Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buffy the Bowgirl, Book 1, Thread 3, Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?
Thomas Kaira
post Dec 31 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #61

Mouth
Group Icon

Viscerally brutal fight here, I could almost see the brains and guts flying from the bodies. wacko.gif

Mazoga shield-swept away the dagger of the lunging archer. She then stepped back and, with a quick slash, opened the Dunmer's throat with such ferocity it nearly severed her head. Bright crimson spurts arced from the elf's wound as she fell.

She didn't quite cut her head off... she makes a Pez dispenser out of her.

I began calmly moving toward a firing position, formulating plans, increasing my distance and offsetting myself from Mazoga.

Ah ha! So that's how Buffy was able to react so quickly! No minor detail ever slips our watchful Paladin's eyes, indeed! biggrin.gif

The evolution of friendship between our fragile, roguish bowgirl and belligerent, bloodthirsty orc was very well played, too. Two unlikely buddies, of which a bond is born in the fire of conflict.

Great write!

This post has been edited by Thomas Kaira: Jan 3 2011, 09:53 PM

--------------------
Rarely is the question asked, is our children learning?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 3 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #62

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 62, Mazoga and Buffy encountered and killed the gang of Mogens Wind-Shifter. Buffy then learned why Mazoga had pursued the gang. Impressed, Count Leyawiin offered both ladies a knighthood if they could succeed in killing the leader of the Black Bow Bandits.

mALX- Gods' ghoulies, you're right! Buffy and Mazoga do seem to be gaining a better understanding - even appreciation - of each other, forged under fire. Thank you!

SubRosa- Thank you! Buffy and Acadian may think of themselves as somewhat independent, but the fact that Buffy heals like a paladin is one manifestation that the two spirits are quite intertwined.

I'm so glad that Buffy calling Superian to her worked for you! She now has three different variations of asking her mare to join her:
1. Long range. This is the full Call of Corsair, as taught to Buffy by King Rislav. The lock of mane helps establish a link. Pointing at the map causes a teleport. In game, Buffy simply fast travels to her current location - she doesn'r move, but is joined by the mare.
2. Visual range. She can touch the mare's spirit without assist if she can see Superian. In game, we use a command creature spell for this.
3. Close, but out of sight - as in this previous episode. Using the lock of Superian's mane opens the spiritual link between the two. Buffy then simply asks her mare to walk to her. In game, we use the console command 'moveto player' for this.

Yes, her new forest green/brown elven mail will make an appearance as soon as she gets it cleaned and resized. I have given up trying to limit Buffy's massive wardrobe. The girl is voracious when it comes to clothes and bits of light armor - all with matching foot ware of course. tongue.gif

Thanks for the nit so I could fix it!

Thomas Kaira- Thanks! The last episode showcased the violence involved in Mazoga's style of fighting. This next episode displays a stark contrast by showing Buffy in elegant action from the shadows. In the episode that follows that, we will display both styles and make it clear that Buffy hasn't the stomach for melee combat.

Buffy moving to offset herself from Mazoga to ensure a clear line of fire is typical of what she can do if given a few moments to think and plan. It's when caught fully surprised or her plan goes awry that she really stumbles. embarrased.gif

63 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 7- Perfectly Elegant Kills

I slid Slayer from my back, nocked an arrow and aimed toward the two distant pink glows. By concentrating, I pulled the area around Telepe clearly into focus. "I see the life sign of one man or mer atop the ruin, hidden by a ledge. That's a good shooting position - it must be an archer up there." I slowly continued my sweep. "There's another bandit by the campsite near the entrance. Based on his robe, I bet he's a hedge wizard. That's it, just the two." I carefully eased tension off the bow.

Mazoga squinted toward the ruin. "You can see lots farther than I can."

"Your eyes are fine," I replied. "I'm using a couple of scouting tricks."

Watching as I poisoned an arrow, she said, "I still can't see them yet. How do you think we should attack?"

"Let's take out the bandit mage by the campfire before moving closer," I said as I fitted the poisoned arrow to Slayer's bowstring. This would be a very long shot. I was pleased to note a lack of both wind and intervening high branches as I applied some tension to the bow. I again pulled the hedge wizard clearly into view. After calculating my offset, I took in a normal breath. Exhaling half, I smoothly and fully drew the bowstring to my cheek as I adjusted my final aim point well above the target and loosed the arrow. The impact was a tiny bit lower on the Breton's chest than I had hoped for, but still knocked him off his stool. He struggled to his knees before succumbing to the poison.

"How'd we do, Buffy?"

"A good kill, Sir Mazoga. I can't get a shot at the archer though. We need to move closer and draw him out. Do you see that large tree ahead?"

Mazoga's eyes followed my extended finger, then she nodded. "Yup."

"I'd like you to move up behind it, please. That hidden archer will probably take notice - in fact I'm counting on it. Use the tree or your shield if necessary to protect yourself." I poisoned another arrow as I added, "Once the bandit stands up to shoot, I'll do the rest."

"Okay, let's go," Mazoga said as she clanked and rattled toward the tree.

Offsetting to her left, I snuck closer as well. I was touched by how much she trusted my judgment, even when it meant drawing fire for me. I hoped I knew what we were doing.

