Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood and Corruption, A Fan-Fiction
Zalphon
post Aug 28 2010, 03:51 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Prologue

I kneeled before Emperor Pelagius, we all did. The year was 4E 575. He had come to greet the Imperial Legion’s soon-to-be soldiers in Morrowind. The Great Houses were back to their former power, thanks to Divayth Fyr’s work to restore it to what it was before Lie Rock hit.

The cities were gone, but some were rebuilt. We were going to Morrowind, to defend against the Argonians who were trying to take it again. I was one of the battle-mages to be going to Vvardenfell.

Pelagius stated, “You are the Empire’s Finest. The Marsh Knights as they call themselves try yet again to take Morrowind. Some of you will go to the Main Land to defend against their forces; others will go to Vvardenfell to keep order.”

“Listen up, soldiers,” Knight of the Dragon Trask Gro-Tralog barked. “Once we win this war and the Marsh Knights are captured, we’re all coming back here to Cyrodiil as war heroes.”

We all cheered and raised our blades with enthusiasm. About five-thousand of us stood in the streets of the Imperial City at the Palace District. We wore suits of Imperial-Steel Armor, while the officers wore suits of Templar Armor made from ebony, but painted to be gold.

After the Emperor left, my friend, Saraya smiled, “You looking forward to going to your homeland, you Ashen-Born son of a vampire?” Her smile revealed brilliant white teeth. She was an Imperial raised in Elsewyr, which made it strange her teeth were so clean due to all the sugar.

“Do khajiit smoke Skooma?” I asked rhetorically. Saraya smiled at me gently. We had known each other since we enlisted five years ago. She was my bunk mate and she was one in a million of friends.

“Kalarn,” she sighed with a grin. “You always mock Khajiits. Did one of those mean khajiits get your tongue when you were little?”

I simply chuckled, “Funny, now I need to go.” I walked away, wading through the streets of the Imperial City. Hundreds of people looked at me, some saluted, some scowled, and others paid no notice. I was a hero at least to some. The Marsh Knights hated all Dunmer.

The moon rose and the streets emptied. In an alley, I noticed a young Breton girl casting a spell and a Skooma pipe lighting up. A tear burned my eyes, another life lost to the drug.

Imperium Tong twenty-five years ago had a lot of it in the circulation, and then some Bosmer single-handedly took them out with the help of an Argonian and a khajiit. At least that’s what the history books said.

I found myself crawling to a tavern, it was warmly, quiet, and tranquil. The Tavern Keeper smiled. An aging imperial dressed in a blue shirt and black pants smiled. “Can I get a room?”

He nodded and as I pulled out my coin-purse, “Sorry, Soldier. Your money’s no good here. The bed is upstairs to the left, here’s the key.” I snatched the key and headed up the stairs to blissful sleep.

Tomorrow, Vvardenfell awaited me. Champion Kalarn Dralas of the Imperial Legion. Five years ago, I was just a recruit, but my outstanding duty has earned me a position right below the Knights.

My mind faded into the dream world. Vaermina’s realm...

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 28 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

biggrin.gif I am gonna love this. Marsh Knights sound great, good prologue. set after the oblivion crisis, right?

This post has been edited by hazmick: Aug 28 2010, 11:05 AM

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 28 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

Nice start. Your hero seems to have some depth that makes for an interesting read. Looking forward to this. smile.gif

some Bosmer single-handedly took them out with the help of an Argonian and a khajiit.
Ahah - Nice nod to Minx, Quick-Strike and J'Skooma. wink.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 28 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

I have to agree with Acadian - really nice start - and I love the reference to my fave characters!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 29 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

This has a lot of promise. Interesting characters, a set up that provides some context- but also leaves some questions.... It will be interesting to follow Kalarn's story

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Aug 29 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

Hazmick, this is almost six-hundred years later.

Treydog, it's intentional that I leave questions. If you know every secret about him, why read?

