Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Big "Commentasaurus"-thread, For those who want to comment on multiple stories at the same time!
Kiln
post May 9 2008, 04:30 AM
Post #41

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(treydog @ May 7 2008, 08:12 PM) *

More of a "general comment" than specific.... I just wanted to say how pleased I am to see the talented new writers who have joined us. And I am also happy to see many of our "old hands" continuing to provide excellent work. The only down side for me is that I do not have as much time as I would like to read and enjoy- which means I scan rather than reading closely. And that means I am unable to comment as frequently as I would prefer. I hope every writer here knows that I admire your work and appreciate your willingness to share it with us.

QUOTE(redsrock @ May 7 2008, 08:40 PM) *

Yeah, that's a big problem for me as well, Treydog. during the summer hopefully I'll be able to catch up on some fics...

Agreed mates, its been pretty difficult to keep up with the fan fiction lately, especially since there's just so much more content than there used to be. Its really good to see so many new writers taking an interest in ES fan fiction.

This post has been edited by Kiln: May 9 2008, 07:29 PM

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post May 9 2008, 08:26 AM
Post #42

Master
Group Icon

Yea, great to see that. Kinda makes me feel a bit guilty for not getting my own writing in though. Ahh... but life is busy. It's hard to write now when I don't have seven hours of nothing to do like I used to have at my old job.

Ohwell, I'll figure something out I guess.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
paragenic
post May 12 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #43

Retainer

Yeah, can I just say to everyone SLOW DOWN. Re-read your work. Remember, good writing is re-writing. You need to give yourself time to discover a character, a person you've created. As a writer, you have a responsibility to the characters you've brought to life to give them interesting lives. If you take that responsibility seriously, your characters will do great things and say great things and you will have great stories.

Can I also ask all the reviewers to BE HONEST. I understand some of the older people here see some of the younger people making posts (some really young) and naturally there's a reaction to be supportive and encouraging. But give some honest feedback so people can improve.

+Quote Post
minque
post May 17 2008, 12:22 AM
Post #44

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(paragenic @ May 13 2008, 12:19 AM) *

Yeah, can I just say to everyone SLOW DOWN. Re-read your work. Remember, good writing is re-writing. You need to give yourself time to discover a character, a person you've created. As a writer, you have a responsibility to the characters you've brought to life to give them interesting lives. If you take that responsibility seriously, your characters will do great things and say great things and you will have great stories.

Can I also ask all the reviewers to BE HONEST. I understand some of the older people here see some of the younger people making posts (some really young) and naturally there's a reaction to be supportive and encouraging. But give some honest feedback so people can improve.

That's good advice per se!

Now then, I hope you're not implicating that the "oldies" are dishonest? Because that is not true! If there is any serious mistakes they are pointed out I can assure you!

But...as you said...many writers are younger, it's maybe their first attempt of writing something, so why not give them a little support? Why not be encouraging instead of nitpicking their work? In my opinion the most important thing is that they're actually writing!!! Then why be harsh? This is supposed to be a nice place where everyone gets his/her chance of sharing their efforts!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
paragenic
post May 20 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #45

Retainer

QUOTE(minque @ May 17 2008, 01:22 AM) *

This is supposed to be a nice place where everyone gets his/her chance of sharing their efforts!

Okay minque! I agree with what you are saying. And no, I wasn't insinuating (or trying to insinuate) that there are people here who are DIShonest smile.gif merely that they might try being MORE honest biggrin.gif

I would like to point out though (echoing treydog's earlier comments) that I see a lot of talent and potential here, present on this forum.

We can look at this talent and potential and be encouraging, certainly I agree with that. But I also sense Chorrol could go to another (higher) level by going beyond encouragement and providing more serious coaching. Potential without coaching remains potential.

Perhaps the timing of my comment makes it unfair. I realise that through the recent fan fiction contest, the forum has been flooded with interest, more stories to read than would normally be the case and it might not be possible to comment on everything. But I also think the competition was a very good thing for this forum since it attracted this interest.

Perhaps the question is "what's next"? Now that we have this momentum and added interest from the competition (which I think could easily be organised on an annual or semi-annual basis) what do we do with it? Do we (we/the organisers/whatever) let it for what it is? I know I'm new around here, but of the stories I've read there are too many good ones I sense to just let Chorrol peeter into a "submit something if you want to"/"sombody might reply if they want to, eventually" with no strings attached.

