3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Diablo 1, Yes, it belongs here!
ghastley
post Aug 19 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #21

Councilor
Group Icon

Added nav-mesh and a few skeletons to the Crypt. Started on the clutter, adding hay bedrolls, buckets to the cells in the jail section, a few pots, crates and baskets in the jail kitchen, and candle sconces and lights throughout. The Abyss section got roombounds around each separate section, to help rendering performance. It needs cluttering, too. I'm avoiding the usual rubble, even though I'm using "ruins" tilesets, I think Beth overdid it in most cases, and I'm looking for a mis-use, not a dis-use, vibe.

I tried out the Abyss without godmode, and it's possible, but a challenge. Sneaky archer will probably do best. The final lair needs godmode right now, but I'm using a low-level test PC, so it may not be realistic. The Crypt only has level 1 enemies, and is intended to be easy. It will get some scene-setting additions to give clues to what comes later, generally in side-paths that don't exist yet.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 9 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #22

Councilor
Group Icon

I need to do some work on the Quest next. The keys to various doors need to be placed, and the enable/disable for the book doors in the Abyss level needs adding.

The big problem is finding a reason for the player to go and find the Monastery in the first place. I probably need an NPC quest-giver who's missing Greta.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 20 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #23

Councilor
Group Icon

I have several mini-boss characters built for side-lairs, but haven't created their parts of the dungeon yet. So far, there's just the Red Vex and BlackJade halls as ante-rooms to the laboratory/torture chamber of Leveque Lazare (who needs a new robe). The existing two use fire and frost, and have matching attendants, so I'd want to do similar for shock, and maybe a mix, to prevent the player from making assumptions.

However, other than boss chests of loot, I don't have a good reason for the player to go visit them. I suppose they could hold keys to the main path, maybe like the skulls used in one of the dragon priest lairs (Otar the Mad). Fetch and place is a common meme, but I'd like a new variation on it.

I think the skulls and their receptacles may be adaptable to use elsewhere, and the sarcophagus they locked was a regular dragon priest one. If so, they might just open a rotating wall, or similar.

Everything is avoiding the Nord theme, and replacing it with a necromantic, Clavicus Vile one. So animal symbol puzzles aren't an option. Skull sockets are much better.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 20 2019, 02:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 25 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #24

Councilor
Group Icon

I've been poking around to find the dungeon that had rotating doors turning a section of corridors into a mutable maze, and I think it was Dead Man's Respite. I want to re-use that idea to shut off the two mini-boss lairs where you'll get the skull keys to unlock a door on the main path. I'll be building back from the current entrance to the penultimate level, and moving that as I go.

I don't want to have Succubi in any earlier levels, (and those may never get added anyway). so all this is in the same one. Except that I'm reconsidering in the light of Diablo having the first Succubi appear one level before Hell in the last of the Caves. I might just have Falmer, Chaurus, Gargoyles and Succubi in a level of caves in mine. Gargoyles would add a dependency on Dawguard, but that's not a major drawback.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Sep 26 2019, 02:42 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 30 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

Decent progress: I constructed the rotating doors section, using Nordic small hall, rather than catacombs sections, so it matches the rest of the level. Then I hung two lairs for the Succubus min-bosses off the sides of that. I cloned the whole first lair and just rotated it for the second, but I could go back and do a unique one later. Only enough nav-mesh to support the Succubi at present, and the hallways still need to be done.

No lights, clutter etc. I'll do that after the switches are all wired up to the doors, and the path checked out.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 30 2019, 08:31 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

Can't wait to see this when it's done haha.

Will there be a SSE version or will I need to download LE?

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 30 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #27

Councilor
Group Icon

I always build in LE, as you can convert up to SE, but not the other way. So the LE version will be first to beta, but if I know you need an SE copy then I can convert straight away, instead of waiting for release.

It's about 10% done so far. Half the zones, incomplete nav-meshes, no clutter, not enough lights, and the room bounds are missing their portals. I need a new outfit for the necromancer boss.

Added to that, I unblocked Orc Heartfires' extension, so that's taking my time, too.

Still, I may be able to cobble a teaser together soon, once the main pieces are linked up. Before 2025, anyway.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 1 2019, 08:49 AM
Post #28

Master
Group Icon

Haha!

Well, I'm definitely interested in seeing what you can cobble together. wink.gif

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 1 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #29

Councilor
Group Icon

A lot of frustrating attempts with rotating doors led me to discover that they have to be installed upside-down to work properly. ohmy.gif It's the way they're installed everywhere, as it appears that the zone-builders didn't get to send the pieces back for correction.

Now I have to determine the quirks of the two-skull lock mechanism I decided to use. The idea there was to make sure you complete the two side-chambers before proceeding to the next part, by making you collect the skulls. I probably have to re-write the script to do that, as it seems to rely on the quest to activate the next piece. Nothing is ever simple!

The Succubi need adjustments to their health, so a stealth Archer can't just one-shot them before they're detected. I can't find a decent tutorial on enemy balance, so I may have to create one.

