Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Athynae Sarethi: The Making of a Princess, Entries from Athynae's childhood journals
Black Hand
post Feb 19 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #41

Master
Group Icon

o_O

I suppose minque is right, I'm uncertain as too my true feelings concerning his apparent popularity. Firstly, I don't really like the original saga, it was the very apparent amateur writings, then again; practice makes for slightly less amateurish things.

Not too mention Seth has been with me through many upheavals in real life over the last four or so years. Not like a voice in my head or anything, but simply the idea of being better than what I am, which is what I think of as the spirit of Seth is, continuous self improvement.

But in many ways, Seth is no longer simply 'my' character, he's been borrowed and interpreted and brought too life in many different ways. I always shared him freely because; as weird as this may sound, it is what he would do. He is a walking contradiction, a remorseless killer who loves, a man who experiences deepest pain yet seeks to alleviate pain from the world. As selfless as he is closed off from the world.

Yet, the sense of wonder I gained from first playing Morrowind, the creation and deletion of multiple characters as I learned my playing style; the joy of discovery as I came across multiple bandit caves, the long hours in the night spent playing despite having work the next day, these moments I would not trade, and these moments are uniquely my own, and are what gave birth to the Mer in my mind.

So, good job Athynae, you do more than just do him justice. You breathe life into the softer side of the man, and even I am moved and have regained that sense of wonder. What's next?

This post has been edited by Black Hand: Feb 19 2012, 07:29 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 19 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #42

Knower
Group Icon

Wow! Um, I had no idea when trey sent me the forum's address the magnitude of what it would come to mean to me. If by writing these stories, a process that brings me tremendous joy, also brings others some joy that is a wonderful feeling but if it has also served to bring back to you something so special as that I am humbled to my very center and elated to think I have succeeded in doing that for you. I will cherish this comment for the rest of my days.

Thank you so very much Black Hand, you are an incredible writer that has a way of putting ideas and feelings in such as way that the reader feels them tangibly. I was sucked into his story after reading the first paragraph not long after I arrived here and now I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for the next post to surface....and Athynae would not be her stubborn, opinionated, argumentative, perfectionist warrior self were it not for Seth, Serene, Athyn and Athlain but I also feel like Seth was the one that gave her permission to be who she was.

--------------------
"I'm a woman of very few words, but lots of action." - Mae West (Hush Foxy)
+Quote Post
treydog
post Feb 19 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

Time to crank up the Quot-o-Matic (patent pending; use under adult supervision; keep hands and feet away from moving parts; read the safety guidelines before operating; consult a physician if you experience dizziness, nausea, sudden weight lose, or blurred vision).

What these vignettes from Athynae's past give us are insights into the whole world that she inhabits. We get to see precisely what the thread says on the tin- "The Making of a Princess." And that is because we see the people who shaped and trained her- even as we also see how SHE shaped them.

Surely you are close to running out of things that get you in trouble?

That is obviously one of those "rhetorical questions."

"So, if I asked you to show me, would that be stupid?"

"No, because you always make me prove to you that I know what I say I know,"

So much is conveyed in those two lines.

I knew what the answer was going to be but I figured it was worth a try just in case he wanted to see me do the new hand flip I had learned with my dagger.

To quote Athynae herself- "I never said I give up."

Serene is your mother therefore she holds the 'Staff of Correctness,' which means she wins. One touch with the staff and poof- the Princess is in her room until she concedes or …."

I can think of some mom's who have WISHED for such a handy item as a Staff of Correctness.

"Fine!" and I shook his hand. "I may not talk at all." And I made my best angry face.

"As you wish." And he shrugged his shoulders.

And Seth demonstrates the only good response to the deployment of "Fine!"

And he laughed while I was trying to figure out how I was going to survive a week without saying "stupid". I was definitely going to need to avoid some people.

Simply a delight from start to finish. Wonderful.

This post has been edited by treydog: Feb 19 2012, 05:14 PM

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 26 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #44

Knower
Group Icon

@McB- Thank you so much, I am so glad you are enjoying. I hope there are many more posts that have "…so much to quote…" That is a quality that I strive for every time I put pen to paper.

@Acadian- I am so very happy you are reading and enjoying! And the poem was , well, that was just a work of art, every time I read it I smile. It now graces the front of my notebook, reprinted in a lovely calligraphic font and decorated with a border of her two favorite words…

Stupid and FINE go together so well don't you think?

@mALX- Seth is quite the mer without a doubt. He took on the mantle of Uncle and tried to fill the spaces when Serene and Athyn were busy with Redoran House affairs and the council. He didn't want their absences to be a blank space, probably a good thing with Athynae.

@minque- Thank you for the PM, I loved what you sent, ALL of it. Seth, in my mind, is as multi-dimensional as the universes on the forum but the common thread that runs through all of his aspects is his drive and determination to do whatever it is with practiced perfection regardless. That goes along with my response to the second comment. I don't think one story was or is big enough to hold the many dimensions of Sethyas Velas successfully. smile.gif

AS: "Yes, Mother, it was a good thing, a very good thing but to be honest, I don't think listening to him was optional." biggrin.gif

@Black Hand- I've shared my appreciation for Seth, both with readers and your generosity with him and I will continue to do so but your gift of his presence in Athynae's childhood I can never repay so if these stories do this:

So, good job Athynae, you do more than just do him justice. You breathe life into the softer side of the man, and even I am moved and have regained that sense of wonder. What's next?

Then I will bow humbly and say thank you and I hope that these glimpses into Thyna's childhood continue to inspire that sense of wonder. Thank you again, so much, your generosity is beyond measure.

@treydog- smile.gif Thanks. So much I wish to convey in just one word….

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Feb 26 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #45

Knower
Group Icon

First and foremost thank you all! RL has been a bit of a whirlwind this week with the arrival of my first grandchild. She is happy, healthy and perfect not to mention quite the beauty, and no I am not biased... biggrin.gif

Now, this one is a bit long so grab a cup of hackle lo tea and join me on a ride...I was going to split it into two parts but, well, I didn't want to think that hard today I just wanted to get to the sharing it part. So, let's race shall we?

I had another history lesson with Father today and walking outside I found it hard to imagine the scenes he described before Nerevar Reborn had defeated Dagoth Ur at Red Mountain. The time before the Blight ended seemed almost like a fable, especially looking at Ald' ruhn now, since Mother had become Arch Mistress of House Redoran. One of the lessons that Father focused on was Dunmer traditions and how maintaining House Redoran's warrior heritage during peacetime was difficult. But Mother and the Council had continued to hone our martial skills with tournaments and competitions.

Children began their training in the ways of Great House Redoran as early as age 3 or 4, with lessons on the importance of honesty and integrity; how to handle weapons- mostly swords; and in the last decade, the use of guar as mounts, the same way horses were used on the mainland. Truthfulness was something we were expected to exhibit at all times, in all of our dealings- within the House and with others. There were competitions for warrior skills, with divisions by age, starting at age 5. There were small sector meets bi-weekly and regional tournaments yearly, but to compete in the regional tournament one had to earn a place either by number of wins or election of a recognized master of a particular skill. The regional tournament was open to competitors from outside of House Redoran, if they could qualify- AND pay an entry fee. As Mama liked to say, "Though we are not a 'merchant House' like Hlaalu, we still need money." Of course, in some ways, we still had to pay a price for letting outsiders in.

