79 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer issues, Viruses, trojans, crashes, install problems etc
mirocu
post Jul 24 2018, 02:45 PM
Post #541

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Thanks for the link, mALX. I'll see what I can do when I get to my puter later. But it does look like it's a lost cause with ME kvleft.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 24 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #542

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 24 2018, 09:45 AM) *

Thanks for the link, mALX. I'll see what I can do when I get to my puter later. But it does look like it's a lost cause with ME kvleft.gif

From what I read on there, certain games will not play on ME even if you are finally able to get others to. That's why I wondered about the reformat. From what I heard, ME is riddled with issues like this on compatibility. Do you have DOS as the OS on a partition? Would doing that help? (SubRosa or Ghastley?)

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jul 24 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #543

Master
Group Icon

Me was garbage, just like Vista and 8.0 as far as I'm concerned. 8.1 got a bit better but I didn't care for the tablet designed interface. Still don't use tiles in Windows 10(and I could do without ads for your crappy game apps, thanks).

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 24 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #544

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jul 24 2018, 02:28 PM) *

Me was garbage, just like Vista and 8.0 as far as I'm concerned. 8.1 got a bit better but I didn't care for the tablet designed interface. Still don't use tiles in Windows 10(and I could do without ads for your crappy game apps, thanks).

I'm gonna defend Vista...to an extent. It wasn't all that bad after the first big update. But yeah, up until then it left much to be desired. (My third computer, which almost never gets turned on, would still run Vista had it not reached end of life status.) I ignored 8 and 8.1 altogether. Wanted no part of them. Win10? There's much I dislike about it, though at its core I think it a good OS. Windows 7? My all-time favorite. MS knocked it out of the park with that release. BTW, if you refer to those games and other functions that appear among Win10's tiles, most of those can be gotten rid of.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jul 25 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #545

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 24 2018, 10:21 PM) *

I'm gonna defend Vista...to an extent. It wasn't all that bad after the first big update. But yeah, up until then it left much to be desired. (My third computer, which almost never gets turned on, would still run Vista had it not reached end of life status.) I ignored 8 and 8.1 altogether. Wanted no part of them. Win10? There's much I dislike about it, though at its core I think it a good OS. Windows 7? My all-time favorite. MS knocked it out of the park with that release. BTW, if you refer to those games and other functions that appear among Win10's tiles, most of those can be gotten rid of.

Every time I turn them off, they turn themselves back on after WIndows updates.

My start menu is littered with advertisements. The tiles I turned off entirely.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 25 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #546

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jul 25 2018, 01:00 AM) *

The Start Menu itself????? Hmmm.... I don't have that (advertisement issue). Not sure why. Must have done something early on to prevent it more or less permanently. If so I've no idea what I did.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jul 25 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #547

Master
Group Icon

Yeah, in between programs there's links to the app store.

it's kinda BS. I turned it off yesterday(again) but I expect it to be turned back on at the next update. As usual.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 25 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #548

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jul 25 2018, 11:07 AM) *

Yeah, in between programs there's links to the app store.

it's kinda BS. I turned it off yesterday(again) but I expect it to be turned back on at the next update. As usual.

Oooooooooh. <nods> I think I figured it out now. I never established an account with the store. Want no part of it. Therefore.....no adverts such as you get. Leastwise I assume that's the reason I don't get 'em. Didn't set up a One-Drive account either. Now if I could just permanently disable Cortana. Seems like every time I do so come next major Win10 update removes the means that let me jettison it. They really really to push that piece of excrement on us. It's a prime reason I never plus my PC mic in any more. The other is I don't use it now that I stopped voicing my infrequent YT vids.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 25 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #549

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jul 24 2018, 04:21 PM) *

I didn't mind Vista, only that it made obsolete the "Works For Windows" data processor program that I loved so much. I still use Windows 7 Pro = refused to update to Windows 8 or 10 when they came out. I'm really happy with 7, haven't had any issues so far with it!

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Jul 25 2018, 02:00 AM) *

That sounds like ad-ware, nothing should be popping up on your desktop from the OS. (some kind of "Malicious Software" maybe?).

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 25 2018, 07:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jul 25 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #550

Master
Group Icon

No it's literally garbage from the Windows app store.

My security is tighter than a miser's purse.

I don't have a Microsoft account, and I did manage to disable Cortana. I use my mic frequently (Discord, WoW raid guild) and she's never fired up.

When I first saw the ad for World of Tanks I was like wth, and got rid of them... til the next update.

We'll see if they stay gone. I disabled them again.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Kane
post Jul 25 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #551

Master
Group Icon

I was going to say that I've never seen that in Winny10, but I remembered that I have the Professional Edition. Much less bloatware, and I removed what was left of the stock apps with Power Shell.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Jul 25 2018, 08:43 PM
Post #552

Master
Group Icon

And it's not pop ups. Its stuff in between apps in my Start menu, and I had a couple in the tiles before I turned it off the very first time I booted the computer.

Yeah I'm using Home Edition. I had no choice in OS or I'd have stuck with 7.

This post has been edited by Sakiri: Jul 25 2018, 08:44 PM

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 26 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #553

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Regarding my issue with Duke Nukem 3D CTD-ing at certain points playing in Millennium. Could it be a memory issue that does it? It always crashes at specific points and unless I go to those specific points in a map, the game doesn't crash.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 26 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #554

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 26 2018, 05:51 AM) *

Regarding my issue with Duke Nukem 3D CTD-ing at certain points playing in Millennium. Could it be a memory issue that does it? It always crashes at specific points and unless I go to those specific points in a map, the game doesn't crash.

Just a thought.

When first released Skyrim used to crash (at one certain spot in one certain Dwemer ruin) every single time before Bethesda patched out what was causing it; and Fallout: New Vegas did after the player did certain quests to a certain stage of those quests = so is it possible your Duke nukem 3D game is unpatched? Look up just the CTD at that location on Google and see if there is any known issues and fixes for it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 26 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #555

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Found a link to Steam forum where they kinda talked about my problem. I'll see if I can copy someone's settings and maybe stabilize the game that way. Otherwise I'll try to look up a patch I downloaded, but it requires WinZip that may be expired on my computer.

Sigh. All this trouble just to casually blast monsters away every now and then only because I'm bored tongue.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
Kane
post Jul 26 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #556

Master
Group Icon

Install game on Win7 PC, set compatibility mode for ME, profit.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 26 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #557

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 26 2018, 10:33 AM) *

Found a link to Steam forum where they kinda talked about my problem. I'll see if I can copy someone's settings and maybe stabilize the game that way. Otherwise I'll try to look up a patch I downloaded, but it requires WinZip that may be expired on my computer.

Sigh. All this trouble just to casually blast monsters away every now and then only because I'm bored tongue.gif

As long as Chips Challenge is stable, the world is still good!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 27 2018, 10:36 AM
Post #558

Spam Meister
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 26 2018, 05:26 PM) *

Think I have to settle for Chip, changing the settings did nothing.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 27 2018, 12:47 PM
Post #559

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mirocu @ Jul 27 2018, 05:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 26 2018, 05:26 PM) *

Think I have to settle for Chip, changing the settings did nothing.

sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 27 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #560

Spam Meister
Group Icon

No problem is unsolveable, I'm just not sure what to do here. Also, I'm not sure how far I am willing to go for just this issue seeing how there are issues with other games as well.

I really do need my old puter back.

--------------------
Lol bird

+Quote Post

79 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:25 PM