107 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A New Sun Rises - Maxical's Adventures, The Truth Behind The Oblivion Crisis
Acadian
post Mar 25 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

Yes, your writing skill has improved greatly since the first time around. You are able to convey what you want more effectively now. Nice job mALX.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 26 2010, 01:18 AM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

‘Beast races’ and even Redguards were kept out of sight.

HEY!!!

No sir. Well, to be honest sir, we were under the. . .that is to say we thought you only meant the human children.” Phillida corrected himself.

WHAT!!?

*Destri puts in a request to adopt one-hundred Cyrodiilic pigeons*
laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Mar 26 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #23

Knower
Group Icon

*marches back to screen with paper towels*

*wipes spit and snot off screen*

*sits down again and imagines mALX tied hand and foot under the legs of a camel with a stomachache*

All right, you minx. You have done it again. My screen is attracting flies from all the spit I have had to clean off it...AGAIN...

I hate you.

I hate you.

AND I WANT MORE POSTS LIKE THIS DO YOU HEAR???!!!???
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 26 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #24

Knower
Group Icon

They circled back to defend their roosting spot and chaos followed.

That's our Maxical, no doubt about it!!

The way you write humor is second to none. Even through words alone I can sense that Maxical is straight faced and innocent with her expression while carnage is occuring around her. I love it!!

The 'when in doubt, fake a faint' is priceless. So Maxical. And so womanly. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 28 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

@ Hauty - Thank you so much Hauty! I am trying to tighten it up, cut the ook out and streamline it so I can get it over here sometime this year, lol. The other forum is so dead it's not funny, I have new chapters up on the story over there and no one is reading them. If it wasn't for Acadian I would be spamming my own thread just to post chapters, lol. I have been considering cutting out updating till I can get it all over here, but my Mom won't let me. My email box would be over-run with threats, lol.
@ Acadian - That means a lot to hear Acadian, thank you so very much - and you are greatly appreciated for sticking with Maxical (and me!) I know you have needed some down time to relax, so it means that much more to me that you did take the time to read !! If I don't remember to add it, here is a hug emoticon for you!
@ - ROFL !!! Destri, I knew that policy of Adamus Phillida would get your goat, lol. I actually pictured your reaction while writing it! - but I pictured that is exactly how they would do it if they were trying to mild money out of benefactors. Thank you Destri, You ROCK !!!
@ Foxy - ROFL !!! I spewed just reading your comment!!! You just don't know how good it is to have you and your sense of humor (raunchy) here!!! You have been missed since we moved over here! You ROCK any forum you get on! And Thank You, Thank You for coming! (and reading Maxical!)
@ Winter Wolf - I can't thank you enough for your kind words Wolf! It means a lot to me to hear you say that, the comedy is my favorite part of the story, and as you know I have a bit of a warped humor, lol. It means a whole lot that you have come to know Maxical so well too, you are Awesome !!!

The Arcane

Chapter 8: The Vow, The Blue Show, And Graduation Begins

In six years I'd always come alone when Fathis was on campus. The fact that I'd dragged Delphine in with me hadn't escaped Fathis's notice. His glance flickered toward Delphine in a wary way that reminded me strongly of prey smelling a trap. I felt sick at that thought. I guess that was pretty much what it was, a trap that would leave him with nothing after all he'd done for me. I couldn't do that to him. Wouldn't do that to him. If he released me, I'd pay the debt myself, but at least Alix and S'Jirra would be off the hook.

Delphine was whispering in Arch Mage Traven's ear. I turned back to Fathis and forced the words out that would probably end our friendship forever.

"Fathis, all these years I've asked you for help, I never understood about the debt I was building against my parents. I just thought...I mean, I didn't know you were a gentleman. NO! I knew that. What I mean is, I didn't know you were helping me out of duty, I thought you just liked me a lot."

"What else is there?" He answered in the traditional Dunmer response.

Fathis looked perplexed as he brushed my cheek gently with one finger. I got the feeling he was dreading this moment as much as I was, but he didn't know the worst of what was coming yet.

"I just learned of it, Abhuki told me. Honestly Fathis, I never knew I was doing that to them. It made my stomach feel like it was tied in a knot. They'll pay everything they make for the rest of their lives and never clear the debt, Fathis. I did that to them, and never knew. It isn't right I caused the burden and they pay it. I wish I'd known, I wouldn't have turned to you every time."

