Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
mALX
post Sep 10 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #3521

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2018, 02:39 PM) *

I agree, Hannibal is a very interesting character and Jodie Foster did a really good job (especially like when she is stumbling around in the dark at the end. The terror was real.)

Have you ever seen Taxi Driver with Robert Deniro? That movie featured a young Jodie Foster playing a jail bait prostitute laugh.gif

Yes, I think she won an award for that. But my favorite movie of all of hers was "Contact."

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2018, 04:36 PM) *

I saw A Quiet Place last night. I was disappointed, because the monsters were weak. The whole premise of the film is that monsters have wiped out the world, and just a few scattered survivors are left. The monsters are blind, and instead have hyper-hearing (though as it turns out, not hyper enough to hear someone breathing who is a few feet away). If someone makes a loud noise, any monster nearby comes barreling in and kills them. This is something they demonstrate early in the movie.

That got me thinking. Why not just dig a pit, fill it with spikes, and put a radio in it? The monsters would just run straight into it and impale themselves. Or why not just go to the side of a cliff, and do the same? They would all just run over the edge?

For a while I thought that the monsters might be bullet-proof. But at the end one is killed with a single shotgun blast (looked like a 12 gauge). So thinking conservatively, probably two or three 5.56 would put one down. Or one .308. And old Ma Deuce, well that would clearly rip them up just like a human. That is not even getting into 20mm gatling cannons, napalm, and 500 lbs bombs.

So how is it that these monsters wiped out most of the planet? I am not going to accuse the military of being a bunch of geniuses. I am pretty sure the US Army's first idea when faced with any threat is "shoot it". Turns out, that would work great! And the more noise you make doing it, the more monsters it would bring. This is very convenient, since you don't even have to hunt them down. They literally come running to their deaths like lemmings. There are not enough of them to simply overwhelm you with numbers, like zombies or xenomorphs do. There were only 2-3 of them in an area of several square miles in the film.

So I just could not take the movie seriously, since the monsters were just no threat. I could have wiped out all the ones in my city in just a few hours (longer if I took the time to dig some pits and sharpen up some stakes).

This had me in hysterics, boy would I love to watch a bad movie plot with you and hear your comments throughout! laugh.gif Your idea about the pit was spot on, I really wish the person who wrote the thing could hear you saying that, it would probably be like: "DOH! Why didn't I think of that?" rollinglaugh.gif

I don't know if the IQ ratio in Hollywood has declined or if they just think the public is so stupid they can't see plot holes a mile wide, but this movie could be a monument to either one, lol. Thanks for the review, that made my day even though I've never seen the movie, lol.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2018, 11:57 PM
Post #3522

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 10 2018, 03:36 PM) *

I saw A Quiet Place last night. I was disappointed, because the monsters were weak. The whole premise of the film is that monsters have wiped out the world, and just a few scattered survivors are left. The monsters are blind, and instead have hyper-hearing (though as it turns out, not hyper enough to hear someone breathing who is a few feet away). If someone makes a loud noise, any monster nearby comes barreling in and kills them. This is something they demonstrate early in the movie.

That got me thinking. Why not just dig a pit, fill it with spikes, and put a radio in it? The monsters would just run straight into it and impale themselves. Or why not just go to the side of a cliff, and do the same? They would all just run over the edge?

For a while I thought that the monsters might be bullet-proof. But at the end one is killed with a single shotgun blast (looked like a 12 gauge). So thinking conservatively, probably two or three 5.56 would put one down. Or one .308. And old Ma Deuce, well that would clearly rip them up just like a human. That is not even getting into 20mm gatling cannons, napalm, and 500 lbs bombs.

So how is it that these monsters wiped out most of the planet? I am not going to accuse the military of being a bunch of geniuses. I am pretty sure the US Army's first idea when faced with any threat is "shoot it". Turns out, that would work great! And the more noise you make doing it, the more monsters it would bring. This is very convenient, since you don't even have to hunt them down. They literally come running to their deaths like lemmings. There are not enough of them to simply overwhelm you with numbers, like zombies or xenomorphs do. There were only 2-3 of them in an area of several square miles in the film.

So I just could not take the movie seriously, since the monsters were just no threat. I could have wiped out all the ones in my city in just a few hours (longer if I took the time to dig some pits and sharpen up some stakes).