The weapons part of the tournament had been held the previous week and now it was the riding competition, which in truth was a series of races. Because the riders had to be lightweight and agile, the guar races were limited to those under 17. The 5 to 7 group raced around Ald'ruhn, the 8 to 10 group raced to Bal Isra and back, and the group I was in- 11 and up- raced to the old Ghost Gate and back. Adults also rode, but they did not participate in the races.

This year there weren't many competitors in my age group- Athlain and I, a boy from Vivec that was our age, and an older boy from the mainland that I had raced before. I guess he came here for two reasons: one, his parents could afford it and two, no one knew him so the chance of any public humiliation was lessened greatly. And there was one other, a Hlaalu kid whose family lived in one of the huts by the walls. And, if I had to guess, they had bribed a Guar Master for a nomination to compete, because Athlain and I were the uncontested champions. He was the winner of the track races and even sometimes a race like this, but usually the cross-country ones were mine because I did not slow down for obstacles. I trusted Lumhara and she trusted me.

The day before the race, Athlain and I had just finished taking Lumhara and Cos Mear for a workout when Berwain, the Hlaalu kid, came into the stables on a guar that I had never seen before. He had stripes on his neck and hindquarters and a wild set to his eyes. Honestly, it made me nervous because most guar, especially the ones around here, had very gentle expressions and were quite sweet.

"You've won your last race, Thin-A Longhair." I didn't care for the nickname but I didn't go freaky either when the kids called me that; they were just stupid. Calling me names either made them feel better or they were just copying the kids they spent time with; it didn't matter to me one way or the other. The only name that I could not stand was known by one other person and there is no way on Nirn Athlain would tell- because he knew what would happen if he did.

"Yeah, we'll see, Bug Stain; the day you beat me will be the day I fall to my death from a pebble." The look on his face told me he was confused,

"In other words- imbecile," I had learned that using words containing more than four letters greatly decreased the chance Berwain and his pals would understand and so lessened the need for me to "educate" them with my fists, "It won't happen. You couldn't beat me if Lumhara was blindfolded."

"You'll see; you're getting ready to eat dust, elf-witch."

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him for just a moment, then I closed my eyes and started moving my mouth and rubbing my fingers together. I heard his retreat, along with that of his less than impressive guar; their feet moving rather quickly. Athlain elbowed me and we both burst out laughing.

"I wonder what would happen if you did actually turn one of them into a bug or something?"

And we roared again.

We were still giggling as we took care of Lumhara and Cos Mear, making sure they had fresh, clean water and straw bedding. We gave them each a nice helping of their favorite fruit grain mix too. Just as we started out of the stable Mae and Cai arrived in their typical fashion- talking simultaneously in low voices. As they got within earshot they ceased their rumbling and looked up.

"Hello Athlain, Athynae. How are you today?" Cai's vocalization came out dripping with honey. Something was up.

"What do you two want now?" Athlain asked, rolling his eyes. I did not like it when they played pranks on Athlain or me, and they did not, thankfully, pull them on my brother Ra, probably a good thing. BUT that did not ever stop me from being impressed by their abilities. They could not handle weapons of any fashion with any degree of expertise; they barely rode and never raced; but, when it came to pranks, they were the undefeated masters.

"Thyna dear, we are in need of your assurance, certainty, that you will win the race tomorrow," Mae intoned with the same sticky, dripping quality her sister had used. "We have a friendly bet with Berwain's little sister that you will win and we cannot lose because, well- we don't want to, but also because we bet those lovely hair ribbons Aunt Serene brought us from Sadrith Mora." Cai was matter-of-fact.

I was just listening, trying to keep from laughing at them, which was never a good thing.

Mae threw in just to be sure "You know- the ones that change color to match what we are wearing?" As if I didn't know what they were talking about.

"If Father finds out that you've been betting, especially something like that, you will be kneading dough and washing dishes until next Frost Fall." Athlain could be such a ninny sometimes. Of course the only thing he did to get in trouble was follow me. I think the only reason Aunt Baria and Uncle Trey let him keep playing with me was because they, like Mother, believed he actually kept me from doing some things. I enjoyed Athlain's company; at least he had more than one brain cell, so I wasn't going to tell them any different.

"Well, I fully intend to win, can't think of any reason this year will be any different than the past… how many times have I won this one Athlain; I can't remember."

I could feel the daggers coming from Athlain's eyes, "I hate you."

I smiled, "I know. That's why you never spend any time with me." And I cocked my head to the side and fluttered my eyelashes.

A foot stomping the ground drew our attention back to the girls. "This is not the least bit funny you two," Cai pouted.

"Can you not take anything seriously, Athynae? I mean really, you of all people should understand how unfulfilling it is to lose," Mae finished.

"How would I know that?" I had my favorite look on my face, the one that made me appear to be the idiot of Under-Skar.

"OOHH!!!!!!! You know what I mean! You are so hateful! Why can't you just work with us here?" Mae fumed.

"You two got out of sequence there; maybe you need to work on that." I gave them my best
"helpful advice" look.

At that they both spun around and headed out of the stables, leaning in to resume their verbal rumble. It really did look quite frightening sometimes.

The next day started early for everyone involved in the races, as well as the multitude of spectators. The older competitors were requested to observe and be supportive of the younger racers. I didn't have an issue with the support part and I would definitely be there to watch Rahvin's race, but I wasn't a good spectator.

I slipped to the stables just to sit with Lumhara for a few minutes before I needed to go watch Rah race. Then it would be time to get her saddled and warmed up for her moment in the sun. I walked to her stall and as I passed I pulled the rag from the hook. She stuck her head over the door and before I got close I wiped her chin off; she had a tendency to slobber some and "some" with a mouth that big was actually a lot. I didn't mind though; I kept a goo rag for just this reason because she was the most wonderful guar I had ever seen. I would have tolerated far more from her than just cascades of slobber, but thankfully it wasn't necessary. I nudged her under the chin with my head and wrapped my arms around her neck and she made a little sound in her throat like she had swallowed a flute that was out of tune.

"I love you too girl. Are you ready to race today?" She pushed at me and started shaking her head back and forth and her eyes lit up. "That's what I thought; you are always ready to race. How did I get so lucky?" I patted her neck and then put a hand on each side of her face "Race fair, and fly fast and we will win, right?" and she bobbed her head almost like she was nodding. "I gotta go watch Rahbrat, I'll be back and then we'll go show all of them how grand you are." And she made a loud warble sound. I really think she understood some of what I said.

I started toward the finish line and just as I got to the spot under the observation deck that Mother shared with the rest of the council the cheers went up. They were in the last stretch from Bal Isra. Rahvin and two other kids were almost side by side. The others were a girl from the coast and a boy from Vivec. Rah glanced toward me and at just the right time I dropped my head in a nod. He gave a shrill whistle and Star shot forward like an arrow from a bow. Rah beat the other two by at least a guar length; Star was almost as fast as Lumhara and Cos Mear. In fact, the only reason she wasn't as fast was because she was smaller than them.

Mother and Father were off of the deck in the winner's circle by the time Rah reached it. I stayed where I was because well, just because; it's the way Rah and I did things. We couldn't actually let anyone know we liked each other. We even went as far as to stage fights on occasion just for show. Of course Athlain knew the truth, but he wouldn't tell. Rah looked at me as Father took him from Star's saddle. I winked at him, smiled and gave him our secret hand signal; he beamed, and so did I. As far as little brothers go, I was a lot luckier than most.

