57 Pages V « < 55 56 57  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jerric's Story, A Nord's Adventures in Cyrodiil
Grits
post Jul 17 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #1121

Councilor
Group Icon

Previously: Darnand and Lildereth found Where Tower Touches Midday Sun. So did someone else.

ghastley: biggrin.gif Jerric would never leave Moonshadow! Thank you, ghastley!

Acadian: Darnand may have just tied with Jerric for the Foot-In-Mouth prize! I think Abiene is still in the lead, though. I like how the birthsigns give people another reason to resent other people for something they can’t control. Deep doen the guys probably resent Lil because The Steed doesn’t carry a curse like their birthsigns do. Thank you, Acadian!

treydog: The shrine gave me fits writing it. I’m glad those light moments made you chuckle. Jerric hitting on Dozara happened out of the blue as I was writing it. I laughed out loud in Panera! (Fortunately I was with some friends who also laugh, curse, and cry at their laptops.) It’s funny, Lildereth’s and Darnand’s POV sections are much more difficult for me to write, but I enjoy their scenes just as much. Thank you, treydog!

SubRosa: It’s no surprise I find Tar-Meena utterly charming. I was going to skip the book drop but I couldn’t resist seeing her again! I looked at all of the Azura statue pictures I could find before this chapter, and they all had two striking features in common. Maybe if he’s half-blind he’ll only half-stare. Thank you, SubRosa!

haute ecole rider: Thank you, haute! It’s hard for me to keep up with those two. At least when Jerric’s in the scene I can slow down when they have to explain something to him. tongue.gif

Next: “Ah, come to see the Midday Miracle?”

Chapter 18: The Path of Dawn, Part Nine

Darnand brought a Shield spell to mind in case she attacked, confident that if necessary Lildereth would discreetly disable her.

The woman wore an Imperial Guard’s armor. Because most likely she is a guard, he chastised himself. Her presence here does not make her a cultist, though she may suspect us.

“Oh, yes!” Lildereth bubbled. “Do you know where it is? We have been looking, but…”

“Right behind you!” The guard strode past and held out an arm in the manner of a tour guide. “Here, on the Tomb of Prince Camarril.”

“Oooooh!” Lildereth exclaimed. She leaned forward to look, but her hand remained clenched in Darnand’s sleeve. “Why does it do that?”

While the guard began her explanation, Darnand inspected the tomb. In a decorative panel on one wall a map of Cyrodiil glowed red under a rising sun. A large symbol appeared in the northeast corner.

“Where do you suppose that is?” Darnand asked, interrupting the guard.

She continued in the same cheerful tone. “As I was saying to your lady… wife? You’re his wife? As I was saying to your lady wife, I figure it’s near Lake Arrius. That’s in County Cheydinhal, about a half-day’s ride north of the city.”

“What do you suppose is there?” Lildereth breathed.

“I think it’s a secret family vault! Those hills could be peppered with ruins. Why not, everywhere else is! There could be a lair filled with traps and undead beasts, and you’d have to navigate through to get to the treasure.”

Darnand began to think that this guard was not on the scent of the Mythic Dawn after all.

Lildereth pointed a trembling finger at the glowing map. “With all of the rumors, how is it still a secret?” she stage-whispered.

“The map only glows at midday when a member of the Prince Camarril’s bloodline is near.” With slow drama the guard pointed a thumb at her own chest.

Darnand schooled his expression. Lildereth had this handled.

“You?” gasped the elf. “Perhaps there is a… a blood lock that only someone like you could open! Then the treasure must be intact! Oh, but you are in terrible danger! What if someone,” Lildereth glanced around, “nefarious saw this and had designs on your family’s secret?”

“That’s why I patrol here whenever I can. I’ve chased away more than a few sly-looking individuals.” The guard gave them a stern look. “What do you know about my family’s map?”

