Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Postcards from Tamriel, Stories and such that fall somewhere between a snippet and a thread
Acadian
post Aug 12 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #21

Paladin
Group Icon

A heart pounding episode until Rhano was safe! You beautifully maintained what felt to be a most appropriate pacing as Jerric flew here and raced there. Necessarily your descriptions had to be light, but they nevertheless unobtrusively and fully immersed us into what was happening.

Then, as much as I love Jerric and Rhano, Master Relas stole the show! I heartily echo Rider's praise for how perfectly you portrayed him here. Wow!

Master Relas' explanation of the atronach birthsign, in terms that were both encouraging and appropriate for a ten year old, was magnificent and it was truly beautiful of him to fill the young Nord with reasonable hope and expectations.

I loved how Rhano was so sober and quiet that nothing could get him talking. . . UNTIL the possibility of Jerric becoming a mage rose its horrifying head!

I have no problem distinguishing alchemy from the other magical disciplines. I can see where rangers, foresters , wood elves, thieves and even farmers might perhaps become quite skilled with it. In fact I can see that those who would eschew spellcasting might readily embrace alchemical alternatives. Plus, escaping that water cave was notably more important than healing a clean ankle fracture. Although I see wise ghastley's point, it was certainly not a concern for me as written. smile.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Destri Melarg
post Aug 12 2011, 05:05 AM
Post #22

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Aug 11 2011, 09:02 AM) *

I'm not quite seeing how a water breathing potion is acceptable magic, but healing isn't. Rhano's parents wouldn't know he'd been injured in the first place, so both leave him in the same state in which he left home. This way makes the use of the potion come out in the open, so I'd have expected the logic to have been "we've started, so we have to finish" with the use of magic.

However, I'm not a ten-year old kid thinking it through.

Interesting point. My own understanding of Redguard thinking on the matter is that it has to do with the fact that a potion is the magicka distilled from the essence of plant or animal. In that sense it is more akin to science than magic. Even the most magic-phobic Redguard will swill a healing potion if he needs it. A potion still qualifies as magic in the strictest sense, but it is not drawing upon some arcane internal force in order to bend (or break) the laws of nature.

Of course I might be completely wrong.

Acadian already mentioned my favorite part of this episode. I could just see the look on Rhano’s face at the suggestion that his beloved friend might someday become *gasp* a mage.

“I mentioned that everyone is a vessel of a certain size. Nords tend to begin as smaller vessels, but with effort they might make themselves hold more magicka.”

Is this Relas’ tactful way of insinuating that Nords are dumb? laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 12 2011, 06:22 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

So this is the beginning of Jerric's interest in magic. The scenes were very visually written, and the Dunmer - really interesting how he cued in on Jerric and knew he'd be curious about the magic. Your descriptions of how the magic works, the birthsigns, and the diffs between magic and potions was absolutely perfect !!! Awesome Write !!!

This post has been edited by mALX: Aug 12 2011, 06:23 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Aug 12 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #24

Ancient
Group Icon

Running away from shouting adults was a good way to meet some of Anvil’s city guards, and Jerric thought that he had met enough of them already.
This was not only cute, but also explains why Jerric does not go to the nearest city guard and ask for help. Like Teresa, he has learned not to expect anything from them but trouble.

The Altmer standing there looked as fancy as a countess.
We do not have to guess who that is!

Felen to the rescue! You never know when you're going to need a good strong potion. Like this. How like Jerric to dive in ahead of the dark elf. Even after told to wait outside.