Sure enough, the bandit took note of Mazoga's approach and stood, brandishing a bow. Approaching the large tree that was her destination, the orc stepped deftly behind it right before an arrow darted past her. The archer remained standing, unaware of my presence and waiting for another opportunity to shoot at Mazoga. I loosed an arrow that knocked him from atop the Ayleid ruin to the unseen ground behind. His pink glow quickly extinguished, whether from arrow, poison or the fall.

These two perfectly elegant kills gave me a familiar sensation of exhilaration and control - something I had not felt during my recent white-knuckled bloody fighting alongside Mazoga.

The orc rejoined me, then looked up at the westering sun and said, "We have plenty of time before Black Brugo shows up."

"Why don't you continue on to the bandits' camp and see if that dead wizard has anything useful," I suggested. "I'll circle around behind the ruin and check the body of the other bandit."

After salvaging a few arrows from the dead archer, I joined Mazoga at the small camp in front of Telepe. She watched as I cut my broadhead arrow from the hedge wizard, wiped it down and inspected for any damage. As I slid the arrow into my quiver, I offered, "Perhaps we should rest by the campfire for a bit and prepare for fighting inside this ruin. Did you find anything of interest here?"

Mazoga nodded as she eyed what I assessed to be the hindquarter of a small deer roasting on a spit above the bandits' campfire. She then plopped down by on a nearby wooden stool that groaned its displeasure. "I hope your horse is enjoying her day off at the stables."

Impressed that the sturdy little seat hadn't collapsed under the orc, I smiled. "Superian and I spent some time on the Green Road early this morning getting some exercise, but I don't want her anywhere near this place when Black Brugo shows up tonight."

"Yeah, that makes sense. He'd probably eat her." Mazoga then helped herself to the bandits' roasted venison. After using her tusks to tear off a large bite, she gestured at me with what remained in her hand and added, "Want some?"

I shook my head, then stripped off my boots, blouse and greaves. Placing them inside my pack, I dug around until I found my cat suit. I saw Mazoga staring. "What?" I said, holding up the black cloth outfit with its utility belt. "I want to see if this will better hide me than my normal grays, greens and browns."

Mazoga wasn't looking at the cat suit. "Kinda scrawny, aren't you?"

"Thanks a lot. Just what I need to hear." I frowned as I self-consciously wriggled into the garment. "This suit offers no armor protection, but with you here to defend me, I figure this would be the perfect time to try it inside a dungeon."

"It's ok, Buffy. Not every woman can look like me. Besides, I hear some men like skinny girls."

I cocked my head and stared at Mazoga. Was she that comfortable with who she was? If so, I sure envied her. "I don't really know what men like," I replied as I claimed the other stool by the fire. "Let's talk tactics."

"Now, remember, Sir Mazoga," I began, "I'm your scout. I can move like a shadow, see in the dark and detect life forms. Once inside Telepe, you'll need to follow my signals and, for Mara's sake, wait when I ask you to wait." I added with a cringing smile, "Please?"

She nodded her agreement, and I continued, "You've seen what I can do with my bow, so let's keep the blood off that sword of yours as long as an arrow can safely do the job. I think our best tactic is to try and snipe anyone we find inside. Maybe we can set up an ambush for when Black Brugo shows up later."

"So, what do you want me to do?" she asked.

"I'll need you to protect me so I can shoot. I can dish out plenty of damage, but I can't take it. If things start to go wrong, that's when I'll be scrambling to you for protection."

Mazoga replied, "Don't worry, little elf. You can call the shots, and I won't let anyone near you."

The orc and I then worked out numerous hand signals and procedures to work effectively together. I knew she would protect me with muscle and blade inside the Ayleid ruin of Telepe; I hoped that mystic archery and planning would help me to protect her.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 3 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #63

Ancient
Group Icon

As the title said, two elegant kills from the blond, bosmer, bravilian bowgirl. Buffy and Mazoga show excellent planning and teamwork.

She then plopped down by on a nearby wooden stool that groaned its displeasure.
That poor stool!

"It's ok, Buffy. Not every woman can look like me. Besides, I hear some men like skinny girls."
I have heard that too, except for in the chest...

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 3 2011, 05:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 3 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #64

Mouth
Group Icon

These two perfectly elegant kills gave me a familiar sensation of exhilaration and control - something I had not felt during my recent white-knuckled bloody fighting alongside Mazoga.

Take care, young one. Finding enjoyment in the deaths of others is a step down a very dark path. You showed mercy to Rufio that one day, please don't give that black-hooded deceiver another reason to materialize at your bedside.

"Thanks a lot. Just what I need to hear." I frowned as I self-consciously wriggled into the garment.

Well, you know what they say... the thinner they are the harder to hit them. If it makes you feel any better, Buffy, in the world we live in, being thin is a definite plus. Just think of the clothes you could wear! laugh.gif biggrin.gif coolgrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 4 2011, 04:59 AM
Post #65

Ancient
Group Icon

My favorite lines in the whole chapter:

"I'll need you to protect me so I can shoot. I can dish out plenty of damage, but I can't take it. If things start to go wrong, that's when I'll be scrambling to you for protection."

Mazoga replied, "Don't worry, little elf. You can call the shots, and I won't let anyone near you."

