8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Neverwinter Nights, Another Classic RPG series
SubRosa
post Sep 16 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #41

Ancient
Group Icon

I have noticed the same thing about Obsidian. It was really glaring in FONV, where they took an open world franchise, and tried to make it as absolutely linear as possible by either blocking areas off with collision boxes (invisible force fields that prevent you from moving through them - if you open up the GECK you will see them all over the place), or by filling them up with super powered monsters that your starting character cannot survive. So no one starts an FONV game and heads straight to Vegas. They always go south along the highway to Primm. To do otherwise is simply suicide.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 20 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #42

Ancient
Group Icon

Talking about Neverwinter Nights 1 has prompted me to roll a new NWN1 toon to grind up and beat the game with. Veleda is a Sorcerer, my first mage character in one of old D&D computer games (The NWNs, BGs, IDs, and so on). Here sidekicks are Morrigan, a Faerie Dragon (I love the sparkles she leaves in her wake), and some dude from the tutorial who is a temporary companion.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Sep 20 2014, 07:29 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lopov
post Sep 20 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #43

Master
Group Icon

Mhm, she's pretty but is she vanilla or somehow modded? I'm asking because her armor is quite revealing, in a positive way of course.

--------------------
"I saw a politician the other day."
"Horrible creatures - I avoid them whenever I can."
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 20 2014, 07:33 PM
Post #44

Ancient
Group Icon

She is vanilla, mostly. The outfit is a vanilla one. I am using a mod that allows you to change the appearance of different parts of your attire, swapping out meshes and textures. But you can only pick from the things in the vanilla game. She was originally wearing a long yellow gown, which I swapped parts around to make the pantsuit thing, which seems much more practical for adventuring in.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 20 2014, 11:12 PM
Post #45

Paladin
Group Icon

Nice to see you taking a mage approach to NWN. That screen (for some reason) looks rather Morrowindesque to me. Partly the characters and partly Velada's outfit perhaps. Or I'm just crazy. tongue.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Sep 20 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #46

Ancient
Group Icon

I know what you mean, because I was thinking it too. It is the heads I think. Like in Morrowind, in NWN1 you pick from a number of heads to use, instead of being able to change the eyes, brows, noses, etc... Since the games are from the same era, they have about the same (lack of) polygons. So they look pretty much alike.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 31 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #47

Ancient
Group Icon

I am giving Neverwinter Nights 2 another try. Hopefully I can play the main campaign all the way through this time. I was inspired to port Persephone over to play, and had to do a lot of tinkering.

Importing a custom portrait was easy. It just has to be in a .tga format, at 128 x 128 pixels. You put it in your Neverwinter Nights 2\Portraits folder (not the Override folder). Then in the game open up your character sheet and double click on the picture, and it will let you change it.

I gave her a lot of feats that mimic the powers that undead have in this game: immunity to poison, fear, paralysis, and so on. That was a long list, but worked out fine. Persephone is mostly a fighting type, but she also uses some magic, most notably summoning Darryl. I originally tried going the Fighter/Sorcerer route with her. But she would have to take Sorcerer up to level 8 before she could learn the Animate Dead spell. That was way more than I wanted to put into a magic class. The Wizard was no better. Then I gave dual-classing as a Cleric a try. It turns out that by taking the Undeath Domain, Persephone was able to gain Animate Dead as a feat at 2nd level. And by taking the Death Domain, she got a Shadow she could summon at 1st level.

So now she is a 1st Level Fighter/2nd Level Cleric. I will probably be putting most of her levels into Fighter from here on out. Though I might still take a few Cleric ones to improve her summoning later on. She is my first Fighter character, and wow, even at first level in that class she is awesome. Power Attack + Cleave = a swath of dead monsters behind her.

Persephone in Faerun

She still has a big sword

She can summon Darryl (on the left)

And his other brother Darryl (on the right)

It's probably best if he didn't have any children anyway...