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 1 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #7

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter One: Voyage to Vvardenfell

I awoke to the innkeeper nudging my shoulder. “Sir, the sun is rising, I have prepared potatoes and venison for you to enjoy,” he stated. “I hope you do.” I simply nodded as I started to don my armor.

I walked down the stairs and a feast awaited me. “Master-Soldier, enjoy the meal. You’ll need a full stomach to fight against the Marsh Knights,” the Innkeeper said calmly. “I wish I could fight, but alas my daughter lives out in Weye.”

“Well I do thank you for this wonderful meal, Sir,” I managed to say between mouthfuls. It exploded with flavor when it hit my tongue. The man shouldn’t run a tavern; he should be the Emperor’s personal chef.

Several minutes later, I finished my meal and walked out. That’s where it happened. People walked by the spot left-and-right, uncaring of the events that occurred. I killed an innocent Argonian there. Even worse, I was given a promotion for it.

The Argonian stood there shouting, “The Legion needs to stop this war. The Marsh Knights fight in defense.”

“Be silent, Sympathizer.”

“You can’t silence me; I am one voice of many.”

“You’ll be silent or you’ll rot in prison.”

He just chuckled. I swung, deep. I can still see the deep laceration gushing blood and the Argonian on the ground. He died in cold blood; I didn’t have to kill him. However, the guards saw me do it and my commander, Knight-Protector White-Raven.

I finally reached the Waterfront after hours of walking through the people. Large warships filled the docks. Saraya looked at me and giggled girlishly. She wore a suit of black-leather armor with a hooded, black cloak. Across her back was a quiver filled with arrows and in her hands was a bow. “Finally made it, Battle-Mage?” She laughed. “You look like you just went through Oblivion and back.”

I looked in the water, my hair was a mess. “I thought you were a soldier?” I asked. “Why the special outfit?”

“This? I’m a Nightblade, Kalarn. I thought you knew I was a trained Nightblade,” she chuckled. “Besides, Champion you need us.”

“You kill the Marsh Knight leader and I’ll make sure you take my position.”

“We don’t even know who their leader is yet.”
“Everyone get on the ships, we’re heading for Vvardenfell,” Trask ordered. We each marched on ships. We were told to go to the lower levels of the ship for our rooms; the Knights got the upper ones.

As usual, Saraya and I got rooms right next to each other. Hundreds of men boarded each ship. Yet, it felt like a ghost ship. Desolate. I lied down on my hammock, letting sleep take my mind.

My dream was strange. I was sitting in the Ruined City talking to an Argonian and a Khajiit. The Argonian wore black-leather armor and had a black, hooded cloak. The Khajiit wore tattered gray robes and white fur with black stripes.

“Kalarn Dralas, I am Quick-Strike,” the Argonian stated. “Vvardenfell awaits, Kalarn. But your destiny doesn’t lie in Vvardenfell.”

“What’re you talking about?” I asked. “I’m just a soldier.”

“We’ll see… We’ll see…”

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 1 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

ooh, another good chapter. We can see small parts of your characters past rising to the surface here, it's very interesting.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 1 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #9

Ancient
Group Icon

I have to agree with Hazmick, this chapter was very clean. You perked interest and had the right amount of description and detail - great write!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 2 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #10

Paladin
Group Icon

Nice. I see a revealing flashback. Also what appears to be some foreshadowing by our old friends - the ones with tails. smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 7 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #11

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter Two: Nightmares

When we reached Vvardenfell, a smile came over my face. The once desolate Ashland was now a gargantuan jungle of many different types of flora. After Red Mountain exploded, it nearly destroyed Morrowind, but it survived and flourished.

Standing at the New Ebonheart Docks was Knight of the Dragon, Kristopher Myre. The Imperial wore a suit of polished ebony armor and a long, black cape flowed behind him. When we docked, I crawled off the ship, eager to enjoy Vvardenfell.

The Argonian from my dreams stood several paces east of Kristopher Myre. He stared at me and I could almost feel his gaze bite into my flesh. Myre walked aboard and saw us standing in our armor, “Welcome to Vvardenfell. Before Red Mountain exploded, Vvardenfell was an ashy wasteland. Now, you’ll die just as fast from the predators.”

