15 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An Argonian's Account, Haa-Rei's adventures in Cyrodiil
hazmick
post Aug 18 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #241

Mouth
Group Icon

ghastley - Haa-Rei usually would go for that approach, but Cirinwe is very much in favour of NOT killing people if necessary. She's weird like that.

Acadian - Technically ALL elves are edible - just ask the Bosmer! ohmy.gif

Previously- Haa-Rei, Cirinwe, and Trivea arrived at Bloodcrust Cavern and cleared it of vampires. Then they returned to Skingrad and informed the vampire hunters that they were no longer needed...

Chapter 73

With the vampires destroyed and the hunters seen off, Cirinwe and I returned to Trivea’s manor. Trivea’s maid informed us that her ladyship had gone to speak with the count, so Cirinwe and I were to make ourselves at home for the time being.

For all the manor was enormous, it actually only had three rooms. The main room housed a dining area, with a seating area and library on a balcony above. Downstairs from the dining room was a modest kitchen, which doubled up as the maid’s quarters. On the top floor of the house was an enormous bedroom, which looked as though it had never been used – it wouldn’t have surprised me to learn that Trivea slept in the basement.

Every inch of wall was decorated with rich tapestries, paintings, or display cases. The windows were all covered by thick curtains, and dozens of candles illuminated the whole house. It was the perfect place for a vampire to lay low.

I was just examining the library when Trivea returned, looking a little disappointed.

“What’s wrong?” Cirinwe asked, obviously picking up on the mood as well.

“The town guards lost an entire patrol to Daedra last night. 10 men.” Trivea flopped down into an armchair and motioned to the maid for some wine.

“Is there a gate nearby?” I asked.

“Not as far as I can tell, though as a conjurer you’d probably have sensed it already.” She was right, of course. The previous gates I’d encountered were like beacons of energy, and it would be difficult for me to miss one nearby.

“What can we do to help?” Cirinwe volunteered, though Trivea shook her head.

“Nothing, thank you. You two still need to head to Anvil, but I’ll remain here to keep an eye on things.”

“Any idea where the Daedra came from? Even without the dragonfires they shouldn’t be able to stray too far from a gate.” I asked, though I already knew the answer.

“Last seen headed west. I suggest the two of you head out as soon as you’re ready.”

Thanks to Cirinwe’s organisational skills, we were pretty much always ready to head out. After bidding farewell to Trivea, we set off towards Anvil. The idea that an Oblivion gate could have opened near the city was, unsurprisingly, weighing heavily on Cirinwe. I was also not too fond of the idea, especially after the daedra so soundly defeated a group of Skingrad’s finest. The Anvil guards were similarly well funded, though more used to breaking up brawls between sailors than fighting daedra or undead.

With Kvatch gone, the Gold Road would have significantly less guards patrolling and…well…guarding. Signs of Daedra were everywhere – deep gouges in the earth from Clannfears, the occasional scorched rock or tree courtesy of scamps. We didn’t see the daedra themselves though – whether or not that was a good thing…I’m not so sure.

The last time Cirinwe and I had been this way, the journey had taken considerably longer. She had been a robe-clad mage, unused to travelling or camping. Now she was wearing heavy armour, and moving almost as a quickly as I did. We were setting up camp in sheltered area just to the east of Kvatch.

The sun was still up, but with Daedra potentially roaming around I felt it safer to get everything set up now. While Cirinwe cast her warding spells around the camp, I set off to see about catching something to eat.

The plains around Kvatch were eerily quiet. The presence of daedra seemed to have frightened away any deer or birds. Fortunately there were still some rabbits to be found, two of which I dispatched quickly and tied to my belt. The only other animal I saw was the scarred and savaged body of a mountain lion, which appeared to have encountered some daedra. Two dead scamps lay broken nearby, and some tracks indicated that the remaining creatures had headed west. If there was an Oblivion gate over that way, I would close it.

I hastened back to camp and began preparing the rabbits. I added carrots, onions, and herbs, along with the meat, to a large pot of water. After 2 hours over the fire, it would be done. While we waited, Cirinwe and I would usually read or chat, but today my elven companion was deep in thought. Of course she was worried about her sister in Anvil, and I could hardly tell her not to worry about it with the ruins of Kvatch plainly visible against the setting sun. Instead I made a pot of tea, and silently handed a cup to Cirinwe.

“Haa-Rei…if there’s a gate near Anvil…” Cirinwe began.

“Then we shall find it, and we shall close it.” I finished.

“Are you worried about Leyawiin?” She asked after a few minutes.

“I haven’t really thought about it. I suppose I am, a little.” As I lifted the lid off the cooking pot, the rich scent was picked up by the light evening breeze and wafted around the camp. Nearly ready.

“Don’t you want to go back?”

