13 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Ghostfence rp: Discussion and Planning #1
minque
post Dec 31 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #1

Wise Woman
Group Icon

So let's plan and discuss here as we usually do, then we avoid too much OOC in the playground.

I hope the caravan won't be off quite yet, Rianne is busy getting aquainted with Dralas..and she has not yet signed up! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Olen
post Dec 31 2008, 01:18 AM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

Perhaps the caravan could be delayed by a day (bad ash storm? foodpoisoning from undercooked rat?) to give a bit more time for RPing in Balmora.

Anyway I'm too tired to read though and remember so is anyone kicking about the Eight Plates on their own? If so feel free to approach Rothan, or say and he'll approach.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Dec 31 2008, 11:23 AM
Post #3

Master
Group Icon

Well, Eno is alone, sort of. I haven't rp-ed him past the point of renting a room at the eight plates. I'm going to set him down at the bar somewhere and continue carving his flute. He's not the type to approach strangers and start conversations, unfortunately.

But first, breakfast.

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Dec 31 2008, 11:33 AM

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Dec 31 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

Thinking about it I'll wait until after the new year's celebrations to post as I don't know how long I'll be away for, I'll approach once I'm back at a computer. I don't want to get Eno stuck with an offline character for a few days...

And both the priests I know drink. tongue.gif

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post
canis216
post Dec 31 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #5

Knower
Group Icon

Dranas is doing his "one night stand", so don't expect to hear from him until morning comes. Unless somebody breaks into his new lady friend's house, or there's a big ruckus in town. He might stumble into the Eight Plates for breakfast, eventually.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
minque
post Dec 31 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Wise Woman
Group Icon

OMG i didn't know the Erabenimsun would be offended by a helping hand! Hehe...well then it's an opportunity for some interesting interactions between those two!

Very well....let's see what happens next..hihi

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
bbqplatypus
post Jan 1 2009, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Finder
Group Icon

I think it'd be a good idea to discuss the sort of route the caravan will take, and just how dangerous it'll be. I think it'd be interesting for there to be the danger of attacks along the way.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 2 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Mouth
Group Icon

Turns out I wasn't away long..

I'd say the caravan should be hit by a big ashstorm (I think we discussed this) which will force them to take shelter and thus go off route and hit more trouble (outcast ashlanders probably though perhaps sixth house or even rouge telvanni). Possibly someone could pick up the blight off the storm too.

And from Balmora Foyada Mamea (sp?) is the best way, it will be more fun to rp and the way though from ald ruhn would be far from easy to take a caravan of guars down. If people want to go up via ald ruhn then we could but why not start there?

This post has been edited by Olen: Jan 2 2009, 07:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lythyum
post Jan 2 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #9

Retainer

I like Olen's idea of being hit by an ash storm. Ash brings the ash monsters... we could make that a bit like the Mist.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 2 2009, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Master
Group Icon

Umm, the Foyada thingie. That's down past the Legion fort (Moonmoth?) south of Balmora, then turn left into the canyon, right? I think I'm going to load up the game and see if I can get to Ghostgate that way without any excessive levitation.

Also, I remember there being a Daedric ruin along the way, though I think that was pretty far along the route. Or maybe that was from a different path. It could make for some good tension though. Ash storm hits, the caravan hides in a Daedric Ruin, then finds out there are cultists. Cue diplomacy/panic/fighting. Or maybe not. Daedric ruins aren't exactly the kind of thing you would explore while at low levels. (Though on the other hand, we're not doing solo and game mechanics don't apply that much)

Of course, if we meet ash creatures in the storm, that would lead to some big drama as well. Cause weren't those supposed to be restricted to the Red Mountain region? (Even without the Ghostfence, I don't think Dagoth Ur's forces were spread out that far into Vvardenfell, excluding the occasional hide-out.) That would definitely stop some people from thinking it will be an easy trip.

Anyway, I'm going scouting now. See ya all later.

Edit: That went faster than expected. Although, I guess that speed 110 plus not stopping to get Cliffracers off my back helped a lot. Anyway, the foyada (turn left after passing Fort Moonmoth) goes practically straight to Ghostgate, without any paths branching off. At least, no paths that I saw. I went all the way with an Ash storm so my vision wasn't exactly perfect.

Anyway, while the path is straight, it is absolutely littered with rocks that require constant weaving. Even two Guars (without handlers) side by side will have difficulty navigating that, so I suggest that the caravan moves in a line of one Guar+handler wide. The path finally becomes clear of boulders about twenty seconds (at full dash) before Ghostgate itself becomes visible. There you could have three guars+handlers side to side with room to spare. But I suggest that maybe the clear area is the construction camp?

Also, just before the half-way mark, you run into a Daedric Ruin you practically have to go through. It's right in the middle of the path and blocks it pretty much completely. (Also, I got ambushed by 2 Dremora and 1 Flame Atronach hiding among the buildings. Just so you know) The entrance is at the top of a tower and requires two stairs to be navigated, with a hairpin-turn inbetween. While it might be possible for Guars to get up there, I don't think it would be easy, especially during an Ash storm. Even moreso if you don't know where the entrance is. (I spent a good three minutes running around looking for it) As for whether or not it is inhabited, I'll leave that up to you.

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Jan 2 2009, 09:00 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
bbqplatypus
post Jan 2 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Finder
Group Icon

Well, it might be wider than that - remember that the in-game map is not to scale. If it were, Vvardenfell would be only about ten square miles big.