Now we're talking !!! Great Chapter, I love the interactions between the two girls !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Vyper
post Jan 4 2011, 05:03 AM
Post #66

Retainer

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 3 2011, 07:17 AM) *

Mazoga squinted toward the ruin. "You can see lots farther than I can."

"Your eyes are fine," I replied. "I'm using a couple of scouting tricks."

I like the way you describe the marksman zoom feature. It just sounds so natural.

Watching as I poisoned an arrow, she said, "I still can't see them yet. How do you think we should attack?"

"Let's take out the bandit mage by the campfire before moving closer," I said as I fitted the poisoned arrow

I like the way Buffy verbally includes Sir Mazoga in this. It makes Mazoga seem to take part in the strike, even though Buffy took care of it herself.

"I'd like you to move up behind it, please. That hidden archer will probably take notice - in fact I'm counting on it. Use the tree or your shield if necessary to protect yourself." I poisoned another arrow as I added, "Once the bandit stands up to shoot, I'll do the rest."

"Okay, let's go," Mazoga said as she clanked and rattled toward the tree.

Wonderful description of teamwork here. It describes a very high level of trust and/or recklessness on Mazoga's part while smoothly progressing through the scene.

"Thanks a lot. Just what I need to hear."

As TK said, that just makes her a harder target to hit. As a marksman herself, Buffy should appreciate that. laugh.gif

I think Buffy will be quite safe with Mazoga around.

--------------------
Five out of four people have trouble with math. If that made sense to you, you're one of them.
+Quote Post
MyCat
post Jan 4 2011, 06:01 AM
Post #67

Evoker

I hoped I knew what we were doing.
The mix of first and second person here is very effective.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 6 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #68

Paladin
Group Icon

During Episode 63, Buffy and Mazoga cleared the campsite just outside the Ayleid ruin of Telepe. They then discussed their plans and tactics to enter the ruin, clear it of any foes and lay in wait for the leader of the Black Bow Bandits, Black Brugo.

SubRosa- Thank you! My hope was to contrast the gory frantic mess at Fisherman's Rock with Buffy's more planned and calculated style. Yes, she was astounded by (and of course envious of) how comfortable/confident Mazoga is in her own skin. I hope Buffy doesn't ask me to get her a mod that gives her a pair of big, um. . . tusks like Mazoga has. laugh.gif

Thomas Kaira- Thank you for your concern about the darkness of Buffy's path. She hopes that her doctrine will help keep one foot anchored in light. The exhilaration she experienced came more from her feeling of control and elegant use of her skills (so very lacking at Fisherman's Rock), than the death of these bandits.

Buffy does indeed wrestle with a dark side though; she has been called 'cuddly like a rattlesnake' and 'lethally blond'. When it comes to men or mer - who possess free will - she has painfully learned to expect no quarter from necromancers, bandits, marauders and the like - and she does not offer any. Even her mercy to Rufio was laced with significant cruelty. She has tortured highwaymen who threatened her mare, and necromancers who carved up their victims. She harbors no regrets over her preemptive assassination of the threatening mage, Earana. She has frequently admitted the feeling of exhilaration she gets from the elegant use of her skills. She simply does not kill those whom she considers innocent - that is why she rejected the Dark Brotherhood. Although I believe Buffy is overall a 'good' character, she would never lay claim to that title. embarrased.gif

Being scrawny makes her a smaller target! Oh Thomas, Buffy could just kiss you for pointing that out to her! cmok.gif Woohoo! You made her day!

mALX- Thank you! There is indeed a part of the little elf that wants someone to protect her. I'm so glad you are enjoying the growing relationship between Buffy and Mazoga. It seems that Buffy is having some success at exerting a degree of influence over her large friend. Mazoga is learning to listen to her scout, and Buffy is learning to trust in the power and steel of her mighty orc.

The Vyper- Thank you so much for picking up on the fact that even though Buffy did the heavy lifting here, she was very careful to respectfully try and make it seem like Mazoga was truly her partner. In Buffy's eyes, Mazoga is rapidly coming to deserve the great consideration that Buffy lavishes upon those she calls friend. happy.gif

MyCat- Thank you for quoting this variation of one of our trademark lines -'I hoped I knew what we were doing.' Buffy has used the same line to describe her misgivings to Acadian when she makes a questionable decision for them. Similarly, she has said 'I hope he knows what we're doing' on more than one occasion in response to a decision from Acadian that she questions. tongue.gif

64 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 8- Black Brugo

We entered Telepe. Within moments I held up two fingers - one for each of the pink glows I saw. My hand then curled into a fist, signaling Mazoga to wait. I pulled the dark shadows around my cat suit and, with a firm grip on Slayer, cautiously advanced alone.

I crept up the first corridor to my right, which led to a chamber containing the life signs. Allowing a small amount of magical energy to briefly tease its way out to the tips of my fingers, I circled my softly glowing hand as a signal for Mazoga to join me. I was pleasantly surprised how carefully and quietly she moved up, her deadly emerald blade held low in front of her.

