8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Khajiit Hearthfire, Possible mod
ghastley
post Sep 13 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #41

Councilor
Group Icon

Jo'Bashi has been busy clearing bandit dungeons around most of Skyrim. Every time I find a problem with the quest, he has to start again, as most things I need to change are baked into the save game. So he's cleared Faldar's Tooth twice, Orotheim twice, White River Watch once, Stoney Creek Cave once, Robbers' Gorge, Uttering Hills, Bilegulch Mine, and probably more that we've forgotten.

He's built at least four wagons, and mined a lot of ores, too.

He still has a couple of dots to connect...

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 13 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 13 2015, 04:54 PM) *

Jo'Bashi has been busy clearing bandit dungeons around most of Skyrim. Every time I find a problem with the quest, he has to start again, as most things I need to change are baked into the save game. So he's cleared Faldar's Tooth twice, Orotheim twice, White River Watch once, Stoney Creek Cave once, Robbers' Gorge, Uttering Hills, Bilegulch Mine, and probably more that we've forgotten.

He's built at least four wagons, and mined a lot of ores, too.

He still has a couple of dots to connect...

Aw, his harness is missing, but what a nice looking horse!

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 13 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

All he has to do is tell Dot to baaaack up, eaaaasy . . .!

Love hearing about the progress you're making!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 14 2015, 12:47 AM
Post #44

Councilor
Group Icon

Very exciting to hear the progress and see the wagon with horse almost in the right place! I love the horse's look. That’s a lot of bandit camps, wow. Jo’Bashi is a good sport.

The hired thugs from the Cyrodiil Wainwrights Guild is a great touch. I missed that before. And it will be neat to have some partially built wagons around once the player is on the road. Your wagons look cool with their underparts showing. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 14 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #45

Councilor
Group Icon

I downloaded Dragonkiller Cart to check out, as it appeared to contain all the pieces I needed. Of course, it has way too many features, so now I need to figure out what's essential. Most of the extra stuff is related to camping equipment (taken to extremes, as you can create a smithy or alchemy lab on the road). I won't be doing that, as the Wainwright's house can provide the base station needs.

Activating the wagon should let you get on or off the driver's seat, harness or release the horse, and open the wagon as a container (cargo), but what else?

Dragonkiller Cart has a "Battle" option as well, which appears to be a combo of get off and release the horse as one fast choice. It also has multiple containers, partly because some of them relate to the extra features (tent and other equipment, especially). I'm not sure I need more than one.

If the player sleeps in the wagon, then I need a sleep option. Get off option should work whether the player is in the back, or on the driver's seat, so that only adds one. I'd like it all to fit on one menu, if possible. Showing only available options will keep it simple. I.e. harness / release won't both be there, and get on + sleep will swap with get off + combat.

Sleeping on the wagon avoids the need for a tent, with its attendant problems of finding level ground, enough space, orientation etc.

Since the player can separate from horse and wagon, and the horse can die leaving the wagon stranded, I need a method to locate each of them. Does anyone know a mod that does that for horses?

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 14 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #46

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 14 2015, 09:04 AM) *

I downloaded Dragonkiller Cart to check out, as it appeared to contain all the pieces I needed. Of course, it has way too many features, so now I need to figure out what's essential. Most of the extra stuff is related to camping equipment (taken to extremes, as you can create a smithy or alchemy lab on the road). I won't be doing that, as the Wainwright's house can provide the base station needs.

Activating the wagon should let you get on or off the driver's seat, harness or release the horse, and open the wagon as a container (cargo), but what else?

Dragonkiller Cart has a "Battle" option as well, which appears to be a combo of get off and release the horse as one fast choice. It also has multiple containers, partly because some of them relate to the extra features (tent and other equipment, especially). I'm not sure I need more than one.

If the player sleeps in the wagon, then I need a sleep option. Get off option should work whether the player is in the back, or on the driver's seat, so that only adds one. I'd like it all to fit on one menu, if possible. Showing only available options will keep it simple. I.e. harness / release won't both be there, and get on + sleep will swap with get off + combat.

Sleeping on the wagon avoids the need for a tent, with its attendant problems of finding level ground, enough space, orientation etc.

Since the player can separate from horse and wagon, and the horse can die leaving the wagon stranded, I need a method to locate each of them. Does anyone know a mod that does that for horses?

I remember seeing this mod before, and liking the idea, though I found the camping equipment a bit of overkill. It's good for an all around character that levels up all skills, but for RP purposes it's a bit awkward. For example, both of my Skyrim toons are not interested in enchanting - so there is no need for the enchanting table. Alise has some Alchemy skills, but she is more interested in making potions for sale than she is in using them herself. Alise is a skilled smith who is happy at the anvil creating new items, but Halle is not at all interested in that. Halle's idea of cooking is charring whatever raw meat she has in her pack for dinner, Alise enjoys making all the recipes, especially the stews. Halle is closer to a hunter archetype, in that she likes to walk all over Skyrim and explore the back country. In fact, I found quite a few new places with her that Alise never discovered.

