> Now Watching, Films/ movies discussion
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 8 2018, 06:37 AM
Post #3501

Ancient
Group Icon

The Fifth Element

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 8 2018, 04:32 PM
Post #3502

Ancient
Group Icon

"The Quick and the Dead" = Sharon Stone at her finest!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 8 2018, 05:02 PM
Post #3503

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 8 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Such a fun movie. It’s one of those movies that whenever Khajiit sees’s it on TV he has to watch it.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 8 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #3504

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 8 2018, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 8 2018, 10:32 AM) *

Such a fun movie. It’s one of those movies that whenever Khajiit sees’s it on TV he has to watch it.

Ditto! I've seen it at least a hundred times, and could watch it a hundred more!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 8 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #3505

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 8 2018, 11:32 AM) *

I loved that movie! It is a ton of fun!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 8 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #3506

Ancient
Group Icon

I just finished The Huntsman: Winter's War. It is not an especially good movie. But wow, the costumes are gorgeous! This movie made me fall in love with Emily Blunt.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 8 2018, 11:10 PM
Post #3507

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 8 2018, 05:07 PM) *

I just finished The Huntsman: Winter's War. It is not an especially good movie. But wow, the costumes are gorgeous! This movie made me fall in love with Emily Blunt.

Emily Blunt is attractive, fo sho.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 9 2018, 05:49 AM
Post #3508

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 8 2018, 06:07 PM) *

The trailer made me want to watch it! What was bad about it?

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2018, 02:39 PM
Post #3509

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 9 2018, 12:49 AM) *

It just doesn't seem inspired. It lacks a certain, something. It is more fun to look at - especially Emily Blunt - than anything else.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 9 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #3510

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2018, 08:39 AM) *

It just doesn't seem inspired. It lacks a certain, something. It is more fun to look at - especially Emily Blunt - than anything else.

Did you ever see the first one?

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 9 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #3511

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2018, 09:39 AM) *

It most definitely looked interesting to look at, but I do know what you mean about that feeling of inspired. Like when they do sequels they tend to be just trying to push quickly to catch the audiences that were excited still from the original (which actually was inspired) and milk as much money from them as they can before the viewer realizes (they are just riding the hype). So they throw some awesome graphics in to make up the deficit. (example: Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc). (or worse yet, D & D off GRRM's inspired story).

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 9 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #3512

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 9 2018, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2018, 08:39 AM) *

Did you ever see the first one?

I did see Snow White And The Huntsmen. It was decent. Charlize Theron was amazing in it. Too good in fact. Because I was rooting for her instead of Snow White. She was just a much more interesting character, and Charlize is such a better actress than that Twilight chick who played Snow White. Chris Hemsworth was fun. He was fun in Winter's War too. He is a cool guy to just watch. I think he'd be a fun to just hang out with.

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 9 2018, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2018, 09:39 AM) *

It most definitely looked interesting to look at, but I do know what you mean about that feeling of inspired. Like when they do sequels they tend to be just trying to push quickly to catch the audiences that were excited still from the original (which actually was inspired) and milk as much money from them as they can before the viewer realizes (they are just riding the hype). So they throw some awesome graphics in to make up the deficit. (example: Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc). (or worse yet, D & D off GRRM's inspired story).

That is kind of it. It's like Jaws 2, or Jurassic Park 2, or Iron Man2. It just falls short somehow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 9 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #3513

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 9 2018, 02:08 PM) *

*snip*
That is kind of it. It's like Jaws 2, or Jurassic Park 2, or Iron Man2. It just falls short somehow.

Understood. I really dread sequels, but always end up seeing them anyway if I loved the original; and usually come away with the same feeling of "... it was okay, but ..."

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 10 2018, 04:42 AM
Post #3514

Master
Group Icon

Just finished watching Blade Runner 2049. Such a wonderful movie!

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2018, 05:08 AM
Post #3515

Ancient
Group Icon

HBOZN is apparently having a serial killer movie mini marathon. Just watched Silence of the Lambs and now they are playing From Hell. Khajiit won’t be going to sleep for another couple of hours!

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 10 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #3516

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2018, 12:08 AM) *

HBOZN is apparently having a serial killer movie mini marathon. Just watched Silence of the Lambs and now they are playing From Hell. Khajiit won’t be going to sleep for another couple of hours!

If I watched it, I wouldn't be sleeping for a month! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2018, 03:46 PM
Post #3517

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 10 2018, 02:52 AM) *

Lol, oh they aren’t that bad.

Honestly, Khajiit has never found Hannibal Lecter all that creepy. Dangerous yes, but he’s really straight forward. The creepier things in SotL didn’t really involve him. Like Agent Starling’s boss at the FBI, Mr. Crawford. The way that guy looked at her and acted was just creepy to this one for some reason. Though it may have been because of the habit of the camera doing close ups on people’s faces during conversations that came off as weird.

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 10 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #3518

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2018, 10:46 AM) *

Honestly, Khajiit has never found Hannibal Lecter all that creepy. Dangerous yes, but he’s really straight forward. The creepier things in SotL didn’t really involve him. Like Agent Starling’s boss at the FBI, Mr. Crawford. The way that guy looked at her and acted was just creepy to this one for some reason. Though it may have been because of the habit of the camera doing close ups on people’s faces during conversations that came off as weird.