Ayleid glow stones in the room ahead gently bathed my target in a blue-white light. She was a dark elf archer. The bare fingers of my right hand slipped into the quiver at my back and sought the slightly shorter length of an arrow that could pierce the elf's mithril cuirass. After applying poison to the arrowhead that was both specially hardened and enchanted, I set the nock to Slayer's bowstring. The archer jerked on impact, as a puff of orange magic helped the slender arrowhead penetrate her armor. As poison darkened her Dunmeri skin, she fell.

The erratic movement of the other glow signaled that my stealth was forfeit. I backed up until bumping into the unyielding comfort of orcish armor. Sliding to the wall, I simply said, "I need you".

As soon as Mazoga rushed past me I followed. The unarmored Dunmer lunged at the orc with his dagger. I knew what was coming, but I couldn't force myself to look away. Mazoga swept the small blade aside with her shield. She then stepped back to optimize her distance and opened the Dunmer's abdomen with a single slash of her long sword. I winced, involuntarily grabbing for my own midsection. As the bandit quickly bled out on the stone floor, an image flashed into my mind of Gladius Maro - a Bravil guard - killing my friend City Swimmer with the same lethal precision.

After confirming there were no more life signs within range, I stowed Slayer and sparked a torch to life.

Mazoga wiped down and sheathed her blade. "How'd we do?"

I looked up at the mighty orc. She was indeed my protector. Perhaps it was being in the middle of so much melee combat recently that disturbed me. I still vividly remembered the carnage at Fisherman's Rock. Mustering an appreciative smile I responded, "Sir Mazoga, you were magnificent. Shall we search these bandits, then check the rest of this place before our host, Black Brugo joins us?"

We discovered that Telepe was very small. After exploring the three chambers and becoming familiar with the Ayleid ruin's simple layout, we returned to the room where we had killed the pair of dark elves. We sat and discussed some of the possibilities for ambushing Black Brugo. Then we waited.

"Buffy, how'd you learn to talk so good? You know lots of fancy words and you string 'em together real nice. You sound like you belong in that castle."

"Why thank you, Sir Mazoga," I replied as I checked the condition and tension of Slayer's bowstring. "While at the Arcane University, I read almost every book in the Mystic Archives. I'm sure that must have helped. I have found use, on occasion, for the ability to control and optimize words to suit my purpose. That is," I added with small giggle, "when my emotions don't get the better of me."

I looked at the pair of nearby corpses and my smile faded. The archer simply had a small hole in her armor from which I had easily recovered my slender-headed arrow. Her companion however, lay in a pool of blood with parts of his intestines protruding from the gaping belly wound. "Sir Mazoga, do you ever get used to the blood? I mean the way you fight is so close and. . . personal. You see the terror in your foes' eyes before they die. If an enemy gets close enough for me to see their face, usually the terror's in my eyes. When things go well for me, my enemies are just faceless targets that fall to an unseen feathered missile from the shadows."

Mazoga scratched behind her ear with a thick finger. After a moment she replied, "It's the only way I know. I can't do what you do any more than you could wield my sword." She accepted the water bag I offered, took a long pull and said, "Thanks," as handed it back to me. She then shook her head and added, "And no, you don't get used to the blood when you live or die by the sword."

The sound of voices quickly brought us both to our feet and weapons to our hands. Scanning the pink glows that had entered Telepe, I silently signaling Mazoga what my magic rings were showing me. The three figures settled into the chamber directly across from us.

We quietly moved into the entrance corridor and headed toward the exit. Once we arrived at the base of the stone steps leading up to only door out of the ruin, I signaled Mazoga to wait.

As I turned to proceed alone back toward the glowing life signs, the orc stopped me by engulfing my upper arm in her hand. She then gently pivoted me around to face her. In the dim light cast by the pink halo surrounding Mazoga, I could see concern on her face and a question in her eyes.

She allowed me to pull her head and shoulders down until I could place my mouth near her ear. I whispered, "Let's try my way. If it doesn't work, I know who to run to."

Clinging to shadows, I crept silently to the threshold of the room containing the three figures. The dim light of a glow stone embedded in the ceiling was augmented by several candles. I could see a Breton woman with a dagger at her hip and cup in her hand. She was arguing loudly with a Redguard whose drink sloshed from a metal tankard. A mace hung from his sword belt. Black Brugo was easy to spot as he used his tusks to snap the glass top off a bottle of ale. The orc had a blade like Mazoga's at his waist and he looked just as deadly.

I didn't want Mazoga in the middle of this, and was thankful that I had a plan to minimize risk to. . . my friend.

Magic flowed into my right hand. I pointed toward Black Brugo and a swirling emerald illusion leaped from my fingertips. Even before the spell struck, I was backing out of the room.

By Mara! Shouts, weapons being drawn, more shouts, steel on steel, cries of pain. The command spell, which had convinced Black Brugo to wield his blade on my behalf, was causing havoc. I quietly continued backing into the entry corridor, then melted into the shadows. The trap was set, and Mazoga now guarded the only escape.

I watched the clashing dance of pink glows on the other side of the wall until there were two. Eventually, only one remained. Black Brugo limped from the room and headed for the exit - and Mazoga.

I selected an arrow as the heavily armored green titans charged each other. Blades crashed into shields. The narrow corridor greatly constrained both orcs' ability to manuever, but also provided me a steady target.

