255 Pages V « < 203 204 205 206 207 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What are you playing?
Decrepit
post Aug 16 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #4081

Master
Group Icon

Been playing a good bit of Daggerfall Unity. Details on that are moved to the appropriate forum/thread.

Transport Fever wise, I've been putzing around. Mostly adding scenic detail along several train routes near Goodstown Factory and Chesham Steel Mill. Transformed a section of track with unnecessary rising then falling slope into a more or less level 'cut.' Am nowhere near having a route polished enough to 'film' as a Scenic Excursions episode.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 18 2019, 03:50 PM
Post #4082

Master
Group Icon

I at last drummed up courage to reattempt Trainz 2019 Flying Scotsman session. Boy is it LONG, a great plus in my book. Sadly, I don't know exactly how long, as the session clock didn't read amount of time played. My guess is 3 - 3 1/2hrs. Unlike my brief first attempt, I completed the drive without incident. Was likely over cautious when executing station slowdowns/stops. Better safe than sorry!

This isn't one of the better scenically detailed TRS2019 sessions. I'm pretty sure it's a carryover from TANE or earlier. Wish they'd do a better job 'updating' these older sessions when sold as TSR 2019 DLC. But hey, it cost me $0.89US during Steam Summer Sale. At that price it easily justifies its existence. And scenery isn't bad, just dated. I'd dearly love to be able to create routes that long in Transport Fever! Speaking of which...

TpF wise, I'm slightly revising scenery along the passenger route ridden SRA episode 13. The line was recently extended to Chesham. That stretch of new track lacks scenery except a bit near Chesham. Not sure I'll tackle that project any time soon, if ever. We shall see.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 21 2019, 09:17 PM
Post #4083

Master
Group Icon

Just attempted a TRS19 session that ended in failure before it really began. My first tasks were to prepare my train before hitting the road....errrr, tracks. Needed to do some 'shunting' work. Put wagons together in the proper order. I tend to confine myself to passenger runs in TRS19, so am not yet overly comfortable with freight unless instructions are crystal clear. They weren't, or so I felt. It soon became obvious I was hosed. I suppose I could have made a learning experience of it and tried to undo the damage. Decided to throw in the towel and start afresh later today or maybe tomorrow.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2019, 11:01 AM
Post #4084

Master
Group Icon

A new TpF Scenic Excursions episode hits the fan. Rather than blabber on about it, I refer you to the video's YouTube description for non-juicy details:

Transport Fever Scenic Excursions ep24 - Steel for Goodstown Factory

TRS19 wise, I again failed the freight mission reported on several days ago. Got further along this time, only to crash and burn at the train's first official stop. Speaking of which, here's a video of someone attempting the session who fares better than me. (He does, however, make a few minor mistakes along the way.) TRS19's graphical strengths and weaknesses are on display. The sessions itself is visually one of best I own. Though obviously not modern state-of-the-art, it looks plenty good enough to pass muster. My main visual gripes are that, for whatever reason, road vehicles are static rather than move. Not a lease breaker by any means, but why? I've sessions where they DO move (when appropriate). Oddest, at least one airplane is seen frozen in air. But again, overall I'm quite pleased with visuals. TSW does it better, but as stated before, total lack of steam content rules it out for me.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Aug 24 2019, 11:03 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 24 2019, 04:45 PM
Post #4085

Ancient
Group Icon

I noticed that the barrier does not drop across the road until after the train had already started across it! I am pretty sure that is not OSHA approved...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 24 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #4086

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Aug 24 2019, 10:45 AM) *

I noticed that the barrier does not drop across the road until after the train had already started across it! I am pretty sure that is not OSHA approved...

Yeah, that bugs me too. Oddly, I've a vague memory of TpF crossing 'gates' functioning more realistically (lowering sooner) early on. I first attributed the change (if change it is) to my utilization of Camera Views Add-on for all train rides and videos post SRA ep10. I now notice late drops in third-person static camera segments, which don't utilize the mod. Might dig up some of my ancient TpF vid captures (predating YouTube episodes) and see if my memory is playing tricks on me.

