Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oblivion Disappointing?, More inside...
Did Oblivion Disappoint You?
Did Oblivion Disappoint You?
Yeah I was disappointed, it wasn't really what I'd hoped for... [ 7 ] ** [8.75%]
It was alright but it didn't really draw me in... [ 16 ] ** [20.00%]
No, it was a great game. Hats off to Bethsoft... [ 30 ] ** [37.50%]
Are you insane? It has consumed my life... [ 27 ] ** [33.75%]
Total Votes: 80
Guests cannot vote 
DarkHunter
post May 8 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #21

Mouth
Group Icon

You know whats interesting about a previously claim?

He was talking about how it was useless to go get a house, or a horse or anything micianious (Sp...) because the game is about the quests... WRONG!!! The game is a RPG which means you try to pretend to be you're character, live your life in Oblivion. For instance in Morrowind, I broke into Fargoth's house and lived there setting up meals, organizing bring Dwemer Artifacts there... etc. But I lived in Fargoth's house A month game time as i went to sleep at 10pm (game time) and had my character wake up at 9am (game time) and it was fun!

The point of an Rpg is to try to live a life in a different world than our own, thats what makes TES better than the other MMORPG's (sp...) like Runescape or Guildwar. You can live A LIFE in the cultured world of TES by learning the history and having a house decorated, or collected in the same fashion..............

Rant Mode Off

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HyPN0
post May 8 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #22

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Pisces @ May 8 2006, 11:51 AM)
Now I would have perfered if they delayed the release another year so they could work out more bugs and do more guilds and such but then we would all be here swearing about how Bethseda betrayed us.

laugh.gif HAHA
Well,who knows what would happen?
I am annoyed with the fact that they promised a lot,but provided so little.
And that's not just RAI mind you (see my first post).
I think that they were more focused on graphics and ''make-up'' then in deeper gameplay.

It's really good that we have such a strong modding community though.
Some balance mods can really improve gameplay.Like slow leveling and G_'s Loot mod.Not to mention the wonderful BT Mod that makes the GUI a LOT better than Bethesda's.

QUOTE(DarkHunter @ May 8 2006, 12:25 PM)
You know whats interesting about a previously claim?
SNIP
Rant Mode Off

Who said that?

This post has been edited by HyPN0: May 8 2006, 11:36 AM

--------------------
''Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.''
- Albert Einstein

''One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.''
- Plato

user posted image
+Quote Post
Volsung
post May 8 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #23

Agent

I like the game itself, I just don't like the support that Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition is getting. FIX IT ALREADY, [censored]!

Stargelman: Watch your language! nono.gif

--------------------
Signature being redone
+Quote Post
Neela
post May 8 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #24

Finder
Group Icon

My personal view on Oblivion is actually a contradiction of views really. I think Oblivion taken by itself is a great game. It has easily consumed 100's hours that were fun and enjoyable. This much time of course only because of the easy moddability of the game. Few games I purchase can boast so much playable time.

On the other side... I might also be considered one of the complainers about the game, simply because I am also viewing Oblivion based on its predecessors in the series. The TES series, to me, was 10 levels above the standard fare of games and as such, yes, I held them to a different standard. These were games that I would literally spend a full year playing non-stop. Mostly because they were truly Role-Playing Games. Oblivion lost alot of its Role-Playing.

The fun and wonderment of the game is slowly being lost as I start to realize I am running out of things to truly explore. There is very few things that feel unique to discover and most of the quests left no feeling of conquest or achievement because it took little effort and no thinking to complete each one of them. In fact, instead many times the feeling was frustration at the lack of options and openness in the quests.

Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind each lasted me years of play because there was so much to do and explore. Sadly, Oblivion feels more like a sequel to Battlespire. It was fun to play through, but really the single-solution quests take away the replayability of the previous titles.

The serious lack of any new lore or any real depth to the land, its people, and its politics have greatly lowered my expectations for any future TES games.

Before I make this post any longer... I HOPE that Bethesda will realize they took the wrong direction with the game in making it so simplistic and make TES V a title worthy of the respect I once had for the series. I fear though that this is a trend in the new generation of gaming that will have me lamenting the loss of the good old days of PC gaming.
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 8 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #25

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(DarkHunter @ May 8 2006, 12:25 PM)
You can live A LIFE in the cultured world of TES by learning the history and having a house decorated, or collected in the same fashion..............

