Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Songs That Make You Go, "Hmmm...", Welcome to Nostalgia Alley...
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 01:18 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Mind the cobwebs... biggrin.gif ...

I had a thought the other day...No, stop applauding, I know it's a rare thing...

But this thought was one following the hearing of a certain song...

I'm sure we've all got songs that take us straight back to certain places, times, people, events etc...So, the thought was this...

Here's a thread where we post the songs, and - maybe - tell the story behind the song that makes it special for us...In few words or many, is fine...

Or not...As you wish... biggrin.gif ...

Song + Event = Nostalgia...

Oh, if you have many...Eak them out...One at a time...Maybe?... biggrin.gif ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stone Roses - Fools Gold...

This song was played everywhere around the time it came out...Especially the pubs around the village where I lived...There was three btw...We were quite well stocked for pubs, I have to admit...Then again, there was also a big church, so that might explain it...

Aaaamywho, this was all around 1990 and the time I started visiting said establishments with my chums...And Fools Gold seemed to be on the jukebox all the time...

Yes, if you do the maths, I was actually, technically too young to go in them...But, despite knowing my Dad, very well... rolleyes.gif ...I was still served with no problem... biggrin.gif ...

What?...How old?...Um... unsure.gif ...16-17... whistling.gif ...

biggrin.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 16 2014, 01:19 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post May 16 2014, 01:48 PM
Post #2

Master
Group Icon

Ash - Girl From Mars

Or The Kooks - Naive/She Moves In Her Own Way.

My dad's old CD had both of these songs on it, good times.
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 16 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

Here’s a Stone Roses link that worked for me (in the U.S): LINK. smile.gif

The summer I was 16 I spent a month in Germany with about twenty friends from school on an exchange program. Lots of freedom, sweet local boyfriend, not enough time. Here’s a song they played a lot in the club where we went pretty much every night. (Because the drinking age had just been changed to 21 in my home state. hehe.gif )

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #4

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh... huh.gif ...Do all the VEVO ones not work?...Will have to watch that then... kvleft.gif ...Many thanks for finding that one though... smile.gif ...

Loved yer song, btw... biggrin.gif ...

Another one from the 80s for ya!!...

1987...I'm in school...For some reason, there's lots about 1987 that I don't remember, but from school, I remember - possibly - too much...

There are also more than a few songs I could choose...Tango In The Night by Fleetwood Mac was big, as were a couple of other big name albums...

But this one...Def Leppard - Rocket...And its album, Hysteria seems to be the one that makes me shoot straight back to that...Happy...Well...-ish...Time... laugh.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 16 2014, 06:36 PM
+Quote Post
Rohirrim
post May 16 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Mouth
Group Icon

Christ, someone's on the thread-making warpath. ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 16 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

I had a couple of ideas in a row...I apologise for that, I'm sure it won't happen again for a while now...Fear not... blink.gif ...

Still, if you have a song, feel free to share it... huh.gif ...
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 16 2014, 10:15 PM
Post #7

Ancient
Group Icon

Chantal Kreviazuk - Before You is that song that came out just as a started to date a certain girl. A certain girl whom I became very serious with, though in the end it didn't quite work out. Whenever I hear it, I still think of her. wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 18 2014, 04:17 AM
Post #8

Councilor
Group Icon

Ooooh, I like that ^ ...Sadly, iTunes doesn't have it... kvleft.gif ...I'll just have to watch the Youtube loads... biggrin.gif ...

Fleetwood Mac - Oh Diane...

So it's early 1983...The year the titanic forces of adult relationships and parental strife decided to tear my world apart...*Sigh*...But that's besides the point...

From the age of about 6 until just after my 10th birthday, there was this girl who lived nearby...And we decided, pretty early on that we were Boyfriend and Girlfriend...Not that at that age there was any real concept of what that meant or anything...But we were...And that was that...

Then, just after the Christmas of 1982, Fleetwood Mac returned to the charts with Oh Diane...Which, just happened to be the girl's name... biggrin.gif ...Well, that was it!...I declared Fleetwood Mac my favourite band for life and this song the best ever...

It's quite possible...Actually, it's more than likely that I watched the TOTP performance that's used in the video up there...

Well, thirty years later and Fleetwood Mac are still one of my favourite bands...And I do still love the song, so at least I wasn't far off then... biggrin.gif ...