Addendum:
BTW, during video text narration I experience a brain-fart and refer to the train locomotive as a Stanier 'Black 5.' It is a 'Stanier 8F, as the mod's creator reminds me. (Both are included in the download.) The episode's YouTube description now refers to the correct loco. Can't do anything about video text narrative at this stage. Well, of course I could, but that ain't gonna happen. No way. LOL

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Aug 24 2019, 08:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 31 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #4087

Master
Group Icon

Another TpF Scenic Excursions episode was uploaded overnight. We deliver fuel from Eastleigh Refinery to Hartlepool, then return. I wish YT compression were kinder to it, but it is what it is:

Transport Fever Scenic Excursions ep25 - Fuel for Hartlepool

Besides TpF, I'm still slugging away at modded Daggerfall Unity, and occasional Trainz 2019 sessions.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 31 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #4088

Councilor
Group Icon

One small criticism. In that era, any goods train would have a brake van as the last wagon, in case of coupling breakage. A fuel tanker consist would also normally have a non-tank wagon marshaled first behind a steam loco, as a firebreak.

However, I can't find any reference to these regs on the internet. They're just memories from talking to my neighbor 50 years ago. He worked for British Railways Southern Region, and knew that I was into railway models, so trains were a common interest.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 31 2019, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Aug 31 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #4089

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 31 2019, 09:22 AM) *

One small criticism. In that era, any goods train would have a brake van as the last wagon, in case of coupling breakage. A fuel tanker consist would also normally have a non-tank wagon marshaled first behind a steam loco, as a firebreak.

However, I can't find any reference to these regs on the internet. They're just memories from talking to my neighbor 50 years ago. He worked for British Railways Southern Region, and knew that I was into railway models, so trains were a common interest.

Interesting bit about the buffer wagon between loco/tender and first tank wagon. I'd not picked up on that before. Yeah, I'm pretty sure brake vans were once (but no more) required on all British freight trains. Few of my trains sport them. The reason; they're almost all too darn short, a fault of inept railway network (tracks) implementation and over-short freight station lengths. Were I to sacrifice a product carrying wagon for a brake van, their often already inadequate amount of cargo would be reduced even further. I occasionally think to rectify this situation, but it'd mean nuking large portions of the map to bare earth and more or less starting afresh. I don't have the guts to do so. Not yet at any rate.

If memory serves, one of the few trains with brake van is briefly grimpsed as we exit Goodstown Factory episode 24. (But don't quote me.) Also, I believe the train we rode episode 20 acquired a one not long ago.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 1 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #4090

Master
Group Icon

World of Warcraft Classic launched Tuesday. Been playing that casually. Level 17 now.

Raids have already been cleared. Guild from a private server took world first and the big esports organisation Method thought they'd have it. Lol.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 5 2019, 02:53 PM
Post #4091

Master
Group Icon

Fired up Mashinky for the first time in forever. A number of trains went screwy during some update between now and back when I played hot-and-heavy. They ignore their pathing and get into all sorts of trouble as a result. I corrected some of them, thankfully without losing a single train.

Other than that I did nothing but ride the rails on a few select passenger trains.

Be nice to combine the best features of Mashinky with Transport Fever. Hopefully TpF2 will make inroads in that regard.

TpF has gone stuttery on me. It happened around the time Win10 updated itself to v1903. But I can't be sure that's the cause. As you might recall, v1903 caused general issues with my Windows installation. While attempting a fix I updated both PC BIOS and nVidia Gforce graphics driver. Might be one of those, though reverting to an earlier graphics driver didn't help matters.

Evening Addendum:
Drove a TRS19 "Cornish Mainline & Branches" passenger session after supper. I swear I have driven every one of its passenger sessions at least one before today, yet had no memory of this one. Some of its track was familiar from the freight session I failed a couple of times a while back. And its final station is familiar as the start of another passenger session. It is a short passenger route by TRS19 standards, lasting only circa 32min. Was enjoyable none the less. Very fine, if basic, landscape scenic of a rustic nature the entire route. The train is powered by a 5100 series tank steam locomotive, which is, I believe, TRS19's take on the loco featured in my short TpF SRA 22B episode. Wish every TRS DLC were as graphically appealing as this one!

Messed around in Mashinky afterwards, again mainly riding various train routes.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 6 2019, 01:36 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 10 2019, 01:14 PM
Post #4092

Master
Group Icon

Been something of a frustrating period gaming wise. My last Trainz2019 session ended in a crash to desktop mere seconds away from what would have been its conclusion. My last two Daggerfall Unity quests, one for royalty, one for a merchant, proved incompletable. In Mashinky, several trains that ran flawless for RL months have sudden gotten their pathing so messed up I've yet to figure out how to correct it, bringing the game to a standstill. As for Transport Fever, no snafus there. But...I'm currently at a loss as to how I want to 'scenic' several routes under consideration for Scenic Excursions episodes.