Fathis didn't like talking about debts owed him, I could see that in his eyes. I made myself finish, watching his eyes for the shock I knew was coming.

"This past year I've thought a lot about what will happen when I graduate, when your guardianship of me ends. Fathis, you've always been there for me, I almost can't remember a time you weren't there to rescue me when I was in trouble. I've felt protected in a way I could never have imagined. I don't know how to be on Nirn without you in my life, you're my best friend. I've been dreading that changing, losing the closeness between us when you are released as my guardian. Now I don't know if the friendship was part of your duty too."

A tender look flickered briefly in Fathis’s eyes before he answered. "What is it then, Ma'Thjizzrini Qa?"

He still wasn't getting where I was going with this, so I showed him the law in the tome, then pounded my fist on my chest and raised my palm so it faced him. I didn't have to look to know Delphine and Arch Mage Traven had come rapidly forward.

"The debt is mine, I made it and I'll pay it. I'm vowing myself to you before these two witnesses, Fathis. Unless you release me from it or I die of old age first, whenever you are ready to settle down what I have to offer is yours. If you say no, Alix and S'Jirra will be freed from their obligation; but I'll still honor the debt on my own because I don't want you to have nothing for all the help you've given me. I can't give as much as they could, but whatever I earn will be yours if you choose not to accept me." I caught his eye and held it, wanting to make sure he saw I was serious in my vow.

Inside I felt the corrosive acid of apology for doing this to him, and a sickening dread that I may lose him forever once he released me from my vow. He saw it, had to see how much he meant to me and know I'd never have done this if not for the debt. It was over. I was promised to Fathis, at least till he released me.

When Fathis left he caressed my cheek as he always did. I hurried to the window and watched as Fathis made his way across the quad toward the gates. He was stopped briefly by the same odd potion seller I used to see frequently at the Faregyl. The man appeared to be gripping Fathis by the arm, clutching his hand as if begging.

Students weren't allowed to purchase from outsiders, but that peddler regularly wandered the Arcane public area. He always greeted me as an old friend, as if I should remember him of all the peddlers that frequented the Faregyl. I actually did remember him, for an uglier man could probably not be found in Cyrodiil.

It wasn't till after Fathis was gone that Delphine punched me in the side and pointed out to me that he hadn't released me. I caught the twinkling of surprised amusement in Arch Mage Traven's eyes and asked him what that meant. He knew Fathis well.

"Does that mean he's actually considering it?"

"It means you've caught him by surprise and he's too much a diplomat to act till he has weighed the situation out carefully."

"Oh."

The peddler was still outside when Delphine and I left the tower. He called to me. "There you are, Lass. Fathis Aren tells me he'll be gone on an extended tour of the other provinces. In his stead, if you have need I'm but a thought away."

Everything inside me cringed, even realizing he was lying. I knew better than to believe Fathis would palm me off on a virtual stranger no matter how mad I'd made him; but that he might leave Cyrodiil had never occurred to me. I didn't think I'd ever see Fathis again. I didn't see him again till the day I graduated.

The month before graduation passed in a blur of hurried testing to bring my grades high enough that Arch Mage Traven could graduate me early. As long as they tested me on paper in a classroom I could pass with rank on everything. In field spell testing I very nearly caused more damage to the Arcane, this time without Fathis here to make everything right.

In the end the only discipline the Arcane couldn't pass me on was Restoration. Arch Mage Traven gave me till the end of the year to come back and prove I could reach apprentice in healing, and the process of graduating me early went forward as planned.

The only difference was that I wouldn't be graduating with the Battlemages, my diploma would only be a general one. Part of me felt like a failure, but at the same time I was proud of having come this far. I never thought I'd make it, and wouldn't have without Fathis. It was depressing to think he wouldn't be here to see it, worse that it was my fault if he didn't.

Preparations for the graduation ceremony had already begun before the final week of exams. An amazing display of flowers and plants seemed to appear overnight, precise rows of chairs were being set up in a semicircle and a platform stage was erected with steps leading up on both sides.

