Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advanced combat mod.
Andyp
post Jun 10 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Associate

Somone else has probably come up with an idea similar to this but i checked the search and nothing like what i was thinking of seemed to come up.

Anyhow im new here and i was playing oblivion the other day with my lvl 54 assasin dude and i realised that despite the looks and the better moves that you unlock later on, the combat was actually rather shallow.

Now my idea was to make combat context based and more hit location based, also i would love to work on the hand to hand making it a bit more like an assassins should be, i mean im pretty sure that the assassins train in martial combat so imo you should be able to just that, because atm the oblivion character punches like a thug who has just stumbled out of a pub.

Also when i said hit located and context based i meant that say a guard was running at you and was about to strike, well you would click the attack button as normal, but say you aimed at his leg? well that would deliver say a kick or punch that would disable him or knock him to the floor, this way combat would be even more physical than it is now and increadable fun.

On the other hand i must admit that it is very elaborate and probably would require a lot of complex coding shame i have no idea where to start, anyhow tell me what you think of my idea.
Thanx
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lev_the_devil
post Jun 12 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #2

Retainer

sounds good, difficult to do though. i'm gonna start a thread that lists things that should be considered for either a mod or a future elder scrolls game, then after the list is finished, maybe try and send it to bethseda
+Quote Post
Andyp
post Jun 13 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #3

Associate

yeah that was sadly my fear, i wish i knew a lot more about making mods and stuff, im afraid it would be very difficult to implement as it probably would require an entire rethinking of the engine which wouldent be a mod more of a totally new game.

Its just that i have got many characters and i worked hard with all of them and on some i got their combat skills to 100, now i like the oblivion combat and the way its so realistic and physical, however i found that despite the new skills and moves i got as i advanced in lvl the fact that the other enemys advanced with me meant that i couldent rely on my new skills, because they are based on how high your agility is in relation to theirs, this meant that they usually had an agility lvl nearly equal to me, and basicly the percentage of my attacks having the desired effect ie:
disarm, knockback or paralyse, was very small so therefore there is no fun to be had in progressing and spending time with the game if the rewards are unstable and unreliable.

So i just thought it would be nice to have a cool fun combat system that was location based, and is more importantly, reliable.

This post has been edited by Andyp: Jun 13 2006, 06:35 PM
+Quote Post
lev_the_devil
post Jun 13 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Retainer

it might be easy enough to adjust percantage levels based on your current skill level, agility and character level as far a percantage that an attack will land correctly. that should be easy to do, but adding new attacks or any fancy stuff like that, i'm just not sure
+Quote Post
cheesecake
post Jun 14 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #5

Retainer

id you r gonnd do a list...get the screen names all typed at the bottom....always makes it more effective
+Quote Post
hunter14
post Jun 19 2006, 03:41 AM
Post #6

Evoker

a little off the topic but how u get up to level 54. I beat the game and im only lvl 15

--------------------
i own your monkeys hahahahahaha

attack my monkeys!!!

want a banana, well u cant have one

only my monkeys can

u bananaless person
------------------------
+Quote Post
ThePerson98
post Jun 19 2006, 04:49 AM
Post #7

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(hunter14 @ Jun 18 2006, 08:41 PM)
a little off the topic but how u get up to level 54. I beat the game and im only lvl 15

A little? Dude, threads get closed for going off topic like that. Make a thread about it instead of just going and changing a threads topic..

If Im posting might as well contribute to the thread biggrin.gif

Maybe possible to make "skills" that are like spells, but use the weapons to do different attacks, that have a strength and a weakness.

Basically make it like rock paper scissors. Nothing is incredible, nothing is weak. They all can completely dominate one move, but could be dominated by another.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Ibis
post Jun 19 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

Hmmm, I'm trying to understand what ThePerson98 is suggesting.

About the combat style = that is hardcoded into the game and people went through all kinds of stuff with this in Morrowind and their fighting style, which I know is different. But the thing is that actions are pretty much hardcoded into games.

Now there was a group of excellent modders who got together for Morrowind and made a mod called The Glory Road. They actually coded in new game actions for MW = lying down, sitting, some different fighting and dancing differently than at The House of Earthly Delights. If you're really interested in changing hardcoded game actions - or adding to them ... I'd look up some of those people through Googling for the mod. Or at least get the mod and look at the scripting or however they added in new actions.

People who claimed to have made dual weapon action in MW were only basically putting a weapon in the shield hand, as far as I know. It still blocked like a shield. And the most desired fighting requests were for Eastern style fighting - karate, judo, tai kwando, etc. ... but as far as I know - The Glory Road people were the only ones to actually add in new fighting moves and styles.

But maybe what thePerson98 is suggesting it possible. I'd have to hear more on that.

--------------------
IPB Image <--- Moon Cookiies for all who join @ TESFU

+Quote Post
ThePerson98
post Jun 19 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #9

Finder
Group Icon

Just thought more on it..Im no modder. But I sort of understand the game a bit.

With my suggested idea, it might be possible to make it like a touch effect spell, but instead of the every day stick out the hand and fire appears, make it to wear you swing your sword a different way?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Andyp
post Jun 20 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #10

Associate

^ great ideas guys keep em coming, and even though it was off topic i got to lvl 54 because i had also compleated the game at an early lvl because of the monsters lvli9ng with you there is no challange in early lvls.

So i decided to grind a little and just get a high lvl. it makes it more challanging and fun.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:31 PM