The reason I never downloaded Dragonkiller Cart is because it was just too much. I am much more interested in a simpler mod that lets me use other simple mods with it. Currently I'm using Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger with Hunterborn, and that pretty much covers all my camping needs. Northern Ranger isn't quite as immersive as Camping or Frostfall, but I really like the dark fire option, as well as the fact that the kits pretty much contain everything you need to set up camp. The one kit even contains a barrel that can hold extra items without adding to the player's encumbrance. I like to RP that this is like Oblivion's Bag of Holding. biggrin.gif Hunterborn is giving me new ideas for RP, and I think it would work quite well with your Khajiit cart mod if you keep it simple enough. Hunterborn lets my PC live off the land, literally.

I rather like the idea of sleeping in the wagon being included with your mod, as it allows my character to decide between that or pitching camp if she has one of the camping mods included.

Since I am off from work today, I will take some time and search the Nexus for a Skyrim version of "Dude, where's my Horse?" from Oblivion. I'll be back if I find anything!

*EDIT* Silly me, I forgot that Convenient Horses and Convenient Horse Herding are part of my default loadout. CH uses the Horse Call feature, which gives the PC a horn that can pretty much summon the mount from anywhere. It's useful if you end up miles away from where you left your horse and don't feel like footslogging all the way back (Bleak Falls Barrow, anyone?). A similar feature might be useful for your mod - have a flute be found beneath the floorboards of the ruined house - will it call a horse you buy or a horse owned by the previous owner?

CHH on the other hand has a feature where you can set up a horse camp anywhere. It uses a banner to create a "home" marker for the horses to return to. You can use a similar script for the cart so the horse always comes back after a dragon attack.

I'll keep looking for other candidates.

*EDIT 2* This looks interesting - I've never used it, but it looks to be just commands for the horses - kuertee's Horse Commands.

This post has been edited by haute ecole rider: Sep 14 2015, 05:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 14 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

Those horse-calling features are rather the opposite of what I'm looking for. The Dragonkiller Cart mod gives you a power to summon your cart from wherever you left it, but I'd rather leave a marker on the map and make the player go fetch it. Ditto for the horse, so I'd use two different icons, or arrow colours. If your horse dies, the wagon marker should drop automatically, so you can come back with another.

Being compatible with camping mods will be a plus, so I don't want to duplicate their features. It's enough to allow the kit to be carried on the cart, so the cargo container should suffice.

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 14 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

Then take a look at the Convenient Horse Herding mod - it adds a marker to the horse camp that allows all horses to return to it.

If you just want to know where the horse and the cart are (assuming they've separated, such as after combat), then maybe there is something in the depths of the CHH mod that you can use?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 15 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 14 2015, 10:04 AM) *

I have had the Dragonkiller Cart since last year, LOVE it! It has a lot of items I've used in my own personal game mods too, really great mod!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 21 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #50

Councilor
Group Icon

The problem I've had with Dragonkiller Cart is that there's too much stuff to strip away before I can understand how the wagon part works. I spent a lot of the weekend asking myself "why did they do it this way?" and not getting any answers. There's a lot of code duplicated in multiple scripts, and global variables that look like they should been properties instead. Not to mention a few cases of "do something, then disable and re-enable the target and do it again" that look like empirical coding - i.e. they don't why it worked that way, but it did.

So I had to put down the mod and do something else for a while. Like actually play the game. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 21 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #51

Master
Group Icon

I'm so sorry that mod was giving you so much trouble. Yes, by all means, go play the game. Sometimes just stepping away from a problem allows your subconscious to percolate on it and bubble a solution to the surface. I've been there, done that; I'm sure everyone else, yourself included, has experienced this before.

So as disappointed as I am, I'll keep an eye on this thread for the future.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 22 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #52

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 21 2015, 10:42 AM) *

So I had to put down the mod and do something else for a while. Like actually play the game. biggrin.gif

Be careful, your next character might want a flyable, BYOAirship!! ohmy.gif

Sorry, I don’t know of a horse-finder mod. I found a mod request for one, but no answers. I think I saw that the Gypsy Caravan mod drops a map marker when you set up camp? But no horse help that I remember in that mod. Of course if your horse died you would just need to be able to find the wagon when you came back with another one, and there are vanilla ways to determine if your horse is still alive. Would Fast Traveling to the wagon marker tell you if the horse was dead or had just run off?