Relatedly, my favorite provider of YouTube Transport Fever content just announced his channel has gone belly-up due to seemingly unsolvable internet reliability issues. His two weekly TpF episodes have for some time been a highlight of my week. They will be missed.

A new version of Daggerfall Unity is available. I ought to download and install it today or tomorrow. We shall see.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 10 2019, 01:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 16 2019, 02:29 AM
Post #4093

Master
Group Icon

In Transport Fever, I've been detailing small isolated sections of map. I'm a long way off from having any single railway route detailed enough to base a Scenic Excursion episode on. The way it's looking, it'll be a very time before a new episode appears. In the meantime, here's a pair of LS&SCR 'L' 4-6-4T steam locos, pulling a passenger train, entering Hartlepool Station:

Passenger Train entering Hartlepool Station

This is a newly available loco, available at the Workshop, modeled by 'Gr1m.' I'm a fan of tanks, and these look particularly fine. They are only temporarily assigned to the Bebington-Hartlepool line. I'd love to keep them there, but they top out at 60mph, 15mph below what the line's normal loco does. I've only a couple of passengers lines where 60mph is acceptable. Those use locos I don't intend to replace, leaving the LS&SCR with no permanent home.

Rode a couple of Cornish Mainline & Branches passenger routes in Trainz 2019.

Remain active in modded Daggerfall Unity.

This post has been edited by Decrepit: Sep 16 2019, 02:32 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jacki Dice
post Sep 16 2019, 03:42 AM
Post #4094

Knower
Group Icon

Most of my friend group got Borderlands 3 Thursday night.

I haven't played as much of it as I would have liked because homework, but I like what I've seen so far. Characters from the first two cone back and they even brought in a couple from the Telltale game.

--------------------
Madness Helps Me Save Myself
Nemesis

Standing on the cliffs that kiss burning winds
We are rising together
Brazen, exalting, a hiss of triumph rings
I am yours
...Yours immortally
+Quote Post
Dark Reaper
post Sep 18 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #4095

Master
Group Icon

Playing Fire Emblem Fates/Birthright and Echoes on the 2DSXL.

--------------------
Live and let live.
+Quote Post
Decrepit
post Sep 20 2019, 02:14 AM
Post #4096

Master
Group Icon

Continue to get in one or two Daggerfall Unity sessions per day. Continue to add scenic detail along various Transport Fever train route, despite the game suddenly (about the time Win10 updated to 1903) becoming stuttery in ride-mode, bringing to a halt Scenic Excursion episodes. Occasionally drive Trainz 2019 sessions. (Those don't stutter.) That's the current extent of my active involvement in gaming.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Sakiri
post Sep 25 2019, 08:00 PM
Post #4097

Master
Group Icon

Started a Skyrim playthrough. Not sure how far I'll get, as I'm playing something I've not done before... a thief. I'm afraid of pickpocketing because failure sucks, and I don't usually steal stuff.

Bare fisted khajiit. Might have to light armor it. I need the perks. Perk mod has unarmed bonuses in the light armor tree.

--------------------
And in the fury of this darkest hour
We will be your light
You've asked me for my sacrifice
And I am Winterborn
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 25 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #4098

Ancient
Group Icon

Gog.com is giving away Freespace 2 for free for the next two days. Go and download it now!

--------------------
+Quote Post
TheCheshireKhajiit
post Sep 26 2019, 02:13 AM
Post #4099

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 25 2019, 02:26 PM) *

Gog.com is giving away Freespace 2 for free for the next two days. Go and download it now!

Ooo I might do that when I get home!

--------------------
"Family is an odd thing, is it not? Defined by blood, separated by blood, joined by blood. In the end, it's all just blood."
-Dhaunayne Aundae

May you walk on warm sands!
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 26 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #4100

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sakiri @ Sep 25 2019, 09:00 PM) *
Started a Skyrim playthrough. Not sure how far I'll get, as I'm playing something I've not done before... a thief. I'm afraid of pickpocketing because failure sucks, and I don't usually steal stuff.

Bare fisted khajiit. Might have to light armor it. I need the perks. Perk mod has unarmed bonuses in the light armor tree.

I'm back to Skyrim as well, with occasional glimpses to the Commonwealth. I'm returning to established characters, for now an idea of starting a completely new playthrough doesn't sound too appealing. I installed a mod The Brotherhood of Old, which expands the Dark Brotherhood questline once the vanilla one concludes, so I'll be staying in Skyrim for a while.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post

255 Pages V « < 203 204 205 206 207 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 PM