“Not really. If I was back there, waiting around for an Oblivion gate to pop up, I wouldn’t be much help to anyone. I prefer being out here.” I leaned back and looked up at the stars, only a few were visible at that moment, but they were beautiful.

Cirinwe shuffled over to sit beside me, leaning into my shoulder to follow my gaze upwards. A faint smile played across her lips for a moment, and she seemed to brighten up ever so slightly.

“Thank you.” She said, nudging me lightly with an armoured elbow. Quite what I was being thanked for, I wasn’t sure.

I returned the nudge with my own, slightly less metallic, elbow before finally serving dinner. Despite the daedra and whatever else that may threaten our homes, there’s nowhere I’d rather be.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Aug 18 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #242

Master
Group Icon

What can I say but wub.gif

In so many ways the relationship between Haa-Rei and Cirinwe remind me of the relationship between my Julian and her Captain Steffan.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 18 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #243

Councilor
Group Icon

"Even without the dragonfires they shouldn’t be able to stray too far from a gate."

and

"- deep gouges in the earth from Clannfears, the occasional scorched rock or tree courtesy of scamps."

These say a lot about Haa-Rei - how he reasons, how he observes. Almost as much as how he interacts with Cirinwe.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 18 2017, 07:28 PM
Post #244

Paladin
Group Icon

Another delightful episode. Haa-Rei’s storytelling continues to be a joy to read. The way you paint his interactions and observations is just so. . . comfortable. Yes, that is what makes it so nice to curl up with this story.

I continue to enjoy the delicately beautiful relationship between Scars and Scales, of course. happy.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 21 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #245

Councilor
Group Icon

Catching up with Haa-Rei and Cirinwe has been an absolute delight. Their gently blooming relationship warms the heart. I always read with a fresh cup of tea in hand now, because I know that within a few paragraphs I will want one! tongue.gif

I love the way you weave Cirinwe’s magic seamlessly into Oblivion’s world. Her handling of the vampire hunters made me grin.

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 9 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #246

Mouth
Group Icon

haute - Aww thanks! High praise indeed!

ghastley - He wasn't made a Blade for nothing! Now if only he could remember to actually do some work for them...

Acadian - Thank you! Comfortable is what we're aiming for. happy.gif

Grits - Maybe we should get an advertisement deal going with the East Empire company - we could sell tons of tea! tongue.gif

Previously - with news of daedric attacks becoming more common, Haa-Rei and Cirinwe began their journey to Anvil. The two set up camp near Kvatch, signs of daedra all around...

Chapter 74

I squinted my eyes against the first rays of morning light. Dawn had passed some time ago, but our camp was quite sheltered and had lingered in shadow for a while longer. The Gold Coast stretched out before me, calm and quiet.

Cirinwe’s arms appeared around my waist, and I felt her chin rest on the top of my head.

“You didn’t come to bed last night. Trouble?” she asked, burying her face in my feathery head spines.

“I could hear daedra, though I haven’t seen any. We can head out whenever you’re ready.” I knew that Cirinwe would be eager to get to Anvil, and I was eager to find out where these mystery Daedra were coming from.

Cirinwe prepared herself a light breakfast while I woke up the fire and warmed myself up. A thin film of dew had settled on me while I’d been standing around, and my body was stiff from the chill. Though I’d seen no Daedra, I had found a bergamot plant near camp – the leaves of which make a delicious tea. Between that and the fire, I was soon warmed up and ready to go.

After Cirinwe’s breakfast, we packed up camp and continued on the road to Anvil, and I was surprised to find that it wasn’t completely abandoned. We passed two inns on the road which had guardsmen and mages stationed outside, and when Anvil came into view some hours later I could see more soldiers atop the walls. If the daedra attacked, Anvil would be ready. Whether or not that would make a difference…

Other than the soldiers, Anvil was the same as in my previous visit. People seemed to be going about their business as usual, though there was an understandable note of tension in the air.

“So Trivea’s friend…” Cirinwe began.

“Can wait until you’ve visited your sister.” I interrupted. “I’ll have a wander around and meet you outside the mages guild hall in a few hours.”

Cirinwe smiled and bent down to kiss me on the snout before heading off to her sister’s house. I turned in the opposite direction and headed for a set of stairs which led up to the walls. A local guardsman moved to block my path, but allowed me to pass after I showed him my identification – being a legate sometimes has its uses.

From the high walls I had a good view of the surrounding area, and also stood within earshot of several conversations between nearby soldiers. I learned that the countess of Anvil had hired the Fighters Guild to bolster her forces (because of course the guild still needed to be paid to protect the world from daedra) and the Mages Guild had freely offered healers and battlemages as support.