Oh, I think there are follower mods that have a Where-Are-You quest for when the follower is doing their own thing. Alyssa might have one. Maybe it’s a spell or power, but if memory serves it puts a marker on the follower as if they are a quest object.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 22 2015, 03:25 PM
Post #53

Paladin
Group Icon

I think both Sofia and Inigo have convenient quest markers. If I recall they have a 'locator quest' - whenever you have that quest active, it puts a marker on the map of their location. Not sure how much help that is for finding a missing caravan horse though.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 22 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Sep 22 2015, 07:54 AM) *

Be careful, your next character might want a flyable, BYOAirship!! ohmy.gif

Sorry, I don’t know of a horse-finder mod. I found a mod request for one, but no answers. I think I saw that the Gypsy Caravan mod drops a map marker when you set up camp? But no horse help that I remember in that mod. Of course if your horse died you would just need to be able to find the wagon when you came back with another one, and there are vanilla ways to determine if your horse is still alive. Would Fast Traveling to the wagon marker tell you if the horse was dead or had just run off?

Oh, I think there are follower mods that have a Where-Are-You quest for when the follower is doing their own thing. Alyssa might have one. Maybe it’s a spell or power, but if memory serves it puts a marker on the follower as if they are a quest object.

I'm trying out Jaxonz Map Markers. It's a mod where you can place a map marker on your horse, your follower, your pet, whatever. It's got a maximum number of such markers. Might be worth taking a look.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 22 2015, 04:33 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

The problem I've had with Dragonkiller Cart is that there's too much stuff to strip away before I can understand how the wagon part works. I spent a lot of the weekend asking myself "why did they do it this way?" and not getting any answers. There's a lot of code duplicated in multiple scripts, and global variables that look like they should been properties instead. Not to mention a few cases of "do something, then disable and re-enable the target and do it again" that look like empirical coding - i.e. they don't why it worked that way, but it did.

Yes, you have to have time to play, and sometimes taking a break from something can give you a fresher perspective when you return.

How odd that the Dragonkiller Cart was so heavily scripted and with duplicated codes - makes me wonder if whenever something didn't work they tried again and again till it did, but never removed the erroneous tries or something.

Maybe instead of deconstructing their scripts; try to start from scratch making your own that create the same result (or the one you are trying to achieve). I have been really lost in Papyrus, even with Atom to read them I can't figure out how to write them in Skyrim like I could in Oblivion.

Oblivion had a Mage's Tower that had a table that would jump if jostled/bumped - the "On Activate" was written right into the Nif itself; I saw it in Nifskope and tried to copy it onto a combat dummy to make it jump when struck with a weapon - but in Skyrim, and the Nifs are done differently in Skyrim.

So my mod came to a standstill while I tried to figure it out; then between that issue and the Navmesh I got burned out and shelved my mod. Urk. Now I'm just playing, lol.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 26 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #56

Councilor
Group Icon

I think I still have some work to do.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 26 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #57

Paladin
Group Icon

I guess that depends on whether you want the Argonian to drive the carriage or be hitched up to pull it. laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 26 2015, 10:33 PM
Post #58

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Sep 26 2015, 04:59 PM) *

Looks like he is getting the cart before the horse, (as the saying goes), laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 28 2015, 03:18 AM
Post #59

Councilor
Group Icon

The picture of Jo'Bashi wasn't actually far from what was intended. If you push the Panic! button when you're on the cart, the horse is moved safely behind it, and the player in front to face the enemy. It's just that he was stuck in his driving pose, and still at that height. Now it's fixed, and he moves to a standing position.

The cart is buildable, drivable, you can store things in it, but I haven't got the sleep option working yet. According to the CK wiki, there's no known way to do that. kvright.gif

I still have to detect the completion of the wagon, and close off the Wronged Wright quest. I should add the canopy option, and put the bedroll in the back, before release, too. And there's a glitch where the horse starts off on its own when you get off the wagon. I think its AI is turned on too soon.

I made quite a few changes from the way things are done in Dragonkiller Cart. There's only the one menu, and the options depend on the current state. Initially you can only sleep in the cart (in theory) or store something in it. When you have a horse, and it's close enough, the "hitch" option is added. Hitching the horse removes the sleep option, and adds "get on", and "unhitch". You can still access the cargo when you're on the wagon, but you can't unhitch until you get off. You have the choice of "get off" which leaves the horse hitched, or "Panic!" which detaches both driver and horse, so you're ready to fight.

A decent amount of progress, and I should have something to try soon.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 28 2015, 03:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Sep 28 2015, 04:54 PM
Post #60

Master
Group Icon

Sounds awesome, ghastley! I am in the midst of rebuilding my mod load order, so may be ready to start a Khajiit character and try out this mod! Keep us posted!

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:36 PM