41 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Writing Process, And/Or Problems with Same
Mazelure
post May 22 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #21

Finder
Group Icon

I normaly just think up of a character and what kind of a person he is... you know like if he is violant I'll start thinking about what kind of atrocities he has or will comitt... and the story will be based of his characteristics...

This post has been edited by Mazelure: May 23 2006, 12:04 AM

--------------------
you have to crack a few eggs in order to make and omelet
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kayla
post May 23 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #22

Agent

I have a spiral notebook that I keep and write ideas in. I basically write down EVERYTHING.

Before I write a story, I have the whole thing planned out, either in my head, or on paper, and I just go for it.

I type my stories out in Word, spell check them, read them to myself a few times and make sure everything sounds right. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Zarrexaij
post May 24 2006, 03:06 AM
Post #23

Knower
Group Icon

I have loads of notebooks filled with writing.

Every once in a while, I do this thing called "writing the bones". I sit down anywhere from five minutes to several hours writing the things that come to mind without any editting. Afterwards, I grab a snack, and edit stuff I wrote before. Ernest Hemmingway did something this.

Before I write, I plan out in my head what I want to do. I write a rough outline of what I want to happen. It has to be vague, because usually unconsciously I will break something specific. If I have any dreams relating to my story, I keep a journal of that with the notebook I have for that fan fiction. I'm constantly contemplating things for my story. Thusly, I know exactly what is going to happen in the next chapter... usually, at least.

I seldom do true roughdrafts of my work now. I used to, but now I just pretty much do the process of the bones and correct it. Sometimes that works pretty well. Othertimes it takes me days to complete a single chapter. indifferent.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Wolf
post May 24 2006, 05:39 AM
Post #24

Agent

Oh dear.... My writing technique (in itself inexistant) is simply to (argh, can't find any other word, have to rip Minque) daydream it. On my walk to school (or back home) I might get a good idea for writing. This was, of course, when I still wrote fanfic.

Nowadays, hell, I just daydream. laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jul 3 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #25

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

Having looked through the fanfic section carefully over the last couple of days (after having been offline for the majority of the last few months) I think I've seen one problem a lot of the writer's here are facing. It's a fairly common one sadly, it's when writing the story stops becoming as much fun. You get new idea's you want to write about, new characters, new situations. Which is great. But, the one's on the go get left behind. There are quite a few stories that just when they were getting really interesting have just been dumped, looking ominously like they'll never be returned to. A shame as some had a great deal of promise. And which leads me to my point. Writing isn't just about the buzzword we all bandy about ( inspiration tongue.gif ), but is about discipline and finishing what we start. Not easy when our minds are screaming at us to write this new exciting plot, just desperate to get out.

If this sounds like a lecture I apologise, it's just the stories left unfinished had so much effort and thought put into them, it seems a shame to let them die. I for one would like to know how they end. So, for anyone wanting a task, here it is. Go back to that unfinished masterpiece and let us see how it ends smile.gif
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Jul 3 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

I'm still a daydreamer though I now actually put some time between the dreaming and the writing. It gives me more time to think things out. Inspiration is not a problem, I get it from the weirdest things that have absolutely nothing to do with the story. Discipline is a bigger problem but I can manage that one (barely).

Yes, those unfinished stories are kind of sad. But so are some of the finished ones. Sometimes I just want to continue with the same characters so much, I have to force myself to stop before I ruin the whole plot in a desperate attempt to keep things going.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Jul 4 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #27

Forum Bard
Group Icon

QUOTE(jack cloudy @ Jul 3 2006, 06:05 PM) *

Yes, those unfinished stories are kind of sad. But so are some of the finished ones. Sometimes I just want to continue with the same characters so much, I have to force myself to stop before I ruin the whole plot in a desperate attempt to keep things going.

Pretty much the same here, sometimes I grow too attached to the character and try to prolong the life of the story so I can continue to write about him.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
milanius
post Jul 4 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #28

Agent

QUOTE(The Wolf @ May 24 2006, 04:39 AM) *

Oh dear.... My writing technique (in itself inexistant) is simply to (argh, can't find any other word, have to rip Minque) daydream it. On my walk to school (or back home) I might get a good idea for writing. This was, of course, when I still wrote fanfic.

Nowadays, hell, I just daydream. laugh.gif

Welcomed To The club, I am [although, Yoda I am not].

I had really interesting morning today, with several poems clashing in my head... because I had so many opposing feelings, all too strong. And then, all those poems bursted out, flying away from me, leaving me nearly empty sad.gif Inspiration is just like a flock of birds, fleeting, elusive; you have to not scare them away, and not try & catch them... you just have to watch them, admire them from distance... and then, describe them at once, when your impressions are freshest.
When I write, my base of events is elusive, unshapen, like a cloud... then, things that I've dreamed about or lived come to mind; wise things I've heard or read trough my life, encluding even videogames (Thank you, Morrowind smile.gif), and this somehow manages to help me make that 'cloud' more vivid, realistic and detailed. Sadly, this can sometimes take too much time and energy; such was the case with all my stories and few poems I wrote back in the day.

