Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

98 Pages V « < 83 84 85 86 87 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Today in Skyrim..., Epic battles, mudcrab sightings, anything but spoilers. What did your
monkeyemoness
post Sep 17 2017, 01:57 AM
Post #1681

Mouth
Group Icon

tbh if Glover Mallory was a marriage candidate, I'd marry him on this character

Anyways, The Book of Love is kind of bad and even though the game's been out for nearly six years, I don't want to spoil why. Let's just say "fickle", "deceitful", and "dead" aren't very positive forms of love.

I guess religion in Skyrim really is bad.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Sep 24 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #1682

Mouth
Group Icon

So a bit of a warning: negativity ahead.

That aside, and on a more positive note, I DID notice that the game tries to tie everything together, DLC content included, with the series theme of "Stasis vs Change", specifically whether to keep up old traditions or discard them and try something new.

I really do wonder what the game would be like if they spent more time on it. This being Bethesda, it would most likely still be infuriating, but still.

This post has been edited by monkeyemoness: Sep 24 2017, 06:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 24 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #1683

Ancient
Group Icon

I still have never completed the main quest in Skyrim. The farthest I have gotten is finding out Delphine is a Blade and going to kill the second dragon Sakhalin (or whatever its name is). I just cannot stay interested in it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 25 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #1684

Master
Group Icon

In Lucius Caro's game I made it to the point where he was asked to get both Tullius and Ulfric to High Hrothgar for negotiatons but that's when I lost interest in the MQ for good.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 25 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #1685

Councilor
Group Icon

Thankfully, one of the reasons I love TES is that you can ignore a HUGE portion of what the game has to offer and still have fun and find so much to do

Yes indeed.

In my case, I've never been able to get very far into the MQ on Xbox, but this was mostly because I'm still a table-gamer at heart. Dragons in these games (DnD, Advanced Melee, etc.) are actually rare. They don't show up every 3 days or whatever the Skyrim vanilla counter uses. They are rare in the tablegames, meaning that when one actually showed up via dice rolls, it would be a rather special experience. Having dragons flying around pretty much everywhere, at any time quickly got old.

But I think I'll do okay on PC, where we can make the random draggies not show up nearly as often. I think I've got a mod which gives something like a 5% chance every 60 days or something such. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 25 2017, 01:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 25 2017, 02:56 PM
Post #1686

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Sep 24 2017, 01:24 PM) *

Thankfully, one of the reasons I love TES is that you can ignore a HUGE portion of what the game has to offer and still have fun and find so much to do.

That seems to be the way I play the game. The MQ is an optional way to play for those who need a script for it. All the rest of us just wander around and do whatever comes up.

This weekend I took Rincewind and Conina for a walk around parts of the map they hadn't explored before and just did whatever anyone asked them to help with. Or took the fight to anyone who offered one, like that belligerent mage outside Fort Amol when they passed by. It's not very Rincewind to fight, rather than run away, but the game doesn't let Conina make those decisions for him, so I have to.

I also played a bit more of Cohen the Barbarian and his Temple Dancer companion, Fuzz. In that game, he's definitely doing whatever he wants, and she's just tagging along. They're currently waiting for a letter from Falk Firebeard to continue the Potema incident, but he's slow to raise levels. I gave him max stats for weapon skills at the expense of low health and stamina, and no magika (so no spells). That means he can't get levels from using his weapons, only from smithing, sneaking, trading, alchemy and enchanting and a miniscule amount from light armour.

He's just reached level 10 after 18 hours of play, and that didn't trigger a courier. I think he needs a level up after level 10 (i.e. becoming 11) to do so. 10 starts the quest, and then the next one sends the letter.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Sep 25 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #1687

Mouth
Group Icon

I find it interesting how relatively large a portion of the player base never finishes the main quest of a TES game, or at least takes a long time getting around to it. Personally, it's one of if not the first questlines I do in a TES game.

There are actually a bunch of faction quests I haven't done in the games, though. For Skyrim, I've never finished the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild questlines. Barely done any of those at all, actually.

