I'm terrified of them. [ 1 ] ** [2.70%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
SubRosa
post Mar 29 2020, 01:42 AM
Post #101

Ancient
Group Icon

Wow. That is terrifying. Thank goodness you and your brother are ok. I have lived in the Midwest for almost all of my life, but have thankfully never been near a tornado.

Which is a good thing, since we Witches have a bad history with those things... wink.gif

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 29 2020, 02:06 AM
Post #102

Paladin
Group Icon

Like SubRosa said - Wow. So glad you and your brother are okay. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 29 2020, 10:43 AM
Post #103

Master
Group Icon

A short after-storm update by a station unknown to me:

Violent tornado rips through Jonesboro (YouTube video)

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 29 2020, 04:25 PM
Post #104

Ancient
Group Icon

That is terrible! sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 29 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #105

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 28 2020, 08:34 PM) *

Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! panic.gif

Holy crappoli! Strong tornado plowed through a portion of the city 8-10 miles away this afternoon. The city where I do all my shopping, have medical appointments, etc. The city where my Brother lives.

I watched it on TV from start to finish, having been alerted to possible severe weather at my online-weather-site-of-choice. Turned on my local TV station. Solid severe weather reporting, to the exclusion of all else, which is still going on. The tornado was first reported south of us, heading Northeast. The funnel then disappeared. Our weatherman said not to trust it, as it looked as if it would reform, possibly over the city. Which is exactly what happened. Class 3 or 4 was his guess, not yet confirmed. They had a live-cam active, pointed at the storm cloud. We saw the funnel reform, touch the ground, and carve a path through the city, debris flying. Darn scary! The city's big mall, where I worked some years ago, was hit hard. Among stores receiving the most damage, our area's only book store, and Best Buy. (A little sad irony, when talking on the phone earlier today, pre storm, with my brother, he mentioned the that only reason the visit the mall these days is its book store. I agreed. So much for mall visits.)

I called my bro soon as it was safe after the tornado passed beyond the city. He's okay, as is his property.

I'm fine too. Well, as fine as a decrepit person can be. My little town was at first included the tornado's possible path, but it ended up passing us to the east.

I suspect clips of this to appear on YouTube, but at the moment my internet is responding at a snail's pass. Oh...here it is...what we saw as the tornado touched down and passed through the city!

(YouTube Video) KAIT8 ABC live shot from Skycam of Jonesboro AR tornado, March 28th 2020 (YouTube video)

Oh, I am so glad you and your Brother are safe! My heart and prayers go out to anyone who was affected; and by the size of that storm and the debris = Jonesboro will most def be declared a disaster area so the government can help them fund repairing and rebuilding.

I do have to say this, though: In the face of and throughout the crisis; that news crew was amazing! They went street by street; they know their town by heart to be able to know which cross streets are coming up; etc. Also = throughout the broadcast they gave detailed warnings that someone might not have thought of (like putting football helmets on the children; getting to a spot with only inner walls; etc). Best news crew coverage I've ever seen on any tornado or even any hurricane landings.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 29 2020, 09:59 PM
Post #106

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 29 2020, 03:14 PM) *

I do have to say this, though: In the face of and throughout the crisis; that news crew was amazing! They went street by street; they know their town by heart to be able to know which cross streets are coming up; etc. Also = throughout the broadcast they gave detailed warnings that someone might not have thought of (like putting football helmets on the children; getting to a spot with only inner walls; etc). Best news crew coverage I've ever seen on any tornado or even any hurricane landings.

Agreed. KAIT8 has somehow been able to retain an amazing weather team for decades, despite occasional personnel turnover. (The fellow we see in-studio is, I believe, 'fairly' new to the station. The fellow whose voice we hear is a well-established veteran.)

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 29 2020, 09:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 31 2020, 03:15 AM
Post #107

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Mar 29 2020, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 29 2020, 03:14 PM) *

Agreed. KAIT8 has somehow been able to retain an amazing weather team for decades, despite occasional personnel turnover. (The fellow we see in-studio is, I believe, 'fairly' new to the station. The fellow whose voice we hear is a well-established veteran.)

They really deserve any praise they get for how they handled the whole situation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 9 2020, 01:10 AM
Post #108

Master
Group Icon

Doh! Severe Thunderstorm Warning just issues. Tornado watch too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 9 2020, 07:47 AM
Post #109

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Apr 8 2020, 08:10 PM) *

Urgh; stay safe! Good luck for both you and your Brother!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 9 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #110

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 9 2020, 01:47 AM) *

Thanks. The area indeed had another long-lasting tornado on the ground. Thankfully, due to the direction this front traveled (east southeast) it stayed a bit to the south of us (and Jonesboro). Had it taken its normal path (roughly northeast) it might have been a different story. Or not. Who's to say? KAIT again covered the tornado to the exclusion of all other programming. I watched from the sofa until around 2100. Nodded off. Woke around 2120 to see regular programming on the tube. Don't know what if any damage this tornado caused, other than hitting one mobile home. While I was watching it mainly passed through open fields.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 9 2020, 07:07 PM
Post #111

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Apr 9 2020, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Apr 9 2020, 01:47 AM) *

Thanks. The area indeed had another long-lasting tornado on the ground. Thankfully, due to the direction this front traveled (east southeast) it stayed a bit to the south of us (and Jonesboro). Had it taken its normal path (roughly northeast) it might have been a different story. Or not. Who's to say? KAIT again covered the tornado to the exclusion of all other programming. I watched from the sofa until around 2100. Nodded off. Woke around 2120 to see regular programming on the tube. Don't know what if any damage this tornado caused, other than hitting one mobile home. While I was watching it mainly passed through open fields.