The number of visitors to the Arcane increased daily. Some toured the facilities, talking loudly while we tried to concentrate on our tests. It was nearly impossible to focus on the final exams with all the bustle of activity below the window I sat next to. Through it all I watched for Fathis to come, but he never did.

It felt like I could sleep for days when the last exam was completed. I tiptoed past Delphine's sleeping form and stretched out on my bed as quietly as possible. I couldn't believe it was over, I'd be graduated in less than a week. That was the last thought I can remember before dropping into an exhausted sleep. Delphine's shriek jarred me awake.

"Huhwah?"

"Your face! What's wrong with your face?" Delphine dragged me out of bed and over to the looking glass. She pointed at my forehead.

"What happened to your face?"

There was a radiant splash of azure displaying prominently across my nose and forehead in stunning contrast to my white fur. I'd never seen a blue show before, but instinctively knew what it was.

For Khajiit the blue show means we have reached our sexual maturity, even more telling than the swelling of breasts. It is what drives us to find our mate. For Khajiit girls it is a point of pride, something to be celebrated.

I was the only Khajiit at the Arcane, so mine went virtually unnoticed; except for some rude remarks when I spiked my bangs so people would see it.

"What happened to you? Spill some paint?"

Arch Mage Traven noticed it, though. He promptly ran to his tomes to find out how I got it at seventeen years old. He couldn't find a single incidence of it happening so young. Biologically it never comes before age 20.

Since I had no memory of my life before that Legion office, I'd always accepted I was the age they posted on their documents. For the first time I began to wonder if they'd guessed my age wrong.

The crowds gathered on the lawn for the graduation ceremonies were so dense it was almost impossible to distinguish one face among them, but as I was scanning the crowd for Alix and S'Jirra the sight of velvet thick enough to be traveling royalty caught my eye. When the Mage turned around I nearly stumbled and fell from shock. Fathis was here!

My breathing felt ragged, and for a minute I was afraid I would cry. Instead I felt a warm glow of relief flooding inside me. He had come back. Whether it was to release me or not, he was here. I tried to twist my head to watch him, although we were instructed to keep our faces forward. As Raminus Polus walked by he clamped his hand on the top of my head and twisted it back to the front.

Delphine Jend clamped her hand on her own head and twisted it toward me. I snickered.

Raminus scowled and whispered, “This is a solemn occasion, there will be none of your hijinks.” Delphine waited till he passed and then did an extremely accurate imitation of him into my ear. I snorted and Raminus spun around glaring. He has never forgiven me for the bed-wetting incident.

Delphine had to go up first for her award on the ‘Enemies Explode’ spell. She had already graduated last year, but had come here to work on a spell that would make her famous.

I tried to keep my head forward and just turn my eyes to scan the crowds again. Where were Alix and S’Jirra? Fathis was settling in the front row reserved for important personages. I'd never seen such thick velvet, he looked like a king in that robe. He saw me looking and smiled at me, just like he used to before I did that to him.

For the first time since that day I wondered if his being here, that smile...did he mean to accept my promise? The thought made my knees feel like jelly. I gave a hesitant smile back and raised my hand in an imitation of Uriel Septim's royal wave to the crowds.

Behind me I heard the slow hiss of Raminus’ exhaled breath and turned my eyes to the front again.

When it was my turn to go onto the stage my foot caught in my robe and I stumbled on the step up. I caught myself so I didn’t actually fall. Raminus glared darts at me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Fathis's smile widen and felt my heart start beating again for the first time since I'd bearded him with that stupid vow. My friend was back, just as he was before. The relief was tremendous.

I made the rest of the walk to the platform with no mishaps. Raminus gave me my graduation robes and began to read off my accomplishments. When he read the part where I had mastered in Conjuration I braved Raminus's wrath by turning to see if Fathis had heard.

He smiled at me, and I could read in his eyes he was proud of me for it. There was no surprise in his eyes though, Arch Mage Traven must have told him already. I hoped that look of pride meant that was all he told him. I never wanted Fathis to know about the Daedra incidents, or the problems I was still having with Conjuration.

Conjuration was excruciating. I hated it. Fathis loves it above all the other disciplines, and I knew it meant very much to him that I do well in it. He had done so much for me, so I forced myself to keep plugging away at it.