The impact of my armor-piercing arrow in the center of Brugo's back caused his arms and head to involuntarily jerk rearward. Mazoga wasted no time exploiting the opening as she ferociously thrust into his exposed neck. Before I could nock a second arrow, the leader of the Black Bow Bandits was dead.

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

This post has been edited by Acadian: Jan 10 2011, 07:11 PM

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jan 6 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #69

Master
Group Icon

I found this story a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that I enjoy reading it very much. Normally when I play Oblivion I don't bother much with making a story for myself because my goal is to make "king coin." After reading this though I decided to actually role play and it has made the game fun and challenging in new ways. Foremost is my character's lack of money because no matter how much I want her to raid every dungeon she goes past, she thinks I am insane and passes safely by.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
Thomas Kaira
post Jan 6 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #70

Mouth
Group Icon

What can we say, Buffy has a way of showing us exactly what we all are missing if we don't roleplay, and she was a significant factor in my switch to roleplaying, as well.

Being scrawny makes her a smaller target! Oh Thomas, Buffy could just kiss you for pointing that out to her! cmok.gif Woohoo! You made her day!

It seems my charm is not lost... embarrased.gif Thanks a lot for making me blush, Buffy. smile.gif

"Buffy, how'd you learn to talk so good? You know lots of fancy words and you string 'em together real nice. You sound like you belong in that castle."

Verily, these visitations of verbiage are most incomprehensible to our belligerent companion. The edification of our protagonist once again proves its verbosity. Most...

*dull thud*

Oh, dang. I dropped my Thesaurus. wacko.gif

Mazoga swept the small blade aside with her shield. She then stepped back to optimize her distance and opened the Dunmer's abdomen with a single slash of her long sword. I winced, involuntarily grabbing for my own midsection. As the bandit quickly bled out on the stone floor, an image flashed into my mind of Gladius Maro - a Bravil guard - killing my friend City Swimmer with the same lethal precision.

Once again, fantastic imagery, and way to go with such an event bringing back certain unpleasant memories. You have a way of making us believe we are right there, next to Buffy in her many violent tussles, and this helps the story stand out from all the rest. Don't ever change. wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 7 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #71

Ancient
Group Icon

A good example of the smooth lethality of a well-working archer/swordswoman combination. It is funny I am reading this now, as yesterday I finished writing the first draft of a TF chapter that also features a very smoothly working missile/melee pair.

I like how you emphasized the emotional differences between Buffy's style of fighting and Mazoga's. Buffy is nice and neat and ladylike about her killing. Mazoga on the other hand, is quite the opposite!

and was thankful that I had a plan to minimize risk to. . . my friend.
And here we see not a shift in Buffy's thinking, but rather an admission of the relationship we have been slowly seeing created for several episodes.

My, Buffy's catsuit is quite, tight! wub.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Jan 7 2011, 01:01 AM
Post #72

Knower
Group Icon

Delightful writing!!

I was pleasantly surprised how carefully and quietly she moved up, her deadly emerald blade held low in front of her.
Reading this story over at Beth those months ago I really loved the way the chalk and cheese worked together. Buffy & Mazoga are the most delicious pair- only surpassed by Buffy & Savlain Matius, but, of course, that is another story for another time!

Buffy's observations of the hack and slash play style were a pleasure to read. Oblivion really does make it seem very deadly when compared to block and slash. In real life I tend to think that it is very exaggerated, as arrows are a very brutal method of combat. I hate to consider how many horses were impaled by arrows over the history of war. The sounds of screaming horses must have been horrible....

By Mara! Shouts, weapons being drawn, more shouts, steel on steel, cries of pain. The command spell, which had convinced Black Brugo to wield his blade on my behalf, was causing havoc.
That is our Buffy!! salute.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
The Vyper
post Jan 7 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #73

Retainer

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jan 6 2011, 07:16 AM) *

The Vyper- Thank you so much for picking up on the fact that even though Buffy did the heavy lifting here, she was very careful to respectfully try and make it seem like Mazoga was truly her partner. In Buffy's eyes, Mazoga is rapidly coming to deserve the great consideration that Buffy lavishes upon those she calls friend. happy.gif

You're welcome! biggrin.gif It just stood out so well and shows Buffy's consideration for those she deems friends, or potential friends.

We entered Telepe. Within moments I held up two fingers - one for each of the pink glows I saw. My hand then curled into a fist, signaling Mazoga to wait.

I love the use of hand signals here.

Allowing a small amount of magical energy to briefly tease its way out to the tips of my fingers, I circled my softly glowing hand as a signal for Mazoga to join me.

Very creative, using the light of a minor spell to illuminate a hand signal in darkness. A little risky, if an enemy happens to glimpse it, especially if it's another marksman.

As the bandit quickly bled out on the stone floor, an image flashed into my mind of Gladius Maro - a Bravil guard - killing my friend City Swimmer with the same lethal precision.

Flashbacks, the curse of experiencing unpleasant events. I hate it that she has to go through that. They aren't fun.

"Sir Mazoga, do you ever get used to the blood? I mean the way you fight is so close and. . . personal. You see the terror in your foes' eyes before they die. If an enemy gets close enough for me to see their face, usually the terror's in my eyes. When things go well for me, my enemies are just faceless targets that fall to an unseen feathered missile from the shadows."