The funny thing is that the devs have been trying desperately to make that impossible. It seems they don't want people actually spending more time with their games as was before.

And after reading Neela's post I say it once again: I now respect your opinions more after reading your opinion on Oblivion. You said a great many sensible things and it was well put. Congratulations!

The awful truth is that Bethesda have been giving us something in one hand and taking something away in the other. That's the truth. Now I say something to Bethesda and they should do good to listen to this. Make 2 game series! One retarded game for the consoles with great graphics and a nice fight system but with shallow gameplay. Another game for the PC crowd which will continue the legacy of Morrowind and Daggerfall and bring pride to the series. Stop dumbing down the damn game!

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post May 8 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #26

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Agent Griff @ May 8 2006, 05:04 PM)
Make 2 game series! One retarded game for the consoles with great graphics and a nice fight system but with shallow gameplay. Another game for the PC crowd which will continue the legacy of Morrowind and Daggerfall and bring pride to the series. Stop dumbing down the damn game!

Morrowind was great for both the Xbox and the PC, the system is not the issue here, the X360 had plenty of power to run it, the devs just didn't use it to make the game as in depth as we'd hoped...

The game wasn't dumbed down because it was available for other systems than the PC it was mainstreamed so that Beth could sell more copies which is obviously the goal of any game company.

So lets not make this a system war k? Those are not so good. nono.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 8 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

I'm not making this a system war, I don't care about the system to be honest, but I was just stating the obvious. The game has been showing increased signs of console-zation (if there is such a word) as in making the game more like a console game than a PC game. Changing the interface and the inventory system for example. I liked the Morrowind journal, it actually felt like a journal. In Oblivion they gathered up everything they could and made it one thing, the Journal. When I first accesed the journal to be honest I couldn't understand a thing. I randomly clicked on those silly icons until I found what I wanted. There isn't one bit of writing in the initial screen of the jounal! That is a sign of console-zation if you ask me. I hope the game doesn't become an exclusive console game, that would be the ultimate bad thing that could happen. No more mods, no more console, no more CS. That is cutting away way too many options for some people.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Fethenwen
post May 8 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #28

Agent

QUOTE(Agent Griff @ May 8 2006, 09:57 PM)
I'm not making this a system war, I don't care about the system to be honest, but I was just stating the obvious. The game has been showing increased signs of console-zation (if there is such a word) as in making the game more like a console game than a PC game. Changing the interface and the inventory system for example. I liked the Morrowind journal, it actually felt like a journal. In Oblivion they gathered up everything they could and made it one thing, the Journal. When I first accesed the journal to be honest I couldn't understand a thing. I randomly clicked on those silly icons until I found what I wanted. There isn't one bit of writing in the initial screen of the jounal! That is a sign of console-zation if you ask me. I hope the game doesn't become an exclusive console game, that would be the ultimate bad thing that could happen. No more mods, no more console, no more CS. That is cutting away way too many options for some people.

Aye, the "console-zation" of the game is a big minus. The journal thing and especially the way my character moves and jumps and the camera moves feels very console. Ok, the characters in Oblivion move nicely and realistic in compared to for instance Morrowind, but too fast and they jump very high huh.gif
Oblivion is too easy, that's the biggest thing that I get a bit frustated with. You don't have to think at all if you don't want to, and complete every quest easily with the help of the journal and maps and markers.
But still quest in Oblivion gives a feeling of 'WOW' for me. They are a bit more action packed, at least they give a impression of being that. The only action packed quest I remember from Morrowind was to save that lady (I don't remember her name) but maybe you remember the part you had to go to the High Fane and sneak in to that floating rock to save her and teleport away. Morrowind had lots of fetch that and give it to that guy "quests". Like: go and buy five portions of muck tongue.gif
All in all, I'm very impressed with Oblivion. As I like to play sneaky characters, I've noticed that there's so much to do for the moraless thug. It even feels like one of the Thief games some times.
And the combat system is great biggrin.gif it really feels like your in somekind of control of what you do, it's not just click and smash. It's more like; click a little and a little bit more, parry, slide, and click; now tongue.gif
There is some few flaws and disappointments, like the lack of strange and imaginative wierd details (which got me draw my breath in Morrowind), but compared to all other rp games I've played so far, this really is a masterpiece.

