Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Heroes, Are there any in Skyrim?
Acadian
post Apr 17 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Paladin
Group Icon

As the song says. . . I need a hero! Are there any such NPCs in Skyrim? To me the term implies noble, selfless bravery and leadership under both physical and moral duress.

In Oblivion, Buffy found Savlian Matius and Sir Mazoga to be the stuff that true heroes are made of. According to Sir Mazoga’s accounts, we understand that Emperor Martin Septim was also of the same noble, selfless cloth and was a hero. I think that Savlian and Martin’s credentials are clearly presented in the game. I admit that Sir Mazoga’s credentials are more questionable without the massive dose of RP / fanfic that Buffy and I have applied to her – for in Buffy’s world, Sir Mazoga is ‘The Chosen One’ / Champion of Cyrodiil.

Buffy has encountered two NPCs in Skyrim she would readily call heroes. Mjoll the Lioness as the brave protector of Riften and Captain Modyn Veleth – the relentless captain of the Redoran guards in Raven Rock on the Isle of Solstheim. I admit some of Buffy’s opinion of Modyn Veleth was influenced by the same factor that caused her to admire Savlian Matius – she was attracted to him. Alas though, Veleth is ‘taken’ by another elven lass in Raven Rock and Buffy is not a love poacher.

She felt initially that both Vilkas and Farkas might have hero potential, but when push came to shove, both of them wimped out leaving Buffy and Aela to do the dangerous stuff. Of the Companions, it is only Aela who has potential as a heroic leader. She does smell a bit of wet fur though. . . .

Serana seems rather noble, brave and determined to not let her own family clan destroy the sun – driven by a ‘heroic’ destiny? Buffy did grow to trust Serana – with her life - and willing to follow her into some very disturbing places. A vampiric heroine seems more than a bit ironic though. . . .

So are there any heroes in Skyrim among the vanilla NPCs?

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SubRosa
post May 27 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

What I do not like about Elisif is how wonderful she thinks the Thalmor's parties are. Nevermind all of her subjects being tortured down in the basement...

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post May 29 2015, 03:49 AM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ May 27 2015, 03:27 PM) *

What I do not like about Elisif is how wonderful she thinks the Thalmor's parties are. Nevermind all of her subjects being tortured down in the basement...

What? Really? I haven't sneaked into that palace (or actually, any of them in Skyrim yet) - did not know about that! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Destri Melarg @ May 27 2015, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ May 21 2015, 03:07 PM) *

I vote for Elisif the Fair. She is like a cat that always lands on its feet; and regardless the politics swirling around her and her own inexperience she is the position of possibly becoming the next Monarch. She is loyal to her husband, to his beliefs whether she admits to them for herself or not. She is loyal to her country, her people, her empire. She is just heroic enough to pull it off, and just hope that those in power don't take advantage of her when she makes it.

Funny how we can have such different perceptions of the same person. I have always seen Elisif as being a little like Captain Renault in Casablanca in the sense that she goes whichever way the wind(read: player) blows. She will remain loyal to the Empire if you choose that side in the Civil War, but she will also proclaim her loyalty to Ulfric if you support the Stormcloaks. The first time you meet her she wants to send an entire detachment of soldiers to check out 'noises' coming from a cave on the say of a farmer from Dragon Bridge. Can you imagine if said noises had turned out to be an elk? biggrin.gif

Any way the wind blows - yes, that is kind of what I said - she is like a cat that always lands on its feet. A cat's primary concern is for its own survival; but they can and do have secondary concerns for others - she does. But she will do whatever it takes to survive, and if that means not facing off with Ulfric (who had no qualms about murdering her husband) - then she won't face off with him.

But she has private thoughts that are totally at odds with the public image she portrays - example: making sure her husbands Amulet of Talos be brought to the shrine of Talos. That was a huge risk in her position, which is probably why she entrusted the task to the Player instead of someone in her own palace who may or may not be loyal since someone let the assassins in to kill her husband.

This post has been edited by mALX: May 29 2015, 03:51 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Acadian   Heroes   Apr 17 2015, 03:04 PM
ghastley   I'd suggest Karliah, who's working against...   Apr 17 2015, 04:21 PM
SubRosa   Skyrim's characters have a lot more shades of ...   Apr 17 2015, 05:22 PM
Acadian   Ghastley, I've spent a fair amount of time in ...   Apr 17 2015, 06:10 PM
SubRosa   Not to mention that Buffy thinks, given a bath, h...   Apr 17 2015, 06:18 PM
Acadian   What a great shot! Heh, Buffy gets that a l...   Apr 17 2015, 07:42 PM
Grits   Off the top of my head I’d have to add Storn...   Apr 17 2015, 09:14 PM
Acadian   Grits, I do agree with you and that is why the civ...   Apr 17 2015, 10:00 PM
ghastley   Can we all agree that it's probably not Lurbuk...   Apr 17 2015, 10:04 PM
SubRosa   Let's not forget that cool Man Lizard in Black...   Apr 17 2015, 11:09 PM
SubRosa   Oh, and this topic needs music :)   Apr 18 2015, 12:15 AM
haute ecole rider   Reading through this topic has made me realize tha...   Apr 18 2015, 02:16 AM
Grits   Sign me up for team Meeko. That pup was a faithful...   Apr 18 2015, 03:28 PM
Lopov   I'd say that the first Nord that gets decapita...   Apr 18 2015, 08:39 PM
Destri Melarg   I'm surprised that Isran's name hasn't...   May 21 2015, 08:00 PM
mALX   I vote for Elisif the Fair. She is like a cat th...   May 21 2015, 11:07 PM
Destri Melarg   I vote for Elisif the Fair. She is like a cat t...   May 27 2015, 08:09 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:07 AM