Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Buffy - Book 2, The Cloud Dancers of Valenwood
Acadian
post Jun 24 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Book 2 and the continuing adventures of Buffy the Bosmeri mystic archer!

Buffy is a child of Tamriel, raised in Bravil and trained at the Arcane University. Her bigger story arc will eventually and magically cross temporal boundaries, enabling her to travel between the Third and Fourth Eras. Although Book 2 takes place in late Third Era Valenwood, Buffy's magicks and abilities reflect a blend of several games, with Skyrim being the most influential.

Near the end of Book 1, Buffy helped the man she loved, Savlian Matius, free his city of Kvatch. They were successful, but the terrible cost included Savlian's very life. It was a physically and emotionally broken bowgirl who retreated in grief and despair to her ancestral homeland. Book 2 picks up shortly thereafter and chronicles Buffy's journey of recovery and self-discovery through Valenwood.

Book 1 (in both its staggering 176 episode entirety and an executive summary conveniently distilled to 1650 words) is available in my sub forum. That said, enjoying Book 2 does not really require more information than is contained right here in these few introductory paragraphs. For those not familiar with Buffy's long history, reading the executive summary is a nice overview - but not critical for those who wish to just jump right in here. I have taken care within Book 2 to have Buffy review significant aspects of her past as they become relevant.

The Valenwood we depict will certainly be recognizable to those familiar with its lore, but I have taken some geographic and cultural liberties. While forests and jungles are plentiful, we have extended the rolling prairies of Anvil's Gold Coast across the Strid River into the northern portion of Valenwood. Among our several cultural departures from Bosmeri lore, the most significant is that there is no Green Pact in Buffy Fiction. While Bosmer certainly revere nature, they gratefully use both its flora and fauna as needed - restricted primarily by a deep revulsion to wasting nature's precious gifts. This is the same philosophy that Buffy learned as a child from her archery master, Daenlin, as described in Book 1.

Buffy's is a character-driven tale and our focus is on the journey more than the destination. I estimate that, at one episode per week, the book will take roughly six months to post. My fervent hope is that you find our humbly-offered efforts worthy of your time.

~ Prelude ~

Episode 1

Spooked by small tremors beneath his hoofs, a young buck bolted from the moonlit meadow into the surrounding forest.

The ground’s slight quivering soon grew into a quiet rumble from deep beneath its surface. Despite the significant disturbance, it was but a tiny seedling that gently pushed aside the soil until it could unfurl into the night air. Once free, it quickly grew into a young sapling of about the same height as a person. A pair of opposing branches reached out to become arms. The trunk transformed into a feminine torso with two legs. Roots broke free from soil taking the shape of feet. Leaves grew into robes.

The resultant woman slipped her hood back upon slender shoulders, revealing olive skin and a softly featured face. Hair, the color of the loam from which she had risen, was gathered into a rather matronly low ponytail that trailed down her back. Eyes, dark as those of a doe, radiated love and compassion. She lifted her gaze and slowly rose toward the stars.

High enough in the same night sky to nearly touch Masser and Secunda there floated another robed figure. Her coloring was pale. The strong Nordic face was framed by a mane of freely flowing golden hair. Eyes the color of a bright afternoon sky carried wildness and a trace of sadness. She spread her robes into white wings and gently glided downward.

The Nirn Mother and Sky Goddess met atop a cloud and briefly embraced.

With a downward glance from Mara, a table along with three chairs grew from the cloud’s surface. “Will you do the honors, sister?”

Kynareth passed a hand over the table, causing an elegant tea service for three to appear. She looked to the east. “Do I see the slightest hint of light from the horizon?”

“I believe so,” replied Mara.

The two Divines waited quietly as they stood side-by-side, focusing their gaze eastward toward the promise of a new day.

When the grip of night could no longer restrain the sun and the earliest golden beams began to spill across the sky, a butterfly danced up over the edge of the cloud that served as tea platform. On pale green wings the tiny creature fluttered to a hover in front of the Divines.