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 5 2006, 03:34 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

Well I have to say my process would be considered unprofessional.

With my current fic, I had the idea bottled up in my mind for a long time. I basically had the words from my first two posts branded into my mind. I just thought the concept was interesting. The problem was I didn't get motivated to get it out in words. I've tried before, but then I would lose it when hard drives had to get wiped due to viruses and such. Fortunately I discovered this site and now I have motivation!

I consider myself to be unprofessional because I just have to get the perfect words right away. I really dislike editing, I can't see the things I should change until it's too late. That makes sitting in front of the computer with Word kinda tedious so writing can be slow. Unless I'm really interested in it. My recent fight scene I wrote really quickly (which surprized me since I've never written one before). Then there's the parts where I'm approaching a really cool part in the story but writing the stuff leading to it is a little tedious, so I take a break.

Ohwell, once it's out and I hear the nice comments, it's worth the time.

--------------------
I am currently a Writer in The Order of Schola.
Official Fan Fiction Forum "Commentasaurus"

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 5 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #30

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(burntsierra @ Jul 3 2006, 07:57 PM) *

There are quite a few stories that just when they were getting really interesting have just been dumped, looking ominously like they'll never be returned to. A shame as some had a great deal of promise.

the stories left unfinished had so much effort and thought put into them, it seems a shame to let them die. I for one would like to know how they end. So, for anyone wanting a task, here it is. Go back to that unfinished masterpiece and let us see how it ends smile.gif

I just want to say that I very much agree with my fellow Mod here.
The amount of stories in this section is amazing! It really shows how many talents there are out there! You´re good, all you writers, but I must say there are also quite a few stories that are abandoned and that is a shame.

So I will encourage you who have unfinished stories here to try to finish them, it would be of benefit for yourselves as well as for us, your readers! Show us just how talented you are!

And I promise..you´ll get many nice comments!!

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sir Radont
post Jul 6 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #31

Agent

I get a small spark of an idea, whether a bit of dialouge, an action or an entire scene, then I just concentrate on nothing but that story. A lot of times it winds up quite different from what I originally had planned. 'Neron' was going to be a one chapter story where his apprentice kills him at the end. My stories play in my head like movies and I just write what I see. If I could type with my eyes closed it would be a lot easier.

Also, I try not to write anything without my iTunes playing. I have playlists for writing different scenes, like fighting, emotional, contemplative, etc. That has helped a lot.

--------------------
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 6 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #32

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Sir Radont @ Jul 6 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Also, I try not to write anything without my iTunes playing. I have playlists for writing different scenes, like fighting, emotional, contemplative, etc. That has helped a lot.

Now that was a good idea!....I´ll try it out when I get the contents of my HD back and can continue writing! Back at high school I always listened to different music when doing different homworks..

For example, Beethoven goes wonderfully with physics!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kell-Reevor
post Jul 27 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #33

Finder
Group Icon

This isn't so much of a process as it is a tool.

There are many ways for readers to identify a character's personality. IE through verbal quotes, his or her actions, descriptions of their past, etc. One method that can really strengthen the bond between character and reader is by sewing the character's personality/feelings into the text itself. (Wow, that sounded familiar, I can't help but wonder if I already mentioned this or read it somewhere.)

This is something I used in the past and have recently ressurected for more practice. Here is an example that might prove I need more work, but I feel get's the focus character's mood across:

The tech dug a finger into his ear and gave it a good twist, tuning out his superior's lecture. The old fart must really be pissed today. Still, he was bound to give up eventually, then the tech could go back to whatever he was supposed to be doing. What a wonderful career.

Maybe that wasn't such a good example, but it is a great alternative to simply stating that the character was somewhat indifferent to his superior's rage.

I'll admit I havn't read many fictions posted here lately, and I am curious to know how many other writers have attempted to use this method and how you feel about it.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Jul 27 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #34

Master
Group Icon

I'll admit I havn't read many fictions posted here lately, and I am curious to know how many other writers have attempted to use this method and how you feel about it.

Yea, I attempt to do that when writing in my fic. I want to give my characters human feelings so I try to incoporate emotion within the sometimes ordinary actions done by the characters. If it's just action, action, action, with no feeling behind it, I think reading it would become a little stale. Emotion is what connects a reader to the character. Them being a homicidal maniac or a serial killer, or a superhero is just an added bonus.

I don't believe I have perfected integrating emotion and feeling into my work yet, I am still quite young. But I do hope I get better at it so that readers will like my work.

--------------------

"This body, holding me makes me feel eternal. All this pain is an illusion" - Parabola (Tool)
"This here ain't called boasting, it's called truthin' " - Mango Kid (Danko Jones)
+Quote Post
minque
post Jul 29 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #35

Wise Woman
Group Icon

Emotions? Hm I think I include that all the time in my story...that is when I get the chance of writing!