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Mar 31 2015, 02:41 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 31 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #48

Paladin
Group Icon

I loved seeing some shots from NWN2 as I have only played BG1, BG2 and Icewind Dale from the D&D stuff. It sure looks like NWN2 took a huge leap in terms of graphics and such! No more tiny figures on tiny green circles. Persephone (and big sword and Darryl) made the transition nicely! The last shot looks a bit Morrowindesque – just missing mushroom houses.

I'm looking forward to seeing Persephone adventures in this new land!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 12 2015, 04:08 AM
Post #49

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 16 2014, 11:50 AM) *

I have noticed the same thing about Obsidian. It was really glaring in FONV, where they took an open world franchise, and tried to make it as absolutely linear as possible by either blocking areas off with collision boxes (invisible force fields that prevent you from moving through them - if you open up the GECK you will see them all over the place), or by filling them up with super powered monsters that your starting character cannot survive. So no one starts an FONV game and heads straight to Vegas. They always go south along the highway to Primm. To do otherwise is simply suicide.

I learned this the hard way, got stuck with all my saves in a giant radscorpion nesting ground on my virgin exodus from Goodsprings heading north from the cemetary (on the 360, so couldn't console a safe exit). Finally ended up starting a new game, lol.

@ SubRosa - these shots are amazing, I never realized how good this game actually looked!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mirocu
post Apr 16 2015, 11:24 AM
Post #50

Spam Meister
Group Icon

Judging from Rosa´s pixies, Neverwinter seems just like my kind of game! If I only had energy and devotion to delve into a new franchise that is...

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Sep 16 2014, 05:50 PM) *

Sweet Jeebus! blink.gif blink.gif

What does your brain look like if you take an open world game where the player has basically total freedom to do whatever, and make it more linear than Super Mario Bros?? wacko.gif

--------------------
Lol bird

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 16 2015, 05:01 PM
Post #51

Ancient
Group Icon

All of Obsidian's games are basically that way. The truth is, I think most gamers are lost with an open world, because they don't know how to 'beat' the game. So developers like Obsidian and Bioware always make it clear where you have to go and what you have to do next.

I gave up on Neverwinter Nights 2 yesterday, after finishing Act 2 of the main campaign. I don't want to get too spoilery, but at that point you lose one of your companions, and they are replaced by another. It was a very poor trade, IMHO, and just ticked me off. I don't think I will ever give it another go. Where Neverwinter Nights 1 has much poorer graphics, and uses the older D&D 3.0 ruleset vs the 3.5 rules in NWN2, it is a much better game. It is less linear, not at all pushy with companions, and doesn't force a pre-set background upon your character.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 24 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #52

Ancient
Group Icon

I am having a lot of fun playing Persephone in Neverwinter Nights 1. I had to do a little modding magic to get Darryl into the game. I did dual class Persephone as a Fighter/Cleric to get some magic. But she has still needs another level before she can get the Animate Dead spell. Instead I found an Animate Dead feat that one of the prestige classes gets, and I used the character editor to give it to Persephone. She has teamed up with Sharwyn, an npc bard who can handle those pesky tasks like picking locks, so she has not called on Darryl much lately. But I am starting to think of discarding Sharwyn and just using the editor to up Persephone's open lock skills.

Persephone casts an Endure Elements spell on her companion Sharwyn

Taking on a Bloodsailor mage and his Eyeball Familiar

Persephone plays Halo

Another angle, that is a Flesh Golem she is attacking, and a Dire Wolf that Sharwyn summoned to help

Turning ogres into mist

Taking on a troll

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 24 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #53

Paladin
Group Icon

Neat! I was very thankful for a character editor when playing BG II. It is ever so helpful to modify classes of NPCs that have good personalities into skills/attributes that you need them to have. And combining stuff into your own character is very helpful as well.

Like Persephone, Buffy was a hybrid in BG II. Ranger (archer) with find/disarm traps, unlocking (from the thief class) and a summon critter spell from the druid side of things. In return, she ignored melee and armor.