--------------------
user posted image
let Lara bite you: *click*
+Quote Post
Kiln
post May 9 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #29

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Yeah it's a great game when compared to most other games besides Elderscrolls games, for some reason I measure them on a completely different level than other games. Oblivion removed too much of the weird stuff that kept you wondering and gave you that surreal feeling, I personally think OB was just too real.

The journal could have been different, I also liked the Morrowind version better but I played on the Xbox and it didn't seem badly done, the triggers turned the pages and the "A" button selected entries.

I also liked in Morrowind that the entries were actually written as if the character had written them not like in Oblivion where it seems like a computer wrote them.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
ThePerson98
post May 9 2006, 03:52 AM
Post #30

Finder
Group Icon

It only seemed to have one culture..
To tell the truth I had much more fun when I played morrowind for the first time. Oblivion immediately didnt have the same feeling. It has the freedom, but everything is repetitive. In morrowind you go to the swampy fishing culture of Seyda Neen and Hla Oad. Then on the east coast the mushroom houses and the grasslands. Then on the south coast the vivec building-type. Then around that is the ashlands, bordering the forests. Then you go find ashlanders. Head to the center and find blight storms. Around that being the Redoran like buildings..that look like bug things.. I dunno. Head to solsthiem for the nordic north culture.

In oblivion, a lot of the houses look the same. And are dull. And no one seems different in it. I want morrowind to quit popping errors up >.< I miss it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 9 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #31

Mouth
Group Icon

Well, I haven't got Oblivion yet so... sad.gif But I'm still sitting here enjoying playing Morrowind... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A skull, some blood, and a flying mace. Not much to work with. ~Imperial Legion Captian.
+Quote Post
Joryn
post May 9 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #32

Agent

Pity there arent more people like me. I use both the pc and console. I dont do this moronic thing where I pretend there is some major difference between the two. Of course like I said, since I look at it from both sides I see an awful lot of pcs users being so arrogant. I cant blame them really, Im sure playing console games means you have a COMPLETELY different method of playing games altogether.

Please people, while you brought up plenty of good reasons why the game isnt as good as previous ones, please leave the "It was dumbed down for console users" excuse alone. Its really pathetic. Some people have good reasons for playing Oblivion (or any games for the matter) on console.

Like me, I chose not to pay the insanely priced upgrades for my average pc and chose the insanely priced (but slightly cheaper in my case) Xbox 360. If you dont like Oblivion, fine. But Oblivion being released on the 360 should have nothing to do with why you dislike it. Because I for one have not seen a valid reason how PC games and console games differ.

--------------------
Faith, Law, and Justice. Walk on

Joryn - Lvl 40 Dunmer Mage born under the Mage.
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 9 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

The console, has caused a downgrade in all games, because the console is more played by kids and teens. While the computer (which is only used for Msn for those little ********) is an obsolete piece of machinery to them. And the kids of today love gangsters, rap, etc... so they like the hacking and slashing games of the console (Halo). So Bethsada had to take out all the longer quests and make them a lot shorter so they could have the kids interest.

In my opion Bethsada shouldn't release 2 different games depending on the machine you play on, they should release it for Mature Gamers and Child-Teen Gamers. So that way, us who like to Rp can. And the kids who love hacking and slashing can do thier thing...

This post has been edited by DarkHunter: May 9 2006, 11:59 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Joryn
post May 9 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #34

Agent

QUOTE(DarkHunter @ May 9 2006, 10:47 AM)
The console, has caused a downgrade in all games, because the console is more played by kids and teens. While the computer (which is only used for Msn for those little ********) is an obsolete piece of machinery to them. And the kids of today love gangsters, rap, etc... so they like the hacking and slashing games of the console (Halo). So Bethsada had to take out all the longer quests and make them a lot shorter so they could have the kids interest.     

In my opion Bethsada shouldn't release 2 different games depending on the machine you play on, they should release it for Mature Gamers and Child-Teen Gamers. So that way, us who like to Rp can. And the kids who love hacking and slashing can do thier thing...