Rah might not be good with a sword but he was something else all together in the laboratory and an exceptional archer just to let you know. He was 4 years younger than me and had already invented a number of new potions. I was the adventurer; he was the alchemist. Mother and Father had resorted to building him an outdoor lab because of the intermittent noises and aromas that emanated from his room. Sometimes his experiments had more enthusiasm than science behind them. His latest creation was a potion that made the creature that took it change colors, like a rainbow sort of and it lasted for several days. Mother had tested to make sure it wasn't dangerous before he actually tried it on anything living. It was great.

I returned to the stables to get Lumhara ready for the race and I bumped into Mae and Cai.

"Sorry about yesterday Thyna." Mae spoke first.

And of course Cai followed "Yeah, sorry Thyna."

"It's ok, I do understand, I was giving you a hard time yesterday. You know that, don't you? I do not compete in anything without every intention of winning."

"Will you let us make it up to you?" Mae was at the top of the flop today. I wondered if they had a system- or if it was just random.

"What? There's nothing to make up, I just said…"

"Yeah, but we would feel better if you'd let one of us lead Lumhara to the starting line and hold her 'til the banner drops." Cai of course.

I didn't feel comfortable with this at all, but I had two choices and I didn't like either of them. If I said no I would definitely pay a price later. If I said yes, I'd go ahead and pay the price now and get it over with. All I knew for certain was that something was up.

"If you insist, but think about what you are getting ready to do." There might be some that were fooled by those two, but I was not one of them.

I saddled and warmed Lumhara to prep her and met Athlain heading toward the starting line. "They caught me." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah I figured; they caught me too, but I already told Rahvin I needed him to do it so I was off the hook." He gave a huge fake smile.

"I hate you."

"Yeah I know, that's why you never spend any time with me. But I guess I could find a new best friend." And he pulled my raised eyebrow look. I still did it better.

"Well you could, but they wouldn't be nearly as much fun as I am."

"Right, that's the biggest reason there is for me to run as fast as I can and find a new one."

This was a weekly conversation, almost like our own private club or something. "Yeah but you can't because," and I wiggled my fingers in front of his face, "I, my dear Athlain, cast a spell on you that makes you find me irresistible."

"I can't resist wanting to put a spell on your mouth to keep it shut."

We both laughed.

We reached the edges of the throng and there waiting for us were Mae and Cai and Rahvin. Cai was making goo goo eyes at Rah, like she always did. I still didn't get it; they were too young to even know if they were friends.

Rahvin knew the drill; he had done this for both Athlain and me several times before. I crooked my finger at Mae; Cai was lost somewhere between here and Masser. "Just hold the short lead Mae; you are really only walking with us; she knows what to do but the rules state that we have to be led to the starting line so…."

"I know; do you think I'm stupid?" she tossed over her head as she moved toward the starting line.

She seriously did not just ask me that.
I could have answered, but I was concerned that it would make an already bad situation worse. I did not trust this girl as far as I could throw Lumhara but she didn't seem to be hiding anything and there weren't any bulges in her clothing. She didn't even have pins in her hair today; it was hanging in braids. The tension eased just a little, but not much.

Berwain reached the starting line just before we did and the other two racers were almost to the line as well. Berwain looked at Mae and said, "You are gonna lose that bet with my sister, Red- and when you do I hope your face matches your hair."

Mae didn't say anything, she just reached up to rub Lumhara's nose like she hadn't heard him. The horn sounded us to the ready, then sounded again to signal the handlers to step out, and Mae gave Lumhara's nose another pat. Lumhara licked her hand as she stepped away and just as the banner dropped the world spun like the little wooden top that Ra played with.

Instinctively I tightened my legs around her front quarter and grabbed the saddle horn with my left hand. We were flying, then we were falling, then we were spinning. I couldn't even focus enough to direct her with the bridle. I reached down as deep as I could so my voice was like the guar master's and I bellowed, "LUMHARA- ENOUGH!"

She hesitated just long enough for me to assess and direct. The pillars of the old Ghostfence flew past and then it was all speed and holding on until the turn. I tucked in as close to her neck as I could, she dropped her head and the world became a blur as we screamed toward the old Ghostgate. I did not know what Mae the Mad had done, but you could rest assured I would find out and there would be a counter attack. I was concerned for Lumhara more than anything. She was running faster than a cliff racer could fly; the only thing that I could think of that would do that was a fortify speed potion- a strong one.

Next thing I knew I heard guar feet thundering behind me and I tucked my head to look under my arm. Berwain was not far behind, but beyond him Athlain and Cos Mear were nowhere close and Cos Mear and Lumhara were very closely matched speed wise. So the Bug Stain had cheated. Well, I would never be able to prove that I wasn't responsible for this unless I just dropped myself from the race. And that was exactly what I intended to do as soon as I could get Lumhara to stop, which could be a few minutes or sometime next week…. Mae and Cai would rue the day on this one.

Berwain was laughing behind me because he thought he was catching up. Well what's done is done, so he needs a lesson in messing with the rules AND with me. I leaned into Lumhara's neck and I hummed. I'm not sure why it worked- it just did. For Star Ra whistled and she would take off, for Lumhara it was humming, that or my lack of musical ability, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid. She left all of them, Berwain included.

We made the turn at Ghostgate and started for home. I tried to feel for any problems the potion might be causing but found none. Her heart and her breathing were a bit accelerated but that was to be expected under the circumstances. I really needed something worthy of this for Mae and Cai. I looked up toward the finish line and heard from far behind me Berwain's voice shouting "She cheated! She had to! There is no way that broken down old guar could beat me, NO WAY!"

Rahvin, Mother and Father were standing at the finish line when I crossed. It was not easy getting Lumhara to stop but she finally decided she was done and dropped her head so I could dismount. The look in her eyes was absolutely heart breaking. She did not know what had happened. "It's ok girl, I promise, it's ok. We'll get you to the stables and cooled down and I'll get Mother to take a look. You'll be fine." I don't know if she understood but I hoped she did.

Berwain crossed the finish line about that time still spouting about me cheating. I walked toward the judges' tower as Rahvin came toward me. "Rahvin will you please walk her for me? I have something to take care of."

"Sure Sis, what happened? You scared me." His eyes were red rimmed.

I mussed his hair "It's ok, promise. I am fine and Lumhara is fine. I can't say the same for your girlfriend and her sister though." And I gave him a disgusted look. "I'll tell you later, ok?" He turned toward the stables with Lumhara.

"Hey Sis?" I turned "She is NOT my girlfriend!" and he continued on his walk away from me.

Berwain was coming at me full on and I was ready for the crash but he stopped just short and jabbed his finger in my chest. "You cheated! I will have you banned from racing forever!"

"I cheated? Me?"

"Yes you, elf-witch" and he narrowed his eyes still with his finger pressed at the top of my chest just beneath my throat.

"If you do not get your stubby, dirty finger off of me, I am going to remove it for you and if I do the only way you will get it back is when I feed it to you," I whispered so just he could hear. He moved his finger, good choice. "Now cheating is not something that I practice, I have no need to cheat because I just don't. Now that is not to say that there was not some other person that put something into the mix and so I am going to take care of this. Are you ready to be the winner of the race, Berwain?"

The smile on his face was monumental and I let it stay there for all of about three steps. "Too bad! You remember that threat you made about me not racing for the rest of my life? Yea, well, it just bit you on your cheating behind!" and I turned back toward the judges' stand.

