I'm terrified of them. [ 1 ] ** [2.70%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Decrepit
post Apr 4 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #81

Master
Group Icon

Nasty storms moving through. Thankfully, I got home from my dental appointment before they moved into my immediate area. So far the worst here (so far as I know) has been hail that hit us a short time ago. Wasn't large size so I doubt it did any real harm. <crosses fingers> We're still under warnings, but most of the scariest threats are now to our east....I hope.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 23 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #82

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Apr 3 2018, 07:04 PM) *

Nasty storms moving through. Thankfully, I got home from my dental appointment before they moved into my immediate area. So far the worst here (so far as I know) has been hail that hit us a short time ago. Wasn't large size so I doubt it did any real harm. <crosses fingers> We're still under warnings, but most of the scariest threats are now to our east....I hope.

Since this is the first time I've seen that you all necromanced this thread last year, I'm joining you in it! laugh.gif

There wasn't an option on that poll for just hating them; it jumped from "nuisance" to "terrified," well I think there should have been a "don't like" or "hate them" option added to that poll.

I don't like them at all, and at their worst I hate them. In both TN and FL I've seen roofs ripped right off buildings in storms. I've lost a friend to lightning in FL, and had another friend in TN that lived through it but it was only through years of hospitalization and plenty of prayers. I lost two of my producing apple trees and one young peach tree to lightning, and seen it blow transformers down a highway I was driving down once = that was terrifying, no matter how fast I drove to get away from them they were exploding near my car; and I wanted out of there before the storm caught me.

Thunder also = makes something inside me jump if it is loud. And I've never owned a dog or cat that wasn't terrified by lightning and thunderstorms, so I take that as instincts for survival telling the animals these storms are dangerous = I agree. I don't like having my electricity go off in a storm at all; won't get out in them unless forced. Hate driving in them, too many times I've seen big trees felled in the roads here in TN.

So I'm sending you my very best wishes that everything came out all right from this storm.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 24 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #83

Master
Group Icon

Yikes! Was dressed in walking attire and headed for the front door. Heard ominous sounds of thunder rumbling in the distance. Decided to check local weather online. Turns out we are in the midst of a severe storm warning, with my town in its direct path. Damaging wind and potential torrential rains. It's due to hit any time now. Hmm...I think I hear what might be the start of rain. With my hearing ya never know for sure. <leaves desk to look out a window>
Yup, raining. Not heavily...yet. (I must have heard a brief heavy squall. I heard nothing now other than my ears ringing.) So much for my morning walk, unless this proves a short lived event and does me no harm. One can hope.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jun 24 2018, 12:28 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 24 2018, 12:43 PM
Post #84

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 24 2018, 07:27 AM) *

Yikes! Was dressed in walking attire and headed for the front door. Heard ominous sounds of thunder rumbling in the distance. Decided to check local weather online. Turns out we are in the midst of a severe storm warning, with my town in its direct path. Damaging wind and potential torrential rains. It's due to hit any time now. Hmm...I think I hear what might be the start of rain. With my hearing ya never know for sure. <leaves desk to look out a window>
Yup, raining. Not heavily...yet. (I must have heard a brief heavy squall. I heard nothing now other than my ears ringing.) So much for my morning walk, unless this proves a short lived event and does me no harm. One can hope.

Gaaah, you don't unplug your computer in a storm? Good luck with being safe with that bad forcast, I hope both you and your Brother fair well through it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 24 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #85

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 24 2018, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 24 2018, 07:27 AM) *

Gaaah, you don't unplug your computer in a storm? Good luck with being safe with that bad forcast, I hope both you and your Brother fair well through it!

Unplug my PC? Not this time. The hazards of this particular storm don't seem the sort that might damage it. In any case, the warning is now expired. Thunder still rumbles in the distance, but it's apparently passed through and headed away. No damage done that I can tell from inside the house. I hope to get in my walk if I can leave home before it gets too hot.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Jun 24 2018, 01:58 PM
Post #86

Master
Group Icon

Had a couple of good ones rolled in these past couple of days...Loved every bit of it.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jun 24 2018, 10:24 PM
Post #87

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jun 24 2018, 08:58 AM) *

Had a couple of good ones rolled in these past couple of days...Loved every bit of it.