These past years at the Arcane seem to have flown by. I suddenly understood why a lot of the students stay and just hang around campus after graduation. It's like a piece of you will be left behind if you walk out those gates for good. I wanted to capture this moment in my memory and never forget it, standing up here taking my diploma.

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 3 2013, 12:32 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 30 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #26

Ancient
Group Icon

The Arcane

Chapter 9: Graduation And The Golden Armor

Fathis was proud of me, I'd read that in his eyes. Maybe for the first time in my life I was proud of myself. He did a wonderful thing for me, funding my education here at the Arcane. I couldn't remember ever even thanking him for it. I tried to throw him a look of gratitude while it was fresh on my mind.

Raminus Polus paused in his recitation, hissing under his breath, "Eyes front." I turned my head back slowly, scanning the audience for S’Jirra and Alix. Raminus’s breath exhaled loudly.

He was nearing the classes I didn't do well in, I wished he'd just stop now. I never understood why they'd drag up a student's failures to shame them with at their graduation.

"Expert in the Daedric Deities, Novice in the Divine Deities." A rumble from the crowd followed the pronouncement. Without looking, I felt the censure of eyes on me.

Actually, I learned so much about the Daedric Lords from Arch Mage Traven; who enjoyed debating the Acceptable Blasphemes with me while I was restricted to his quarters for punishment. It was harder to learn about the Divines because I invariably fell asleep in that class, being it was the first class of the day.

Raminus's voice droned on. "Apprentice rank achieved in Enchanting and Alchemy. Novice in Restoration Arts; Speechcraft; Block; Archery; and Calculations. No certification for Battlemage will be issued at this time."

That was humiliating. I already knew I'd only earned a general diploma, but did they have to announce it to all Nirn? Almost six years at the Arcane, and my only real skill is still in Blades.

The truth was that I could have studied magic for another six years and still get no better at it. Achieving Master only means you can cast the highest level spells, but you still have to be able to aim them. That was my problem. I couldn't hit a target to save my life, not even when the target was myself.

Not just that. My magic was unstable and volatile. My conjures spawned hostile Daedra no matter what I cast, and anytime I cast fire there was a good chance something would explode. When it didn't, my fireballs curved around in wild arcs that always hit at least one student.

The same thing happened in Archery class, the arrows would fly every direction but where I was aiming, it was like they were honed in on finding a student. Arch Mage Traven said because of me he had become an expert in healing injuries that involved arrow wounds.

When I stepped down off the stage Arch Mage Traven came and clasped my hand. He indicated Fathis with a conspiratorial twinkle in his eyes. "I very nearly had an apoplexy when Fathis woke me this morning. I was afraid we'd seen the last of him after you bearded him with that vow."

"I had the same fear."

He handed me a list of trainers in Restoration. "See that you follow up on your training immediately, I expect to hear you've at least earned your apprentice in Restoration before the year ends."

"Can't I come here for that?"

Arch Mage Traven's face paled visibly. Maybe I'd better give him a break from me before re-approaching him on it. I gave him a warm and heartfelt hug, then moved out of the way so he could greet the next student stepping down off the stage.

Fathis was working his way through the crowd toward me, his arms filled with several packages. That was a good sign. A warm glow of joy spread through me. The last months without him had been a hellish nightmare of regretting bearding him with that vow, and dreading a lifetime of never seeing him again.

I turned away quickly and raked my fingers through my bangs, spiking them to gap the middle of my forehead so he would see my blue show. Fathis would know what it stood for.

Fathis chucked me gently under my chin, turning me to face him and looking into my eyes. Whatever he originally meant me to read there was replaced by shock when the full impact of my blue show met his eyes. He was startled by it, but recovered quickly. Fathis is too much a diplomat to gape.

I was torn between feeling a sudden shyness and wanting to hug him for returning to me. Instead I took his hand and rubbed the back of it on my cheek; the same as I always had since I was a child, to leave his scent with me.

"That peddler you talked to as you were leaving here last said you were leaving Cyrodiil. I was afraid I'd never see you again."

"The man with the cowl by the gate? Nae, Ma'Thjizzrini Qa; you must have misunderstood. He was a messenger sent with an emergency message from Skingrad Castle. I went there straightaway when I left here."