If there was any warning or display of spellcasting, the blink of an eye would have missed it as the butterfly simply and instantly transformed into a third robed woman.

“Welcome, cousin,” said Mara.

The new arrival slipped back her hood, glanced down at the cloud vapors swirling around her feet then surveyed the scene. Unlike the white robes worn by Mara and Kynareth, the Goddess of Twilight’s robe was black, as was her severely restrained long silken hair. Emerald eyes conveyed the enigmatic blend of light and darkness that was her realm. Voluptuous ruby lips contrasted with her sharply angled cheekbones, gaunt face and creamily pale skin. Her exotic look was complemented by human-sized ears that each rose to a delicate point. “Mara, so nice to see you again. You also, Kyne. . . or is it Kynareth I understand you’re calling yourself these days?” Azura’s smile did not reach her eyes.

The two Divines, however, smiled graciously. “I am called Kynareth now. Thank you for coming. Tea?”

The three immortals sat. As Mara filled their cups, Kynareth asked, “I trust all is well in Moonshadow?”

“I believe you both know I can only leave it briefly twice a day during twilight. I presume you did not ask me here for tea and small talk?”

If the Divines took slight it did not show as Mara replied, “You are right of course, so I’ll get directly to the point. We need your help to foil Mehrunes Dagon’s pending plans of conquest.”

Azura lifted an eyebrow. “Go on.”

Mara took a deep breath. “I’m sure you realize that Dagon is only pausing after Kvatch. Now that he knows he can open portals from the Deadlands, he is doubtless engaged in the slow task of procuring and inscribing many more morpholiths into sigil stones. Meanwhile, his cultists relentlessly hunt for Martin Septim, hoping to snuff out any chance of relighting the protective Dragonfires. When Dagon has completed enough of the stones, we are sure he will unleash scores of his Daedra-spewing portals. . . no offence, mind you.”

“None taken, cousin,” Azura replied icily, “but why should I care about any of this?”

“Two reasons,” said Mara. “As Dagon opens more portals, his plague will spread across all of Tamriel, replacing your cycles of dawn and dusk with a permanent Oblivion sky.”

“Well, I concede you have a point.” Azura straightened slightly in her chair. “You mentioned a second reason that I should be concerned?”

“Yes,” stated Mara, “that brings us to an elf named Buffy who carries something we need.”

Azura’s eyes flashed concern, then anger. “What does my Slayer have to do with this?” Her tone was threateningly protective. “You Divines claim to care about mortals, yet you ignore their daily plight.” Emerald eyes glared at Kynareth with contempt. “As soon as Buffy’s mother, Marian, realized a new life grew within her, she asked you to be godmother to her child. And you ignored her.” Azura’s ire shifted to Mara as she continued. “Turning to the so called Goddess of Love, she received the same silent response. In desperation, Marian made her plea to the rising sun on the following morn. I did not ignore her.”

Azura seemed to compose herself somewhat as she lowered her cup to the table and continued, “Indeed, I was intrigued by the prospect. That I am poorly equipped for such a task did not deter me. It is my hand of faith that touched the tiny elf at the moment of her sunrise birth. I heard her first fitful, crying breaths. As I watched her grow from a distance, I confess the little urchin. . . touched something within me. I found myself often taking the innocuous form of a twilight butterfly in order to observe the mer-child more closely. The concept of love is a foreign one to my kind but, over time, I believe that is exactly what I began to feel for this young elf as I watched her stumble and scrape her knees, get teased by human children about her small size and large ears, drop her clothes at every waterhole and dance with butterflies. Sometimes she quite unknowingly even danced with me. I question whether you lofty Divines actually know what it means to love a child?”