Yeah Khajiit remembers thinking that movie looked dumb when they were running trailers for it constantly when it was released. As for the military not being able to stop the monsters from wiping out most of humanity, this one can only assume the numbers of these things were ridiculously huge and they just “Zerg rushed” the world’s militaries. Some background would’ve been helpful

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 15 2018, 05:26 PM
Post #3523

Ancient
Group Icon

I have been watching (along with reading) The Terror. I am only two episodes in, but it is really good. Like the novel, the tv shows' attention to detail is fantastic. You can see the Preston Patent Illuminators built into the deck (basically little windows that project light down to the deck below). Everyone wears the Welsh Wigs (woolen caps), and so on. There are a lot of characters, and aside from the big three leaders it can be hard to keep track of who is who. Especially when they are bundled up in their outside slops.

The arctic looks amazing! It is the extra character in the show. Persephone would love it there. Cold, desolate, beautiful, and utterly unforgiving. The show really carries across how much the place does not want people to be there.

I really enjoy the whole man against nature presented here, and I remind myself that they had literally sailed off the edge of the map. They were the first Europeans to ever see this part of the world. They had no idea of what might be ahead of them. Except that somewhere out there was the fabled Northwest Passage, a way to sail to the Pacific. If they could escape the ice. The real world situation itself makes for an excellent story.

I am just getting to the actual Terror itself. Not the ship, but the thing on the ice that is hunting the crews of the two ships. So far it is vague, and horrific. It might be a white bear. But in the book it is plainly more than that, and so far the tv show has had a couple of supernatural elements already, with seamen seeing what appear to be ghosts. They have met the Inuit Lady Silence and her father, who seem inextricably tied to The Terror. Whether they are its enemy or ally remains to be seen. It is still very early yet, but it feels to me like The Terror is the rage of the Arctic itself. Incensed at the human interlopers, and relentlessly intent upon their extermination.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 15 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #3524

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 15 2018, 11:26 AM) *

I have been watching (along with reading) The Terror. I am only two episodes in, but it is really good. Like the novel, the tv shows' attention to detail is fantastic. You can see the Preston Patent Illuminators built into the deck (basically little windows that project light down to the deck below). Everyone wears the Welsh Wigs (woolen caps), and so on. There are a lot of characters, and aside from the big three leaders it can be hard to keep track of who is who. Especially when they are bundled up in their outside slops.

The arctic looks amazing! It is the extra character in the show. Persephone would love it there. Cold, desolate, beautiful, and utterly unforgiving. The show really carries across how much the place does not want people to be there.

I really enjoy the whole man against nature presented here, and I remind myself that they had literally sailed off the edge of the map. They were the first Europeans to ever see this part of the world. They had no idea of what might be ahead of them. Except that somewhere out there was the fabled Northwest Passage, a way to sail to the Pacific. If they could escape the ice. The real world situation itself makes for an excellent story.

I am just getting to the actual Terror itself. Not the ship, but the thing on the ice that is hunting the crews of the two ships. So far it is vague, and horrific. It might be a white bear. But in the book it is plainly more than that, and so far the tv show has had a couple of supernatural elements already, with seamen seeing what appear to be ghosts. They have met the Inuit Lady Silence and her father, who seem inextricably tied to The Terror. Whether they are its enemy or ally remains to be seen. It is still very early yet, but it feels to me like The Terror is the rage of the Arctic itself. Incensed at the human interlopers, and relentlessly intent upon their extermination.

What was that, AMC?

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 15 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #3525

Ancient
Group Icon

It was on AMC back in the spring. I bought it on blu-ray a few days ago.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 16 2018, 02:53 AM
Post #3526

Ancient
Group Icon

I am about half way through The Terror now. I think I am seeing the gist of the relationship between the Terror - which is called a Tuunbaq - and Lady Silence and her father.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 16 2018, 03:35 AM
Post #3527

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 15 2018, 02:09 PM) *

It was on AMC back in the spring. I bought it on blu-ray a few days ago.

Ok Khajiit thought he remembered that airing on AMC. This one had planned on checking it out but never did.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post

177 Pages V « < 175 176 177
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2018 - 06:14 PM