Sadly, in the September I was moved away from where we'd lived and I've only seen Diane twice, very briefly, since...*Sigh*...

But I always think of her when I hear the song...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 18 2014, 04:44 AM
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post May 18 2014, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for the blast from the past! How many times have I listened to (and sung along with) "Oh Diane" and "Eyes of the World!"

Here's my own blast from the past: What the devil's goin' on?

It was the summer I graduated from high school. My best friends had me spend the week with them for my birthday - a whole week away from my own family! I had brought the album for one of them for her birthday just a few weeks before. Back in the days of vinyl, as I recall. We had the habit of opening the albums and playing them just once to make sure there were no skips. So I did that for this album and fell in love with it from the first note - it was my first exposure to a "concept album" that told a story through its music and lyrics. The three of us played that album several times a day until we knew each song by heart. We would be deep in meaningful conversation, then look at each other and quote one line - just a few words - from one of those songs and the rest would finish the entire song.

It was an amazing time, and a great friendship that still holds to this day.

I have to admit that I can't pick one favorite from this album, but I chose James Young's tune because he could play it loud and fast - just the way I like it. Add to that the fact that this song is one of the most satirical songs I've ever heard - a sermon about the evils of heavy metal over a heavy metal soundtrack? Right!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post May 19 2014, 04:23 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Let's see...

There's Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. It was from back when I was in high school... and the marching band could do a rendition that would make you want to get up and just... move. The entire Machine Head album is quite good, for those of us who recall when "heavy metal" meant actual musicianship... (OK- that comment places the seal on my old foggiedom).

And then for a change of pace, Hearts of Stone Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. The guitar work is poignant and just... weeps. And I can only listen to the whole song when I am properly in the mood.

A number of Tom Waits songs... anything from Burma Shave to Shiver Me Timbers to The Heart of Saturday Night.

"Your arm around your sweet one in your Oldsmobile"

Indeed. Considering that when I was first dating seriously, I drove a 1975 Cutlass....

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post May 20 2014, 04:05 AM
Post #11

Councilor
Group Icon

Cheers both of you for the rawk stuff... biggrin.gif ...Reminded me of something...But that'll be for later... biggrin.gif ...

Never heard much Tom Waits...I can imagine that listening to that voice for an entire album needs gradual training up to... tongue.gif ...

And you can tell that Southside Johnny song was written by Springsteen... biggrin.gif ...

Anyways...To mine!!...

Tony Banks - I'll Be Waiting...

It's Something like '93-'94...It has to be vague, because all this started around '91 and ended messily in '95...So '93-'94 puts it smack bang in the middle, when everything was cruising along "Happily"...

And I have the most heartdestroyingly massive case of unrequited love on my best friend's fiancé...

We'd met her, pretty much at the same time...But his lack of full-time job meant that he managed to spend an awful long time with her, and they started dating...Awesome...

Me being me...And less...Angry...In my youth...I was just very happy to be her friend, she was totally awesome...

So as a group of friends...There were more of us in said group, not just we happy three btw... biggrin.gif ...Yeah, so as a group of friends we went about doing youth-y type stuff...Much fun!...

Yet all the time, I had fallen totally completely and utterly in love with The Girl...

Managed to hide it pretty well...So I thought...And even through that time...Drink/parties/girls...Y'know?...Aaaamywho...

Somewhere around '92 my Genesis obsession started with the release of their We Can't Dance album...And, me being me, and me having a job meant that I bought every single album that was able to be bought...Whether by Genesis themselves, or solo albums...And buried on an album called Bankstatement, was I'll Be Waiting...Which said, totally, what I was feeling at the time in the depths of my lurve-thing...

Things did not end well...

We both fell out with my friend...I was getting...Frustrated with his attempts at being Peter Pan and various other lifestyle choices, and She...Well, their engagement didn't last...

Then, as there always is in these stories, there was the one night...Drink, talking deep stuff...One thing to another etc...

Aaaand then she started dating another of our friends...

That hurt...That hurt big...

So in the end, it got stupid...After she finished with this one, she then started with yet another friend that I'd introduced her to...

Her reasoning - she told me towards the end of our time as friends - was that if she'd started dating me, that would have been it, we'd have been together forever, and that was not what she wanted at the time...I suppose that in there is a compliment of sorts...