The Goddess of Twilight clearly expected no answer as she continued, “Buffy’s bow kept her alive as she blossomed into young maturity. When she needed a means of replenishing its magic, who provided the answer in the form of an artifact that would help? I did. When love drew her toward mortal danger at Kvatch, who arranged for Lord Peryite to provide her the training needed to survive the Deadlands and fight Daedra? I did. When she prayed to each of you for comfort after her body and heart were broken mere months ago, what response did she get?” Azura’s words dripped with disdain for the pair of Divines as she answered her own question, “The same silence you gave her mother.”

“Your points are well taken, cousin,” replied Mara gently. “We Divines are skilled with creation, but our efforts to intervene directly with the affairs of mortals have led to disaster more often than not. At best, our ability to communicate directly with them is vague and tenuous. Even those who devote themselves to us in priestly service struggle to understand our intent. As a Daedra Lord, you must also realize that when you effectively claimed this child at birth, you quite fettered our already limited ability to communicate with or even influence her.”

Azura's eyes and tone softened noticeably. “I lack your skill with creation, cousins. And my passions sometimes lead to . . . regrettable results when dealing with mortals as well. But unlike you, I don’t shy from the need when it arises.”

It was Kynareth who spoke next. “It seems clear, ladies, that cooperation might be appropriate here.”