Darnand picked up Lildereth’s cue. “We heard the rumor and hired a guide. She promised to reveal to us secrets of the Imperial City. In fact, her tour is entitled ‘Secrets of the Imperial City.’” He made a show of looking around. “We are to meet her here by the Talos Plaza gate at midday. She will arrive any moment.”

Lildereth tilted her head toward Darnand. “I don’t think she’s coming, dear. She had a shifty look.”

“You say that about all Dunmeri. She will arrive as she promised.” He frowned up at the sun as if Magnus was to blame for the imaginary guide’s tardiness.

“We shouldn’t have paid her in advance,” Lildereth chided.

“Paid her in advance!” exclaimed the guard. “I am sorry to say, you have been duped. This happens to tourists all of the time, though a surprising number find this spot anyway. You won’t see your gold nor your guide again.”

Darnand harrumphed and kept up his pretense of looking. “How do you know that you are of Prince Camarril’s bloodline?”

She made a grandiose gesture at the map. “I discovered the connection when the Prince’s tomb came alive at my approach. I have named it the Midday Miracle and determined that one of our blood should always keep watch over our legacy.”

“Correlation does not imply causation.”

“Come along, dearest,” Lildereth coaxed him. “Our tour is canceled. If we leave now we can visit the herbalist and still have time to soak your piles before dinner.” She rubbed his abdomen in a patronizing manner.

“You are wise, my darling,” Darnand gritted, squeezing her fingers harder than necessary. “While I bathe you shall have time to lance a few of your boils. And perhaps even make inroads against the fungal growth beneath your toenails.” He made a head-bow at the guard. “Good day, and thank you.”

“Protect and serve. It’s what we do.”

