A little [ 21 ] ** [25.93%]
Total Votes: 81
Guests cannot vote 
Pseron Wyrd
post Jul 14 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #61

Finder
Group Icon

I sometimes get the impression that many gamers think "bizarre" is the same thing as "creative."

I like mushroom houses and Kagouti, but at the same time I don't think the off-beat environment of Morrowind was better than Oblivion or Skyrim because of it. I think the worlds of Cyrodiil and Skyrim are more artistically coherent.

::Edit: Now that I think about it, what I dislike most about Morrowind's world are the jarring, WoW-style, color-coded "zones." They slap up against each other with abrupt transitions that I find disorienting and which remind me (to steal SubRosa's phrase) that I'm playing a game. There are spots where a single step takes us from lush, green Ascadian Isles into the barren, ash-storm-ravages wastes of Molag Amur.

When my characters travel on foot or on horseback from snowy Jerrol mountains down past Lake Rumare and on to the swamps near Leyawiin I am easily able to maintain the illusion that my character is traveling through a 3D representation of a real world. I do not have that feeling in Morrowind. To me, the landscape of Vvardenfell does not feel logical.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Jul 14 2013, 10:23 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 16 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #62

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Jul 14 2013, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Jul 11 2013, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Kazaera @ Jul 11 2013, 06:00 PM) *

I have actually still *only* played Morrowind tongue.gif

I keep meaning to look into Skyrim/Oblivion, but I don't have a computer with the necessary power (...hell, I no longer have a computer capable of running Morrowind, it's kind of sad) and neither of them really have the same pull for me. The thing is that what I really fell in love with in Morrowind is the world - and the idea of playing a TES game without silt striders, guar, mushroom towers, houses built out of giant crab shells, the Ashlands, etc. etc. etc. is just... it's not the same. sad.gif Needless to say, certain things that apparently happened to Vvardenfell pre-Skyrim make that game even LESS appealing (in that my strategy for dealing with those facts is LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU and playing Skyrim, where it's happened in-game, makes that harder)

Oblivion and Skyrim are great but I felt that OB was too shallow and generic for me to enjoy. As much as I didn't want to admit it, Skyrim is a step in the right direction when it comes to world interaction and such.

I just wish they'd get a little more creative with their bestiary and landscapes like they did with Morrowind.

To be honest, I did not like the bestiary in Morrowind at all. The creatures all looked like they were thrown together at random, without any thought given to how they would survive in a real world, or what roles they would play in a real ecosystem. I get the impression that the art department just sat down one day and knocked out them all over lunch, spending just a few minutes on each one and throwing out ideas like "Give this one a proboscis, give this one about spindly legs, I know a pack animal with two legs and a mouth that takes up over half its today body!" They are one of the major reasons the setting seemed fake to me, and made it impossible for me to roleplay in Morrowind. Give me the generic, real life critters like wolves, bears, deer, rabbits, and so forth any day. They make it a lot easier for me to forget I am playing a game, and instead believe I am playing a real person in a real world.

I suppose we'll just have to disagree. I don't want generic. I want to explore the world and learn about the creatures that live in the world.

I don't want to just walk up and see a rabbit because I know exactly what they are and what they do. The moment I see a wolf I know that it is dangerous and how it will behave. If I see a scrib, netch, or guar, I have no idea what the hell it is. I don't know if it is dangerous or harmless.

If I wanted to play a game about real life I'd just go outside and look for animals and socialize with other people instead of sitting on my computer or Xbox. Fantasy should be fantasy. It is part of what keeps the genre fresh.

Also, if you look at fossils or even living creatures from our own planet, it'll be obvious that not every animal's body needs to make sense for it to exist. Biology just happens.

http://divaboo.info/

As far as the world goes, yes Morrowind's transition between regions are pretty abrupt but that was another time in world creation and back then it was one of the largest and most detailed open world games in existence. I have trouble playing Morrowind now because of the dated graphics and the fact that I pretty much conquered every single possible aspect of it (excluding mods) but I still liked the world because it was so different from anything I'd ever played. Skryim is great IMO because it is varied and the devs really seemed to take a step towards some of the things that players have been wanting for a long time.