+Quote Post
raggidman
post May 20 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #46

Evoker

I think one of the reasons this competition has been so successful is the interest and sponsership from Bethsoft's own.

At the same time, if you look at the forum you will see that Chorrol has always attracted writers more than RPers and so the rate of submission will always be slower.

But what interests me is that the general quality of writing here is quite high - so it might well be worthwhile repeating this competition - because it has inspired people.
+Quote Post
minque
post May 28 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #47

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Yup...it inspired me to continue my writing anyway...a fact that will soon be proven. wink.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Lord Veneficus
post Jun 2 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #48

Agent

The thing I see is that when younger or newer writers post, they don't get as much feedback. If we could just give them comments and good suggestions, they would continue writing and provide us with great stories to read. Thus, making everyone happy.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jun 2 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #49

Knower
Group Icon

It's not just newer writers, V. (And I know where you're going with that anyway). I don't get a whole lot of feedback either and I've been here for a good while. You just have to keep writing and don't worry about it. Besides, you shouldn't worry about getting feedback, because that shouldn't be the sole purpose of writing, you know? At least that's my opinion.

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 2 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #50

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(redsrock @ Jun 2 2008, 02:38 PM) *

It's not just newer writers, V. (And I know where you're going with that anyway). I don't get a whole lot of feedback either and I've been here for a good while. You just have to keep writing and don't worry about it. Besides, you shouldn't worry about getting feedback, because that shouldn't be the sole purpose of writing, you know? At least that's my opinion.

True, very true. Write for yourself, and the pleasure it gives you - not for praise from others. Every writer likes feedback however, but what you'll find with most forums is the better the feedback (the more detail on how you could improve for example) the longer it takes to get it. I've commented on your stories before Lord V, and I will again. I've continued to read your work - just like I've continued to read Red's work - and when I have both time and something new to say then I will. I could greet each update with a "great, well done!" and leave it with that, but I've never really been that type of poster. Which is why my post count at every forum I belong to is still so low tongue.gif I just like to have something really helpful to add, rather than just a generic response.
+Quote Post
Lord Veneficus
post Jun 2 2008, 04:10 PM
Post #51

Agent

I understand but I'm not talking about myself.

--------------------
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jun 2 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #52

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lord Veneficus @ Jun 2 2008, 04:10 PM) *

I understand but I'm not talking about myself.

That's fine smile.gif What I said goes for everyone. I try to read everything that's posted here, it just usually takes me a while to give comments. Partly because so many stories start and then run out of steam I've started to wait for a story to reach a certain point before I comment now. There's only so many stories you can read carefully at the same time smile.gif
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jun 2 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #53

Knower
Group Icon

Exactly. I myself am guilty for giving the "awesome, great job" comment from time to time, and that just doesn't help a writer, other than motivationally. To truely get something that will really help a writer, it takes time.

It takes about five seconds to write the above quote. It takes longer to leave something meaningful and something that will actually help the author improve his/her writing skills.

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jun 2 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #54

Master
Group Icon

Lord V., I find myself in agreement with you- even while I am one who does not comment much. I will spare everyone the usual excuses, even though they are valid in my case....

I have a fairly simple set of rules for my comments- I will not comment on something I have not read; I will say something positive in every comment; I will try to be specific about something I found creative/clever/funny/effective/etc.

Rightly or not, I tend NOT to include criticism in my comments, unless the writer specifically asks. I know there is a kind of "unwritten rule" that posters of fan-fic are requesting criticism/correction- but I am reluctant to automatically critique stories. Just one of my quirks...

Like everyone, I appreciate feedback; it is a far more "personal" indicator of folks' reactions than a simple glance at the number of views. But I also appreciate that time is the most limited resource we have. Anyway, I encourage everyone to keep writing- I know some folks like to wait until there is a certain "critical mass" to a story before they comment- and we have had some promising stories that just- stopped.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
kementari
post Jun 3 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #55

Evoker

QUOTE(redsrock @ Jun 2 2008, 08:45 AM) *

Exactly. I myself am guilty for giving the "awesome, great job" comment from time to time, and that just doesn't help a writer, other than motivationally. To truely get something that will really help a writer, it takes time.

It takes about five seconds to write the above quote. It takes longer to leave something meaningful and something that will actually help the author improve his/her writing skills.

Yeah, but.. motivation means a lot.