He jerked off his closed helm and pointed to his left eye. His left eye was covered by an eye patch. “That’s from a Kwama Worker when I was ordered to kill a queen because it was diseased. That’s one of the lighter wounds I’ve gotten during my time here. If you’re not careful, I’ll send you home in a coffin.”

“Sir,” one of the recruits asked. “I thought Kwama were peaceful and not very aggressive.”

“That was before Red Mountain exploded. The Jungle changed everything here. Everything.”

“Sir,” another recruit asked. “Where will be stationed?”

“You’ll most likely go to different places. Also, vampires are still in Vvardenfell. They may be rarer, but they’re still here.”

We all nodded. “Head to the Barracks so you can get some sleep,” he ordered.

Like good little pets, we marched to the beds. The blanket covered me, but left my feet to freeze. The pillow was a flour-bag and my mattress was stuffed with hay. I let my mind fall into the world of dreams…

It was strange and nightmarish. Huge crevices opened as I ran. Children, the old, the sickly, they all were too slow to escape. The Argonian and a furry-white khajiit ran with me. I saw Nirn from space, as if I was a god. Tamriel was hastily splitting apart.

There was a cataclysm occurring. I awoke in the middle of the night soaked in sweat. The Argonian sat by my bed and asked, “What’s wrong, Kalarn?”

“How did you get in here?” I snapped. “This is the Barracks.”

“You dreamt it too. About Nirn.”

“Yes. I’m glad it was just a dream.”

“It’s more than just that. We shared a dream, I’m centuries old, you’re barely in your first century. We need to leave, now. We need to stop this from happening.”

“How are we going to do that, Quick-Strike?”

“A very good question. However, I have a feeling my companion, J’skooma knows of a prophecy of some sort.” I donned my armor as he spoke.

Blue flames consumed us, but it didn’t hurt as we were teleported. “J’skooma, that dream we had. Do you know of any prophecies about it?” Quick-Strike asked.

“No. J’skooma is scared. The only way J’skooma thinks we can stop it is to stop who’s doing it.”

“There’s only one wizard on Nirn powerful enough to do this other than J’skooma. Divayth Fyr. We have to kill him.”

My jaw dropped, “How about Mannimarco and Akatosh while we’re at it?”

“It won’t be easy, but it must be done.” The bitter winds of Vvardenfell blew against my flesh, past the cracks in my armor. I felt beads of sweat drip down my cheeks.

“Any plans? Nobody has heard from Divayth Fyr since Red Mountain erupted.”

“We’ll find him,” Quick-Strike said confidently…

--------------------
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Sep 7 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

A strange dream is the best way to start an adventure laugh.gif I'm looking forward to learning more about 'New Vvardenfell', Quick-Strike and J'Skooma in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 7 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #13

Ancient
Group Icon

Woo Hoo! I am intrigued by the shared dream - and Divayth Fyr !!!!!! This story has got to be the best yet, your creative ideas for stories just never quits !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Sep 8 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Mouth
Group Icon

‘Strike and J’Cat are back! At least this time they have to take out a character that is closer to their own age! wink.gif Honestly by now you could hardly blame them if they just decided to kill everyone to keep from having to clean up Tamriel every hundred years or so. They must spend eternity feeling like underpaid garbage-men (sorry . . . sanitation workers).

Even though Quick Strike has already told Kalarn that his destiny doesn’t lie in Vvardenfell, I am hoping that we get to see more of it. The changes hinted at in the aftermath of the explosion of Red Mountain are too intriguing not to explore. What does a Kwama Worker even look like now? And I bet the Cliff Racers are nothing to sneeze at! I almost 'pulled a Buffy' the first time I saw a Kagouti. Now they must be positively feral.

More please.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 9 2010, 03:26 AM
Post #15

Paladin
Group Icon

So Vvardenfell is different, but just as dangerous. Those kwama workers sound pretty dangerous!

Nice to see QS and JsK with another knight to show the ropes to.