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Acadian   Buffy - Book 2   Jun 24 2016, 02:12 PM
mALX   Wow, this was a fascinating and totally unexpected...   Jun 24 2016, 05:39 PM
SubRosa   I was uncommonly tickled to see Kynareth and Mara ...   Jun 24 2016, 06:04 PM
hazmick   Excellent start. Interesting take on the divines a...   Jun 24 2016, 07:12 PM
ghastley   "You worship the Nine Divines, perhaps? Have ...   Jun 24 2016, 08:41 PM
Andrea   Although I confess I still have yet to finish book...   Jun 25 2016, 12:50 PM
Darkness Eternal   The three godesses and Buffy! What a privilege...   Jun 27 2016, 03:29 PM
Grits   I loved the ultra-feminine sparring match over tea...   Jun 29 2016, 07:00 PM
Acadian   During Episode 1, Mara and Kynareth invited Azura ...   Jul 1 2016, 03:02 PM
ghastley   To gain such agreement is akin to herding cats an...   Jul 1 2016, 04:00 PM
SubRosa   How right that it would be Mother Mara who knows t...   Jul 2 2016, 04:35 PM
Lopov   Great prelude, Acadian, I enjoyed reading about th...   Jul 2 2016, 04:52 PM
hazmick   Sounds like the divines have a plan. All they need...   Jul 3 2016, 01:34 AM
mALX   FINALLY!!!! The story of Phantom...   Jul 3 2016, 02:46 PM
Lopov   Great backstory as we learn why Buffy's role i...   Jul 3 2016, 05:16 PM
Darkness Eternal   I recall Buffy had some time with Mazoga didn...   Jul 3 2016, 07:59 PM
Acadian   In Episode 2, which concluded our Prelude, we lear...   Jul 8 2016, 01:14 PM
ghastley   Other people just write cliff-hangers, but Acadian...   Jul 8 2016, 02:59 PM
Darkness Eternal   What I liked about this chapter is Superian. Her t...   Jul 8 2016, 09:11 PM
mALX   OMG!!!! OMG !!!! ...   Jul 8 2016, 10:47 PM
ghastley   OMG!!!! OMG !!!...   Jul 8 2016, 10:59 PM
mALX   OMG!!!! OMG !!!...   Jul 8 2016, 11:18 PM
hazmick   Well I certainly wasn't expecting that! Ab...   Jul 9 2016, 01:44 AM
Lopov   Awesome and very tense. The scene as she's in ...   Jul 9 2016, 04:02 PM
SubRosa   I remember those wild horses south of the Imperial...   Jul 9 2016, 06:59 PM
Renee   Sorry I've not been keeping up, but it's g...   Jul 10 2016, 07:22 PM
Acadian   In Episode 3, Buffy and Superian were startled by ...   Jul 15 2016, 01:43 PM
ghastley   Hmmm.... This looks like a jump out of Cyrodiil a...   Jul 15 2016, 03:50 PM
hazmick   Ah, that's a relief. So now we have a dragon i...   Jul 15 2016, 08:23 PM
SubRosa   What brought such an unusually large pack to our l...   Jul 17 2016, 01:54 AM
mALX   This story of Phantom is some of the best writing ...   Jul 17 2016, 04:41 AM
Darkness Eternal   Woah. Dragon and Mare bonding? So essentially Sup...   Jul 17 2016, 04:53 PM
Lopov   Lots of things to comment on - first of all, I enj...   Jul 19 2016, 08:08 PM
Acadian   In Episode 4, Buffy learned more about how Phantom...   Jul 22 2016, 12:39 PM
hazmick   As an archer and Conjurer, Haa-Rei finds Buffy...   Jul 22 2016, 01:13 PM
ghastley   I'm always fascinated with the balance of the ...   Jul 22 2016, 02:00 PM
Darkness Eternal   Hmm. That caught me by surprise when the dove beca...   Jul 22 2016, 04:10 PM
Lopov   I was slightly afraid at first that the dove is go...   Jul 23 2016, 06:48 PM
mALX   First off, the letter from Boderi was very touchin...   Jul 24 2016, 07:00 PM
mirocu   I´m terribly bad at reading, I´m sorry to say, b...   Jul 24 2016, 07:39 PM
SubRosa   The courier dove reminds me of the owls from The H...   Jul 24 2016, 08:14 PM
mALX   Oh, SubRosa reminded me that I meant to mention th...   Jul 24 2016, 08:24 PM
Renee   Hey, that's pretty neat, a living weapon for B...   Jul 26 2016, 02:30 AM
Grits   Catching up here, what a delight! Oh my gosh, ...   Jul 29 2016, 04:59 AM
Acadian   In Episode 5, a courier dove from the Arcane Unive...   Jul 29 2016, 02:34 PM
Renee   Yeah, look out minotaurs, and any enemy who doth f...   Jul 31 2016, 03:06 AM
mALX   I had some trouble understanding a few parts in th...   Jul 31 2016, 05:31 AM
Lopov   Buffy in conjunction with Slayer and Superian is a...   Jul 31 2016, 10:30 AM
SubRosa   The streaks of morning sunshine dappling through t...   Jul 31 2016, 08:36 PM
Darkness Eternal   The chapter title had me hooked. Indeed a native f...   Aug 1 2016, 06:06 PM
ghastley   So now we know that without the extra advantage of...   Aug 1 2016, 06:24 PM