“You’ve done well Ma'Thjizzrini Qa. You have really grown up and made me very proud of you. I've brought you a few presents for your graduation, and an early birthday present. You won't be 18 for a while yet, but I couldn‘t wait to give it to you.”

I fought blushing and hope I smiled. I wanted to thank him for everything like the adult he said I was becoming, but instead I blurted out, “Presents?”

Fathis’s face lit up in a smile, obviously pleased by my response. “I see you have grown into a typical woman.”

I was eyeing the large packages curiously, trying to see a store mark to hint what might be inside when a ‘tap-tap’ sound made me look up. Delphine was in the window above me; her fingers circled around her eyes like two spy glasses and pretending her eyes were popping out of her head at all the presents from Fathis.

Fathis pulled an official looking parchment and folded map out of his pocket. "First, your graduation presents. This is the deed to a tower built specifically for a Mage. It is a bit isolated, quite far up in the Jerall Mountains; actually almost on the Skyrim border."

"A...tower?" I tried to keep my expression from showing the horrified shock I was feeling. Why would Fathis give me an isolated tower? If he was accepting my promise, wouldn’t I live with him? And if he wasn’t, why would I leave the Faregyl? The only consolation was that at least this verified that Arch Mage Traven hadn’t told him how badly I'd done with my magic.

“One of your very own. It is quite modern as compared to my tower, and I‘ve furnished it much better than my own as well. You will find quite a few surprises in there that should delight you. Magic items, many you won't find even here at the Arcane.“ He unfolded the deed to show my name listed as owner.

"Fathis, I can't accept...this is too much...er...I mean, uh...thank you, but...huh? Why is it signed with only an 'X'?" I pointed to the name listed as seller.

"A guest of Skingrad Castle offered it, but preferred to remain anonymous. Count Skingrad acted as proxy, in fact approached me about the tower. His acquaintance had suggested it to him as a most appropriate gift for one who had worked so hard to master the many disciplines of magic. Worry not, this is frequently done and is perfectly legitimate. I have used proxies myself when dealing with a party I am not closely acquainted with.”

"You talked about me graduating to someone not acquainted enough to sell property to you?"

That wasn't like Fathis, discussing anything about his private life with a stranger...or giving me a tower. Even I knew how inappropriate a gift like property was to give a minor, especially since his guardianship of me ended today.

There was no doubt his change in treatment of me had to do with that horrid vow I'd sprung on him. For the millionth time I wished I could take it back, even now when there could be no clearer indication that my promise to him had been accepted. That tower felt like a symbol marking the end of the wonderful dynamic that had always been between us.

More tapping. Delphine was pointing at the packages and giving a signal to hurry up. Then she mimed ripping a box open and looking overly surprised. I put my hand up and shook my head at her, and know she caught my bleak look by the change in her expression. She immediately stopped her playfulness, leaning forward and watching us with the intensity of a condor spotting prey.

"I've circled the location of your new tower, but it can be seen from quite a distance once you are in the Jeralls."

Fathis had unfolded the map and bent over it, his head close to mine as he traced the route up into the mountains with his finger. The scent he always wore wafted from him, filling my nostrils as I breathed in deeply to capture it. Something about the familiarity of it gave me hope that this awkwardness between us would pass and the old friendship rekindle.

"And here is your key.” He dropped the key into my hands and reached for the largest of the packages. "And now for your Birthday present. This golden armor comes from another land, a place called Shivering Isles. You can’t find another like it in all Cyrodiil."

Armor was exactly the type of gift Fathis had always given me before, maybe all really would be right between us once again. My eyes lit with excitement as I untied the ribbon and pulled the lid off the box. When I lifted the tissue covering, I heard myself gasp in shock.

The breastplate of the cuirass had molded breasts that formed to points, and a heart shape cutout above them that would bare the real breasts almost entirely. The midriff was cut out, entirely exposed; and the skirting for it was angled and cut short enough on one side to reveal one's privates. Fathis couldn't expect me to wear this, he was staring at it almost as stunned as I was.

"Er...did you go to this Shivering Isles place and see this modeled?"

"Nae, it was ordered through a contact of the Castle Skingrad guest. This is my first time actually seeing it." Fathis lifted it out, turning it around to view the back while I struggled to bite back saying what I was thinking.