I see that Rhano, or his parents at least, possess the classic Redguard prejudice against magic. It seems that Rhano managed to avoid picking up the same opinion. At least not to the same degree, as we see him help Jerric spar with Darnand's summonings when they are grown-ups. Perhaps this experience taught him to look at magic a little differently?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Aug 12 2011, 09:45 PM
Post #25

Councilor
Group Icon

The story is over, and thank you for reading it! I appreciate the thought-provoking comments and discussion very much. I plan to get back to Jerric’s Story next week. I ended up dumping an entire chapter. It was painful, but I’m moving on.

haute ecole rider: I hoped you would like Master Relas! For all of his velvet and powder, I see him as someone who would spring into action. After all, Carahil has no tolerance for mages who are useless in the field. That’s why I had him lead the Anvil guild’s expedition to Kvatch after the attack. You are so right, I’m sure Rhano would have even gone with the sea-sirens by the time Jerric got back. Of course, Jerric’s decision-making process hasn’t changed much since he was nine. Whatever Felen and Rhano saw, it was bad enough to keep Felen from offering Jerric a potion. Two freaked out kids in a narrow underwater tunnel would be a little much for him to handle.

mALX: Exactly, Felen looked at this wide-eyed Nord kid and saw a future battlemage. Of course if Jerric had announced that his ambition was to join the Weavers Guild instead of being a guard, the conversation might have gone differently. Also Jerric demonstrated an independent way of thinking by going to the Mages Guild for help, not to mention the disregard for his own safety that would allow him to eventually jump through an Oblivion Gate. Happily for Jerric, Felen could see the potential in his behavior.

ghastley: I’m really glad you brought that up. The water breathing potion was just less unacceptable than letting yourself drown. The main issue that the boys were worried about was getting a mage involved. The potion saved Rhano’s life, but healing the ankle would have been unnecessary. At their age they wouldn’t have the judgment to decide that alteration and healing aren’t as bad as summoning or illusion, they would just have been told to stay away from spellcasters. I didn’t mention it in the story, but I think the Mages Guild at that time would still be loaded with necromancers. That would make all mages extremely suspect to folks like Rhano’s mom who already have a deep mistrust of magic users.

The second thing is that both boys have a sense of honor that won’t allow them to lie, and in their minds not telling Rhano’s parents what happened would be a kind of lying. So healing the ankle and not mentioning the incident wouldn’t work for them. Jerric offered to pay for the potion not to hide it from Ongve, but because he felt responsible for bringing the Mages Guild into the situation. The boys know each other well enough to not need to discuss it. Many kids would have gone the way of the cover-up, which is why Jerric mentioned to Felen that they would tell the truth. In the end the boys would have been punished for putting themselves into the situation more than for saving Rhano with a potion. Ongve would have insisted that Jerric fulfill his promise to Felen, which would result in him spending even more time with the mages. Good for Jerric, upsetting for Rhano’s mom.

Acadian: You make a good point about potions vs. spells. I think alchemy works much better as a regular skill in a magical world the way you describe it and the way I think it will be in Skyrim. I’ve gone the way of drawing mystical properties out of the ingredients in my story, but Darnand came up with an answer for me to fix it, I think.

You picked out the moment where Jerric and Rhano’s troubles begin. It will be another eight years and a bit before they join their guilds, but after that whisper Jerric starts keeping some things to himself. I’m so glad Felen stole the show! Now you see why he has such a soft spot for the battlemage and reluctant alchemist that he recruited. Thank you for your kind words about Felen’s character. It was fun to show why he means a lot to Jerric.

Destri Melarg: All I know about Redguard thinking and magic comes from Trayvond the Redguard in the game, so I was interested to hear what you have learned. I think a potion in Hammerfell would be more trustworthy than a potion in Cyrodiil, where necromancy is at this time still accepted. Even a healing potion could come from a human heart, or a fortify health potion could contain zombie flesh. Some of it would also depend on the potion. An invisibility potion would still be tampering with the mind, for example. The families’ caravans would certainly carry a supply of healing potions, and I would expect at least some of their guards and scouts to use enchantments. But kids often overhear much more than they are told, and the talk at Rhano‘s house about magic users would probably be negative.

Poor Rhano, I’m sure he worried that his buddy would head straight out to the cemetery and start digging up bodies. That moment that you and Acadian picked out was pretty much the reason for the story, so I am very pleased that it stood out for you.