They strolled away under the guard’s vigilant gaze.

~~~

As far as Darnand could tell, no one followed them through the Talos Plaza District to The Foaming Flask. They found the tavern lightly populated, the staff still clearing up from the lunch rush. Baurus occupied a round table in the darkest corner, a crumb-speckled plate in front of him.

“You are certain this is safe?” Darnand asked Baurus, holding a chair for Lildereth. “No one will overhear us?”

“We’re never safe.”

Lildereth dropped her satchel on the chair. “I’ll get us some food.”

“Will we not have a waitress?” Darnand asked.

“Bar service only here.”

While Lildereth was occupied, Darnand filled Baurus in on his conversation with Jerric. He unrolled his map and pointed to the shrine’s approximate location without a verbal explanation.

Lildereth returned with a plate in one hand and two tankards in the other. She placed the plate between them.

Baurus spoke. “That was a good piece of work, getting the last book and cracking the code. Breton, you handled yourself well back there in the sewers. Our next move is to infiltrate the cult. That means we’ll go to the shrine, as directed.” He glanced between the two of them. When neither spoke up, Baurus continued. “Obviously I’m known to them. There’s no disguise we can count on to get me in. Breton, you’re known to them now, too, especially since you gave them your name. We killed them all, but that means at least some of them who know you are in contact with their leadership in whatever hell pit they’re calling their Garden of Dawn.”

“He mentions that he has remade his daughter,” said Lildereth. “He will certainly remake his son.”

“In the third volume he names the ‘hell pit’ where they await the Dawn,” said Darnand. “He calls it Paradise. One of us must pose as the Novitiate. You will recall in the first volume, the Master instructs one to come slowly, with humility, and bearing the four keys. Mantled in starlight, though I suppose that may refer to the initiation ritual.”

Lildereth gave him raised brows.

“That means unclothed. I have not adequately studied the fourth volume, but my reading suggests a blood ritual. Fairly common to mimic the mortal birth in such a way.”

The elf’s expression did not invite further details.

Baurus continued. “We have to assume that there are other copies of Volume Four out there, and other idiots in the process of decoding the message and making their way to the shrine.”

“There was a guard patrolling near the Tomb of Prince Camarril,” Darnand said. “She indicated that there had been others looking for ‘The Midday Miracle,’ as she termed it. It is possible that her attention frightened them away.”

“Her name and rank?”

“I did not enquire. She is a guard.”

“She will have seen every aspiring cultist,” Baurus said. A grim smile drifted over his face.

“I guess I’ll see them when I get inside the shrine,” said Lildereth. The elf sat higher so she could lean toward the Redguard. “That’s what you were coming to, right? All that time your lot had someone trying to capture me in the mountains, and now you want to send me right into the middle of it. I guess you trust me now.”

Baurus spent no time celebrating. “I’m sending you both to find it. Travel to County Cheydinhal as you would have if Jerric was with you. I’m counting on your woodscraft not to be seen together at the shrine by whatever they’ve got watching their approach. Breton, I want you nearby for communication and backup. The Nord could pop out of Moonshadow any day. When he does, he’ll contact you. Tell him everything you’ve learned in case you two both die. Bosmer, get in there and scout. Find the ways in and out that aren’t the front door.”

“If they’re doing their initiations there, it has to be some sort of compound,” Lildereth said. “That means they’re feeding people and taking out the trash. I’ll leave my gear with you, Darnand. If I turn up with the books and no weapons they’ll likely use me as some sort of cleaner or cook. I’ll see what I can see and then get out before they initiate me.”

“What do you need?” asked Baurus.

“I just need myself,” said Lildereth. “I’ll pick up some second-hand things that will help with my disguise.”

“What are you offering?” Darnand asked Baurus.

“What gold I have for travel. I won’t use inns. I’ll go straight home and inform them of your actions. I trust no other way to bring this news.”

“Will you bring them to the shrine?” asked Lildereth.

“That’s not up to me.” A cracking noise came from Baurus’s closed fists. “Discover what you can and then get out. Jerric may contact you before you’ve even reached it. Azura’s Shrine isn’t far north of the lake.”

“He indicated that he would have some task to perform upon arrival,” Darnand reminded him.

“Whatever promise the Nord has made, we’ll lose time if you all die fulfilling it,” Baurus said. “Breton, once the elf has scouted I want you to bring the information home. From there you can communicate with Jerric in the field. Be wary. No letters, no messages, no charmed trinkets for talking. Trust no one.”