I hate thunder and lightning; so does my dog. Not fond of rain, either = but without the first two it is tolerable. My dog agrees.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Jun 25 2018, 12:00 AM
Post #88

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Jun 24 2018, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Dark Reaper @ Jun 24 2018, 08:58 AM) *

I hate thunder and lightning; so does my dog. Not fond of rain, either = but without the first two it is tolerable. My dog agrees.

Khajiit’s little dog runs and hides when she even thinks it’s raining (because in her little dog mind rain=thunder storm). The 20+ year old cat sleeps through it all and then wakes up questioning you where his dinner is laugh.gif

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jun 29 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #89

Master
Group Icon

Yikes. "Excessive Heat Warning" in affect much of today, with heat index around 110F. Gonna head out for my walk soon as I post this. Wanna get it out of the way early as possible, before it becomes super duper hot.

ADDENDUM:
I'm back. Had I not seen today's forecast I'd not suspect we're due for a scorcher. Weather was pleasantly mild (for this time of year) the entire walk. The sun was up when I left the house, but not yet above rooftops. It hadn't risen much higher at walk's end.
Recent walks haven't been as energetic as they were not long ago because, I surmise, I had to abandon rowing machine arm pulls and sit-ups. Which reminds me I need to resume dumbbell exercises. (It can be said that any exercise I do is a dumbbell exercise, but we'll ignore that.)

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jun 29 2018, 12:43 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jun 29 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #90

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Jun 29 2018, 07:02 AM) *

Which reminds me I need to resume dumbbell exercises. (It can be said that any exercise I do is a dumbbell exercise, but we'll ignore that.)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

It's been hot up here but not that hot. We're in the 90s this week though. Yuck.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 2 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #91

Master
Group Icon

Another day, another Excessive Heat Warning. From circa 10am until around sunset. They never end, it seems. Super hot. Super muggy. Non existent Climate Change is the gift that keeps on giving. You can bet I'll head out for my exercise-walk in a few minutes.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jul 2 2018, 12:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 8 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #92

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Got some thunder this weekend, followed by some rain (!) which was much needed to say the least.

But we need more, much more. Ugh indifferent.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jul 14 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #93

Master
Group Icon

Man o man. By 0700 it's gonna be 90F! Gonna get today's exercise-walk out of the way soon as it's light enough outside to hopefully not get ran over. Need to mow this evening. That's not gonna be pleasant. Can't really postpone it as we've a string of storm days beginning tomorrow. By the time that ends and ground dries grass would be too high.

ADDENDUM:
Done! Finished my walk at 0615. Wish the lawn was dry enough to mow this time of day. Be great to get that out of the way while temp is still bearable.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Jul 14 2018, 12:37 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Dec 1 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #94

Master
Group Icon

Lots of thunder rumblings at the moment. Checked online. We're subject to heavy storms for a while and under a tornado watch until roughly 8am.

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Dec 1 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #95

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Decrepit @ Dec 1 2018, 04:31 AM) *

Lots of thunder rumblings at the moment. Checked online. We're subject to heavy storms for a while and under a tornado watch until roughly 8am.

It’s these crap unseasonably warm temps we are getting. It’s in the 70’s(F) here in Khajiit’s town which has led to some thunder, gusty winds, and of course, the possibility of tornadoes.

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 4 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #96

Master
Group Icon

No T-storms today, but darn cold temps!!!!! In the teens with "feels like" in the single digits! Brrrrrr.... Naturally it's grocery day. I could put it off until tomorrow, but temps then are predicted to be only a few degrees higher than today. So off I go in a few minutes. I'm dressed for the occasion. Insulated top and bottom undies. Two layers of socks, jeans, sweat shirt. old military field jacket, neck scarf, light toboggan, heavy toboggan over it. Thick gloves. Roads aren't iced. My car windshields don't need scraping. Should be okay, barring misfortune? One possible problem. The latch of my front driver-side car door sometimes won't catch in place during super cold weather. That door won't stay closed when that happens. Not a good situation to be in. We shall see.