I knew he was going to try to jump me from behind, Goody I do get to punch him in the nose. I turned just as he reached me and put my right arm out stiff, with the heel of my hand right on the tip of his bulbous nose. Crunch. Crap, I didn't mean to break it. And he screamed like a girl.

Leaving him there, holding his face, I spoke to the judge, "Sera, I apologize for what happened here today and my part in it. I did not know it but my racer was given a fortify speed potion and to be fair I am removing myself from the race. I would also like to request a full check of Berwain's mount as I believe he was dosed as well." I felt Mother's hands on my shoulders as I finished my little speech.

"Are you ok?" Mother's eyes bored into mine like she was trying to see to the other side of Nirn through my boots.

"I am fine Mama, but will you please go check on Lumhara and make sure she wasn't harmed permanently?"

"I will check my sweet but there are not ordinarily lasting effects from just one dose of fortify speed. I am proud of you and what you did, that was the right thing to do."

"Yes ma'am, I know. I could not accept a win under those conditions. If I cannot win fair and square, I need to lose."

We turned to head toward the stables and Berwain yelped, "You broke my nose! You'll pay for this!"

Mother started to turn, and Father was already out of sight, trying to catch up with Ra I'm sure, so I cleared my throat to get her attention. She looked up just as Uncle Seth and Uncle Trey stepped out of the crowd. Berwain took a step toward me as I moved in front of Mother. There was no way I was going to let her pull the Arch Mistress card for this. But instead Uncle Seth was there; he bent over and whispered to Bug Stain, just loud enough for those closest to hear:

"You take one more step and she will consider it a challenge. Do you want to meet her in the arena tomorrow morning?" I loved that look, I just loved it, the one he gave Berwain, a look that said 'I could wipe up the floor with you.' But this time the look was a conveyance for me. It was really hard not to jump up and down and yell, "Take another step, please, oh please, oh please!"

This post has been edited by Athynae: Feb 26 2012, 04:38 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Feb 26 2012, 05:38 PM
Post #46

Wise Woman
Group Icon

OHHHH! *jumping up and down, dancing around* I'm speechless! Talking about elf-witches.....Are you SURE you haven't a tiny bit of dunmer blood in you, Athynae? How else can you explain how you actually did THIS!??

I hereby pronounce you The Ultimate Author Of The Tales Of The Children Of Trey of High Rock And Serene of Cyrodiil....

Athlain, Athynae, Mae, Cai and Rahvin...YOU make their childhood ....well AWESOME is the understatement of the day!

Sitting here with my cup of coffee, smiling, re-reading the whole part and just ENJOYING it.

That Athlain and Athynae will develop their relationship is very nicely implied here and we know how it will turn out...ehhh almost anyway, there will be some events during the journey, that I'm sure of....then it's Rahvin, my sweet little boy....So much looking forward to read more about his early ages....YAYYYY.

I wonder, will Uncle S take part in his life as well? I bet he will....oh aye I bet he will. Our grumpy assassin has a knack for kids that we were not aware of before ..or were we? wink.gif

S.G.M

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Feb 26 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #47

Councilor
Group Icon

If I wasn't sure that the headphones would just break, and I know that the kids really aren't ready for Duran Duran at this volume, I would so be dancing right now... biggrin.gif ...

That was just incredible...Unbelievable...Wonderful...Amazing...All of the above...

Soooo good...

Anyone notice it was long? huh.gif ...Not me...Absolutely perfect...

Oh hells I loved this...

Best of anything I've read of yours so far...And that's saying something...

Amazing stuff...Truly...

*Bows down*...Soooo good...

Nice one X Infinity...

*Applauds till his hands hurt*...

This post has been edited by McBadgere: Feb 26 2012, 08:05 PM
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Feb 26 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #48

Master
Group Icon

While the other updates were unquestionably good, you really opened up with this one and let it all out. You just went from merely carrying a tune to belting out like a Diva!

Seems like your finally over your stagefright and not afraid to let your whole superstar shine out.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 27 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

I can def understand why you could not break this one apart. It was daunting to see that many words on a chapter, but reading them was not - riveting chapter! I couldn't stop reading from the first words, totally awesome write and immersion into the Morrowind culture of the different Houses - Loved this addition !!! Loved Seth's intervention at the end too, no threat of his own there, ROFL !!! Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 3 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #50

Master
Group Icon

Such a rotten old doggie to have not commented until now- but here is hoping it will lure the Redoran princess back from staring at pictures of her grand-elf...

The first thing to note is the world-building aspect contained in the “why” of the races and other competitions. The way it fits with Redoran traditions adds depth and dimension.

The only name that I could not stand was known by one other person and there is no way on Nirn Athlain would tell- because he knew what would happen if he did.

A mystery to ponder… hmmm.

Of course the only thing he did to get in trouble was follow me. I think the only reason Aunt Baria and Uncle Trey let him keep playing with me was because they, like Mother, believed he actually kept me from doing some things. I enjoyed Athlain's company; at least he had more than one brain cell, so I wasn't going to tell them any different.

Dontcha always love how the different parents think the OTHER kid is the "good influence?"

I could feel the daggers coming from Athlain's eyes, "I hate you."

I smiled, "I know. That's why you never spend any time with me." And I cocked my head to the side and fluttered my eyelashes.

There are more examples of this banter- and I quoted several of them. The thing is- it just fits.

She stuck her head over the door and before I got close I wiped her chin off; she had a tendency to slobber some and "some" with a mouth that big was actually a lot.

Seemingly tiny details (although a guar mouth and "tiny" don't really go together) are what bring a story to life. And that is an example.

Getting to know more about Rahvin is also a treat- we again learn a lot about Athynae by how she interacts with her brother.

He gave a huge fake smile.

"I hate you."

"Yeah I know, that's why you never spend any time with me. But I guess I could find a new best friend." And he pulled my raised eyebrow look. I still did it better.

"Well you could, but they wouldn't be nearly as much fun as I am."

"Right, that's the biggest reason there is for me to run as fast as I can and find a new one."

This was a weekly conversation, almost like our own private club or something. "Yeah but you can't because," and I wiggled my fingers in front of his face, "I, my dear Athlain, cast a spell on you that makes you find me irresistible."

"I can't resist wanting to put a spell on your mouth to keep it shut."

Mentioned the banter- and there it is again- AND in such a way as to give continuity.

He turned toward the stables with Lumhara.

"Hey Sis?" I turned "She is NOT my girlfriend!" and he continued on his walk away from me.

Younger brothers- yep.

I knew he was going to try to jump me from behind, Goody I do get to punch him in the nose.

Yes that one made me laugh out loud.

As did this:

It was really hard not to jump up and down and yell, "Take another step, please, oh please, oh please!"

"Long" did you say? I did not notice; I was too busy reading and cheering and laughing.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 10 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #51

Knower
Group Icon

@McB- Um, don't quite know what to say…
"Best of anything I've read of yours so far...And that's saying something..."

Wow! Thank you thank you, I am thrilled that you are enjoying it. I just hope I can keep it up there.
And there goes that dancing, DISCO dancing badger again, what an image!!! LOL!

*note* I wouldn't introduce them to Duran Duran quite yet either, if yours are anything like mine they would be rolling in the floor with their hands over their ears yelling "Make it stop, make it stop!"

@mALX- J I was concerned about the length but there really wasn't a good place to split it so I am happy that no one seems to have been offset by the length. Thank you for the comments, I am happy you are reading.