“Once I tell him where the shrine is, he’s going to go kill them,” Lildereth said. “I won’t try to stop him.” Her hands were motionless on the table, fingers laced tightly together.

“Lildereth…”

“I know. He won’t be alone, Darnand.” She pushed the plate toward him. “It’s pointless to plan any further.”

This post has been edited by Grits: Jul 25 2019, 04:26 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 17 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #1122

Paladin
Group Icon

What a wonderfully written encounter between the odd couple and the guard. Plenty of info gleaned while Lil & Darn played the married couple to the hilt – including the ‘TMI’ personal hygiene digs they exchanged. ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Also, a well done encounter with Baurus as the trio discuss their next steps. I chuckled at Lil’s understanding that whatever they come up with for plans, Jerric is likely to barge into with spells ablazing. tongue.gif

A few tiny nits -
’While the guard began began her explanation,…’ - - an extra began, it seems.
’She rubbed his abdomen in patronizing manner.’ - - in a patronizing manner, perhaps?
“You are wise, my daring,” - - darling, of course.
’Lildereth gave him raise brows.’ - - raised, I think.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jul 18 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #1123

Master
Group Icon

Even if the L and D show is harder to write, you do it wonderfully well. In their own way, they are even funnier than Lil and Jerric- which takes some doing. But she has such an excellent- “not going to take any crap off of anyone, just because I'm a Bosmer” attitude. And she has the wit (and the other skills) to back up that attitude. She is a delight- as long as one is not the target of her barbs....

“You are certain this is safe?” Darnand asked Baurus, holding a chair for Lildereth. “No one will overhear us?”

“We’re never safe.”

Besides all of your original characters, you do an amazing job of showing how driven Baurus is by the failure of the Blades to protect the Emperor.

“What do you need?” asked Baurus.

“I just need myself,” said Lildereth. “I’ll pick up some second-hand things that will help with my disguise.”

Another perfect Lildereth moment.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 18 2019, 01:07 PM
Post #1124

Ancient
Group Icon

It sounds like the guardswoman might be thinking of going to look for Forrest Fenn's treasure. I wonder if it really does respond to the Camarril blood, or if someone merely convinced herself that it does. I kind of suspect the latter. Ah, I see Darnand does as well. He obviously had the same college profs I did, as that is where I learned that correlation does not imply causation. (My Psych Prof regaled us with the tale of how as a young lad he once wrote a paper where he showed the correlation between traffic in Chicago and street deaths in India).

Oh, Darnit and Lil play off one each other wonderfully with the 'tour guide'

Ewww, better get those piles and boils and fungus taken care of! laugh.gif

“We’re never safe.”
I just love Baurus' optimism!

Some solid planning all around by Baurus. And thought observations by Lildreth, in that there will probably be a servants entrance, and a trash dump. Those are the kind of things game designers never think of.

Since Jerric et al. will be arriving at Azura's Shrine, I can guess what task they will be charged with upon arrival. I do like how everything is finally coming back together at Lake Arrius.

Nit? More of a consideration?
I’ve chased away more than a few sketchy-looking gawkers.

You might want to reconsider using 'sketchy'. It is modern slang, and feels odd given the setting. Sort of like Aragorn seeing Gandalf and saying "What up Holmes?"

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 18 2019, 01:50 PM
Post #1125

Councilor
Group Icon

I liked Darnand's invention of "the guide" as a distraction for the guard to go chase.

And causation/correlation is only to be discussed in conjunction with the FSM's belief that global warming is caused by a shortage of priates. tongue.gif

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 25 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #1126

Councilor
Group Icon

Previously: Lildereth and Darnand learned the location of the Mythic Dawn’s Shrine and met with Baurus. Lildereth intends to infiltrate the cult disguised as the Novitiate. In Morrowind Jerric, Kjestrid, Shamir-do, and Nereli got permission to travel through Moonshadow. Gjaever headed to Skyrim on his own.

Acadian: Argh, I had the worst time proofreading the last segment. I lost my changes twice! Thank you for finding those nits. Lildereth and Darnand are entirely responsible for writing their scene in Green Emperor Way. I was just lucky to be there to write it down. tongue.gif Thank you, Acadian!