Thanks, as ever, for sharing some screens from your game. I’m so glad you’re, once again, enjoying NWN I. There are some creepy looking foes there! Sharwyn looks like a good helper, but no one can compare to Darryl and I’m sure Persephone misses him. Although I love the dire wolf helper, It seems most of D&D is sort of designed around a 6-member team – is that the case with NWN?

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 24 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #54

Ancient
Group Icon

I was thinking of creating Teresa of the Faint Smile rather than Persephone for this time round in NWN1. I would have gone the same route you took Buffy in BG2 - Ranger with either some dual-classed rogue or druid levels. Or straight Ranger with lockpicking/trapfinding skill points and some animal summoning done via the console or character editor.

The NWN games are actually much smaller party-based games than the BGs. NWN1 allows you to have 1 companion maximum. Of course you can summon one critter as well, and your companion might be able to summon a critter as well. Plus there are Familiars, which do not count toward your one summoned critter limit. So a spellcaster might have a Familiar and summon a bear. Your companion might also summon a wolf. And you would end up with a party of five.

NWN2 allows you to have up to three companions for most of the game. During one part of the game an npc named Shandra joins your group, and you cannot dismiss her. But she does not count toward your 3 companion limit either. So for that period you have four companions. Plus familiars and summonings of course. Because of summonings and Shandra, I often had six or seven in the party in NWN2.

In other news, I did download Baldur's Gate Reloaded for Neverwinter Nights 1 and got it working. Once I beat NWN1 with my toon, I might create Teresa of the Faint Smile for that.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 24 2015, 10:27 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 24 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #55

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the info. I think I'd prefer the smaller party where each character does several of the 'required' party skill things instead of so many single purpose characters in the party.

Gosh it would be wonderful to see Teresa again - in any game you bring her to! happy.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 25 2015, 01:47 AM
Post #56

Ancient
Group Icon

Oh, that eyeball is ... urk. Freaky.

OMG, Teresa? YES!!!!! And Aela if she has a companion!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!

These screens really remind me a lot of Morrowind, especially that green Golem, lol. All awesome shots!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Apr 29 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #57

Ancient
Group Icon

Persephone battle goblins

Holding the bridge

Persephone turns the skeletons

That is one big book

Persephone meets a demon...

...then a lich

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Apr 29 2015, 06:40 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Apr 29 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #58

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, those are some colorful goblins! bluewizardsmile.gif redwizardsmile.gif greenwizardsmile.gif yellowwizardsmile.gif purplewizardsmile.gif whitewizardsmile.gif blackwizardsmile.gif

Really looks like Persephone is calling down power from the heavens to smite those undead. Big book indeed! That demon is one big scary lookin’ dude! Whew, at least the lich is not giant like that book and demon.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Apr 30 2015, 05:50 AM
Post #59

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Apr 29 2015, 01:39 PM) *

Oh, I do like the look of those goblins! I think a Player should be able to see them coming before they attack, which always makes me happy, lol.

Very much like the look of the lich too, is Persephone talking to him or is this about to turn into a fight?

The giant book is AWESOME! Love that screen!

The "Demon" one reminded me of a few enemy battles I saw last night watching the ESO vids - they have some big boss fights for each region kind of like some of the old Mario games had - and they are BIG bosses, like that Demon is. Really oversized compared to the player, and with a lot of hit points.

Kind of made me wonder if they were overpowered because they are supposed to have groups of 20 attacking at once (because in the vid they were very hard to kill even with many hits) or if they tone it down some for single player mode so it will be more like doing the Gatekeeper at Shivering Isles.

Awesome Shots !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post May 2 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #60

Ancient
Group Icon

Dawn of the Dead

Persephone vs. Wererats

Persephone vs. a Bone Golem

Persephone vs. Iron Man

Persephone vs. Godzilla

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:14 AM