The purpose of this for me is just building this character's world, and these are all 'visions' I had of her when I first put pen to paper on her behalf. I'm just strange that way I guess, any character that appears it seems as soon as I give them a name they have a complete life that sort of explains why they are the way they are. Anyway, glad you are here….THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH!

@minque and Black Hand- BOTH OF YOU! Left me twisting my toe in the dirt and speechless with your comments!

-minque-
"I hereby pronounce you The Ultimate Author Of The Tales Of The Children Of Trey of High Rock And Serene of Cyrodiil...."

What am I supposed to say to that one minque? Other than bowing my head and accepting the compliment and saying
I do so hope that I can live up to what has been set before me by these characters parents and their parents writers'
Through Athynae Seth will be in both lives as he touches one he will also touch the other, in this universe anyway.biggrin.gif

-Black Hand-
I hope I didn't use all of my oxygen on just one note…..smile.gif

THANK YOU BOTH from the bottom of my heart….I sure do love this girl….

@treydog- Oh haha, NO! you cannot lure me back from staring at pictures of the grand elf! I have a picture of her in front of me NOW as a matter of fact, just to the side of my computer screen, so mmeehh….she sure is something else…J

Just keep ponderin' the name cuz she ain't tellin and neither is he…

In this case both sets know that Thyna is the adventuresome one and both sets think Athlain slows her down a bit…little do they know…

And the rest I will bunch into a lump. Thyna is two separate people, the one everyone sees on the outside, and the one she knows lives on the inside. She just refuses to let anyone see how 'soft' she is, how much she truly 'cares' because that would change things from the way she wants them to be. Rahvin is a sweet boy that adores his big sister but gives as well as he gets, it's a little easier to 'see' when his feelings are hurt and as hard as Thyna can be on him at times she would take a dagger to the gut in a heartbeat for him, or pound the face of a bully that did as little as touch a hair on his head. Um, has anyone noticed she seems to go overboard just a bit???

To all of you, I appreciate your continued reading and I hope that this continues to entertain you as I take you further into the life of a Redoran princess….

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 10 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #52

Knower
Group Icon

I didn't really intend for this to happen this way but it seems the Princess of Trouble is insisting that I follow up on the previous story with the next few entries.

Recap: Athynae competed in a guar race, a big yearly competition supposedly for the 'best of the best' kind of thing. Mae and Cai decided to dose her guar with a 'fortify speed' potion before the race but then turns out that a nemesis that is racing has also dosed his guar. She concedes the race out of fairness but also accuses Berwain "Bug Stain" Arenim of cheating.

Now, let's see what she has in mind for PAYBACK.

Father was at the stables with Rah; Uncle Trey and Uncle Seth walked with Mother and I to join them; Aunt Baria was forcing Athlain to sit still for a few moments while she did a basic sketch that she would later turn into a wonderful painting. Mae and Cai had not been seen since the banner dropped to start the race. Athlain would take the win and he deserved it, but this would not be one that he teased me with. I really wished it were. Cheating just made no sense to me; what joy was there in a win that one had to cheat to have? That was just stupid.

Father hugged me. "We men are going to go do men things." Which meant brandy and hackle-lo pipes at the club. "I am thankful you are safe. I am proud of you." And he kissed me on the forehead before he shook Rah's hand, something Rah had just recently started insisting on rather than physical affection from Father. I thought it was stupid personally, but it wasn't me. "I'll be home later my love." And he hugged Mother and kissed her soundly. I had seen other kids' parents that barely spoke to one another and never touched, much less kissed. If I couldn't find someone that treated me the way Father treated Mother, I'd just grow old without. I didn't like boys anyway so it couldn't be any great sacrifice. Well, I kinda liked Athlain, as a friend. We knew each other better than any two people I knew, so good we could finish each other's sentences. I think maybe that's why our arguments went so far so fast- as soon as one of us said something, we already knew what the other was going to say. So, we'd probably be better off just going straight to infuriated "I hate yous" and "I never want to talk to you again." But it never stuck; usually before the day was over so was the mad.

"Your Highness." Uncle Seth whispered right into my ear and scared the scrib jelly out of me. I turned toward him and smacked his chest.

"Don't do that! Stop sneaking up on me!"

"Someday I hope you pay attention well enough that no matter what you are doing nothing can sneak up on you. Keep practicing."

"I was thinking. I have lots to think about you know. I am not the idle kid that everyone seems to think I am." I had my hands on my hips and was wearing my mad look.

He giggled. "Yes I know, idle and Princess of Trouble are quite opposite, yes. What were you thinking so hard about?" Raised eyebrow meant he had some ideas, fiddlesticks!

"Nothing. Well, nothing important anyway." I dropped my hands and shrugged my shoulders and tried to look the other direction so he wouldn't do that bore a hole through my head thing he seemed to be able to do.

"Right, nothing. Well I am going to say one thing that may or may not have anything to do with what you were thinking at that moment, but I have no doubt that you either have already thought about it or will be shortly. Take care with whatever you are scheming, do you hear me? The punishment needs to match the crime, and no one was injured AT ALL, right?" He was whispering so no one else would hear.

"I know Uncle Seth but how did you know what happened? You weren't even there."

"You should not make assumptions based on what you 'see;' that's something else you need to learn."

And he touched his forefinger to my forehead. It was the same thing as kissing me there or at least it always felt that way, a combination of endearment and a reminder- "use your greatest weapon."

"They could have hurt Lumhara; they could have been responsible for one of the other racers or their mounts being injured; or she could have charged into the crowd."

"Or you?" and he slowly shook his head at me with a 'tsk 'tsk look.

"Yeah, whatever. I can't just let that go now can I? I was the one riding; if someone had been injured it would have ultimately been my responsibility for losing control."

"Athynae, no one else would have thought that." He said it but I think he knew better.

"Right. One: who would believe I didn't dose her? And two: I would have felt that way." To me that was the most important because it was true.

"You are the only one that believes everyone thinks the worst of you; you know that, right?" I wanted to ask him who he was trying to convince, him or me, but that would not have ended well for me. We had had that argument before.

"I know you say it, but you don't see the looks I get. Thing is, I don't care what anyone thinks except Mother, Father, Aunt Baria and Uncle Trey, and you. But even what all of you think is not as important as what I know. I am honest, I try my best to be fair, I do not ever cheat at anything and I try to be good to both of the brats. I just don't change her nappies. My adventures are not an attempt to hurt anyone, unless of course they ask for it." And I gave a quick nod with a "hmph" for emphasis.

Uncle Seth just listened to my speech, not reacting. He simply stated at the end "Yes, I know."

Rah came out of the stable and headed toward me as Uncle Seth added, "I know better than to advise you to tell Baria or Trey, but I trust you to choose something equal.
Rahvin, do you think you can keep an eye on your sister for me?"

"If I say 'yes,' Uncle Seth it would be a lie. She disappears faster than a shalk beetle into the dirt." Rah rolled his eyes toward me and I tried not to smile.

"Right. You two just keep your noses clean." And Uncle Seth touched his forefinger to Rah's forehead just as he had mine.

"I always use my brain Uncle Seth," it was just a matter of fact "One of us has to." I punched his arm. "OW! What'd ya do that for? I was just speaking the truth, dear sister."

"I'm the one with the brain remember? I even have yours, Rahbrat. I used your alembic to suck it out through your nose." And I looked at him like I would be more than happy to do it again.

Uncle Seth was walking away but his shoulders were shaking slightly, obviously trying to keep us from knowing he was amused by our back and forth.

