Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

706 Pages V « < 679 680 681 682 683 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coffee Shop Forever, It's time to kick bottom and drink coffee!
Sakiri
post Mar 22 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #13601

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Mar 22 2020, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Mar 21 2020, 08:37 PM) *

In other news, the migration board needs my passport for my citizenship application. Yay.

Hopefully this means you'll get permanent status!

'That's the plan! I just have to wait for a letter it seems. Said letter or email, and I haven't gotten an email.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 22 2020, 01:33 PM
Post #13602

Spam Meister
Group Icon

I forget; do you have to renounce your American citizenship?

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Mar 22 2020, 09:09 PM
Post #13603

Master
Group Icon

No. I can though, but it'll cost me about 20k kronor.

Because the US is stupid and wants to keep all it's taxpayers.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 22 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #13604

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Mar 22 2020, 04:09 PM) *

No. I can though, but it'll cost me about 20k kronor.

Because the US is stupid and wants to keep all it's taxpayers.

No Country bashing please.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Mar 22 2020, 10:53 PM
Post #13605

Master
Group Icon

Okies. Can I complain about dumb policies then? -_-

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2020, 12:24 AM
Post #13606

Master
Group Icon

During yesterday's grocery run I found the t-paper isle again empty. I asked the cashier if there was some trick to finding it. She said it's no longer stocked on the those shelves, but kept in the layaway, to combat hoarders. After paying for groceries I made a beeline for layaway. Alas, they had none. They said they get some almost daily, but it goes fast. They don't know exactly what they get on any given day. If small size packages, they allow two packages per customer. If large packages, one per customer. I prefer large, but will take what I can get.

Here's the dilemma, as I see it. I need to check every day until I luck out. But every trip is an increased chance of catching the virus. A no-win situation. I'm okay this week, so won't bother. Come next week I'll likely be on my final roll. That's when I'll need to consider daily trips, assuming I don't luck out this coming Monday.

Besides t-paper, soup choice was slightly better than last week, but still almost non-existent. Again only one small Oatmeal canister, which I bought. Eggs where in stock. Not a lot, but more than plenty for me. Frozen veggies had been hit fair hard. There was still a decent selection, just not what I was looking for.

As to COVID-19 itself, I believe there are four confirmed cases in my county now. No reported deaths. Circa 230 confirmed state-wide.

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 25 2020, 12:30 AM
Post #13607

Master
Group Icon

Decrepit- do not know if your store offers this option- or if it would work for the paper products.... but.... could you call ahead and place an order to pick up on a specific day and at a specific time? Like say- call it in the day BEFORE for pickup around midday? That would allow time for the night/morning deliveries...

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 25 2020, 03:30 PM
Post #13608

Master
Group Icon

It's a good suggestion, treydoggie, but based on what Decrepit said, I'm not sure that ordering in advance would work, if the store does not know how many they would get each day. I've not seen TP on the shelves in my local store lately, fortunately we stocked up just before the panic hit (mega rolls, so they last much longer) and we are still good two weeks in. Still, it's worth looking into, if you can go to the store's website and see if they offer deliveries.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2020, 08:50 PM
Post #13609

Master
Group Icon

Thanks for the suggestions! smile.gif

Dilemma avoided!, assuming I didn't catch the virus while out and about. Called Wally World maybe an hour ago. Asked about t-paper. Yes, there was some in layaway. Hand sanitizer too. And sanitizing wipes. Quickly dressed and drove there. Sure enough, t-paper in several varieties. I bought a 12-pack of Charmin Ultra Soft. And the two other items. Plus a few canned vegetables for emergencies. And a B-day card for my bro. Nearly forgot that.

Still no good soup selection, alas.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 25 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #13610

Ancient
Group Icon

I lost my job today, thanks to the virus. It was a blanket thing. All contract workers were let go. I am not really surprised, as all the plants and dealers are shut down. They might call us back next month, depending on how things are then.

But I have worked in corporate americana for long enough to have money in the back for just such an occasion. Tomorrow I'll file for unemployment. So I am on extended vacation in my living room. I am confident that I have plenty of movies to watch, video games to play, and fan fic to read and write to fill my (hopefully temporary) early retirement with distractions!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Mar 25 2020, 09:24 PM
Post #13611

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Sorry to hear that SubRosa! Not fun news sad.gif

Hope you'll cope!

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 25 2020, 09:40 PM
Post #13612

Paladin
Group Icon

Aww, so sorry to hear that, SubRosa. sad.gif

I was hoping that, as an IT, you were essential but safely sequestered (mostly) or perhaps able to work at home. I'm glad it does not place you in dire straits for gold at this point, and hope this all passes quickly so you can be put back on someone's payroll.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 25 2020, 10:16 PM
Post #13613

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 25 2020, 03:50 PM) *

Thanks for the suggestions! smile.gif

Dilemma avoided!, assuming I didn't catch the virus while out and about. Called Wally World maybe an hour ago. Asked about t-paper. Yes, there was some in layaway. Hand sanitizer too. And sanitizing wipes. Quickly dressed and drove there. Sure enough, t-paper in several varieties. I bought a 12-pack of Charmin Ultra Soft. And the two other items. Plus a few canned vegetables for emergencies. And a B-day card for my bro. Nearly forgot that.