Again with the stranger? Fathis never let someone else order gifts for him, what kind of influence did this guest have over him? Fathis was staring at a large flourished 'M' engraved on the center of the back.

"Er...what does that letter stand for?" I could barely choke out the words.

"You don't recognize your own hand? Your letters to me have all been signed with that 'M'. I believe it was the Count's guest that suggested I had Hans Black-Nail receive the shipment and engrave it exactly as you write it."

"Hans saw one of my private letters to you?" I couldn't keep the shock from my voice. The Fathis I'd always known would never allow our private correspondence to be seen by another.

It wasn't just that. The very idea of engraving the armor with my signature was one of those sickeningly romantic gestures Fathis was never prone to. I'd have given anything to have the old Fathis back, giving me a nice set of plain leathers with no engraving on them just like he'd always done before.

I had the sickening sensation of a racehorse being driven to the finish line under whip. It was my fault, I was reaping exactly what I'd asked for. I'd put a price on myself. There was no way to back out now without paying off the entire amount owed him.

Before Fathis's gifts I'd been feeling like an adult for the first time in my life, graduating the University and the guardianship ending. Suddenly I had an overwhelming feeling that way too much had changed between us, way too fast.

I wasn't ready for anything to change between Fathis and I from the way it had always been, just wanted our friendship. I needed time to feel ready for the next step.

Fathis's voice seeped into my thoughts and I suddenly realized he'd been talking steadily since mentioning that etched 'M'. I hadn't heard a word he'd said.

"I'm glad this is settled between us."

“Huh? Oh...er...yes. The armor is beautiful Fathis, thank you so much. And the...uh...tower. I don't mean for the presents, but for everything. You know what I mean to say.” I stammered out, glancing up into his eyes so he could see I was truly grateful to him.

"Nae, don’t thank me with words. You thank me by doing well for yourself. Keep making me as proud as you have today. And now I have to go."

"You...you're leaving? Have you seen Alix and S'Jirra? I have to find them."

"They are not here."

“Not here?” I squeaked, looking around in case he'd missed seeing them. "Why wouldn't they come?"

"There was much that needed to be said between us, Ma'Thjizzrini Qa. I came in their stead."

"But..."

Fathis brushed his hand on my cheek, just as he always had when leaving. I felt a huge relief that he hadn't tried to kiss me or something.

It wasn't till I was watching Fathis make his way through the crowds and out the gate that I realized no one was escorting me home. I'd be walking all that way alone. I'd never traveled anywhere without Alix escorting me before. I felt very alone suddenly, even in this crowd of people.

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 7 2013, 06:31 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Mar 30 2010, 04:59 AM
Post #27

Knower
Group Icon

Malx, the other writers' cry when they see your masterpieces. We aspire to be as good as you biggrin.gif

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Winter Wolf
post Mar 30 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #28

Knower
Group Icon

Thanks mALX!! I really miss the 'Love M' letters. Now there is a whole bunch to read to my heart's content.
Yippeee!!

Fantastic stuff!! Dipping hands in water, the upstairs horse, destruction magic, archery, crazy stuff there.

And even the wicked imps are back!! laugh.gif

--------------------
Games I am playing-
Dead Island
Fallout NV/Fallout 4
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 30 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #29

Master
Group Icon

This is one of my favorites! Still makes me laugh!

Where's the screenie of Irlav Jarol?

--------------------
+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Mar 30 2010, 07:29 AM
Post #30

Knower
Group Icon

I read it. I knew it. I have rolled in the floor for it.
And STILL when I read it again...my gravity...just blew it.
You minx. You imp. You royally rambuctious 'remoseful' recidivist -
You really CAN'T stop making us scream, you prankser most wicked!
For I though I had been cured when I read this the first time
But now I read it again, I see you've compounded the crime
Howling and Snorting and making noises truly BABOON
Giggling and snerking and yelling and swelling like a BALOON
Stamping my feet and waving my hands and something else like a wand
*No, don't ask WHAT it was. All I can say that it was - a gland biggrin.gif *
Dancing like a Loon and making noises louder than a band
So that the world is saying "There goes one CWAYZEE man"...
And if only that world knew, that it's ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
That it's YOU my insanity BREWS and makes loose my SCREWS!!!