Regular patrols of the region and guard outposts along the borders meant that any daedric incursions were swiftly dealt with, and morale was high. There had still been no sighting of a gate, however, so quite where the daedra were coming from was still a mystery. The last sighting of daedra was at a ruin called Crowhaven, just to the northwest of town. A good place to start.

I made good time moving alone, and soon reached the ruin. The bodies of several scamps and clannfear had been piled and burned in an open area near the ruins. Broken arrow heads, areas of scorched ground, and other signs of battle were all around. It took a couple of minutes to find some clear tracks, which suggested that the daedra came from the north.

Unsurprisingly, daedra are easy to track, even had the scamps not left a trail of scorched earth for me to follow. The tracks eventually took me to an Ayleid ruin. The ruins consisted of a broken arch over what may have once been a bridge. The entrance was a small door, with a statue above the door holding a broken sword aloft. Two scamps stood on the broken bridge, chattering and growling to each other. They went down with an arrow each.

Once inside, I was met with the familiar dusty smell that seems to linger in all Ayleid ruins. This was mixed with a slightly sulphurous hint, which suggested some form of summoning ritual had occurred here. The entry corridor soon turned and led to a large room that was empty but for a single central dais upon which a welkynd stone glowed softly. A figure stood nearby, clad in robes and reading from a large book.

The mysterious figure smelled strongly of sulphur, and daedric markings glowed softly on the cover of the book. The figure grunted when my arrow struck their back, but made no other sound as they crumpled to the floor.

On closer inspection, the book was a detailed guide to summoning daedra. Ordinarily the rituals would allow a mage to summon a weak daedra for a few minutes, but without the dragonfires to disrupt the magic these conjurers could summon and permanently bind as many daedra as they pleased.

I slid the book into my pack and proceeded through the ruin. As well as daedra, the conjurers had also managed to summon some skeletons – one of which I encountered in a small chamber which also housed a varla stone. The skeleton was dealt with easily, but it took me longer than I’d have liked to find the switch to open the varla cage. The stone was beautiful – pure white like a fragment of a star, and glowing softly in the gloom. I slipped it into my pack before moving on.

The ruin was quite easy to navigate, with large rooms being joined by rather straightforward passages. Two more conjurers and a scamp were easily dealt with and before long I reached the door leading to the next level.

This level was different from the first in that it lacked much of the smaller passages. Large rooms were connected almost immediately to each other, which allowed me to slink around in the shadows while I hunted my prey. Two more conjurers and Two more daedra fell to my arrows, though the second clannfear technically died after activating a particularly nasty spike trap. The only difficulty I had was in the last room, with a conjurer I took to be the leader of this group.

His robes had at one point been the blue robes of a Mages Guild conjurer, but they were now tattered and soiled. He was reading from a book similar to the first conjurer, but his spell was much further along – before him stood a hulking daedroth, bound by magical chains. I could feel the daedroth’s rage, it was angry at the conjurer for trying to bind it, as anyone would be in such a situation.

The head of a daedroth looks similar to that of a crocodile, though many (such as this one) have sharp, black horns sweeping up from their brow. The rest of the creature’s body was decidedly unlike anything else in the world – it stood upright on two sturdy legs, with a powerful tail for balance. Its long arms were thick with muscle, and massive hands ended in wicked looking claws. The creature’s grey, scaly hide was thick and dotted with larger black scales which glistened in the Ayleid light.

There was no way to avoid a fight here, so I loosed an arrow. The conjurer gasped when my arrow pierced the back of his neck, and as soon as he hit the floor the magical chains around the daedroth shattered. The creature leaped at the conjurer’s body, tearing it to pieces with otherworldly fury.

Then, it turned towards me.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 9 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #247

Paladin
Group Icon

’Cirinwe’s arms appeared around my waist, and I felt her chin rest on the top of my head.’
- - A wonderful picture of the natural and warm relationship between Scars and Scales. happy.gif

Haa-Rei was kind to ensure Cirinwe got the opportunity to visit with her sister first off, while he went daedra hunting. That said, I’m not so sure such an expedition without his high elven mage along is a great idea. . . .

Eeep! Conjurors run amok with the Dragonfire out. Very neat idea that no Dragonfire makes it easier to summon multiple daedra. I should still think that binding them would be limited to some extent by the mage’s ability to exert their will.

Uh oh. A daedroth’s undivided attention is not a good thing to have. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 22 2017, 03:19 PM
Post #248

Mouth
Group Icon

Acadian - Depends how fond of Daedroths you are, I suppose. tongue.gif

Previously - Our two adventurers arrived in Anvil, and while Cirinwe visited her sister, Haa-Rei set out to track down some daedra. The trail led to a ruin full of conjurers, and after clearing it out Haa-Rei discovered their final ritual - the summoning of a powerful daedroth.