'Course, we could always take the long way 'round through Ald'ruhn. Or we could take a shortcut through the mountains. I have an idea as to how we might do that - it involves a pre-existing tunnel built by prospectors near what will soon be the Abaelun Diamond Mine (with the rationale being that it will enable travel to a certain future city that will soon be in between Balmora and Ald'ruhn). But that might be a bit too contrived. Besides, the more trouble we have getting there, the more fun it is.

This post has been edited by bbqplatypus: Jan 2 2009, 10:15 PM
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 2 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Knower
Group Icon

We can run into sufficient trouble going up the Foyada. I don't even know that we need ash creatures laying an ambush until we get close to the base of Red Mountain--we could have some orc barbarians hanging out at the daedric shrine. In-game, if I recall properly, the shrine was populated by orcs, and I check and see if it was a shrine to Malacath, which would explain much. Could also have an attack by outcast ashlanders.

The open area before Ghostgate would be great for the campsite. In-game there were some Ashlanders camped nearby, so it makes considerable sense.

Even if the entrance to the shrine would be hard to find in a storm, the walls on the exterior would make for a good wind-break, so it would be a natural place to go for shelter.

--------------------
Read about Always-He-Lingers-in-the-Sun, a Blades assassin, in Killing in the Emperor's Name and The Dark Operation. And elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 2 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Mouth
Group Icon

Will there be a camp there when we arrive? I assumed we were heading to an already existant base with construction workers and other folk there.

If so there will have been other caravans and this one is hardly secret so it would be likely that someone will try to ambush it be than ashlanders or bandits.

--------------------
+Quote Post
bbqplatypus
post Jan 2 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #14

Finder
Group Icon

We should also look to determine how long it'll take. I'll take a look at the maps over at the Imperial Library and determine how long it would actually be.

Personally, I think the more trouble we run into, the better. Bandits, Daedra worshipers, and maybe some crazed half-naked Dreamers or ash monsters. Besides, I kinda set you all up for a bad time with that conversation I posted yesterday.

EDIT: The whole trip looks to be about 60 miles, from measuring on the map. That'd be about a week's journey, by my estimate.

This post has been edited by bbqplatypus: Jan 2 2009, 11:54 PM
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 3 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #15

Mouth
Group Icon

I'd hope to clear a lot more than seven miles a day even on very bad terrain with a baggage train, I'd say closer to three days but more due to problems on the way.

I'd certainly agree that we should only run into very minor sixth house things if we do - leaves another chance for them to be exciting later.

And we should make sure we don't overdo the opposition, we still have to win without godmodeing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 3 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #16

Knower
Group Icon

For 60 miles a week makes a lot more sense than three days. People are going to be walking... uphill... on uneven ground. Now, I can hike 20 miles a day for three days in a row without too much trouble--but I'm 25 and fit, a really fast hiker, and I'm doing that by myself. But unless everyone's going to ride a guar (instead of hauling goods on it), no caravan is doing 20 miles a day. Even without being attacked or ash storms.

This post has been edited by canis216: Jan 3 2009, 12:47 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olen
post Jan 3 2009, 01:21 AM
Post #17

Mouth
Group Icon

20 miles a day was an overestimation but I think 7 is too few.

Really it depends on the ages and fitness of people in the caravan, and the long distance speed of a guar. I was working on twenty miles a day being a sensible pace for multi day walking but that doesn't really reflect a caravan. I wasn't considering delays, just travel time. How long do ashstorms last? It must be about 8 hours in game?

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 3 2009, 01:30 AM
Post #18

Knower
Group Icon

A caravan will be slow to get going in the morning, and to settle in the evening. Add in delays... let's say 15 miles on a really good day, 10-12 on an iffy day (one attack by a small party of Ashlanders, perhaps), seven or less for larger attacks, maybe no advancement at all in case of a really bad ash storm. (Why break camp? Be enough work keeping the ash from choking the guars' nostrils, etc.) That all sound reasonable?

--------------------
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jan 3 2009, 05:00 PM
Post #19

Master
Group Icon

I took a quick look in the shrine when I was there but encountered Dunmer, not Orcs. Of course, that's during Nerevarine-Morrowind, not Ghostfence-construction Morrowind.

For the hiking discussion, I have no experience so I'll let you folks figure it out. But I would like to add that Eno has a crippled leg. Even though he walks without a stick, he can't keep up if people do any forced marching or stuff.

As for this being the first caravan, it obviously isn't. The first one would (in my opinion) be entirely temple-controlled and carry only construction materials, workers and some supplies. There would be no civilians signing up and going for their own reasons like with our caravan. That also means there will be a camp waiting for us when we arrive.

As for the wideness of the foyada. I would have liked the cramped weaving between rocks myself, but if the caravan is a regular occurence, there might have been attempts at removing the rocks to widen the path. Perhaps not all the way, but at least the stretch travelled during the first day? Of course, since the map is not to scale, we could say that geographic features like the foyada are actually much larger (wider+deeper) and there is enough room to walk side-by-side even with rocks. (oh boy, now I get the Grand Canyon in mind!)

Oh, and the Daedric ruin should have been cleared out by force now that I think of it. No one in his right mind would send regular caravans along a route which has a point prominently marked on the map as 'ambush'. Heck it might even have turned into a half-way camp under supervision of the Temple/Houses, featuring an improvised stable to rest the Guars and enjoy shelter indoors!

--------------------
+Quote Post
canis216
post Jan 3 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #20

Knower
Group Icon

Yeah, that makes sense with the ruin. And it fits with some of the dialogue/writing from Morrowind--in the years before Morrowind the ordinators spent much more time cleaning out the heretics from daedric shrines. But perhaps some angry daedra worshipers could cause trouble at the camp, you think?

Did you notice which daedra was worshiped there?

--------------------
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:22 AM