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 25 2017, 05:44 PM
Post #1688

Paladin
Group Icon

I liked Skyrim very much but found it the worst offender regarding questlines the Buffy balked on. Despite 4000 hours in Skyrim, she never completed the MQ, Civil War, DB, TG or the Dragonborn DLC. She happily enjoyed all the misc quests, wonderful dungeons, Companions, College and Dawnguard.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 25 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #1689

Councilor
Group Icon

My first character in each game might well do everything, starting with the MQ, but the rest don't. That char is usually also default race and uses a built-in class. So Dunmer in Morrowind, Imperial in Oblivion, Nord in Skyrim. All male by default.

I may be non-typical, as after that first play-through, I'm creating my own mods, and the subsequent characters are testing them, but after that, I'm still creating ones that "just wanna have fun!" They may be of custom race (Dremora, Smurf, whatever Diablita is) as well. In Daggerfall, I couldn't play an Orc, so I did.

Or I may adjust them off the usual scales. Genghiz Cohen is a good example. He's a Nord, but he's ancient, feeble, and insanely skilled. You don't get to be a Barbarian of his age without being very hard to kill. So he started with 50 Health, 50 Stamina, zero Magicka, together with 100 in each of the weapon skills, and all the (useful) perks. Buffy will see a fellow glass cannon in Cohen the Barbarian.

Half the fun is trying out those oddball builds, and in a game where the MQ isn't everything, it's more fun, because you can pick your path and challenges to suit the character. A fixed route railroads your choices, too.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 26 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #1690

Councilor
Group Icon

ghastley: That's pretty cool, you have a no-magic character, and even have removed magicka entirely.
Admirable.

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 25 2017, 11:59 AM) *

I find it interesting how relatively large a portion of the player base never finishes the main quest of a TES game, or at least takes a long time getting around to it. Personally, it's one of if not the first questlines I do in a TES game.

Wow. I guess because I've always been a "save the best for last" sort of person that I've always put the MQ off. Even in Arena, where there isn't much to do (side quests quickly become old) I spent a lot of time with her just randomly walking around the landscape, looking for random-generated dungeons to explore, so she could build her experience up.

I do see where you're coming from though. I bet the main plot gets tempting for you eh? Like a new novel you want to just dig into.

This post has been edited by Renee: Sep 26 2017, 01:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Sep 26 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #1691

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Sep 25 2017, 10:59 AM) *

Honestly, it took my brother-in-law asking to borrow my Skyrim disk for me to actually finish the main quest. Up until recently I never even got past A Blade in the Dark, finishing Dragonborn instead and then losing interest every time. I guess I really take to the freedom the games give you because I always just do content as I run into it.

And with Skyrim I took to spreading around quests to other characters right away instead of doing it with a single character first like I did with Oblivion. (The TG and DB always were avoided or destroyed after the first time, though.)

It's even bled into ESO, where the MMO aspect encourages you to do the quests anyways yet I've only done the Mages/Fighters Guild questlines on one character each and one character alone (same with the DLC questlines). We'll see if that holds true ten years from now when TES VI is finally released. :V

I think at this point I know what to expect from Bethesda's main quests so I'm not particularly concerned with seeing them through to the end. I'm just here to get lost in the game world.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 26 2017, 10:47 PM
Post #1692

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Sep 26 2017, 01:40 PM) *
... I think at this point I know what to expect from Bethesda's main quests so I'm not particularly concerned with seeing them through to the end. I'm just here to get lost in the game world.

This. ^

Oblivion was the last game where I allowed the 'get my money's worth' mentality to kind of push me to complete all quests. I no longer feel obligated to push Buffy toward things that don't strike her fancy or suit her nature. Similar to your sentiment, she just wants to get lost and live her life in a nice big open world.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 29 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #1693

Councilor
Group Icon

Someone asked about the possibility of an Altmer Hearthfires recentkly, so I rolled up a character - High Ho Sylvia - to go wander around and get ideas for me. She's doing pure mage right now, but has a bound sword as part of raising conjuration, and could easily end up raising one-handed as well.