Chapter 75

The daedroth took one, lumbering step towards me, pausing to activate its shield spell with a heavy shrug. I wasted no time in summoning Thiazzi, the storm atronach rumbling into existence and immediately engaging the daedroth.

Lightning crackled around the room as Thiazzi unleashed a torrent of magic, but the daedroth’s advance was barely slowed. The creature made an odd gurgling sound before spitting a great gout of liquid flame which stuck to Thiazzi like oil. With this initial salvo out of the way, the two behemoths clashed in melee combat – Thiazzi’s stone limbs crashing against the daedroth’s hide while the creature replied with tooth and claw.

While they were distracted I crept around the edge of the room, giving myself a better vantage point from which to shoot. Between shielding magic and a thick, scaly hide most of my arrows glanced off the daedroth’s back and skittered harmlessly onto the stone floor. One shot managed to distract the creature long enough for Thiazzi to strike a powerful blow, breaking through the shield spell with a sound like shattering glass.

Thiazzi himself was almost finished though, with great chunks of rock being torn away by the daedroth’s impossibly powerful jaws. Eventually, with a final strike, Thiazzi crumbled and vanished back to Oblivion.

The daedroth turned, gurgling again before spitting a stream of fire in my direction. I managed to skip to one side, fire an arrow, and keep moving around the room. This continued for a while, with more and more of my arrows lodging themselves into the daedroth’s massive chest. Eventually the creature tired of this and struck me with a powerful swipe, sending me sailing through the air to land heavily in one corner. I was exhausted, bleeding, and out of arrows. I braced myself for another attack, but it never came.

Instead, the creature slowly and deliberately bowed its head. One massive hand brushed all of my arrows out of its hide, and I realized just how ineffective my attacks had been. That’s not to say I hadn’t wounded the beast, but it certainly wasn’t a close fight. I staggered to my feet, bemused.

The daedroth looked deliberately at the conjurer’s tome that had been dropped on the floor, and I carefully moved over to pick it up. The text was written mostly in plain Cyrodiilic, with the occasional daedric symbol mixed in to throw off would-be readers. The conjurer had scribbled notes and attempted translations in every available space, but hadn’t managed to get very far. The spell itself seemed quite simple, all but for a key ingredient.

If I guessed correctly, the conjurer had used an unbound summon spell to bring through an especially powerful creature, namely the daedroth, and planned to bind it for his own summoning purposes. In order to bind it, however, he needed one thing: the creature’s agreement. A daedra such as this would never agree to serve a mortal, unless that mortal could prove themselves strong enough. I wasn’t sure if I was quite that strong, what with almost dying back there, but…

“Wait…you want me to…bind you?” I asked. The daedroth nodded slowly.

I consulted the tome again. The binding spell seemed quite simple – it essentially works the same as a soul trap in that you connect the soul of another creature to yourself, but this spell is two-way and thus connects a creature to a summoner. I had just enough magicka to pull it off.

“Alright. Here we go.”

I cast the spell, reaching out towards the daedroth’s soul, and could sense it doing the same to me. I saw flashes of its memories – ancient battles, distant realms, bizarre creatures, former masters. This daedroth was very old, and I felt honoured to have it bound to me. The spell faded, and I knew immediately that it had worked – I could sense the daedroth’s feelings. It had been angry at the conjurer, but then quite happy when fighting Thiazzi. It loved to fight, and explore, and hoped that I would lead it on some interesting adventures.

“My name is Haa-Rei. What’s yours?” I asked. I was a little dizzy from fatigue, but still managed to bow in greeting.

“Xuu Gar.” The words formed in my mind, almost as if I’d had a thought. It was an odd sensation.

The binding spell had been quite draining for the both of us, so I dismissed Xuu Gar for now. I could think of many situations in which a daedroth would be handy. At that moment, however, the only situation I wanted to be in involved a bath and a bed.

I was almost out of the ruins when I heard the sound of combat outside. I was half dead and out of arrows, but I nevertheless hurried outside to see what was going on.

It seemed some daedra had been returning to the ruins, and would have caught me by surprise had they not been intercepted. The bodies of half a dozen scamps and clannfear lay scattered around the ruins, and all that remained was a heavily armoured dremora. It wielded an axe that looked almost too large to lift, and was clad in the usual spiked armour that was uncomfortable to even look at. This did little good, however, as it wasn’t wearing a helmet when the greatsword arched through the air, sending its head rolling over the pale Ayleid stones to land by my feet. The dremora’s twitching corpse collapsed to the ground, revealing Cirinwe as my saviour. Of course she followed me.

“Fancy meeting you here.” I smiled, limping over to greet her.

“What on Nirn has happened to you?” Cirinwe dropped her sword and rushed over, a healing spell already blossoming in her hand.