treydog: I can imagine how much Baurus must want to go all Jerric on the Mythic Dawn up at the lake. Lildereth is in her element planning a solo infiltration. Gosh, I hope her plan works out! laugh.gif Thank you, treydog!

SubRosa: I took your suggestion and replaced “sketchy-looking” with “sly.” It has taken two timelines to get everyone back together! panic.gif I have software now for the next time I do this! I am looking forward to writing the Lildereth POV sections, since she made such a good plan. whistling.gif Thank you, SubRosa!

ghastley: I enjoyed Darnand picking up Lil’s cues in that scene. If it had been Jerric they would probably have ended up in jail. Thank you, ghastley!

Next: Let’s catch up with Jerric and friends in Morrowind.

Chapter 18: The Path of Dawn, Part Ten

The portal was taller than an Altmer in a Harvest’s End headdress and wide enough for two orcs to pass through side by side. Brilliant light ringed a swirling plane of purple and pink mist. Streaks of gold seeped out, expanded into sparkles, and glittered away. From their place in line Jerric could see the Reverend Mother Ra’tayah at its side flanked by a pair of winged twilights. If holding the portal open was a strain, she did not show it.

“Keep moving,” called an acolyte. “Step through and continue walking straight. You have to make room for those behind you.”

Kjestrid looked paler than usual. Her knuckles showed red and white where she clenched her pack straps.

They took two steps forward.

“It’s the waiting,” she muttered. “Gjaever had a good point.”

“It’s no different from the last portal you entered,” said Nereli.

“Khajiit expects it to be entirely different.”

The portal flared with roseate light, then resumed its former brightness. They took two more steps.

“They say we’ll be half-blind in there,” Jerric said. “I wonder if that will be permanent.”

The Dunmer man in front of them turned to speak over his shoulder. “Your first time?”

“Yeah.”

“Ours, too.” He indicated the mer at his side. “We’re moving to Far Withing. Going to open up a tailor shop.”

“Where’s Far Withing?”

“Past Strawberry Fields, I’m told. We’ll have to find our own way I suppose, once we’re through quarantine.”

Shamir-do hissed under his breath.

“What quarantine?” Kjestrid demanded.

They took two steps forward.

“We’ll be at the migrants’ camp for a few weeks,” the Dunmer said. “Didn’t they tell you in your interview?”

Jerric decided that they were not going to stay in any camp. He cut his eyes at Kjestrid.

She gave him a little head shake. They’d solve this on the other side.

As the family in front of the two Dunmeri men stepped into the portal, Ma’sani bustled up. Renlys walked a pace behind her, loaded down with luggage. They had exchanged their temple robes for travel gear. Neither wore armor or visible weapons.

“Renlys will go through first with Dozara,” Ma’sani told them. “Then you four, and Ma’sani will follow.”

The portal flared again, and it was their turn.

“Just like the last one, only without the fire and blood,” Kjestrid said under her breath.

“Right.”

As Dozara’s tail tip disappeared into the portal’s mist, the acolyte made an impatient gesture. Jerric and Kjestrid stepped through.

The disorienting spin and lurch felt the same as entering the Deadlands. Despite what his senses tried to tell him, the ground was firm and level under his feet. Hands gripped his forearms and ushered him forward while his eyes adjusted.

The hushed babble of awed folk sounded over a gentle chorus of nearby bells. The air felt light and smelled sweeter than any garden. Water trickled somewhere close.

“Half-blinded,” Kjestrid said. “I guess now we know.”

The sky looked like the inside of a giant conch shell pierced with pale stars, but grey twilight veiled his eyes when he squinted at Kjestrid. He found her doing the same.

“I think it’s just the light,” Jerric said, hoping to make it true.

“Our Lady created Khajiit for her realm,” Shamir-do said, the cat-like burr strong in his voice. His pupils had widened until they were nearly round.

As the newcomers staggered through the portal, two Khajiit helped them move along to where an officious-looking Imperial was organizing them into a line. He wore silk draped over both shoulders, belted at the waist and open at the sides. That seemed like a good indication that Moonshadow’s climate would remain this comfortable.

“Follow this one,” Ma’sani said. Chin high and ears relaxed, she led them past their fellow travelers. The Imperial acknowledged her with the slightest of bows. Jerric supposed that parchment-pushers must find work in any realm.

“Is the sun rising or setting?” Kjestrid asked.

“Neither.” Ma’sani gestured in a circle, indicating the horizon. “Moonshadow is a realm of dusk and dawn. Here we watch the moons to count our days.”

Jerric recalled the colored plates of the mortal realms and night skies he had studied in school. They made no more sense to him now than they had at the time.

“Since there is always some light, folk choose their own schedules,” Ma’sani continued. “In Moonshadow it is customary to spend eight hours in work, eight hours at personal pursuits, and eight hours at rest.”

