok, I didn’t know it was based on a book besides Lovecraft’s stuff. Do tell us what you think about it, I’m curious to hear about it!

I mentioned it last summer in the book thread. Here or so

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #3926

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished the first episode of Lovecraft Country. It follows the book pretty closely. The only real deviation was the scene at the end with the Mythos creatures in the woods. In the book they never saw anything. They heard something big in the woods, which took the deputies one by one, without ever being seen. The TV show expanded on it, and gave us a good look at the critters, along with buckets of blood. They weren't any part of the established Mythos, at least not that I recognized. That was good. Because it is more mysterious that way.

It was good. I look forward to more.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 17 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #3927

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 17 2020, 01:25 AM) *

I just finished the first episode of Lovecraft Country. It follows the book pretty closely. The only real deviation was the scene at the end with the Mythos creatures in the woods. In the book they never saw anything. They heard something big in the woods, which took the deputies one by one, without ever being seen. The TV show expanded on it, and gave us a good look at the critters, along with buckets of blood. They weren't any part of the established Mythos, at least not that I recognized. That was good. Because it is more mysterious that way.

It was good. I look forward to more.

Good info. What service is this on again?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #3928

Ancient
Group Icon

It is on HBO. Hopefully they won't screw up the ending like they did with game of thrones.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 17 2020, 10:09 PM
Post #3929

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 17 2020, 03:54 PM) *

It is on HBO. Hopefully they won't screw up the ending like they did with game of thrones.

Oh no, I don’t have HBO sad.gif
May have to subscribe to it again on Amazon Prime.

And yes, hopefully they won’t mess up the ending, lol

*Edit: addendum*
Also, it helps that this show actually has source material to guide it’s ending. dry.gif

This post has been edited by TheCheshireKhajiit: Aug 17 2020, 10:37 PM

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 17 2020, 11:09 PM
Post #3930

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Aug 17 2020, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 17 2020, 03:54 PM) *

Oh no, I don’t have HBO sad.gif
May have to subscribe to it again on Amazon Prime.

And yes, hopefully they won’t mess up the ending, lol

*Edit: addendum*
Also, it helps that this show actually has source material to guide it’s ending. dry.gif

That's true. It was written by an author willing to end a book.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 23 2020, 04:58 AM
Post #3931

Ancient
Group Icon

Finished season 3 of Netflix’s Castlevania series today. Man I love this show, though I will say there was a scene in the final episode that seemed to come out of left field and had me scratching my head a bit, but all in all very enjoyable.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 25 2020, 05:05 AM
Post #3932

Ancient
Group Icon

Saw the second episode of Lovecraft Country. The pale blonde who briefly appeared in the first episode is back, and gets much more air time. She is Christina Braithwhite, and she replaces Caleb Braithwhite from the book. She is not the only gender swap from the novel. George and Hippolyta's child Horace in the book is now Diana in the show. Both sound like improvements.

Especially for Christina. She now has much better motivations for her actions to subvert her father. Namely that as a woman, she is cut out from the 'family business' of being a member of the cult. The only way she can truly realize any of her own ambitions, is over the corpses of her father and his cronies.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 29 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #3933

Ancient
Group Icon

RIP Chadwick Boseman. sad.gif Wakanda Forever.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Aug 29 2020, 12:02 PM
Post #3934

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 29 2020, 02:40 AM) *

RIP Chadwick Boseman. sad.gif Wakanda Forever.

Damn. IMDb says it was cancer. So young. So sad.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 09:40 AM
Post #3935

Ancient
Group Icon

I watched the first two episodes of The Legend of Korra tonight. I think I am enjoying it? I liked the characters. But the setting really confuses me, with the blend of magic and a 1920s Art Deco industrial city.

I really enjoyed Korra's first, aborted Air lesson, where she has to walk through the spinning gates without touching them. Watching it demonstrated made me realize that January would love this. It is perfect for her.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2020, 10:05 PM
Post #3936

Ancient
Group Icon

And now RIP Diana Rigg. I remember her from the Avengers. No, the original Avengers, from the 60s.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 10 2020, 11:01 PM
Post #3937

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2020, 05:05 PM) *

And now RIP Diana Rigg. I remember her from the Avengers. No, the original Avengers, from the 60s.

I know her from the endearing character she played in Game of Thrones. She was amazing in the role. verysad.gif Her talent will def be missed.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 11 2020, 12:12 AM
Post #3938

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2020, 04:05 PM) *

I had quite the 'crush' on her back then. Here's a short video showing some of her roles through the years:

(video) Dame Diana Rigg, star of the Avengers and Bond movies, dies at age 82. (video)

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 11 2020, 06:47 AM
Post #3939

Master
Group Icon

The Barefoot Lego Song .

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 20 2020, 06:41 AM
Post #3940

Ancient
Group Icon

I finally finished watching Star Trek: The Next Generation. All seven seasons are done, and the movie Generations. I don't think I will do the last three movies. The Borg one was good, but I have seen it many times already. The other two were not so good, especially the last one where they killed *spoiler* for no good reason.

It was a fun ride. This time out I found Data to be my favorite character. I think mainly because he is so unassuming. But also because he his lack of emotion also means he lacks negative emotions. So he often comes off as the most compassionate person in the crew. He operates on ethics, rather than anger or revenge. Where other movies or shows would portray that as cold and ruthless. To me he instead comes off as pure in spirit.

Now I am into season two of Legend of Korra, which I am enjoying. Though it still feels weird to me at times.

I think I will go back to Andromeda next. I left off of that about halfway through season two.

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 195 196 197 198 199 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:41 PM