“Just bumped into some conjurers, had a little chat about safe summoning practices.” Her healing magic worked quickly, though I still had to lean on her to avoid collapsing. I winced at the prickling sensation of my flesh and scales knitting back together.

After a bit more healing magic the worried look on Cirinwe’s face faded into a smile.

“Well that should do it for now. Let’s get back to Anvil before you pass out though, ok?” My saviour retrieved her sword and offered her arm for me to lean on as we walked back to town.

“I thought I was supposed to be the dashing and heroic adventurer.” I grumbled jokingly.

“Don’t worry love, I’m sure there’ll be plenty more chances for heroics in the future.”

“Just as long as - wait. Hear that?” I stopped and cocked my head to one side, straining to hear. A familiar sound.

“I don’t…wait, it sounds like…” Cirinwe’s face went pale as we both recognised the sound.

“An Oblivion Gate.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 22 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #249

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Sep 22 2017, 10:19 AM) *

I could think of many situations in which a daedroth would be handy. At that moment, however, the only situation I wanted to be in involved a bath and a bed.

And now, of course, I'm thinking about what you'd do with a daedroth in your bath or bed. ohmy.gif

It had better be a huge bath or bed!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 22 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #250

Paladin
Group Icon

I love how you introduced us to Haa-Rei’s new summon! Just some wonderfully creative world building for Haa-Rei there. For a light archer to be able to call up a daedroth pal will be handy indeed!

I see that Ciri shared my concern about Haa-Rei dungeon diving solo and it is good she came after him. Quite a dramatic entrance and rescue on her part.

Uh, oh. Another Gate. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 18 2018, 01:42 AM
Post #251

Mouth
Group Icon

ghastley - tongue.gif

Acadian - Cirinwe is quickly becoming a rather talented adventurer. Maybe she'll get her own story one day. laugh.gif

Everyone - Goodness me, has it really been a whole year since I last wrote something!? I intend to finish this story over the next few weeks/months, so thank you for your patience and continued support.

Previously - Haa-Rei managed not only to disrupt the summoning ritual, but also to bind a powerful Daedroth to his service as a new summon. Wounded but victorious, Haa-Rei met with Cirinwe outside the ruins and began heading back to Anvil. Almost immediately a familiar sound echoed around the countryside - an Oblivion gate...

Chapter 76

The gate had opened by the time we returned the city. Guardsmen had already rebuffed the initial daedric force and set up a perimeter around the gate. To get a better vantage point, Cirinwe and I climbed up the stairs leading to the city walls. The gate was quite close to Anvil, clearly the daedra had been aiming for the city itself, but I was in no shape to help. Instead I sat myself down on a nearby crate and peered over the walls.

“Sit still, you’ll reopen your wounds.” Cirinwe lay a firm hand on my shoulder to keep me on my seat, while her other hand wove restoration magic over my recent injuries.

“Sorry, I’m just trying to get a good view.”

I had been impressed by the guard’s swift response, but now the situation was at a standstill. Nobody from our side was going in, and the daedra were sending out a steady stream of scamps to throw themselves at the defenders. This had the potential to keep going on for hours, if not days.

“You are absolutely not going to jump into an Oblivion gate in your current condition.” Cirinwe sensed what I was thinking, and her firm hand remained on my shoulder. She was right, of course, in that my wounds were only just healing and needed an hour or two to let the magic properly do its work.

“I know, I know. It just feels...wrong not to lend a hand.” I patted the slender hand on my shoulder and stretched my arms a little, just to check they were still working.

“I agree, which is why I’ll go and close the gate while you stay here.” Cirinwe replied casually.

“You...you’re going to what now?” I almost fell from my seat in shock.

“It’s as you said, someone should help them.”

“Yes but I meant…” I struggled to find the correct words.

“Yes?” Cirinwe folded her muscular arms over her chest while she waited for my answer.

“I don’t...I didn’t mean…” I stumbled over my words for a second before I noticed the faint smile playing across her lips. “You’re teasing me. Poor, wounded Haa-Rei being teased by the cruel Elf.” I clutched my chest in mock agony, causing Cirinwe’s smile to crack into a laugh.

“I’ll be careful, and if it looks too risky I can just jump back out of the gate. While I’m gone you can look round for Trivea’s friend, since that’s why we came here in the first place.” Cirinwe the Adventurer seemed to have it all planned out, and so I gave her a reluctant nod. I knew she could handle herself, but when the person you love is going to leap into a screaming fire portal to another dimension, you can’t help but worry.

We made our way down the steps to ground level, and parted ways just inside the town gates. A small crowd had gathered to try and catch a glimpse of the exciting action, and a couple of guards were holding them at a safe distance. Everyone parted to let Cirinwe through, and I watched as she disappeared through the crowd and out into the wilds.