However, by then I was angry...And my drink problem had spiralled completely out of control...

So then there was a big messy falling out and, y'know...Screaming cats/chickens/tyres rolling out of burning wrecks etc...

Then, not long after all this had gone down, I went to our local nightclub for my usual drink pile-on...As it happened my most favourite band of all time - Marillion - were doing a meet and greet for their latest album...Upstairs, where the album was playing on a loop, were a bunch of people sitting and talking...As I finished one drink at the bar, I decided I would lurch over there to talk Marillion with them...

One of said people...Was McWife...Who, I'll be honest, was at the time, McOtherbloke'swoman....But, I've mentioned that elsewhere on the forum... biggrin.gif ...

I'm very happy to be able to say that McWife cured me of the drink and The Girl...And what I felt for the other, while in no way nothing or worth nothing, it was still absolutely nothing compared to what I felt very quickly for McWife...

Anyways, a long and boring story, I know...But as my memory is running away pretty quickly at the moment, I felt I needed to get it down somewhere... laugh.gif ...

Thank you...How much an hour was that again?... wink.gif ...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: May 20 2014, 04:08 AM
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post May 20 2014, 06:24 PM
Post #12

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ May 19 2014, 04:23 PM) *

Let's see...

There's Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. It was from back when I was in high school... and the marching band could do a rendition that would make you want to get up and just... move. The entire Machine Head album is quite good, for those of us who recall when "heavy metal" meant actual musicianship... (OK- that comment places the seal on my old foggiedom).

And then for a change of pace, Hearts of Stone Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. The guitar work is poignant and just... weeps. And I can only listen to the whole song when I am properly in the mood.

A number of Tom Waits songs... anything from Burma Shave to Shiver Me Timbers to The Heart of Saturday Night.

"Your arm around your sweet one in your Oldsmobile"

Indeed. Considering that when I was first dating seriously, I drove a 1975 Cutlass....

Are you suggesting it doesn't anymore?
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Jul 5 2014, 03:46 AM
Post #13

Knower
Group Icon

I have no idea what this song is about. It's called Su Veneno and it took me awhile to track it down.

In 2009 I lived on my own in Arizona. And even though there were times that made me want to blow up, I can honestly say that it was the best time of my life.

As for where this song comes in, I worked in a care home and all my co-workers spoke primarily Spanish and they kept the radio to this station called Fuego. This song was on a lot and anytime I hear anything that played on Fuego I just remember those days.

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 5 2014, 06:04 AM
Post #14

Master
Group Icon

The Halo Theme.

Whenever I visited friends and family 10+ years ago, that was the game. Lots of late nights with that game shooting the bull.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 13 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #15

Councilor
Group Icon

Here's one that makes me think of a huge amount of stuff...But ultimately, it's kinda an anthem to how I've been feeling over the past few months...

ELO - Julie Don't Live Here Anymore...
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 16 2014, 04:01 AM
Post #16

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(افزا @ Sep 15 2014, 08:04 PM) *

The Forgotten Vale music makes me go hmmm because it is easily forgotten, yet it is so beautiful.

Veil is more accurate, but just as transparent.

This post has been edited by mALX: Sep 16 2014, 04:01 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Sep 16 2014, 06:18 AM
Post #17

Councilor
Group Icon

This music makes me go Hmmm...And also *sigh* due to its chilling-out effect...

Also, watch the video...This is pretty...

Chill out everyone...
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 16 2014, 06:20 AM
Post #18

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(McBadgere @ Sep 16 2014, 01:18 AM) *

This music makes me go Hmmm...And also *sigh* due to its chilling-out effect...

Also, watch the video...This is pretty...

Chill out everyone...

Like a scene from Forest Gump!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Oct 11 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #19

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Craig David - Seven Days
Blue - All Rise
Shakira - Whenever, wherever
S Club 7 - Bring It All Back
Enrique Iglesias and Whitney Houston - Over and Over
Jennifer Lopez - Aint It Funny
Marc Anthony - I Need To Know

And basically anything with Dido

What? huh.gif This wasn´t the thread about songs reminding you of that certain someone? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Oct 11 2014, 04:15 PM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Oct 11 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #20

Master
Group Icon

I got sent this as part of an automated birthday message from another forum I'm on. Certainly made me go "Hmmm"
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:04 PM