"Mother is checking Lumhara but she'll be here shortly so we don't have much time."

Rah was not as adventurous as I but he was a great conspirator. I just wasn't sure I wanted him to be a part of this yet if at all.

"Time for what?" acting like I was clueless.

"Don't even start that with me; it isn't fair. I know you're gonna do something and you are not gonna shut me out. I'll tell Mama if you try."

"Uh huh, you go ahead and tell brat. See what Mama finds out about her little angel…" I pulled the both eyebrows raised look and added a slight smile.

"Dang it Naynay, I want to help. They tried to hurt you." He was a good whiner, I give him that, and he could pull that 'pretty please' look even better than I did.

"First of all Rah, I do not for one second think they were trying to hurt me so let that one go, ok?" I made sure he nodded before I continued, "I don't think they were trying to hurt anyone; they just didn't want to lose that silly bet with Bug Stain's little sister, and they didn't see what they did as cheating because I was the one riding and I didn't do the dosing. They are not like that; they just don't like to lose and they see things in their own special way."

"Are you two ready to go home?" Mother exited the stables and joined us.

"Mama, can I please stay until Athlain brings Cos Mear in? I just want to talk to him for a few minutes. I'll come straight home after."

"Sure, I understand. And before you ask, young man, the answer is no, you cannot stay with her. This is something she needs to talk to him about without an audience." Rahvin bowed up and started to argue, but he looked at me and I tried to express with my eyes that was what I wanted and he got it, so he just sighed and crossed his arms.
They started toward Under-Skar and Rah said something to Mother and she stopped while he ran back to me. "Naynay, please come and talk to me when you get home. Please?" UGH! That look again.

"OK, but Rah I honestly haven't even thought about what happened to any great extent. I just want to make sure Athlain knows what happened. And congratulate him for the win."

"Right, you think about everything all at once; I know that." And he turned and raced back to Mother and they were on their way.

I climbed up on the paddock fence and waited and thought. I heard a sound from the back of the stables and Mae and Cai came around the corner of the building. I wasn't angry really so I didn't pretend I was.

They both started talking at once and it was a jumbled up mess of 'we're sorry didn't mean for that to happen' before Mae took over the apology. "Athynae we really didn't mean anything bad to happen but when we came to the stable to find you before the race Berwain was talking to his sister and we overheard him say he was going to win if he had to give his guar a 'fortify speed' potion. We couldn't let him cheat and beat you so we evened the chances."

That was a possibility I hadn't considered. So it wasn't just because they wanted to win the bet, well, not really, and it wasn't just coincidence that Berwain had dosed his guar. He had started this. It was all his fault.

"I don't think I will thank you; I hope you understand. Why didn't you tell someone what you heard?"

Yes, I get it, everyone thinks I don't tell anything but that isn't true, if it's more than I can deal with I do tell, REALLY, I do.

Mae and Cai looked at each other like they had missed something and Cai was on deck, "Really? Tell someone? Would you have told anyone?"

Suddenly I felt like my mother and I wanted to say, "Don't do what I do, do what I say." Instead I replied, "I do tell sometimes, if I…wait, it doesn't matter what I would have done. You two did this, not me. You both know I would NEVER cheat in a competition but you did it anyway. And you could have hurt my guar or one of the other riders or their mounts OR somebody in the crowd." Yep, I sounded just like my mother.

"We knew you would make sure that didn't happen. You're a good rider." She was trying to use compliments to butter me up. Obviously Mae had forgotten about my dislike for butter.

"I am a good rider, but I wasn't ready for the way Lumhara acted; I almost fell off!" I stopped talking when the Treyson Terrors started laughing. I wanted to choke them both or clobber them. I cocked my head to one side and held back, letting my expression show my anger, posing a question without actually speaking.

Their muted giggles became full blown guffaws and Cai gained enough air to say, "You should have seen it Thyna," and she was reduced again as Mae took short bursts of air to gain enough oxygen to speak.

"You went around and we thought you were gonna take off the wrong way, then she jumped straight up and turned around again" hahahahaha "And …"hahahahaha

I was just standing there staring at them, barely holding on to my composure, "Then Lumhara started hopping up and down like she was in a sack race. Thyna it was hilarious."

"So glad we could entertain you." Breathe, count, breathe, count, do not look mad. "I can imagine what it looked like. I sure wish I could show you from my view point when I thought I had lost my seat." They missed the intensity of my meaning.

"We didn't mean to scare you, Thyna. And no one got hurt. And Berwain didn't win. So, it all turned out just right." The two of them traded off, trying to explain what they thought was important- both missing the real point.

"Right, yes, it all turned out all right. Berwain didn't win even though he cheated. I had to drop out of the race so the judges would believe me when I said I DID NOT dose my guar so not only did Berwain lose, I had to concede the race, a race I haven't lost since I started riding." There was no angry edge to my voice, but I don't know how.

"Thyna!" Athlain's voice carried to me and I turned and waved.

"I would suggest you two make yourselves invisible for a while. Your brother won't be quite as, what's the word?" I looked up at the sky and tapped my chin. By the time I looked down again they were nowhere in sight.

"What happened? I mean I know you told the judges your guar and Berwain's were dosed but how? Who? Why?"

I leapt down from the paddock fence where I had remained perched through the encounter with the red rogues. "It's a long story. Come on and I'll tell ya while we get Cos Mear taken care of."

While we cleaned Cos Mear up and got him in his stall I gave Athlain the um, abbreviated version of the story, putting as much of the blame on Berwain the Stain as I could without it being obvious that's what I was doing. I was going to let Athlain in on whatever I decided to do to the little Hlaalu blot, but the lesson for his sisters, well, that was going to be all mine for two reasons: one, I didn't want him to get in trouble for picking on his little sisters and two, I wanted them to know they couldn't pull pranks on me without retribution from ME, only me. It wasn't a revenge thing; I thought of it more as a lesson, kind of like if you mess with the racer you get stabbed by the tail.

"So, what's the plan then, oh wise one?" Athlain could be such a smarty pants sometimes; he had been around me far too long.

"I don't know yet. This one is kind of tricky cuz he's Hlaalu and if I screw it up it could be bad not just for me but it could cause problems between the Houses. It's times like these that it stinks that Mother is the Arch Mistress." I had that disgusted look- you know where you kind of shake your head and roll your eyes.

"Why don't you talk to your mother?" I wasn't sure why he always said that but it was almost carved into the stone wall to be read every time something happened.

"Right, 'hey Mama I wanna kick Berwain's cheating butt to Sadrith Mora, can I'?" I was talking like I was five.

"I hate you."

"Yeah I know. It's ok cuz I hate you too. We hate each other so good that we spend all of our time showing everyone how great it is to hate your best friend." I was walking away from him so he had to run a couple steps to catch up. I glanced toward Under Skar and just inside the gate I saw Berwain talking to the council representative for House Hlaalu, Sera Ules. Wonder what that's all about, hhmm.

"Sometimes you make me so mad; you treat me like I'm stupid."

"No I don't. If I were treating you like you were stupid I wouldn't talk to you, I would draw pictures." I really didn't treat him like he was stupid, because he wasn't. I called him stupid sometimes but that was just when he made me mad.

"Well, I gotta go home. Thyna, I'm sorry Berwain cheated; you should have won just like you do every year."

"You are my best competition, and you could have won this year. You won the last training race, so it's only a matter of time before you leave me in the dust." Thing was, if he would just believe me for a second he would beat me but I didn't see it happening. And meanwhile, I wasn't going to let up; he had to meet me up here, because I wasn't going to push him up the hill. I would just keep pulling till he got it.