My own journey led in the opposite direction, towards the docks. Often the best place to look for someone, I found a suitable looking tavern and made my way inside. An empty table in the corner provided a perfect seat from which to view the other patrons, so I dug around in my pack until I found Trivea’s note. It was unsurprisingly vague, but at least I now knew that Trivea’s friend had a name, ‘Tsarakiri’, and that they were a Khajiit.

The tavern was getting quite busy, and of course a large portion of the patrons were Khajiit sailors. Short of standing up and calling for my contact by name, I wasn’t really sure how to proceed with the search. After a short while, however, I was approached by a slender Nord woman who gestured to follow her:

“Captain Tsarakiri wants a word.” Her accent was thick, and reminded me of some of the Nords I’d met on Solstheim. I decided against asking any questions though, and simply nodded before following her out the door.

We made our way along the docks, weaving around merchant stalls and groups of sailors. I was wondering which ship belonged to the Captain, but we kept moving beyond the docks and around the rocky coast, eventually arriving at a large cave entrance. The entrance was all but hidden from the outside due to the shape and position of the rocks and cliffs, but inside was a space large enough to house a ship, with what appeared to be the remnants of a second ship acting as a house or hall of sorts. The cave was crisscrossed by wooden walkways and rope bridges, providing easy access to upper levels. I followed the Nord up several walkways to reach the ship-hall, a large set of doors had been built into the side of what was once a hull. A series of knocks announced our arrival, and the heavy doors swung open.

The interior was not something I was expecting. Rich tapestries and paintings hung on the walls, the floorboards were covered in lush carpets, and the sound of music and laughter echoed along the hallway. Perhaps my injuries were more severe than I thought and I was hallucinating.

“In here.” My guide stopped abruptly, pointing at a side door. I stepped inside, and was immediately engulfed in a cloud of incense. It smelled strangely sweet, and I quickly recognised the smell as moon sugar. The room was otherwise dark, though I could sense someone else.

“Welcome to this one’s home, Trivea’s Friend.” A smooth Khajiit voice purred out of the smoky gloom at the back of the room. My eyes slowly adjusted to the dark, and I could eventually make out the figure behind the voice.

“Captain Tsarakiri, I presume?” The Captain was dressed in a light shirt and baggy trousers, as one might see in depictions of Khajiit or Redguard travellers in the desert. Her fur was white, with black markings, and her white hair was fashioned into a long knot of dreadlocks woven with trinkets and treasures. Her yellow eyes regarded me for a few seconds before she rose to her feet and bowed politely.

“It is as you say. This one is Tsarakiri, terror of the seas, hunter of slavers, lover of women, friend to Trivea. You are Haa-Rei, adventurer, scholar, and also a hunter of slavers, if this one hears correctly.” Tsarakiri produced a slip of parchment and waved it briefly before pocketing it again. I couldn’t read it, but recognised Trivea’s writing.

“Yes. Trivea said you have a slaver problem, something to do with the port authority?” I waved my hand at a thick plume of incense, producing a smile from my host.

“Just so. The problem is that the slaver is alive, and this one needs your help to change that. It promises to be a most exciting and profitable adventure.” The Khajiit grinned and returned to her seat on a pile of large cushions, gesturing me to do the same.

I wasn’t sure what I found more terrifying: potentially joining some pirates to fight a slaver, or Cirinwe’s wrath when she discovered that I had gone off on an adventure in my recently wounded state.

“Alright. What’s the plan?”

This post has been edited by hazmick: Sep 18 2018, 01:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 18 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #252

Master
Group Icon

At least the adventure with the good Khajiit captain will keep Haa Rei’s mind off of Ciri’s own adventure in that Gate! tongue.gif Though I suspect Ciri’s wrath is the greater of the two evils . . .

That it will be an adventure is almost guaranteed, interesting, yes, but profitable? Depends on how you define profit = coming out with a trunk full of valuable junk, or coming out with life and limb intact . . . laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 18 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #253

Paladin
Group Icon

Wonderful to see my favorite odd couple – Scales and Scars – back in action again!

Hmm, circumstances conspire to keep the pair adventuring separately.

Oh, I loved that Thieves Den DLC in Oblivion – made for the perfect little ‘pirate town’.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Sep 20 2018, 01:54 AM
Post #254

Master
Group Icon

More Argonian excellence! You descriptive powers are as strong as ever, and the interplay between the characters is a delight as always.

So happy to so this story commence once again!

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 20 2018, 03:04 PM
Post #255

Councilor
Group Icon

And we have a pirate in a light shirt and baggy pants, just as ZOS release the pirate bundle for Talk Like a Pirate Day. I assume that's exactly the outfit the captain's wearing?