cool.gif

This post has been edited by D.Foxy: Mar 30 2010, 07:33 AM
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Mar 30 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #31

Paladin
Group Icon

Congratulations mALX. laugh.gif

This is even more wonderful than the first time through. Yes, Maxical at her best!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Remko
post Mar 30 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #32

Finder
Group Icon

I couldn't imagine you could improve upon the original but the first 3 chapters were simply brilliant.... So I am going to read it again biggrin.gif

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Mar 31 2010, 01:19 AM
Post #33

Mouth
Group Icon

The Maxical we all know and love is back! Her letters home are still the most sure-fire cure for depression that I know of. It is a shame that she is going to graduate before we see what kind of mischief she could have gotten into using illusion spells. Irlav Jarol should count his blessings.

“The man is positively Friday-faced.”

Shouldn’t this be Fredas-faced? biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 31 2010, 05:37 AM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

The Arcane

Chapter 10:

Hold for Edit = Maxical's walk home alone in the dark; attack; and fighting for life.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 29 2016, 07:24 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Mar 31 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

Well, gee, I wonder what's Irlav Jarol got to be dejected about?

Is it because Skaleel is complaining to him about being stuck in a dusty, moldy ruin (Vahtacen)?

Or is it because she is stuck in a dusty, moldy ruin? With a young, clueless male Imperial (Denel)?

Or because his book Magic from the Sky didn't sell as well as he hoped?

Or because he's stuck with Maxical in his class?

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 31 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

The Arcane

Chapter 11: The Golden Armor

******* Fathis Aren

Fathis Aren stepped out of the Main Ingredient and immediately encountered the aroma of steaks being grilled that was billowing out of the chimney at the Merchants Inn restaurant. A delicate breeze twirled the scent in a dance under the noses of the pedestrians, Fathis noticed several lifting their noses to the air to catch a better whiff of it. His stomach rumbled its response.

He still had an appointment with Varnado at the Best Defense to discuss the armors he had seen on his recent trip to the Shivering Isles, and had to walk right past the door of the Merchants Inn for the meeting. He found his head turned of its own volition towards that door as he passed and forced himself to look ahead again. Maybe Varnado would be willing to close up a little early if Fathis offered to treat his meal. After all, it was a business discussion for Varnado.

With that in mind Fathis stepped into the doorway of the Best Defense and hailed Varnado, but the words died on his lips as soon as he set foot in the shop. There, hanging on display was the golden armor he had given Maxical at her graduation! He couldn't be right! Surely it was a different armor, but no. There was the M he had engraved in the armor! The satchel of alchemy ingredients in Fathis's hand dropped to the floor. With what can only be described as a restrained growl, Fathis asked Varnado where he had that armor from.

Varnado stepped from behind the counter and started over to Fathis calling, "A Khajiit brought that in a couple weeks ago, nice, isn't it? Are you interested in..." Varnado blanched, his speech coming to a grinding halt as he stepped back from Fathis Aren.

Without another word, Fathis turned on his heel and stormed out of the shop, slamming the door behind him and leaving the satchel filled with Alchemy ingredients on the floor.

Fathis was in a towering rage when he left the shop, all thoughts of hunger burned away by the hot rage that was filling him. As he strode through the Imperial City to the stables people were glancing up at him then hurrying out of his way.

He leapt on his horse's back in one jump. Without bothering to undo the fence, Fathis put his horse at the gate and squeezed his thighs with such force that the horse did not balk, but leapt cleanly over the fence.

Fathis pushed his horse into a full gallop and kept that pace for the full trip to the Faregyl Inn.

******* Maxical

It was an ugly scene. I would never pawn anything Fathis gave me, but that is exactly what he thought I had done. The one who robbed me was a Khajiit, he must have pawned it. Fathis assuming the worst of me; that hurt. Fathis being mad at me; that hurt badly. In all the years I'd known him, and all the things I had done and gold I had cost him, that was the first time he was ever angry with me.

Sometimes when your Speechcraft is low like mine, you just can't explain yourself right to an angry Dunmer. I looked into his eyes and tried to plead with him to let me explain, but about that time S'Jirra stepped up to him like a raging mother bear. He left angry.