Five seconds of someone else's time is frequently the deciding factor between whether I write a new chapter that month, or do something else more rewarding. There's a part of all of us that wants other people to enjoy what we do.

--------------------

I am the sword in darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jun 3 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #56

Knower
Group Icon

And yeah, that's definitely true as well. There are just different types of authors. Some would rather get the "awesome, nice story!" comment, and some would rather have the in-depth comments. And then there are some who do not really care whether or not they recieve any feedback at all.

Sorry, I should have clarified that in the beginning. I guess I'm more so the latter type, but that DOESN'T mean I like NOT getting feedback. It's just sort of 'whatever..." you know? Like I am happy if I get feedback, but it's not going to keep me from writing if I don't.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Jun 3 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #57

Master
Group Icon

Perhaps it is somewhere in between.

That is, provide encouragement, but dont hide the flaws. But also dont be overbearing. Whats do I mean?

http://chorrol.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4057

kementari's post in this thread is what I mean. kem, I know you were trying to help, and you didn't do anything wrong per se, but you came across very strong, and probably scared the heck out of chiglet. Not everyone on this site has a thick skin, and the competition has brought in a lot of....opinionated members. You're not fully responsible for the rant to follow, rather several others are prompting my diatribe.

I personally chose this site because it was like a small town where everyone know each other. Now I am afraid it is beginning to devolve into a massive city where everyone calls each other 'jerks' and thinks they know how they should run things.

Elitists may think they know everything, and in certain cases they do. But it is NEVER an excuse for poor manners and a lack of civility. We are people who know and respect one another here, there is friendship and bonding that goes back months and years between members here. I realize the new folks may not realize that, and why our 'warm fuzzy caring-about-feelings' atmosphere is so strange and alien to them, but that is at least how it has been.

I don't care if you are a moderator on another site, or if you think you know how things SHOULD be run 'round these parts, if this keeps up, I am leaving Chorrol. No threats, no ultimatums, no attitude, just stating the fact that I don't like crowds, and what inevitably happens when they form.

This post has been edited by Black Hand: Jun 3 2008, 07:44 PM
+Quote Post
Kitchen.Sink
post Jun 3 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #58

Retainer

QUOTE(Black Hand @ Jun 3 2008, 01:29 PM) *

http://chorrol.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4057

kementari's post in this thread is what I mean. kem, I know you were trying to help, and you didn't do anything wrong per se, but you came across very strong, and probably scared the heck out of chiglet. Not everyone on this site has a thick skin, and the competition has brought in a lot of....opinionated members. You're not fully responsible for the rant to follow, rather several others are prompting my diatribe.

I realize that I am one of the newcomers here, so perhaps I'm trampling over a Van Gogh without knowing it, but, really, what's so nasty about criticism? It's just words, and words are nothing more than vibrations in the air, or an electrochemical surge in your skull. If you don't appreciate the content or the nature of them, there is not a thing in this world, save your own mind, that prevents you from ignoring them. I would be honored to have Kementari, or anyone, critique my work as thoroughly as mentioned in the above post. To take the time to critique shows far greater appreciation of a work than to just provide a pat on the back with a "Smashing good job, old fellow."

This post has been edited by Kitchen.Sink: Jun 3 2008, 09:28 PM
+Quote Post
redsrock
post Jun 3 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #59

Knower
Group Icon

Yes, that is true, KS, but there are times when people will post things that do not matter really yet they THINK they do because they are arrogant know-it-alls. (Not saying Kementari's post was that way, just trying to make a point).

Then there are times when people are trying their hardest to help, but they are just hitting on all the wrong points, you know what I mean?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kitchen.Sink
post Jun 3 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #60

Retainer

QUOTE(redsrock @ Jun 3 2008, 03:05 PM) *

Yes, that is true, KS, but there are times when people will post things that do not matter really yet they THINK they do because they are arrogant know-it-alls. (Not saying Kementari's post was that way, just trying to make a point).

Then there are times when people are trying their hardest to help, but they are just hitting on all the wrong points, you know what I mean?

If they are "arrogant know-it-alls", let them be so. Their power over you both begins and ends in the misty region of your mind. If you let them hurt you, they hurt you. If you let them help, they help.

Additionally, shutting out the criticism of others is an awfully strong sign of being one such "know-it-all". Know yourself and no criticism can shake you---it will all be of benefit.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:28 AM