Of course he's going to take this just as slowly as he needs to heal properly. This is just at the planning stage, and his head's not wounded, so he can still think. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Oct 13 2018, 11:43 PM
Post #256

Mouth
Group Icon

Haute - Honestly I think the true racial ability of Altmer is to be able to kill people with a stern look. tongue.gif

Acadian - Thanks! I always thought it was a neat little area that the DLC added, and it was actually because of that DLC that Tsarakiri was first created back in the day.

treydog - Thank you! Glad to have you on board, trey.

ghastley - That's the one! Tsarakiri uses it as her casual outfit in game, it's such a great look.

Previously - Haa-Rei and Cirinwe returned to Anvil, watching from the walls as local guardsmen did battle with an Oblivion gate. Knowing that they needed help, Cirinwe went down to assist, leaving Haa-Rei to search for the mysterious contact. He soon found himself face to face with Pirate Captain Tsarakiri, who asked for his help taking down a nearby slaver...

Chapter 77

“So, to recap, we wait for nightfall so you and I can sneak aboard the slaver’s ship and...put him out of business, meanwhile your crew will remain here to fend off an impending attack by the slaver’s own crew of violent criminals.” I summarised Captain Tsarakiri’s plan and glanced at her for approval.

“Just so.” The Khajiit purred. “You have questions?”

“Well... why me? Surely another of your crew could accompany you.”

“We need an Argonian to swim aboard and silence the watch. Also, we need someone who cannot be infected by vampires.”

“You forgot to mention vampires earlier.” I sighed. This would complicate things.

“The slaver is a vampire, of course. This one cannot be turned, and Trivea assures this one that you can’t either.” The Captain shrugged, clearly not believing vampirism to be a relevant factor in the plan.

“May I ask why you’re immune?” I was fairly certain that Tsarakiri was neither a werewolf or a vampire.

“This one was almost turned once, but cured by Trivea. Been immune ever since.” It was a rather vague explanation, but it would have to do.

“Well, that’s handy. I suppose-” I left my sentence hanging in mid air as I heard familiar footsteps outside. “Ciri?”

Tsarakiri was first on her feet, and led me out of the smoky room and out into the corridor again. Ciri was waiting, accompanied by another of the Captain’s crew. The Captain moved all around Ciri, looking her up and down.

“Trivea’s note failed to mention how pretty the Elf was.” The Khajiit purred. The nearby crew member nodded in agreement.

“A pleasure to meet you.” Cirinwe greeted the Captain politely, but folded her arms over her chest sternly, causing the Captain to chuckle.

“It’s good to see you again, are you alright?” I asked. She looked none the worse for wear considering she’d just been to Oblivion and back.

“Yes, everything’s all sorted now. I must say, I wasn’t expecting...this” She gestured to the richly decorated interior.

“Fate has been kind to this one and her crew. Come, come.” Tsarakiri gestured for us to follow and headed deeper into the hideout.

The corridor led to a large set of doors, which opened into a wide, high-ceilinged room. The floor was covered in an assortment of rich rugs and carpets, while the walls were draped in all manner of expensive materials. What appeared to be the rest of Tsarakiri’s crew was gathered here, drinking and chatting amongst themselves. I noticed that more than a few of them bore scars on their wrists and necks, similar to scars I’d seen on slaves in Morrowind. The chatter stopped as we entered and the group began to gather. Clearly they’d been waiting for us.

“Alright girls, settle down and listen up.” Tsarakiri raised her voice enough to be heard throughout the room but not so much that she was shouting. “Allow this one to introduce our guests, Haa-Rei and Cirinwe.”

I received a few looks of suspicion when I was introduced, though most of the group were more interested in Cirinwe. A couple whispered amongst themselves and giggled, clearly quite taken with the Altmer visitor. Cirinwe looked a little nervous, crossing her arms again.

“They’ll be assisting us this evening. For the benefit of those that haven’t been paying attention recently, this one will go over the plan again.”

Tsarakiri left out the bit about the vampire, but added in a new piece of information. While she and I sneak aboard the slaver’s ship and deal with him, Ciri would remain here to help the crew. Tsarakiri was expecting the slaver’s men to strike soon, and wanted a skilled warrior to be here to help.

Cirinwe the Skilled Warrior looked a little surprised to hear her role in the plan, but managed to hide it well. She would definitely be an asset. Most of the crew wore simple clothing like their captain, with only a few wearing bits and pieces of leather armour. Presumably there’s not much call for heavy arms and armour on a ship. With the talk finished, the group dispersed and Tsarakiri turned to Ciri and I.

“When exactly will this be happening?” Cirinwe asked.