On top of that incident, S'Jirra and Alix discovered a rather large key amongst my things. Fathis had given me the key to a Wizards tower he bought up in the Jerall Mountains in case I wanted to use it or live up there. He said I could have it, it was all set up for a mage. That was part of the presents from him at my graduation.

Alix and S'Jirra added that key together with Fathis coming in a rage. Then somehow my blue show got thrown into the conjecture, I guess because I hadn't had it the last time they saw me. They calculated all this and came up with a scenario that hadn't happened ... yet. And with Fathis mad at me it didn't look likely to happen any time soon.

I'm not going to say they raged at me, because they didn't. But they were ... concerned. In spite of the fact that I had the show to prove I was mature, at seventeen they felt I was too young to start acting like a woman.

I proved to them how mature I was by running away. I didn't go far, and it wouldn't be hard for Alix to figure out where I was if he remembered what I had written him in my letters from the Arcane. I went to the Imperial City Arena. I cried the whole way there.

While passing through the Market District on my way I hunted down my armor, it was hanging on display at the Best Defense.

"How much for the gold armor?" I asked the man who introduced himself as Maro Rufus.

"Better ask Varnado," Maro stated, then followed me over to Varnado's counter. He stepped behind the counter and elbowed Varnado. "She's wanting to know about that gold armor." Maro said, not taking his eyes off me.

Varnado instantly looked over at me, then both of them were leering like they had an inside joke.

"How much for the armor?" I repeated. They just kept leering and elbowing each other. My red-haired temper started flaring, and this seemed to amuse them further.

Finally Varnado quoted a price that made my heart drop. There was no way I could come up with that kind of money, no wonder Fathis had been angry when he thought I had sold his armor, it had cost him a small fortune!

As I was leaving the shop disheartened, I looked back to see them elbowing each other and laughing. I looked down to see if my armor was undone or something, and found it had mud splashes from the walk here. Maybe I should clean up before going to ask for work at the Arena.

Before I was halfway down the street I looked back to see Varnado and Maro standing outside the shop pointing at me and jabbing each other, laughing. I stopped and checked my armor again to see if something was showing that shouldn't be. My eyes fell on the white of my hand.

"Oh, it's because I'm an albino; those bastards."

As I was walking to the Arena I passed a storefront window and caught a glimpse of myself. My hair was bedraggled and my eyes were swollen and a puffy red from crying. I had splotches of mud everywhere.

I hurried down to the Lake Rumare and bathed in it, scrubbing my armor. I had no comb, so I ran my fingers repeatedly through my hair to train it into some semblance of order. I splashed water on my face, but doubt it helped much.

The Arena was filthy; I shouldn't have bothered cleaning up. Blood smeared the walls; the place reeked of death, blood, sweat, and something else really disgusting. Everyone was pretty rude to me, but surprisingly I was given a chance to be a combatant by Owyn, the Blademaster.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 29 2016, 07:22 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 31 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

The Arena

Chapter 12:

Hold for Edit - Maxical's first Arena fight.

This post has been edited by mALX: Jul 29 2016, 07:23 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Remko
post Mar 31 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #38

Finder
Group Icon

So much deeper than the first time you wrote it. I couldn't help snickering over the antics in the arcana university... LMAO!
The bond she feels with Fathis is far better described although it feels a bit like the Stockholm Syndrome lol.

--------------------
Strength and honour, stranger!

+Quote Post
D.Foxy
post Mar 31 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #39

Knower
Group Icon

Hwut he said. This truly IS much better than the last time, because it is a writing style more mature, more subtle - and yet it still packs a delightful frission of humour!

KUDOS once AGAIN!!!

And you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, and you are tactful and not annoying, AND YOU ARE TACTFUL AND NOT ANNOYING....

...gaasp, gasp, gasp, GACK...aRRRRRRGH....
+Quote Post
Olen
post Mar 31 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #40

Mouth
Group Icon

Nice couple of updates. You develop the characters well, the side characters which can be hard with the first person PoV.

And I love the style, so easy to read and just fun. And now she's graduated and free to wreak havok on the world... well... I can't wait.

--------------------
Look behind you and see an ever decreasing number of ghosts. Currently about 15.
+Quote Post

107 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:05 AM