Made her extra-tall, with big hair to exaggerate it, and minimum weight. That's about as far from my Smurfs as you can get!

I used Skyrim Unbound to start her in Solitude and haven't decided whether she's sympathetic to the Thalmor or against them, but she's not pro-Nord at all. She may be part of some other Altmer faction that rivals the Thalmor (but probably not Psijic).

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 29 2017, 02:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Oct 2 2017, 03:20 AM
Post #1694

Mouth
Group Icon

Long post incoming:

So a couple nights ago I went to check out how long it has been since the TES games in my Steam catalogue had been played. And holy crap, with the exception of ESO it has been a long while. In Skyrim's case, I hadn't played it since last December. I had the urge to dust it off so I booted it up, although I had no clue where I would be.

This little story I am going to tell here is with my first ever character in Skyrim, and by extension my first ever character in a TES game (well, I had first played Skyrim on my friend's Xbox 360 in late 2013, but that doesn't count), my Dragonborn. Turns out I had been chilling at Breezehome with my lovely wife Lydia and my two adorable daughters Sissel and Sofie, and Serana had been hanging out with us.

My primary task (now complete as of yesterday) was to build the rest of Heljarchen Hall and Windstad Manor. Lakeview Manor was already finished quite a while ago. My Dragonborn wants to use them for housing to get people down on their luck back on their feet, as he is quite content with his family back in Whiterun. I am hoping to run into Taren Dreth soon, and I am likely not going to try to get to the Ebony Warrior. I might console command him in, although that would feel pretty cheap.

My character, whose name I am retconning to Cincinnatus (the name in-game that I actually have is a bit of a long story), has seen enough adventures for a score of mere mortals. And while he has amassed much wealth, renown, and had loads of fun he has grown weary of the life of adventuring. He's become highly proficient in a lot of skills (he decided to take up two-handed weaponry recently). But he also has a family to go home to. He is extremely close to finally calling it a career.

But Cincinnatus has decided to go on one last trek around the province on a personal farewell tour of sorts to adventuring. Part of it is, again, to try to get that Taren Dreth encounter to happen. But it is also to see just how far he has come since he almost got his head cut off by the Imperials.

The first destination of the tour was to revisit where this all began: Helgen. Serana and Cincinnatus dispatched some bandits there with ease, and had a look around. He had been back to Helgen several times, but this time in particular held deep meaning for him with his impending retirement. After killing the bandits, Tundra played in the background, a fitting tune.

Here's a few pictures of Cincinnatus checking the place out (It occurred to me that I never actually took screenshots before. What the hell is wrong with me? tongue.gif ):
Overlooking Helgen
Having flashback to the beginning of his escape from Helgen

And some other pictures:
Out for a stroll
Looking north across the Padomaic Ocean

After revisiting a couple smaller places on the map leaving Helgen, Cincinnatus made his way to Dawnstar. He is currently in Winterhold about to go to Windhelm.

Kind of bittersweet to be finally concluding the story of my first-ever TES character. It's cool looking back on how I first got into the series and after putting a huge portion of it under my belt, though.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Oct 2 2017, 03:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Oct 2 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #1695

Councilor
Group Icon

Ha! I like that name--Cincinnatus. I also like that feeling you got...when you haven't touched this game for months, so you're not sure where you left off. This can be interesting to return to Skyrim (or any game) unknowing of where you were. Happens to me several times a year, for sure.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 2 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #1696

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Renee @ Oct 2 2017, 12:11 PM) *

Ha! I like that name--Cincinnatus. I also like that feeling you got...when you haven't touched this game for months, so you're not sure where you left off. This can be interesting to return to Skyrim (or any game) unknowing of where you were. Happens to me several times a year, for sure.