The biting the face off of that guy still haunts me; but the worst thing to me was how he so slickly brought Agent Starling into trusting him to the point that she endangered herself despite all the warnings she had. He became so likeable that it blurred the lines and made him such a gray character that the evil in him was completely undescernable until he actually acted, and then it was like: "GAAAAAAH!"

I thought Hannibal was one of the best written bad guys in Hollywood; and even based the antagonist in my fic on him (Dagoth-Malan).

I think the boss kept looking at her like that because he could see she was falling under Hannibal's spell and ignoring all the warnings of known stuff about him, but I thought he couldn't tell if she was putting on an act to get Hannibal to trust her (as she was instructed to do) or if she was actually trusting Hannibal and going against all her FBI training in ignoring the protocols she was given for handling Hannibal. (at least that is what I thought was going through his head, but I could be wrong).

I don't like horror or thriller type movies because if they are good enough to scare me, I may not sleep afterward, lol. But the reason I ended up watching the Silencing of the Lambs was because Jodie Foster was in it. Jodie Foster has always been one of my all time favorite actresses, and if she is in something I will usually watch it; and haven't been disappointed yet. Her eyes are spectacularly expressive, and they make every role she plays feel believable. The chemistry between her character and Hannibal in this movie made the movie greater than it might have been with another actress that couldn't bring us through her inner turmoil as thoroughly as Jodie Foster was able to. (imho).

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 10 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #3519

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Sep 10 2018, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(TheCheshireKhajiit @ Sep 10 2018, 10:46 AM) *

The biting the face off of that guy still haunts me; but the worst thing to me was how he so slickly brought Agent Starling into trusting him to the point that she endangered herself despite all the warnings she had. He became so likeable that it blurred the lines and made him such a gray character that the evil in him was completely undescernable until he actually acted, and then it was like: "GAAAAAAH!"

I thought Hannibal was one of the best written bad guys in Hollywood; and even based the antagonist in my fic on him (Dagoth-Malan).

I think the boss kept looking at her like that because he could see she was falling under Hannibal's spell and ignoring all the warnings of known stuff about him, but I thought he couldn't tell if she was putting on an act to get Hannibal to trust her (as she was instructed to do) or if she was actually trusting Hannibal and going against all her FBI training in ignoring the protocols she was given for handling Hannibal. (at least that is what I thought was going through his head, but I could be wrong).

I don't like horror or thriller type movies because if they are good enough to scare me, I may not sleep afterward, lol. But the reason I ended up watching the Silencing of the Lambs was because Jodie Foster was in it. Jodie Foster has always been one of my all time favorite actresses, and if she is in something I will usually watch it; and haven't been disappointed yet. Her eyes are spectacularly expressive, and they make every role she plays feel believable. The chemistry between her character and Hannibal in this movie made the movie greater than it might have been with another actress that couldn't bring us through her inner turmoil as thoroughly as Jodie Foster was able to. (imho).

I agree, Hannibal is a very interesting character and Jodie Foster did a really good job (especially like when she is stumbling around in the dark at the end. The terror was real.)

Have you ever seen Taxi Driver with Robert Deniro? That movie featured a young Jodie Foster playing a jail bait prostitute laugh.gif

--------------------
-Dhaunayne Aundae

+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 10 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #3520

Ancient
Group Icon

I saw A Quiet Place last night. I was disappointed, because the monsters were weak. The whole premise of the film is that monsters have wiped out the world, and just a few scattered survivors are left. The monsters are blind, and instead have hyper-hearing (though as it turns out, not hyper enough to hear someone breathing who is a few feet away). If someone makes a loud noise, any monster nearby comes barreling in and kills them. This is something they demonstrate early in the movie.

That got me thinking. Why not just dig a pit, fill it with spikes, and put a radio in it? The monsters would just run straight into it and impale themselves. Or why not just go to the side of a cliff, and do the same? They would all just run over the edge?

For a while I thought that the monsters might be bullet-proof. But at the end one is killed with a single shotgun blast (looked like a 12 gauge). So thinking conservatively, probably two or three 5.56 would put one down. Or one .308. And old Ma Deuce, well that would clearly rip them up just like a human. That is not even getting into 20mm gatling cannons, napalm, and 500 lbs bombs.

So how is it that these monsters wiped out most of the planet? I am not going to accuse the military of being a bunch of geniuses. I am pretty sure the US Army's first idea when faced with any threat is "shoot it". Turns out, that would work great! And the more noise you make doing it, the more monsters it would bring. This is very convenient, since you don't even have to hunt them down. They literally come running to their deaths like lemmings. There are not enough of them to simply overwhelm you with numbers, like zombies or xenomorphs do. There were only 2-3 of them in an area of several square miles in the film.

So I just could not take the movie seriously, since the monsters were just no threat. I could have wiped out all the ones in my city in just a few hours (longer if I took the time to dig some pits and sharpen up some stakes).

--------------------
+Quote Post

202 Pages V « < 174 175 176 177 178 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:04 PM