I also have to make myself finish this level before I start work on another.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Oct 1 2019, 05:19 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 1 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #30

Master
Group Icon

Stealth archers tend to be frail; mine wears cloth. I wouldn't make them so ran my and have a super high detection due to that. Mages are often squishy.

It's a delicate balance. Maybe make enough hiding spots that an archer could work in the shadows from, or need invis pots.

I'm willing to see what you come up with if you need a playtest dummy.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 2 2019, 02:58 PM
Post #31

Councilor
Group Icon

The skull lock I lifted from Ragnvald has given me a lot of issues. I wanted the two skulls to be the death items of the Succubus mini-bosses but the skulls have to exist when the lock script is compiled. That meant putting them on pedestals, guarded by the Succubi, so no big deal. At least it makes more sense than the original, where you battle the (intact) owners of the skulls while they sat in plain view nearby. In my case, I'm not implying that the skulls come from the Succubi.

Now the lock doesn't activate the door. I suspect that it will only respond to an activate parent, so I'll have to bridge with a TrapLinker. The book doors in the next area will probably need one, too, to handle the enable/disable mechanism.

And then there's the nav-mesh, clutter and lighting. And playing ESO.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 2 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Haha can't spend ALL your time modding. Gotta get some quality game time in.

Could always put up a youtube video of what you got done when it's in a viable enough preview state.

I'm curious as to how the monster NPCs are looking.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 2 2019, 05:58 PM
Post #33

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Oct 2 2019, 10:22 AM) *

I'm curious as to how the monster NPCs are looking.

The succubi haven't changed significantly from the pictures in the first post, except for losing the black rectangles, and getting gloves. biggrin.gif

Lazare is due for a new outfit, as he's currently in a placeholder blue mage one, like the court wizards. The Diablo Archbishop was an Advocate, so he needs a priest-like robe, staff as main weapon, and I'll probably try to copy Orchendor's teleportation trick, as that matches the Diablo character's behaviour.

Draugr are vanilla, and all my test runs were at low level, so I don't have screen shots of the succubi with the high-level draugr deathlords that resemble the Diablo Black Knights etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 3 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #34

Councilor
Group Icon

Another creature I'd like to add is the Fire Drake and its kin. They're the equivalent of Tsaesci, being snake-bodied, but having arms that can use swords. However, I can't find a decent model and animations, so it's not looking likely.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 5 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Sadface sad.gif

I'd help but I don't quite get 3D modelling. I've done it a little, but I just don't "get" it.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 7 2019, 02:29 PM
Post #36

Councilor
Group Icon

I nav-meshed the catacombs, and wired up the lock puzzles. That was the easy part, and when nav-mesh is easy ... ohmy.gif

A lot of time was spent figuring out how to capture the death of a leveled character, as the mini-bosses control the book doors to access the Succubus factory. I had to make them aliases of a hidden quest to do that, and even then it wasn't obvious how.

And I made a start on the documentation. The quest that drives it all is only half-formed, so its page is vestigial. Since I put the Monastery at the edge of the map, it probably needs a start for the quest in one of the main cities, or you might never find it. Once you get there, you have to find a key, unlock the crypt, go follow the path down to the Abyss (which may go through multiple levels eventually) and then that level is a maze of corridors, with rotating doors that send you all over the place.

And of course, boobies everywhere. They start in the Monastery, and continue up to the final boss. Azura and Nocturnal come to assist, and let's say they've got into the swing of things, too. The documentation reflects that, so follow the link only if you're not offended. Expect broken links, as it's under construction still.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 8 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

Not bad. The succubus model doesn't look terrible, so that's a plus in my book.

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 8 2019, 03:39 PM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

The intent was to match the proportions of the original sprites

IPB Image

That precludes too much exaggeration.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Oct 8 2019, 03:45 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 10 2019, 04:51 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

I've reached the point where I have to decide if Azura and Nocturnal are really needed. If I keep them, I don't see any way to avoid them having dialogue, and that means voice acting. So far, the rest of the mod can run from notes, journals etc.

I intend for the start to be from adding a rescue quest to the radiant Bounty Quests list, on a one-time basis. You would get a flyer from an innkeeper, and claim the final reward from the hold steward. I'm not sure whether this location is Markarth or Falkreath, but that's not a major issue. The dialogue for completion is generic enough for this.

However, my feeling is that it would take a Daedric Prince to undo the Succubus conversion process, and was planning their intervention in person, to add more eye-candy. Even if they don't make an appearance, you'd need a voice, so they may as well be there. Not having them would require an extra MacGuffin to enable her reversion to normal, which could be an item the player finds along the way down, or in the lab. But then there's the "how did that get there?" issues, to avoid it being too artificial. Just bringing in the Princesses seems easiest.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Oct 10 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Well I'm terrible at voice acting or I'd offer. Too manly as a woman I think.

This post has been edited by Sakiri: Oct 10 2019, 06:22 PM

--------------------
We will be your light
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:49 PM