Well if what you say is true then blame the developers not the consoles and their users. The console HASNT caused a downgrade in all games, the developers have. They are the ones who feel the need to cater for the rapping slashing ganster kids. They should simply ignore what they want, and make it for the console and pc gamers who enjoy playing involving and smart games.

So, just like you said, more mature rated games with better content. And I guarantee you the sort of person you listed doesnt just stick to playing console games. I know plenty of people like that who happily play pc as well as console. So dont try to separate stupid gamers and smart gamers into console gamers and pc gamers, because its an insult.

Edit: Im not saying you are separating those people or doing anything in this post Darkhunter and I can see my post would give that impression, I apologize. But this is a sore spot for me as I feel since I play console games I get labeled as a moron.

This post has been edited by Joryn: May 9 2006, 12:20 PM

--------------------
Faith, Law, and Justice. Walk on

Joryn - Lvl 40 Dunmer Mage born under the Mage.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post May 9 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #35

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(Joryn @ May 9 2006, 10:24 AM)
Pity there arent more people like me. I use both the pc and console. I dont do this moronic thing where I pretend there is some major difference between the two. Of course like I said, since I look at it from both sides I see an awful lot of pcs users being so arrogant. I cant blame them really, Im sure playing console games means you have a COMPLETELY different method of playing games altogether.

Please people, while you brought up plenty of good reasons why the game isnt as good as previous ones, please leave the "It was dumbed down for console users" excuse alone. Its really pathetic. Some people have good reasons for playing Oblivion (or any games for the matter) on console.

This guy put my thoughts exactly, Joryn has the same thoughts as me on the "dumbed down for the consoles" crap. Quoted for truth.

QUOTE(Joryn @ May 9 2006, 11:18 AM)
[B]Well if what you say is true then blame the developers not the consoles and their users. The console HASNT caused a downgrade in all games, the developers have. They are the ones who feel the need to cater for the rapping slashing ganster kids. They should simply ignore what they want, and make it for the console and pc gamers who enjoy playing involving and smart games.

Once again, his opinion is the same as mine, quit blaming the consoles...it hasn't been dumbed down for the console...that isn't the reason the game isn't as in depth because the developers wanted to mainstream it to get better sales for the Xbox and the PC.

Oh and Darkhunter...I use the computer for MSN so lets keep any possible insults to a minumum ok... blink.gif

This post has been edited by Kiln: May 9 2006, 01:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Furious_George
post May 9 2006, 02:06 PM
Post #36

Finder
Group Icon

Let's try to keep this on topic.
Obviously, The Elder Scrolls has been fine on consoles... look at MW.
So, any more on-topic comments on whether you like OB? smile.gif
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 9 2006, 06:02 PM
Post #37

Knower
Group Icon

Morrowind was fine on consoles because it was ported from the PC. Oblivion was more mainstreamed to catter for more sales on the consoles and the PCs alike. The devs should realise that people aren't retards and that they appreciate a game that makes you think and appreciate it for its depth, like the previous TES games were (At least that's what I think). I remember how I called one of my friends over to my shack and I showed him Morrowind. I liked to tell him about the religion and show him the various types of culture. I even showed him Vivec once. When I started showing him Oblivion it was rather bland and generic compared to Morrowind when it came to lore and things like that. At least that's what he told me. I, myself, didn't have that much to show him since there's only so much of Bravil and more unique cities like that that can be shown before it gets old.

This post has been edited by Agent Griff: May 9 2006, 06:03 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 9 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #38

Mouth
Group Icon

I'm not saying that console users are morons or anything of the sort. I'm insulting the younger generation and thier horrible taste. And I'm sorry about the Msn thing, I was only saying that younger kids ONLY use the computer for Msn, and that drives me insane...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post May 9 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #39

Knower
Group Icon

Ah well, the younger generation is pretty weird. And from what I see with the MSN, I see you're a conservative Dark Hunter, are you not? As I've seen so far, I think "The Next Generation" would become a word all TES players loathe.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
DarkHunter
post May 9 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

laugh.gif I agree with you, finally, and yes I am a little conservative... just a little...

--------------------
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:09 PM