"Yea, whatever. Just keep me posted on the Berwain front. I'm all in but you knew that already."

"See ya. I've got alchemy lessons with Mother tomorrow morning; wanna spar tomorrow afternoon?"

"Bring potions."

"Always."

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 10 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #53

Councilor
Group Icon

Oooh...Niiiice...

Revenge!!!...Cold and precise... biggrin.gif ...Niiiice...

Loved the whole way Thyna was seething without losing it, and I loved the way the sisters just Did. Not. Get. It...So nicely done...

This made me laugh...

"I'm the one with the brain remember? I even have yours, Rahbrat. I used your alembic to suck it out through your nose."

Love these little lines that you put in there...Always a joy to read... laugh.gif ...

Looking forward to the next part where the little slice of revenge pie gets served up in a big old dish made of ice...Oh yes... biggrin.gif ...
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 11 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #54

Wise Woman
Group Icon

"The making of a Princess" Title says it all....thing is YOU make it happen! I draw similarities with the Swedish Royal family...Our crown Princess Victoria! She also has that burden on her shoulders to be the next Queen of Sweden...and Athynae will probably be the next Arch Mistress of The House Redoran....if everything goes as it shall... blink.gif

Thyna's interactions with Athlain are priceless....I can actually see them both and above all I can HEAR them...just exactly as I figured and their relation as treydog describes in "present time" is just so naturally coming judging from how they are when they are kiddos.

The little chemist is very promising, Rahvin is probably more intelligent than all of you thinks! I can see huge potential in him especially when his life for now is in YOUR competent hands..or dashboard.....yay I'm soo looking forward to hear more.

I was planning to write, I actually started but then I was ill and have been for the last week.. (yeah weak excuse but still an excuse).

So Ms Royal Redoran Honored Author.....More please!???/

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 11 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #55

Ancient
Group Icon

"I'll be back" (said in an Arnold voice) - this is too long to catch right now, but I'll be back to read when I have enough time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 13 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

Absolutely loved "Uncle Seth's" role in this chapter. In his story he has this unreachable side, but there is a tangible piece of him that matches this story's portrayal !! Awesome Write !!

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 14 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #57

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Mar 13 2012, 12:02 AM) *

Absolutely loved "Uncle Seth's" role in this chapter. In his story he has this unreachable side, but there is a tangible piece of him that matches this story's portrayal !! Awesome Write !!

And THAT is the charm of Sethyas Velas! He is one kind of a man...in all stories where he's appearing he is DIFFERENT! That makes him extremly interesting to involve....I've had him in more than half of my story...so far and more to come! ohmy.gif

Now Uncle Seth can be very nice and sweet to young children.... tongue.gif

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 16 2012, 02:25 AM
Post #58

Knower
Group Icon

@McB- Yea , she does seem to simmer just below the boiling point, and she does it so well, lol. Thanks for pointing out the 'little' things too, much appreciated. Thanks so much for reading and being so supportive, I am so glad you are here an getting a kick out of Thyna and her antics…

@mALX- Thank you, I am glad you are here. Yes, there are many facets to Sethyas Velas, he doesn't often show the 'soft' side but he will step in for these kids in a second, secretively if necessary. Flip side of that is that he will read the kids the riot act just as fast….

@minque- Ms Royal Redoran Honored Author my goodness, that's um, well, my goodness…I am so happy you are pleased with the way things are going with the kiddos. Yes, the relationship they have now is slowly merging into the relationship they will have, the amalgamation of adolescent familiarity and adult relationship is in process certainly. Thing is it might take a bit still for them to truly 'see' what's happening. (Just a little teaser for BOTM there. J)

Rahvin is all that you said and then some. He is extremely intelligent as are all of Serene's children, Trey's kids aren't slackers by any stretch either but look who both of their parents are….He is as much a joy to work with as Thyna I must say, he has a color all his own.

Now, as far as your writing goes I am looking forward to your return to the story of Serene, I will gladly concede the title of Ms Royal Redoran Honored Author back to its original owner….

Thanks to all who read and enjoy The Making of a Princess, if you are enjoying reading half as much as I am enjoying writing then you are happy indeed…

--------------------
+Quote Post
Athynae
post Mar 16 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #59

Knower
Group Icon

And now part 2 of Payback

Thyna has learned that the Treyson Terrors, Mae and Cai, overheard Berwain discussing dosing his guar with a fortify speed potion before the race. She was quite angry with the girls for their part, causing Thyna to have to conceded the win because her guar was dosed by them, but upon hearing why they did it she is still quite peeved with them but not nearly as much as she is at Berwain...

Let's see what happens next....

"Athynae?" Mother's voice broke through my concentration as I sat reading one of the books on ancient magic. "I apologize for being late but I had visitors. Berwain's parents came to see me." I almost landed in the floor when I spun around on the stool where I was sitting.

"What? Why would they come and see you? To apologize for that cheat they call a son?" The sting of what had happened was still quite fresh, half a day and an entire night had passed and I was still so steamed I hadn't even thought about what I was going to do. It was never a good idea to lay the ground work for a plan when you were still this angry, something was bound to go wrong.

"Young lady I will not have you speaking like that about someone. He is still a person. Do you understand me?" She already had her 'loons in a twist and I had just given them another turn.

"Yes ma'am but Mother I am only speaking the truth. And if he hadn't cheated Mae and Cai would not have felt obligated to even the odds and I would not have had to concede the race." I was just a tad indignant about the whole thing.

"Oh, my dear, no they weren't here to apologize at least that wasn't the main reason. Sera Ules the representative for the Hlaalu council is insisting that something be done to restore Berwain's honor since you tainted it."

"Since I did what? Oh no, you have got to be kidding me? HE IS THE ONE THAT CHEATED!" Why did the gods allow so many stupid people to roam Nirn?

"I know Athynae and I am sorry but this could cause conflict between the two houses and disrupt the peace here. I know that is a heavy burden to carry for a child but that is the way it is. Berwain's parents are good people and they do not wish to cause problems, that's why they came to me, to keep Sera Ules from getting anyone stirred up before something could be done." She had sat down next to me and had that 'this is very important please listen' look.

"I like Sera Arenim and his wife, they have always been nice to me. How they could end up with that" Mother put her finger over my mouth to shush me.

"Just listen please. I do not want there to be any question or doubt about your honor or the honor of MY HOUSE, when this is over so I have sent the Arenim's back to Ules with the proposition of a challenge, not unlike a proper challenge except the rules will be set like a tournament match. I am sure he will be agreeable, he thinks Berwain has not only been thwarted but is also a great fighter." And Mother actually smiled and winked at me.

"So you are proposing that I meet him with weapons? Mother I have not seen him fight in several years, I don't know how good he is." It wasn't that I was afraid of him, far from it, but something wasn't sitting right in my head.

Mother raised an eyebrow "Does it matter? Here is what I know, you are a great fighter, one of the best for your age in Vvardenfell. Not only that but Berwain has acted dishonorably and if nothing else Azura will see to it that he beats himself if you don't. I am NOT doubting your skill in the least please understand, but you will not be the only one on your side." And she patted my leg in a gesture of reassurance. "I must go and get this planned so we can be done with it as soon as possible. I just wanted you to know what was going on before I went any further, you are good with this?" she placed her palm to my cheek.