The tie-in to this thread is that by Thursday temps are in the sixties!, and we experience our first days-long series of potential severe T-storms that herald the beginning to Tornado Season.

Addendum:
Back! Nothing to it. Frankly, I'm rather we had these cold temps for the next some months rather than suffer through tornado season. Well, so long as there are no big winter storms to contend with. We've not had one of those in years.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Mar 4 2019, 04:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 11 2019, 02:44 AM
Post #97

Master
Group Icon

By the time it arrived, our first severe storms threat this spring had shrunk from days to a 3-4 hour window early one afternoon. Turned out to be much ado about nothing. The local TV station ran solid weather coverage two expended periods, and our "city" warning siren sounded for a grand total of 4-5 seconds. We were on the edge of the storm front, the nasty stuff traveling northeastward just to our south. Some pretty hard rain is about all we suffered.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Jul 30 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #98

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Enjoyed some thunder last night. Pitch black, no rain, no wind. Just some lightning in the far distance coupled with some soft booms. Amazing.

And now we have gentle but steady rain - PERFECT! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Jan 14 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #99

Master
Group Icon

Was worried when nasty storms moved through much of the country late last week. We were at first predicted to be on its outer edge, thus face only a minimal risk of severe weather. Friday, predictions were revised, putting us at high risk. Our 'bad time' was expected to be early Saturday, with the front due to move beyond us to the east by 5-7am. Took what precautions I could, which is next to none. Woke Saturday morning to find nothing amiss. It definitely rained heavily during the night, but I, of course, heard none of it.

In the end, the storm adversely affected me in one way only. I should have uploaded a TpF Scenic Excursions episode overnight, timed for publication 0345 Saturday. I didn't dare, fearing electrical outage or worse. I'm not going to try again until this coming Friday evening. On average, I get a few more views when a video is published at the start of a weekend. Since TpF2's release, interest in my TpF1 video has dropped significantly. I get nowhere near the views I used to, and I never got many. An irony is that I originally planned to upload the video in question Thursday night, set for Saturday morning publication. When the time came that evening I was too sleepy to mess with it, so postponed until Friday, not foreseeing the severe weather threat escalation.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Mar 29 2020, 01:34 AM
Post #100

Master
Group Icon

Gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! panic.gif

Holy crappoli! Strong tornado plowed through a portion of the city 8-10 miles away this afternoon. The city where I do all my shopping, have medical appointments, etc. The city where my Brother lives.

I watched it on TV from start to finish, having been alerted to possible severe weather at my online-weather-site-of-choice. Turned on my local TV station. Solid severe weather reporting, to the exclusion of all else, which is still going on. The tornado was first reported south of us, heading Northeast. The funnel then disappeared. Our weatherman said not to trust it, as it looked as if it would reform, possibly over the city. Which is exactly what happened. Class 3 or 4 was his guess, not yet confirmed. They had a live-cam active, pointed at the storm cloud. We saw the funnel reform, touch the ground, and carve a path through the city, debris flying. Darn scary! The city's big mall, where I worked some years ago, was hit hard. Among stores receiving the most damage, our area's only book store, and Best Buy. (A little sad irony, when talking on the phone earlier today, pre storm, with my brother, he mentioned the that only reason the visit the mall these days is its book store. I agreed. So much for mall visits.)

I called my bro soon as it was safe after the tornado passed beyond the city. He's okay, as is his property.

I'm fine too. Well, as fine as a decrepit person can be. My little town was at first included the tornado's possible path, but it ended up passing us to the east.

I suspect clips of this to appear on YouTube, but at the moment my internet is responding at a snail's pass. Oh...here it is...what we saw as the tornado touched down and passed through the city!

(YouTube Video) KAIT8 ABC live shot from Skycam of Jonesboro AR tornado, March 28th 2020 (YouTube video)

--------------------
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:18 PM