“So when a meal is served someone will always be having breakfast?” asked Jerric.

Ma’sani’s whiskers assumed an amused angle. “Nords! Of course, this one should have explained it with meals.”

Now that Jerric’s eyes had adjusted, he could see reasonably well. They stood near a road in a broad meadow of shin-high grass with silvery seed heads. A breeze made it dance in waves like ripples of water. Jerric could feel no sense of direction. What looked like distant mountains behind a blue haze could be cloud banks. Dark shapes against the horizon might be patches of trees. Four-legged creatures moved in a herd through the grass. They did not appear frightened or threatening. Perhaps they were some sort of deer. His stomach rumbled.

The line of immigrants walked away from them along a well-trampled foot path, Jerric guessed to the camp they had been told about.

Ma’sani led them onto the road. “We will walk to the village of Rosehaven. There we will await our Lady’s call.”

Jerric shortened his strides to match Ma’sani’s. He was relieved that they hadn't needed to argue their way out of a quarantine period, but the sense that this shortcut could cost them more time still needled him. “How long will that take?”

“As long as it takes.”

“What’s going to happen, exactly?”

Ma’sani’s ears flicked as if an insect had buzzed against them. “Our Lady Azura, Mother of the Rose, and Prince of this realm will bring us into her presence. Ma’sani knows not when that will be. The Queen of Twilight does not submit her plans for this one’s approval.”

Kjestrid gave him a straight-armed nudge to shove him into position beside Nereli and took the place at Ma’sani’s side. Shamir-do dropped to the rear next to Renlys, still guarding Jerric’s back.

Dozara raised her great wings and sprang into the air on their downward sweep. She held her tail lifted in a curve and legs back like a crane as she flew. Perhaps she used magic. Even with her magnificent wingspan, she had too much body for mundane flight. Jerric had to crack his neck after she flew over. Nereli was similarly entranced by the winged twilight. Belatedly he remembered that he was not supposed to stare. I think I got away with it.

“I’ve never seen paving stones so smooth,” Kjestrid remarked. “I can’t feel the seams at all.”

“There are no seams,” said Ma’sani. “These roads are laid down by whistling snails. They are constantly renewing the surface. They call to each other to know where they should be. The roads are as wide as one snail, so they dislike passing one another.”

Jerric touched the surface with his fingertips, then his whole hand. “It’s like pearl.”

“Yes. Ma’sani thinks it is similar. This one has only seen one once.” She sighed. “Our Lady’s realm is full of wonders.”

“Khajiit believes he has made the right decision,” Shamir-do said.

“Are you leaving us, cat?” asked Jerric.

“No. But never again will the thought of this one’s death sting.”

If Jerric’s sense of time could be trusted, the village was a ten minute walk from the portal site. The houses had thatched roofs and half-timbered walls filled in with plaster. Light glowed from some of their windows. Gardens were fenced and tidy, walkways were swept, and the chickens well-mannered.

“Thank, uh, Azura,” Jerric said. “Chickens!”

On second look, the chickens were some kind of lizard. He gave Nereli an elbow and raised brows.

“Bantam guar,” Nereli said.

“Do they lay eggs?”

Ma’sani’s tail gave a merry swish. Her eyes squinted with humor when she turned. “We will take our ease at the inn. Fear not, human! Our Lady’s guests do not go hungry in Moonshadow.”

Air gusted as Dozara swooped around and lightly landed. She tossed her head to flip the ponytail back over her shoulder.

“I wonder if they’ll make us wear their robes again,” said Nereli.

“You needn’t worry about your clothing,” said Ma’sani. “In Morrowind, it was an endless battle to keep the ash…”

The Khajiit’s raspy voiced faded as light flared all around. Jerric found himself floating in a lavender cloud. The air tasted of star-cloves and smelled almost like jasmine, but not quite.

“I have seen your name, child of Kyne, and heard it whispered in twilight.” A figure materialized before him, too far away to touch. At first it seemed made of golden light, then he saw that she carried a light in each hand. If they were the moon and star as portrayed in her statue, he couldn’t tell. The glare was too strong.

“My Lady,” said Jerric. Dammit, what am I supposed to call her?

“You have asked a boon of me. In return I require of you a service.”

The voice echoed in his bones. His legs twitched involuntarily. “What service can I offer the Queen of Dawn and Dusk?”

“Many years ago in Cyrodiil, five of my faithful slew the vampire Dratik and its kin, but all were infected by the foul creatures. Knowing their fate, they sealed themselves up in the vampire’s lair. Their suffering weighs heavily upon me. Travel from my shrine to the Gutted Mine. The door will open to you. Bring the peace of death to my followers, and I will consider your debt to me fulfilled.”