And that reminds me of the one thing I don't like about the Morrowind style of Journal. When you resume a character after a long time of not playing, you have no "to do" list of unfinished business. I picked up my Vampirella game and spent half an hour just figuring out what parts of the Main Quest she hadn't done. Skyrim's method is much better, but then again, I miss being able to review the past stuff that simply disappears. There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 2 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #1697

Paladin
Group Icon

What a lovely little review and tour you gave us!

I let the Tundra song play as I read this. Very nostalgic. happy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
monkeyemoness
post Oct 2 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #1698

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 2 2017, 12:14 PM) *

And that reminds me of the one thing I don't like about the Morrowind style of Journal. When you resume a character after a long time of not playing, you have no "to do" list of unfinished business. I picked up my Vampirella game and spent half an hour just figuring out what parts of the Main Quest she hadn't done. Skyrim's method is much better, but then again, I miss being able to review the past stuff that simply disappears. There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

Oblivion's journal, imo. There's no distinction between main and misc objectives, but at the very least you're able to see both previous objectives of a quest (which are neatly placed inside the quest "topic" in descending order) and the in-game date you receive them in, something Skyrim sorely lacks. The last one in particular really bothered me in my recent run with Legacy of the Dragonborn.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the closing moments of your first ever character with us, Rader. Although I've since retconned my first TES character, there's something...deeply personal about seeing through a long-played character to the end, especially one's first.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 2 2017, 10:01 PM
Post #1699

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Oct 2 2017, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 2 2017, 12:14 PM) *

Oblivion's journal, imo. There's no distinction between main and misc objectives, but at the very least you're able to see both previous objectives of a quest (which are neatly placed inside the quest "topic" in descending order) and the in-game date you receive them in, something Skyrim sorely lacks. The last one in particular really bothered me in my recent run with Legacy of the Dragonborn.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the closing moments of your first ever character with us, Rader. Although I've since retconned my first TES character, there's something...deeply personal about seeing through a long-played character to the end, especially one's first.

You're probably right about that, but I tend to forget it's a journal, the way they buried it among all the other stuff.

Now I do like the "multiple active quests" addition in Skyrim. Seeing multiple quest markers on the map, so you can decide what to do on the way, is a plus. I also like having current and completed on the same list with a divider.

I'd like to see the cross-linking from the Morrowind Journal return. Especially if they insist on connecting quest-lines together. Being able to use a keyword as an index entry was nice.

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Oct 3 2017, 01:38 AM
Post #1700

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks. I picked Cincinnatus for several reasons. For one, it's a little homage to Arena since Argonians had naming conventions at that point. Second, the real Cincinnatus is a very interesting historical figure. Third, he is from Lilmoth, which had significant Imperial influences. Although that was a long time before Skyrim, so I haven't quite worked out the backstory for him yet.

It's also the (actual) name of my Vestige in ESO. I am retconning the names I had for my other Heroes too, but I don't want to name them all Cincinnatus.

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 2 2017, 01:14 PM) *

Yeah, I found the journals from each of the games to have particular strengths and weaknesses.
-Morrowind was laid out more like an actual journal and you could look up keywords, but it becomes clunky and bloated to go through rather easily.
-Oblivion made it easy to look at the steps you took for a quest when you have it selected, but actually combing through the current quests on your plate was cumbersome.
-Skyrim makes it the nicest and cleanest to go through which quests you have and separates "real" and miscellaneous quests neatly, but you get comparatively scant details about what you are doing (e.g. no date in which you took on a quest or progressed to a certain point on it).

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 2 2017, 03:38 PM) *

What a lovely little review and tour you gave us!

I let the Tundra song play as I read this. Very nostalgic. happy.gif

Glad you liked it. Kyne's Peace is actually my favorite TES tune of all, but Tundra is very close to it.

QUOTE(monkeyemoness @ Oct 2 2017, 04:21 PM) *

Glad you enjoyed it. It is also neat to look back at who I was in real life when I created him, and where I am at now with the impending conclusion to Cincinnatus's story.

--------------------
+Quote Post

98 Pages V « < 83 84 85 86 87 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:26 PM