Oblivion on the other hand was just....eeeewwwww. Every single aspect of vanilla OB was extremely generic and bland IMO.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 16 2013, 11:32 AM
Post #63

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Oblivion is maybe a different kind of fantasy I guess, compared to Morrowind. It still has magic though and strange creatures such as Billies, will-o-the-wisps, trolls, ogres etc. It has just a more "normal" setting which fits me much better smile.gif

Like we say, to each his own! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mirocu: Jul 16 2013, 11:33 AM

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Pseron Wyrd
post Jul 16 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #64

Finder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Jul 16 2013, 01:30 AM) *

I suppose we'll just have to disagree. I don't want generic. Every single aspect of vanilla OB was extremely generic and bland IMO.

I don't accept this term "generic." As a way of communicating in English, the word "generic" is meaningless, as far as I'm concerned. It jas been my experience that the word "generic" is used by gamers as an all-purpose, one-size-fits-all insult, usually when the poster has no substantial argument to make and directed at anything that person does not personally approve of. It is in my list of vapid buzzwords like "dumbed down," "cookie cutter" and "casual:" words that make me stop reading posts on the Bethesda forums.

So it's probably better if I do not post in this thread anymore.

This post has been edited by Pseron Wyrd: Jul 16 2013, 11:30 PM
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 17 2013, 01:04 AM
Post #65

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pseron Wyrd @ Jul 16 2013, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Kiln @ Jul 16 2013, 01:30 AM) *

I suppose we'll just have to disagree. I don't want generic. Every single aspect of vanilla OB was extremely generic and bland IMO.

I don't accept this term "generic." As a way of communicating in English, the word "generic" is meaningless, as far as I'm concerned. It jas been my experience that the word "generic" is used by gamers as an all-purpose, one-size-fits-all insult, usually when the poster has no substantial argument to make and directed at anything that person does not personally approve of. It is in my list of vapid buzzwords like "dumbed down," "cookie cutter" and "casual:" words that make me stop reading posts on the Bethesda forums.

So it's probably better if I do not post in this thread anymore.

You can disagree without getting upset. Me calling OB generic shouldn't upset you because it is an opinion. I could critique the game to a much greater extent but I've already been there and done that. For me it is the absolute least of the last three ES games.

I use the term generic when something becomes too plain or too alike other similar fantasy settings. Oblivion was the ES equivalent of LoTR, in my opinion. There was too little to separate the game world from other fantasy worlds where everything is castles and forest. Most caves and dungeons were extremely similar in layout and design. Almost every creature was pulled directly from real life mythology. It lacked creativity, which is and will continue to be my major complaint with it.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
ImperialSnob
post Jul 17 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #66

Master
Group Icon

As much as I do love OB,it's really generic at times.

Read:At times.

Also every TES' games combat as been horrible without mods.

We have to be a critic to everything,even those things we love.
+Quote Post
Colonel Mustard
post Jul 29 2013, 06:32 AM
Post #67

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ImperialSnob @ Jul 17 2013, 09:34 PM) *
We have to be a critic to everything,even those things we love.

QFT. For so much delicious, juicy truth.

For me, Morrowind is a flawed diamond. It gets a lot of stuff right, in my opinion; the Middle-Eastern inspired aesthetic is unique and interesting, the story is a refreshing twist on 'The Chosen One' and is helped along by a well-developed and sometimes even sympathetic villain, the music and sound effects are pitch-perfect and the atmosphere is so thick and potent that you can use it to smother a small child.

The problem for me with Morrowind, is that while it's a beautiful game, it plays like a gigantic, steaming pile of guar turds. The combat doesn't work, I can never work out the stealth, the magic is OK but is ludicrously easy to break and the menu, while not as awful as Skyrim's by-crab-people-for-crab-people vanilla UI, is still pretty bad. Also, 'The Morrowind Swagger' default walk animation is faintly ridiculous to see.

Overall, I can play Morrowind in bursts. Generally, I can traipse around Vvardenfel for a few days at a time, soaking up the atmosphere before I eventually get sick of just how mechanically bad the game is and go and play something else.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:10 PM