“As soon as our lookout tells us that the slaver’s men are on their way. Should be shortly after nightfall, so maybe an hour or two. This one is sorry to put this on you out of the blue, rest assured you will both be compensated for your assistance.” Tsarakiri gave a little bow along with the apology, and Cirinwe’s stance softened a little. “Please, help yourself to a drink with the crew while we wait.”

Cirinwe nodded and began heading towards the nearest group, but stopped and turned when she realised I wasn’t following. “You’re not coming?”

“Ah, no. I’m probably better off staying over here for now.” I could imagine why men may not be welcome on an all-female crew of people who may be former slaves. Tsarakiri nodded in agreement.

“Apologies for not mentioning earlier. Some of the girls are...not comfortable around men. No reflection on yourself of course.”

“Oh, I see.” Cirinwe realised what the captain meant and glanced at me apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it, I understand.” I felt bad for leaving Cirinwe to face the group alone, but of course my worries were unnecessary.

One of the crew, a dark-haired Breton, detached from the group and approached Cirinwe, a goblet in each hand. “Here, have a drink. It can be a bit scary to meet everyone at once. You can sit with us.” She beamed up at Cirinwe and handed her one of the goblets, gesturing to a smaller group of the crew behind her.

Cirinwe thanked the Breton and followed her over to the group, glancing over her shoulder at me. I gave her a thumbs up, prompting a little smile. The group was soon chatting away, mainly amongst themselves but directing a few questions at Ciri to prevent her from being too overwhelmed.

“Looks like she’s in good hands.” I said to myself, but immediately noticed Tsarakiri still lurking in the shadows next to me.

“The best,” The Captain smiled proudly. “She’d be more than welcome to join us after our current business is concluded.”

“I’m not sure she’s done much sailing before, but you could ask her.” I shrugged, not really sure that Cirinwe would take up the offer.

“Sing, Sing!” I few voices from the crew distracted the captain and I from our chat. Most of the group had gathered around the dark-haired Breton girl that had approached Ciri. Clearly she was something of a singer amongst the crew.

“I can’t sing if there’s no music, and Sebille can’t play what with her arm and all.” A Dunmer woman, presumably Sebille, had one arm in a sling and shrugged apologetically.

“What about the Altmer, highborn ladies always know how to play.” A particularly astute Orc nodded at Cirinwe, turning the crew’s attention on her.

“Erm...well, a little. Though I haven’t played for a few decades, and I only know Altmer songs.” Her face was flushed with colour as the group scrutinised her for any signs that she may well be a master musician.

“It’s fine if you don’t want to,” The Breton assured her, “if it helps, you can just look at me when you play. Ignore the rest of them.” She grinned, patting Cirinwe’s hand.

Cirinwe nodded, and immediately had a lute thrust into her hands. She removed her gauntlets, her slender, scarred hands familiarising themselves with the strings. She played a few experimental notes, apologising every time she made a perceived error.

“Just me and you. Play whatever you like and I’ll match a song to it.” The Breton placed her hands on Ciri’s shoulders, turning the Altmer slightly away from the group so the two were facing each other. She then took one of Ciri’s hands in her own and gave it a slight squeeze, before releasing it and taking a couple of steps back. I couldn’t help but smile to myself.

The notes were played slowly at first, a little shakily, but Ciri quickly found her rhythm. The Breton tapped her foot along to the melody for a few seconds before matching some words to it. The rest of the crew were utterly silent, their attention fixed firmly on the performance. Tsarakiri and I stood at the back, the Khajiit tapping one hand against her arm to the rhythm. It was a beautiful song, and to Ciri's credit there didn't seem to be a note out of place.

As soon as the song finished, the whole room erupted into applause and cheers. Cirinwe turned in surprise, clearly having forgotten that there was an audience. She blushed right up to the tips of her ears, but gave a little bow nonetheless. The Breton bounced over, taking Ciri’s hands and clapping them together. A small group had formed around them, all chatter and laughs. Maybe it would be good for Ciri to join them, even just for a little while.

The festivities weren’t to last though, as a breathless woman entered the room:

“Captain, they’re on the way.”

--------------------

+Quote Post
hazmick
post Oct 14 2018, 01:10 AM
Post #257

Mouth
Group Icon

The music, for those that would like a multimedia experience. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 14 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #258

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Oct 13 2018, 08:10 PM) *

The music, for those that would like a multimedia experience. happy.gif

Wait, is that Cirinwe singing? That is AWESOME !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 18 2018, 09:07 PM
Post #259

Paladin
Group Icon

A delightful episode as Haa-Rei and Cirinwe reunite after their individual successes. Only for a new separation to present itself as they plan to split forces once again.

Buffy and I were grinning during Ciri’s wonderful performance – another musical elf who blushes after performing right up to the tips of her ears. * contented sigh *

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 18 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #260

Councilor
Group Icon

This one is just glad no female cats were singing. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:43 AM