Nits:
He jerked off his closed helm and pointed to his left eye. His left eye was covered by an eye patch.
I would avoid so many eyes in close proximity. Perhaps: 'He jerked off his closed helm and pointed to his left eye. It was covered by a patch.'
“Sir,” another recruit asked. “Where will be stationed?”
I think perhaps you meant where will we be stationed?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 9 2010, 04:31 AM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks, Acadian. A Kwama Worker? Remember, this is the head of the military on Vvardenfell (and Morrowind). And he's got that wound from a Worker. Let's not forget warriors, guys.

I hope you guys like New Vvardenfell. Mt Saint Helens erupted and now it's all nice. Like Vvardenfell is, but Vvardenfell has had several centuries, not two decades. Will we see some of the horrors of Vvardenfell? A worker nearly killed one of the world's best swordsman. Let's see what a pack of nix-hounds can do or an alit smile.gif

I fear for Kalarn, though. If he fails, then Tamriel and Nirn is royally <censored by Zalphon>. Hopefully he succeeds.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 11 2010, 01:11 AM
Post #17

Knower
Group Icon

Chapter Three: Divayth’s Tower

J’skooma teleported me with a spell to the Tower of Divayth Fyr as the sun rose. He and Quick-Strike would search for information from their contacts. The Khajiit didn’t remember where the tower was, while it was within distance of sight, it was the better part of a mile away.

I heard a screech. A burning screech that nearly shattered my ear-drums that came from above, most likely from a bird. I scanned the skies and saw something horrible. A shadow of something hovered. Like a cliff-racer from before the burst.

For several minutes I walked, sure that it was something strange. A sharp shard of bone attached to a scaly tail whipped my cuirass. The shadow was much closer, just above me in fact. It was attacking me!

I slashed at it and transparent black blood emitted from the laceration. I shoved my blade into the throat of the shadow and it fell down. Upon closer inspection I realized something. It was a cliff-racer.

I raised a brow in curiosity on how it changed. For the next twenty minutes following, it was peaceful. The door was locked, but I knocked it. Eerily it opened and there stood a specter of an old Dunmer woman in a suit of armor. “I am the youngest of the fallen guardians of Lord Fyr’s tower. I will carve your flesh if you don’t leave this plae, it’s not meant for the likes of you,” it ordered.

“Get out of my way,” I growled. “I need to search the tower.” The Dunmer sighed and drug her hand down her face. She drew a spectral sword and swung at me.

I dodged and drew my silver long-sword. I slashed at the ghost, but it parried. It lunged at me, but I riposted accordingly and it coughed up some ectoplasm. “Y-you defeated me, the Youngest of the Fyr Sisters. You’ll never plunder our treasures, Mortal.” It faded into the after-life.

The victory of defeating her was minute. I walked down the ramp to another room. Tunnels now. Corpses lined the walls; huge, mutated corpses. I couldn’t tell what gender they were, they looked very asexual.

A note was on the ground. It read something strange. It wasn’t written in Tamrielic, it was written in Aldmeris.

“Thare,

My daughters are dead, because of a marauder who came through here. I want you to protect my treasures above for when I come back. Especially the Tome of…”
I couldn’t read the rest.

I rushed up the stairs, eager to discover the Tome. Three Dunmer Female Specters and a skeleton of an Orc surrounded me. Fear consumed me…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 11 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #18

Paladin
Group Icon

Uh-oh. Shadow Racers.

Tome of. . . a mystery!

Now surrounded by green ghosts - a cliffhanger! smile.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 12 2010, 05:15 AM
Post #19

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 10 2010, 10:23 PM) *

Uh-oh. Shadow Racers.

Tome of. . . a mystery!

Now surrounded by green ghosts - a cliffhanger! smile.gif

I have to agree with Acadian on that being a real quotable place! Very intriguing!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 22 2010, 02:18 AM
Post #20

Knower
Group Icon

Sorry it has been so long lately. I've been busy with school and stuff. I'll try to post again soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:28 AM