Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about how Silence works
Grits
post May 5 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

When your character is silenced, do magical effects that were cast by the character before they were silenced still work? For example, a shield spell?

Also, would an enchanted weapon still work, specifically one that absorbs magicka? I haven’t been able to arrange this scenario to find out.

kvleft.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 5 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ May 5 2011, 11:23 AM) *

When your character is silenced, do magical effects that were cast by the character before they were silenced still work? For example, a shield spell?

Also, would an enchanted weapon still work, specifically one that absorbs magicka? I haven’t been able to arrange this scenario to find out.

kvleft.gif

Yes, previously cast effects will still work. It would take a dispel effect to purge those.

Your enchanted weapon will work fine if you are under the silence effect.

Note: Special powers cannot be silenced. For example if you have a special power like Cobra's Dance it can't be silenced. Same with a spriggan's ability to summon a bear - it is a special power and cannot be silenced. Much of the magic used by creatures falls into this category (eg: the frost atronach's ability to heal itself). Being under a silence effect also does not prevent using scrolls.

Interestingly also, silence is a misnomer. Your character does not need to utter a sound to cast a spell. Further, your character can speak just fine when 'silenced'. I tend to think of it as 'cursing the ability to cast spells' although 'silence' is nice handy shorthand. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: May 5 2011, 07:40 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 5 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #3

Councilor
Group Icon

Thank you, Acadian!

I think “squelch” would be a good name instead of silence! smile.gif

I’ve been using this chart to tell which Greater and Lesser Powers are immune to silence, do you think it’s accurate? On the PS3 it is nearly impossible to test these things.

This post has been edited by Grits: May 5 2011, 10:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 5 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #4

Paladin
Group Icon

Heh, squelch or curse magic or something. tongue.gif

I had thought all special powers were immune to silence, but it looks like that chart is correct. I just had Buffy make a silence on self spell x 30 seconds and cast it. Then while silenced, she tried to cast her Cobra's Dance. No go. Learned something new!

I knew there was a good reason she carried those strong homemade dispel potions!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 6 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

Thank you!!

I’m adding “make dispel potions” and “hurry up with the recommendations” to Jerric’s To Do list. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post May 6 2011, 01:49 AM
Post #6

Paladin
Group Icon

Buffy mixes bergamot and grapes for her dispel potions. They taste good and smell nice too! They can leave a nasty stain if they spill though. tongue.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post May 6 2011, 02:16 AM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Outstanding, another way to ruin a shirt! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post May 7 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ May 5 2011, 02:39 PM) *

I’ve been using this chart to tell which Greater and Lesser Powers are immune to silence, do you think it’s accurate? On the PS3 it is nearly impossible to test these things.

Why can Voice of the Emperor be silenced? And Berserk and Adrenaline Rush can be silenced, but Dragon Skin can't??!! Just Bethesda's way of making the Breton even more OP, if you ask me! dry.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Captain Hammer
post May 7 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #9

Knower
Group Icon

Yeah, even I admit that Bretons are way overpowered as a playing race. Though I wonder, whether the immunity to silence was intended, and whether it was intended as a discrepancy with the other races. The high magic resilience and ease of increasing that makes me think that Bethesda may not have intended it, thinking that it was up to the player to get to a point where silence spells weren't problematic.

--------------------
My fists are not the Hammer!
100% Tamriel Department of Awesomeness (TDA) Certified Grade-A Dragonborn. Do not use before 11/11/11. Product of Tamriel.

Awtwyr Draghoyn: The FanFic; The FanArt.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:44 AM