Darkness Eternal   I forgot to mention that I just love seeing Buffy ...   Aug 1 2016, 08:02 PM
Grits   I enjoyed Buffy and Superian’s journey to the hi...   Aug 5 2016, 03:14 AM
Acadian   Episode 6 found Buffy and Superian approaching a h...   Aug 5 2016, 02:25 PM
hazmick   A real life Bosmer Bowmer, and soon a whole Valenv...   Aug 5 2016, 03:36 PM
mALX   WOO HOO! This is Awesome !!!...   Aug 7 2016, 10:00 AM
ghastley   /glances at the thread subtitle Something tells m...   Aug 7 2016, 01:13 PM
SubRosa   A Valley Girl? Like, gag me with a spoon! Sorr...   Aug 7 2016, 05:50 PM
Renee   I've been saying this for awhile but I love he...   Aug 14 2016, 06:24 AM
Lopov   Looks like Buffy's soon about to learn more ab...   Aug 8 2016, 06:07 AM
Darkness Eternal   What a start. I was wondering if the little elf wa...   Aug 8 2016, 09:03 PM
SubRosa   That reminds me, Vandrelis has his own theme music...   Aug 8 2016, 10:49 PM
mALX   That reminds me, Vandrelis has his own theme musi...   Aug 8 2016, 11:22 PM
BretonBlood   Just read through the whole story so far. I'm ...   Aug 11 2016, 05:05 AM
Grits   So Buffy’s not from Sunnydale? :D I love how the...   Aug 12 2016, 12:33 AM
Acadian   In our last episode, Buffy and Superian were surpr...   Aug 12 2016, 12:32 PM
Lopov   It's nice that Vandrelis' tribe honors the...   Aug 12 2016, 01:53 PM
ghastley   There are suggestions in this of the Valenwood Imp...   Aug 12 2016, 03:05 PM
BretonBlood   I really love the Native American influence you ha...   Aug 12 2016, 04:45 PM
Grits   First, I forgot to say last time how much the desc...   Aug 12 2016, 10:03 PM
Darkness Eternal   Hmm. So Mr. Vandrelis hitches a ride on Superian. ...   Aug 12 2016, 10:34 PM
hazmick   Loved that sparrow quote, gave me a chuckle. Lov...   Aug 13 2016, 03:34 PM
SubRosa   That was a very direct display of trust of Buffy, ...   Aug 14 2016, 05:30 PM
mALX   D'awww, Buffy was adorable with Vandrelis...   Aug 15 2016, 07:12 PM
Acadian   I’m posting a day earlier than my preferred Frid...   Aug 18 2016, 01:07 PM
hazmick   Well I certainly wasn't expecting that! So...   Aug 18 2016, 01:33 PM
BretonBlood   Well that was unexpected.... I feel bad for Buffy ...   Aug 18 2016, 03:18 PM
Darkness Eternal   Wow I didn't expect that either. I loved this ...   Aug 18 2016, 09:03 PM
Lopov   I think it's good to know one's past, even...   Aug 19 2016, 06:08 PM
SubRosa   I very much liked the exchange of sap and blood in...   Aug 20 2016, 04:23 PM
ghastley   I'm sure the Alderglean/Eldergleam/Gildergreen...   Aug 20 2016, 06:31 PM
mALX   Oh, I realized that immediately because I know B...   Aug 21 2016, 10:56 AM
Grits   I loved reading about the Cloud Dancers’ blood a...   Aug 26 2016, 05:04 AM
Acadian   In our last episode, Buffy learned that her tribe ...   Aug 26 2016, 12:59 PM
Darkness Eternal   Excellent. Looking forward to this. Oh a mammot...   Aug 26 2016, 02:40 PM
ghastley   Superian should have an opinion by now, too. :O ...   Aug 26 2016, 05:30 PM
BretonBlood   I really enjoyed the backstory on Buffy's trib...   Aug 26 2016, 08:58 PM
Renee   I very much liked the exchange of sap and blood i...   Aug 27 2016, 03:20 AM
SubRosa   More excellent world-building with the yearly cycl...   Aug 27 2016, 06:29 PM
Grits   I enjoyed the details about the tribe’s gatherin...   Aug 27 2016, 08:20 PM
hazmick   A lovely little chapter indeed. The Spirit Catcher...   Aug 27 2016, 08:28 PM
mALX   This is a wonderful chapter, and there is so much ...   Aug 30 2016, 01:56 AM
Lopov   As I've said before, reading about one's p...   Sep 1 2016, 01:37 PM
Acadian   In our last episode, Violet told Buffy about life ...   Sep 2 2016, 01:37 PM
Darkness Eternal   A pale green twilight butterfly fluttered nearby. ...   Sep 2 2016, 07:35 PM
BretonBlood   As Darkness Eternal said, it was kind of obvious B...   Sep 2 2016, 09:38 PM
mALX   I also agree with DE on all he said. I am very ex...   Sep 3 2016, 09:17 AM
SubRosa   The same butterfly every twilight? Oh that would b...   Sep 3 2016, 07:10 PM
Renee   Oh I see. I just learned a lot from these senten...   Sep 6 2016, 02:26 AM
Lopov   While her tribe can certainly teach Buffy many new...   Sep 6 2016, 02:04 PM
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:58 AM