Oh, I'm so glad it didn't hit the same places that had already been devastated by the last one! Sounds like you and Brother are okay though; and that is always good.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 10 2020, 02:40 AM
Post #112

Ancient
Group Icon

It's been snowing all night, along with high winds. Just love Spring.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Apr 10 2020, 12:09 PM
Post #113

Master
Group Icon

Hmmm... just checked out the weekend forecast. As of now we're getting strong T-storms Sunday from 0300 until nighttime. Unlike our past few storm days, when severe storms were 'possible,' this Sunday they are 'expected.' Not an overly encouraging forecast, I must say.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 25 2021, 02:13 PM
Post #114

Master
Group Icon

This is our first 'stormy' day in quite a while. T-storms until late afternoon. Chance of locally heavy rains. Gusty winds. Possibility of small hail. As of now, none of this is being labelled as 'severe'. No weather warnings have been issues. I have, however, decided to postpone my Monday morning grocery run until tomorrow. Luckily, I have enough of everything to last the extra day without altering planned meals. Expect milk. This is one of those rare weeks when I need to buy two gallons of it as opposed to one. Enough remains for tomorrow's breakfast, but not enough for both it and a Wowbutter sammich for today's lunch. I can and prolly will lunch on soup today instead, since I drink water with that.

A weather related matter I might or might not have mentioned elsewhere. Our Mall, damaged in last April's tornado, is still not repaired. Its only stores remaining upon are several 'anchors' that survived the tornado unscathed. I believe them to be Target, J.C. Penny's, and maybe Dillards (sp?), but don't quote me. The city has declared the unrepaired portion an eye-sore and safety hazard, and has given Mall's owner(s) several months to clean up the mess and raze what isn't repaired. If it's not done by then... Well, politics being what it is, it's likely little to nothing will happen other than an issuing an extension. Other than jobs lost, I don't much care one way or the other. The only Mall stores I visited those last few years were Best Buy and Barnes & Noble. Best Buy has already re-located elsewhere. Barns & Noble does not plan to reopen in our city. I suppose I might visit Target once in a blue moon were the pandemic over and done with. By that time, who known what the Mall's situation will be?

--------------------
+Quote Post
macole
post Jan 25 2021, 06:16 PM
Post #115

Mouth
Group Icon

We haven't had a serious T-storm here in awhile either. Today it is raining lightly but steady, a good soaker rain. Ground is dry and we need it.

I like sitting on the back porch watching the light show of a t-storm. My dog though runs to the basement to sit it out in a dark corner.

--------------------
Vampire Hunter,
Endure and through enduring grow strong.
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jan 25 2021, 07:28 PM
Post #116

Master
Group Icon

Had a couple come rolling in last night happy.gif.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 25 2021, 07:52 PM
Post #117

Paladin
Group Icon

Even my rock pile in the high desert is getting rain. Nice rain over the night with one embedded T-storm. Now a good steady rain for most of the day. Much needed and very welcome.

It is cold also. I'm at 3000 feet and the mountain next to me at 4000 feet has a light covering of snow. The rain is now gradually turning to snow - great fun! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jan 25 2021, 07:55 PM

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 11 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #118

Master
Group Icon

Sitting at the computer prior to breakfast, I noticed what sounded like sleet hitting the roof. If my ears could hear it, it has to be significant. I visited my online weather site of choice. Was greeted by a Severe Ice Storm Warning! Totally unexpected. We've not had any significant winter storms in years.

I hope this isn't a repeat of 2009, when a large area lost electricity for up to weeks due to ice damage. I went without for five-plus days, saved by long-gone next-door-neighbors who let me sleep on a mattress in front of their living room gas-powered faux fireplace, while they stayed with relatives in an unaffected area. That, and the city providing meals (for cost) at our community center, powered by a generator.

It just now turned light enough to see outside. Good news, no noticeable ice accumulation on trees, rooftops, etc. As it stopped precipitation some time ago, we might be okay.

ADDENDUM: now later in the morning and a bit lighter outside, I do indeed notice what looks to be a very thin accumulation of ice on rooftops, and a solid covering on our streets. Thankfully I don't have to set foot outside the house today except to check for mail. No further precipitation, so maybe all's well?

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Feb 11 2021, 03:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Feb 12 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #119

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Glad the ice storm wasn't so bad and that you can stay inside, Decrepit goodjob.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Feb 13 2021, 05:39 PM
Post #120

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Feb 12 2021, 02:05 PM) *

Glad the ice storm wasn't so bad and that you can stay inside, Decrepit goodjob.gif

Me too. We ain't done yet. Temps won't rise above freezing until the end of next week, when they suddenly reach the 40s. We've snow beginning Sunday night. Road travel is predicted to be difficult to impossible. No Grocery run for me Monday. Maybe not Tuesday. Maybe not Wednesday. Maybe not Thursday. Food wise, I'll make it okay Monday and Tuesday, then have to ration. I could kick myself for not buying a large tub of oatmeal this past Monday, as I debated doing.

My bro called awhile ago. He was able to reach Walmart for groceries yesterday evening, but couldn't drive his car up the driveway once home, so parked it curbside. This morning he attempted to go in to work. His car won't start, even after a neighbor 'jumped' it. Working at a car dealership, he plans to have it towed Monday. Under normal circumstances, I'd have volunteered my services to insure the situation is handled expeditiously. But I don't dare drive my car anywhere for now. Last thing I need is to be stuck for days at his (internetless) house for days. Assuming I make it that far. LOL

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:04 PM