A very mature question and even more mature observation on their different styles of combat. Well said, Buffy. goodjob.gif

"And no, you don't get used to the blood when you live or die by the sword."

A difficult admission for most warriors, but one worthy of a true knight. Whether Count Caro grant Mazoga Knighthood or not, she does deserve the title.

I didn't want Mazoga in the middle of this, and was thankful that I had a plan to minimize risk to. . . my friend.

And there it is! Buffy's admission to herself that she does indeed consider Mazoga a friend.

The impact of my armor-piercing arrow in the center of Brugo's back caused his arms and head to involuntarily jerk rearward. Mazoga wasted no time exploiting the opening as she ferociously thrust into his exposed neck. Before I could nock a second arrow, the leader of the Black Bow Bandits was dead.

This is something I always enjoy seeing: The coordination of partners. The coordination of this "odd couple" is exceptional.

This post has been edited by The Vyper: Jan 8 2011, 06:01 AM

--------------------
Five out of four people have trouble with math. If that made sense to you, you're one of them.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 7 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #74

Ancient
Group Icon

The dynamic duo continues to develop - great write, great chapter - but my fave is the screenie! Awesome Buffy in her cat suit !!! WOO HOO !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Jan 8 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #75

Knower
Group Icon

Puh leeze, friend, may we have more cat suited Buffy pics?? tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jan 9 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #76

Paladin
Group Icon

In Episode 64, Mazoga and Buffy cleared Telepe of its pair of interior guards. When Black Brugo and two members of his gang later showed up, our heroines were ready. They ambushed, isolated, trapped and killed the leader of the Black Bow Bandits.

This past episode marked the midpoint of Buffy's current miniseries, 'The Leyawiin Expedition'. In fact, it is also quite close to the overall midpoint of her Book 1, 'Do You Know the Way to Kvatch?'

King Coin- I'm so glad you dropped in and I appreciate you leaving us a comment! It is gratifying that our humble effort has been able to influence and hopefully enhance your game play. Take care of that character of yours, don't let her get hurt!

Thomas Kaira- I got quite the chuckle from your Rugdumphian words and how you string 'em together so good! Despite the discomfort, I'm so glad you could 'feel' Buffy clutch her own midsection as Mazoga opened up her foe. Yes, visualizing and actually walking through the movements (don't laugh) seems to help us. Thanks!

SubRosa- Thank you! Fisherman's Rock was Mazoga on display, with Buffy just scrambling to survive. Clearing the outside of Telepe was pure 'Buffy', with Mazoga simply providing decoy service. It was inside Telepe that I wanted to show the two really working together and, as you so kindly pointed out, contrast the emotional differences in their styles. Mazoga has the stomach and skill to trade metal in the face, while the fragile Buffster excels at planning an ambush and keeping her distance. Although Buffy is no leader, survival dictated that she learn how to 'lead' Mazoga. Buffy is learning that her education and empathy can be quite helpful in tactfully coaxing what she wants from others - usually in a good way (although Weebam-Na and Bejeen might disagree).

Wolf- Thank you for the wonderfully supportive words. The destinies of Buffy and Mazoga will touch at several key points that span well beyond Book 1.

The Vyper- Thank you for those very thoughtful and kind comments! Yes, as SubRosa mentioned, Buffy voiced an admission: Mazoga has gone from flirting with the back half of the Buffy Doctrine to earning the title, friend - and hopefully knight!

mALX- Thank you! I chuckled over you calling our ladies the 'dynamic duo'. I'm so glad you liked Buffy's screenie! biggrin.gif

Foxy- Thanks! As requested, here's our other picture of Buffy's cat suit. Oh, also let me point out that Buffy now posts a 'screenie of the month' in our siggy.

Now, Foxy, let's talk uniforms for a moment. The more I travel with Buffy, the more she reveals herself to be a clothes horse with a constantly rotating wardrobe. You and I would think that the prudent adventuress would simply select an effective outfit for dungeon diving and be done with it, right? Nooo. Why? Well, Buffy explains that the life of a hard working bowgirl is challenging - some of her mornings (especially if it’s a Morndas) can be downright manic. I mean she has to get up (usually from a nice dream) so early for work. And then it takes her so long just to figure out what she's gonna wear. . . . She tells me if I listen to this song perhaps I can better understand her. tongue.gif

65 The Leyawiin Expedition, Part 9- Knights of the White Stallion

"Buffy, will you accept this knighthood?"

"I will, Milord," I replied.

The voice of Marius Caro echoed throughout the throne room, "Two days ago, Black Brugo was killed, and justice was served. Today, we designate our newest members to the Court of Leyawiin." Rising to his feet, he commanded, "Guards, bring my sword."

There was a soft jingle of mail and light plate as I knelt somewhat stiffly before the balding Imperial in his black and gold finery. I was still getting used to the armor. Despite Mazoga nearly decapitating its previous owner, the elven mail had cleaned up well. Tun-Zeeus, the smith at The Dividing Line, had done a wonderful job resizing the unusual forest green and dark brown cuirass. He had separated me from enough gold that a light set of simple mail greaves now embraced my hips and legs.