"Do I have a choice? Seems like the only way it can be resolved." I almost snarled but it wasn't her fault so I wasn't upset with her. She kissed my forehead and departed the laboratory. And the barrage started. I wanted to throw things and scream. I wanted to go hunt that good for nothing cheat down and kick his sorry butt NOW! As much as I thought of myself as 'grown up' I knew that in the eyes of the adults I was still a kid and so was Berwain yet because of his abhorrent behavior here we were. I was going to be placed in an arena to fight him and it wasn't for bragging rights or ribbons it was for the honor of Redoran House, if I was allowed to say bad words there would have been a string of them that went all the way to the mainland and back. I hate you Berwain Arenim, you will regret this!

I don't know if I was early or Athlain was late, but either way I was ready to do something physically exerting to occupy my mind and he hadn't arrived yet. Mother had been late to our lessons because she'd had visitors and I was still a bit disturbed by what had happened, so I was distracted. I had been thinking clearly enough though that I brought my bow. It wasn't a good idea to spar with Athlain given my mood, so target practice it was.

"Hey. Wow, what world are you visiting?" I barely looked up when he greeted me.

"Just trying to figure out what in the name of the Nine happened this morning. I really hate it when things get muddled." I was still focused on something in the distance.

"OOOkkkayy. So, what is it this time? Did someone move your katana again?" He gave a laugh, which my look ended. "Seriously, I was just kidding. This isn't good is it?"

"I don't know whether it's good or bad, it just wasn't my plan." I had my brow furrowed, still thinking. I really did not like Berwain and that didn't look like it was going to change very soon.

"Are you going to tell me or do I have to let you beat it out of me?" He sat down beside me.

"Sera Arenim and his wife came to visit Mother this morning. Berwain has been shouting all over Under Skar and the outer wall that I am a liar and a cheat and it's all my fault what happened. Plus the Hlaalu representative is quite peeved that I broke Baby Stain's nose. He shouldn't have run into my hand like that. I mean I didn't swing at all- I just put up my hand so he wouldn't run into me. Is it my fault that his nose didn't stop in time? Anyway, he's just a big whiny cheater that got caught and now instead of me being able to teach him a lesson on my terms I am being called out." I shrugged.

"What? What do you mean called out?"
"You know, c a l l e d o u t…you know? Like bring your weapons and meet on the edge
of town? Not like being called out to play like a twelve year old."

"You aren't making any sense yet. Nothing new, but a point would be good any time now." He gave me a fake smile.

I rolled my eyes, "If you'd shut up, I would finish."

"Right. This is me shutting up so you can finish." He crossed his arms.

"Apparently Berwain went to the Hlaalu representative and claimed that I had been dishonorable in the race and on top of that had broken his nose so Sera Useless- I mean Ules- went to Berwain's parents and told them it was their responsibility to return honor to their name as well as House Hlaalu. They came to Mother to tell her what happened and from what Mother said they aren't very happy with Berwain either, but he is still their little piece of scrib scum. So Mother suggested a warrior's challenge to return honor to both houses. However it turns out, whoever wins, honor will be restored to both houses because we faced the public challenge." I paused and Athlain jumped in

"Um, Thyna, challenges like this are, they're, what were they thinking? I mean, Athynae, he could" and Athlain's eyes welled full "kill you." He was turning an awful shade of gray and looked like he needed one of Mother's stomach potions. If I'd been in a different mood I would have just let him keep thinking that for a while, just for the fun of it, but I wasn't really up for playing the game right now.

"You can't get rid of me that easy. It's going to be like the tournaments, I can't believe you thought, never mind. Anyway, they are working out the specifics now." I was rolling my eyes.

"Oh." Athlain's color returned along with a look of relief. "When is this 'challenge' supposed to happen?"

"In a few days as soon as they can post the notice. He is such an idiot; why did he think this was a good idea?"

"I have no idea cuz he's gonna get his hide skinned and tanned. This should be a good one for sure. Why are you so upset? You get to humiliate him in public." He pushed my shoulder.

"Yeah, I guess. I still don't know what kind of challenge it will be. Mother is planning on making it like a tournament match of sorts, so House Hlaalu can't refute the outcome. It's just more than it needs to be is all."

"I get that, but you'll still clean up the arena with him. No worries Thyna; you got this. The only one that even comes close to beating you with weapons is that kid from the Ahemussa tribe- what's his name?"

"You know, sometimes you are too much of a distraction. You are still missing the point.
This should just be between me and the Stain, not causing conflict between two Houses; this is ridiculously STUPID."

Athlain got a far away look and his eyes glazed over before he said, "But you get to fight for the honor of House Redoran. You get to show everyone you are worthy to be a Redoran Warrior." The glaze had pooled in the bottom of his eyes.

"You know Athlain, sometimes that 'honor' of yours looks a lot like your heart and you are wearing it on the wrong side of your skin." It hurt to look at him because I felt the same way about House Redoran, but that was no reason there should be a possibility of a House war. Holy guar butts and kagouti dung, how did a kid, A KID, stir up all this mess? I had stirred a lot of poop in my time, but even I hadn't gone this far.

He looked down and scuffed the ground with his foot. "You just don't get it do you? Even if I wanted to fight for the honor of House Redoran, I couldn't. I'd get my butt handed to me. And you just act like it is above you to do this or something." He had a sad look on his face that I had never seen before. It made me mad, but not at him. I was mad at the gods for not letting him be good with weapons, and at Uncle Trey for not being supportive of his efforts to learn to be a warrior, but most of all I was mad at myself, because no matter what I did to try to teach him, nothing worked. He couldn't hold a sword without hurting himself; it was just sad.

"I'm sorry Athlain; I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Of course I am proud that I CAN fight for honor and I know you know that I would be your champion, but this isn't a situation that calls for such drastic measures, that's all I'm saying."

"Oh great, I can see it now, 'And standing as champion for Athlain Treyson, son of the great Trey of High Rock, is Athynae Sarethi. Yes, she is a girl but she won't hurt herself with the swords at least."

"You are so dumb! Why do you do that to yourself? Besides that isn't going to happen anyway; everyone likes you. And you'll figure out the weapons thing- you will!" I pushed him off of our perch. "Now come on; I don't want to fight today. Let's go for some target practice. I made some new fletching, and I want to see how well it works."

"I hate you." He was getting up and dusting himself off.

"Yeah, I know, that's why you never spend any time with me." I was walking toward the archery targets.

"I could change that you know?" And he came up and pushed me from behind, just a little shove.

"Careful- I'll call you out."

As much as I wanted to teach Mae and Cai a lesson, Berwain was at the top of the list. Unfortunately, the planning had been taken out of my hands.

This post has been edited by Athynae: Mar 16 2012, 03:12 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
McBadgere
post Mar 16 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #60

Councilor
Group Icon

Fantastic!...

I absolutely love the dialogue in this story...Never fails to make me laugh... laugh.gif ...

The way it's totally Elder Scrolls world, yet the "our world"-isms in the dialogue are in no way out of place is total genius...

I love the characters and the short journal entries rather than one long story like BOTM suits the characters a lot...Though I have no doubt that a longform story would be just as brilliant... biggrin.gif ...

You've used this a couple of times and as a motif, it's beautiful... biggrin.gif ...

"I hate you."

"Yeah, I know, that's why you never spend any time with me."

Love it, love it, love it...

Revenge, in all it's glory, looked forward to...Oh yes...It is...

Nice one...

*Applauds muchly*...
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:00 PM