“I will do as you asked, Lady of the, uh, Night Sky.”

The light faded into her eyes and hands, and for a moment Azura allowed Jerric to see her. She seemed made of silver with black hair that drifted as if they were under water. Her laugh felt like nails grazing his skin. “Welcome to Moonshadow, Jerric of Kvatch.”

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 25 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #1127

Councilor
Group Icon

Well, if Jerric noticed her hair, he was probably looking in a safe direction. Probably. biggrin.gif

I hope the crew is dressed appropriately before they get to Gutted Mine. It's snowy up there.

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 25 2019, 07:54 PM
Post #1128

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the summary in your opening comments.

A wonderful description of the portal, using such TES-friendly and crystal clear dimensions.

Absolutely loved your depiction of the sky in Moonshadow. And quite expected that it is a beautiful land of perpetual twilight. Where Nords need to use meals to tell time. tongue.gif

The winged twilight's flight and landing were wonderful to read and really showcased the nature of those daedra.

And what an unexpected joy to learn that Jerric will be doing the Dratik quest and rescuing those long-suffering unwillingly vampiric souls. Certainly a quest that Buffy remembers well.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
treydog
post Jul 26 2019, 01:20 AM
Post #1129

Master
Group Icon

The portal was taller than an Altmer in a Harvest’s End headdress and wide enough for two orcs to pass through side by side.

What a perfectly ES description!

“Just like the last one, only without the fire and blood,” Kjestrid said under her breath.

No PTSD there- nope, not a bit....

“So when a meal is served someone will always be having breakfast?” asked Jerric.

Ma’sani’s whiskers assumed an amused angle. “Nords! Of course, this one should have explained it with meals.”

And another absolutely Jerric moment... Followed by his reaction to the bantam chicken guar... thingies....

Azura's realm and her presence were both wonderfully depicted. And the task she has for Jerric will be difficult, but I think it will also be acceptable to him.

A most pleasant read just at dusk.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Renee
post Jul 26 2019, 04:45 PM
Post #1130

Councilor
Group Icon

Yikes they're walking on snails! And chickens which are really reptiles!

Hey you did a really great job outlining this bizarre world they've stepped into. I wonder if that place will cause Jerric to ... I don't know. Lose some of his mind? Maybe not. He's a Nord after all.

“My Lady,” said Jerric. Dammit, what am I supposed to call her?

Lolz! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 26 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #1131

Ancient
Group Icon

I too loved your decision to describe the size of the portal in terms of people, rather than feet and inches. It adds a much more lush and personal imagery to the scene.

I hope this portal will be nicer than the last one! Well, maybe not the actual transition, but certainly what lies on the other side.

Waffles around the clock! smile.gif

I do love the description of the Twilight Realm. I would much rather live there than the Deadlands or Coldharbour!

I will have to talk to the Lady of Twilight about getting some of those snails for Michigan's roads...

Batman Guar? Cool! laugh.gif

A very nice touch of the light in both Azura's hands - Moon and Star. It immediately brought to mind the twin torches carried by Hekate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jul 29 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #1132

Master
Group Icon

You provided great imagery when describing the portal to Azura's Realm of Moonshadow. With the many colored portals and gates in ESO, it makes sense that the door to her realm is just as beautiful as the place itself.

"In Moonshadow it is customary to spend eight hours in work, eight hours at personal pursuits, and eight hours at rest.”

This was a pretty interesting piece here. The realms of Oblivion operate sometimes at whims of the Daedric Lord, and fortunately Azura is considered one of the more benevolent Daedric Princes. Moonshadow does seem like a paradise in comparison to the other hellish places! I mean even the weather always nice!

He wore silk draped over both shoulders, belted at the waist and open at the sides. That seemed like a good indication that Moonshadow’s climate would remain this comfortable.

So, the Lady of Dusk and Dawn has given our heroes a quest to fulfill in exchange for her support! A familiar quest at that! I'm excited to see what happens next!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post

57 Pages V « < 55 56 57
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:19 AM