"As Lord of this County, and with full authority of the Elder Council, I hereby dub you Dame Buffy, Knight Errant of the White Stallion." The tip of his sword came briefly to rest on each of my shoulders. "Arise, and be welcome in my court. Here is your Leyawiin shield, and one for Mazoga."

Standing, I accepted the two green shields - each emblazoned with the image of a white stallion. "Thank you, Milord." I then added with an expectant smile, "And Mazoga's dubbing ceremony? She is waiting in the great hall. Shall I ask her to join us?"

Lord Leyawiin looked at Countess Alessia Caro, who wrinkled her nose almost imperceptibly. I was beginning to understand. The Count directed his words to me, "Ah. . . yes. I expect Mazoga might be. . . uncomfortable here in the throne room. Dame Buffy, would you do me the honor of dubbing your friend?"

Despite the Count's gracious attempt to mask the attitude of his Countess, awkwardness laced the air. The soft hiss and gentle crackle of fire from the pair of large metal bowls that flanked the thrones provided the only relief to a room now otherwise cloaked in silence.

So Bosmer were acceptable, but Orsimer were not. I felt betrayed as I struggled to keep tears and rage hidden within. It was Mazoga who killed Black Brugo, not I. She boldly faced her foes head on, and was more of a knight than I could ever hope to become. My anger wasn't fully directed at the Count. I didn't perceive that he really shared the attitude of his Countess, and I had trouble condemning him for likely loving Alessia Caro too much. What several local Khajiit and Argonians had told me about the Countess' dislike for certain races was true enough though. How could she not see the noble beauty of Mazoga? As I tried to compose my thoughts, I considered what Acadian might say.

I met the eyes of the Countess as I finally broke the near silence and responded to Lord Leyawiin, "The mighty and noble Mazoga is my friend." I shifted my gaze to the Count and continued, "I am honored that you would entrust the important task of dubbing her to this humble knight, Milord." I then withdrew from the throne room.

I was heartened to see Sergeant Lucilious Marcus at his post in the great hall. I forced myself to cheer up, with the promise that I would indulge my growing dislike for Alessia Caro later. "Hail, Lucilious."

"Buf- I mean Dame Buffy! Congratulations on your title, as well as solving the mystery of our large green friend. I hear she's also to be knighted." Lucilious lowered his voice and continued, "The Countess objected to Mazoga's knighthood when it was time to sign the papers this morning, but I'm glad the Count decided not to listen to her and sign them anyway. He's a good man. Did I overhear that you're to perform the ceremony?"

"Yes," I replied, "my first official act as a knight. Lucilious, I will need a sword for this. Would you assist me?"

"With pleasure, Milady."

As we approached Mazoga, Lucilious smiled at her. "Dame Buffy has been granted authority to knight you."

"Dame Buffy?" Mazoga looked at me. "Gods' ghoulies! And now you're gonna make me a real knight too?"

"Yes, my friend." As I carefully placed the pair of Leyawiin shields on one of several benches spaced along the walls of the great hall, I added, "What would you like your title to be?"

"Sir Mazoga," she shot back without hesitation.

Confident that few would argue gender considerations with her, I replied, "So be it." I mustered every bit of noble demeanor I could, and raised my voice. "Will you kneel and accept this appointment to the Court of Leyawiin?"

Mazoga obediently knelt before me, bringing her eyes to a level only slightly below my own.

Lucilious drew his long sword. With a fluid motion of his wrist, he caused the weapon to arc and pivot about the silver crossguard until the blade rested in the crook of his left arm. He then placed the hilt upon his open left hand and proffered it to me.

Dazzled by the display, I wrapped both hands around the grip and awkwardly lifted the weapon. Carefully, I touched the flat of the blade to each of Mazoga's broad shoulders as I declared, "With the authority granted by his Lordship, the Count of Leywiin, I designate you a Knight Errant in the Order of the White Stallion. Henceforth, you shall be known throughout Cyrodiil as Sir Mazoga." I returned the heavy sword to its owner, as the knight rose to her full height.

Lucilious stowed the weapon with elegant fanfare, again displaying the veteran's years of intimacy with blades. "Well, I better be getting back to work. Wouldn't do for the Sergeant of the Guard to be shirking his duty." Tipping two fingers to his right eyebrow, he smiled. "Miladies." He then turned and stepped off toward his post.

I had lost track, over the past few days, of how many times Mazoga and I found ourselves silently staring at each other - but here we were once again. Her previously intimidating big yellow tusks were quite endearing now as we both grinned. Without thinking, I hugged my friend. As her arms began to engulf me, I realized the danger and squeaked, "Don't crush me, Sir Mazoga." My fear was unfounded however, as she gently pulled me to her. I felt safe. And oh yes, very small.

After a time, we reluctantly broke our embrace. "Dame Buffy, we're pals, and both real knights now. You can call me Mazoga."

"Mazoga and Buffy it is!" I replied. "I shall still call you Sir Mazoga when others are around - you earned that title." I then issued her one of the Leyawiin shields and her key to the White Stallion Lodge. "There are some things you need to know about being a knight."

We discussed the Count's bounty on black bows and that the primary purpose of the Order was to keep the county free of bandits. I could think of no one better suited to the task than Mazoga.