Still no good soup selection, alas.

Happy Birthday to your Brother!!!

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 25 2020, 04:21 PM) *

I lost my job today, thanks to the virus. It was a blanket thing. All contract workers were let go. I am not really surprised, as all the plants and dealers are shut down. They might call us back next month, depending on how things are then.

But I have worked in corporate americana for long enough to have money in the back for just such an occasion. Tomorrow I'll file for unemployment. So I am on extended vacation in my living room. I am confident that I have plenty of movies to watch, video games to play, and fan fic to read and write to fill my (hopefully temporary) early retirement with distractions!

Aw, I am so sorry! Really glad that you were prepared though = and glad you are well stocked for your surprise vacation, lol. I hope things improve soon for you.

What our area has been doing to stay social while isolating:

Everyone has been putting Teddy Bears (or whatever other stuffed animals they have) into various funny positions and scenes into the windows along the front of their houses; and everyone has been getting out and walking (or driving if they can afford the gas) around to sight these = they are calling it "Bear Hunting," lol. Anyway, it is fun and cute; and takes our minds off the whole problem in thinking up new scenes to set up in our windows.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 25 2020, 10:47 PM
Post #13614

Master
Group Icon

SubRosa,
I feel for you. Scary times. Thank goodness you have the nest-egg. Let's hope this somehow works itself out before you need to eat much into it!!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 26 2020, 12:08 AM
Post #13615

Master
Group Icon

SubRosa, sorry to hear that. Glad you have a cushion, but still.... Our... um... need to be careful... organization doesn't seem to get the seriousness. While most folks in the larger scheme are being sent home to work, the IT staff are still expected to go make site visits. We were offered a sort of work from home option, but fenced about with conditions. Still have to make site visits, but only account for mileage as if travel was from the office; have to keep an"activity log" daily and email to a high level manager, so they can "monitor productivity.". Despite my age, I decided going to the office is less stressful.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Mar 26 2020, 12:23 AM
Post #13616

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Mar 25 2020, 03:21 PM) *

That stinks. Hopefully you’ll be back at it soon! In the meantime, try to enjoy the free time!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
macole
post Mar 26 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #13617

Mouth
Group Icon

Best wishes to you SubRosa. Hope you come through this in short time with little stress.

As for t-paper; in my area you have to get up really early to go hunting that beastie. Shelves that are fully stocked when the stores open at 7:00am are bare by 7:30am. Been that way for the past two weeks. Makes me wonder what are people doing that they need so much t-paper.

Stay safe everyone.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Mar 26 2020, 10:00 PM
Post #13618

Councilor
Group Icon

SubRosa, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope that things get up and running again soon. In the meantime it sounds like you have a good plan and a great attitude about it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 27 2020, 12:35 AM
Post #13619

Master
Group Icon

So sorry to hear about your job, Sage Rose. It’s stories like yours that make me realize how fortunate I am to be working for my company - as soon as things started escalating in the US they sent us home - the stores have been shut down for almost two weeks now, and we’re all home WITH PAY for the duration of this crisis. It’s what my company did with the China employees - and those stores were closed for a month.

With my state in lockdown I expect the stores in my area to be closed at least a week longer than originally planned. Of course, watching the numbers rise on the state public health website, I’m thinking we’ll be out for a month as well.

Good luck to you, Sage Rose! Sounds like me - make the most of this unexpected “vacation” and get things done that we always wanted to do! Stay healthy and stay sane!

--------------------
+Quote Post
stargelman
post Mar 27 2020, 01:42 PM
Post #13620

Senor Snore
Group Icon

Sorry to hear, SubRosa. Hopefully you can get your job back when the crazyness subsides.

Our company is going to introduce short-time work, where you either work reduced hours or not at all and instead of your normal wage, you get 60% of the wage you are NOT getting from the government. Kind of like temporary unemployment, kinda thing, but without actually losing your job. For me it's probably reduced hours, but some of my coworkers might be hit much harder. The guys that do repairs on our devices for instance are kinda out of work because our customers have all shut down completely. And with just 60% (or 66% if you have children) life is much more difficult for some people, depending on the normal wage.

So yeah, Rona can go sod off and suck a wet sock.

As for TP, I ordered some online because the local shops never seem to have any.

--------------------
Being good means getting better.
+Quote Post

706 Pages V « < 679 680 681 682 683 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:42 PM