--------------------

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mazelure
post Jul 29 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #36

Finder
Group Icon

Yea, I attempt to do that when writing in my fic. I want to give my characters human feelings so I try to incoporate emotion within the sometimes ordinary actions done by the characters. If it's just action, action, action, with no feeling behind it, I think reading it would become a little stale. Emotion is what connects a reader to the character. Them being a homicidal maniac or a serial killer, or a superhero is just an added bonus.

I think that most of my work is pretty much based off emotions. Well not completley all emotions but it does have alot of emotions involved. Maybe not happy or fruitful emotions... maybe not even good emotions... but atleast they are emotions. Man... I'm am making no sense.

--------------------
you have to crack a few eggs in order to make and omelet
+Quote Post
treydog
post Nov 11 2006, 02:21 AM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

One of the things I discussed in this thread was the dreaded writer’s block. It strikes most of us at one time or another, and can hang on for varying lengths of time. Usually, it takes the form of being unable to write or to “write anything good.” But sometimes, it takes the form of “doing other stuff” instead of writing. That isn’t always a negative- sometimes you need to give your brain a chance to rest and recharge. Of course, it is also possible that the reason you are “doing other stuff” is to avoid something else- like writing.

To get down to specifics, anyone who has been following Trey knows that a climactic fight with Karrod is coming up real soon now. And it has been getting ready to happen real soon now for a couple of weeks (at least). Meanwhile, the writer has had his head stuck in Oblivion for about a month and doesn’t seem to show any inclination to get on with the story. And I have a feeling that my obsession may have been avoidance behavior. What I have done is put tremendous pressure on myself to describe the coming duel. It has to be epic, funny, astounding, and historic. It has to be the best fight scene in the history of Western literature…. And that is the trap. It isn’t enough that I just write it- it has to be perfect. But I know that I cannot write a perfect fight scene (or any other kind). But- maybe if I wait a day or 2 (or 20)- maybe the gods will smile on me, the planets will align, and my pen will sprout wings and fly across the page- effortlessly, producing that “perfect” scene. Right.

What it comes down to is this- pride can be just as crippling as doubt. And the only way past writer’s block is to write your way out of it. Which I shall try to do. Any day now.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
The Metal Mallet
post Nov 11 2006, 04:18 AM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Writer's block is definately dreaded among us writers. It's interesting that you bring up pride for causing writer's block. I can certainly see that as true, especially in a case where you want everything to be perfect the instant you write it down, which is most often not the case.

Fortunately, I haven't really hit a true moment of writer's block yet with my 'Bloodlust' fic. I've at least made my one update a week quota that I've set up for myself. I actually like that setup because it isn't as excruciating to write when you know you have a week to work on it if you want to. I generally have a period at least once a week where I can sit at the computer and have nothing to really do but write for 4-7 hours, which is quite fortunate for me. But I certainly know that not everyone has a schedule like mine to do that.

Also, during a moment of time where I'm not doing anything and I'm away from my computer, I write down a "loose plotline" for future updates. Basically I just jot down point form notes of what I want to focus on for an update (which in most cases centers around one character).

I still haven't planned far enough to know when I'm going to finish though, which is good and bad, because I'm going to be very excited in finishing it, but also quite sad that I'll be leaving those characters behind. Unless I do a sequel tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Black Hand
post Nov 11 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #39

Master
Group Icon

I dont get writers block it would seem...there are days that go by between my updates though....how do I solve it?

I play morrowind.

Yes, when Black Hand returns home from his god-forsaken job that god mocks him in every moment he is forced to endure it (did I mention I hate my job?) he plays Morrowind still!!

I spent a good year power playing, exploiting cheats, running everywhere, finishing every quest until I realized....playing morrowind outside a Rp regimen sucks....

The former "Sethyas Velas or "Lord Velas" Was a Dunmer with the Scar-face with One Thousand Strength and Endurance with a full set of Daedric Armor....on XBox,...apologies to Divayth Fyr.

When you read things like "I unlsung my bow, and nocked an arrow and killed the Orc from the Balmora Guard Tower at Five O'clock, and no bounty was issued because I was too far from any guards to notice it" I WAS on the Balmora Guard Tower pracitcing assassinations in-game.

I try to bring the actual gameplay to my story as much as possible to keep things fresh.

And no. I dont think through what my story is beforehand. I sit down, I read my last post to see where I left off and I try to improv most of it, You read my rough draft as it were.

Maybe this will help some folks out there.
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Nov 11 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

That's what I did with Oasis. When writing fanfics, nothing beats playing the game itself to get a feeling.

Though writer's block doesn't seem to be a problem with me.

I'd like to add that the most important thing is knowing your characters.

This post has been edited by jack cloudy: Nov 11 2006, 03:44 PM

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post

41 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:22 AM