"Buffy, I'm gonna settle in at our new digs. Maybe then go get me some black bows. Tag along if you like."

"I'll join you later, Mazoga. I have some things to take care of in town first."

After she left the castle, I strolled over to Lucilious at his post. "Thanks. I really wanted that ceremony to be special for Sir Mazoga, and you made it so."

The Imperial graciously nodded. "Something tells me that becoming knights was much more about her than you. Oh, and I think you'll be pleased to hear this. One of the guards told me that while we were dubbing Sir Mazoga, the Count was standing right here by the entrance to the throne room, watching with a smile on his face. No sign of the Countess though. What are you plans now, Milady?"

I wasn't used to the 'milady' or 'dame' stuff, but knew it would be futile to try and dissuade this professional soldier from his protocol. I fiddled with the unfamiliar buckles on my armor as I thought. Trying to clear naked images of Alessia Caro from my head, I wanted to choose my words to Lucilious carefully. His kindness would not prevent him from arresting me if he became aware of my plans. Conspiracy to 'assault' the Countess on behalf of Sanguine was a crime, but one that was becoming more appealing.

Eventually, I responded to Lucilious. "Well, I shall remain here in Leyawiin for a time, trying to understand courtly ways. I'm sure I will also help Sir Mazoga get settled at the Lodge. Eventually though, I must return to Kvatch. I-"

"Kvatch?" Lucilious' eyes ignited as he interrupted me. "That's my home! What news do you have of the Daedra invasion up there? Is Captain Matius holding things together?"

"Kvatch seems heavily damaged," I replied. "We can't really tell though because a fiery Oblivion Gate still blocks the entrance to the city. The survivors that made it out have set up a makeshift camp. We're trying to figure out how to close that gate and retake the city. Savlian is maintaining a barricade defense for now, but his small force grows weary."

I blinked several times and tried to keep my chin from quivering as I continued, "I-I'm trying to get more help, since the Empire seems reluctant to send additional soldiers. Savlian has made the request several times but, with no Emperor, I gather the Legion is overcommitted trying to hold the provinces together. At least that's what a Legion rider named Falcedon Laenius told me. He patrols between Skingrad and Anvil."

Lucilious nodded sadly. "Falcedon spoke the truth. There are skirmishes along the Skyrim border, and several of the provinces are openly threatening rebellion. The Legion is spread thinly all right."

"When I next return to the Arcane University," I said, "I intend to ask the Council of Mages for assistance. I'm also working hard to improve my own fighting skills so I may be of more help myself."

"Here, Milady." Lucilious handed me a small, soft cloth so I could dab the tears threatening to escape my eyes. He then continued passionately, "I came here from mounted patrol duty myself. Usually, assignment to a city guard force is a welcome break from the rigors of normal Legion life. Right now though, I'd give my left- well, I'd give anything for a set of orders to Kvatch." He sighed heavily. "I know I have to go where the Legion sends me. The Count of Leyawiin is a good boss and all, but still. . . I just wish I could help defend my home town."

"Thank you, Lucilious. I have some ideas I'm working on."

* From Buffy's scrapbook: Screenshot

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jan 9 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #77

Ancient
Group Icon

GAAAAAH!!!! Buffy has a CAPE !!! I want details, and I want them NOW !!!! I love it !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jan 9 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #78

Mouth
Group Icon

Wowza! 'Sir' Mazoga and Dame Buffy, protecting the world from bandits. Buffy sure does look the part of a superhero with that fabulous cape! Some brilliant chapters building their friendship and discovering more about the countess. Why, just last week Haa-Rei was taking a stroll through castle Leyawiin and 'borrowed' some very nice books and jewellery from the countess--such a kind woman, especially to beast races. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'm very eager to see the countess get her comeuppance from Sanguine and Lady Buffy. tongue.gif

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jan 9 2011, 09:05 PM
Post #79

Ancient
Group Icon

I have always thought that Buffy a swell dame, now I see it is official! biggrin.gif

I think you started this scene in just the right place. There was no sense in bogging things down with the mundane details of the trek back to the Leyawiin, or the time that obviously went by between the two dame's reports, and the actual ceremony. I bring it up because Grits recently mentioned the question of what to gloss over, and what to spend time writing on. So it is in the front of my mind, so to speak. You give an excellent example here of what matters, and what does not.

He had separated me from enough gold
This is a wonderful phrase! Buffy's new armor makes her look the part of a knight. One might even liken her to a Caped Crusader. wink.gif

I didn't perceive that he really shared the attitude of his Countess
I wonder how she would feel if she learned that the Count has the key to the secret torture room where Argonian prisoners are worked over? Compared to him, the Countess is a lightweight.

Mazoga obediently knelt before me, bringing her eyes to a level only slightly below my own.
This is such a delightful way to contrasting the comparative size differences between the two chicas.

Some good pieces of plotting with the mention of the fighting in other provinces, and threats of rebellion. Those are things I have to address in the TF, once a little more time has passed there.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jan 9 2011, 09:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Jan 10 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #80

Knower
Group Icon

Caped Crusader, eh? Google "Garfield Caped Avenger" and see what you get... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 05:46 AM