SubRosa: Rhano definitely shares his mother’s mistrust of magic, and that’s the basis for his future conflict with Jerric. When Jerric joins the Fighters Guild after Kvatch and asks Rhano if he will be able to get over it and train him, he means get over Jerric being a battlemage. It took an army of actual daedra burning Kvatch to the ground to get Rhano to cooperate with training against a summoned dremora. Carahil had a similar change of heart when she recommended that Jerric go to Chorrol and learn more about daedric conjuring.

I’m glad you liked the line about meeting too many guards. I’m sure Jerric earned every cross word he got from them. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Aug 13 2011, 02:47 AM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

That fun adventure sure turned sour. blink.gif
I wouldn’t be in there that’s for sure.

---------------------------

Hoo I wonder if Rhano hates magic like most Redguards do.
Jerric shoulda woulda coulda stayed out like the dark elf said.
“Do you lads live in Anvil?” He’s looking for payment lol.
Ah hah. So Rhano disapproves of magic. That explains the cold shoulder in the fighter’s guild that I recently read.

-----------------------------

What a nice little story smile.gif
It lays a little ground work on how Jerric became a battle mage as well.

--------------------
Aravi: A Khajiit in Skyrim

Recipient of the Colonel Mustard Official Badge of Awesomeosity
+Quote Post
treydog
post Aug 14 2011, 01:08 AM
Post #27

Master
Group Icon

This was simply a wonderful break- as well as showing us how Jerric and Rhano became who they are. Short stories are among the hardest to write- and you do it with all of your considerable talent.

Others have ninja'd my favorite quotes (darned short dachshund legs!) so I will content myself with

S.G.M.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 15 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #28

Councilor
Group Icon

Jerric’s Story has accumulated a lot of characters, many of whom have names that are longer than their roles. Plus there are a couple of little stories floating around with some of the same characters. I made a list of them mostly to keep myself from using the same name twice (or giving the same person two different names, sorry about that Simeon), but here there are in case anyone wants to refresh their memory in the years between a character’s appearances. whistling.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 15 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jul 15 2012, 03:06 PM) *

Jerric’s Story has accumulated a lot of characters, many of whom have names that are longer than their roles. Plus there are a couple of little stories floating around with some of the same characters. I made a list of them mostly to keep myself from using the same name twice (or giving the same person two different names, sorry about that Simeon), but here there are in case anyone wants to refresh their memory in the years between a character’s appearances. whistling.gif

GAAAAH!!! Where's the list? Urk?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 15 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #30

Councilor
Group Icon

Appendix One: The People of Jerric's World

A listing of original characters with mention of any significant connections to Bethesda's characters. As long as there's a story to tell, this will be a work in progress.

Abiene Metonne: Breton woman born under the sign of the Ritual, healer, eldest child of the Metonnes of Leyawiin, younger sister Sidette.

Achille Penoit: Breton man of Chorrol, Darnand's older half-brother, only child of Ranier Penoit and his first wife.

Adrien Metonne: Breton man of Leyawiin, husband of Solene, father of Abiene and Sidette.

Aelindor: Bosmer man, former head of the Mages Guild's Skingrad chapter.

Agda: Nord woman of Hrotanda Vale, smuggler.

Alba Olivera: Imperial woman of Chorrol, city guard Constable.

Amber: Imperial woman of Bruma, guild prostitute.

Anette Lavois: Breton woman of Weye, Dionne's daughter.

Antistia: Imperial woman of Skingrad.

Asgerd: Nord woman of Bruma, chapter head of the Bruma Fighters Guild.

Balbus: Imperial man of Anvil, unemployed, romantically involved with Honoria.

Banner: Darnand's bay gelding.

Bertille: Breton woman of Anvil, cook for the Mages Guild.

Bog Trawler: Nord man of Anvil, longshoreman.

Brocchus: Imperial man of Kvatch, prison guard.

Bryndis: Nord woman of Bruma, guild Prostitute.

Bugshat: orc man of Bruma, cook at the Bruma Fighters Guild.

Burrus: Redguard man of Anvil, Anvil City Guardsman.

Carla: Breton woman of Bruma, guild Prostitute.

Carmia: Imperial woman of Gnoll's Meeting Camp, mother of Faustino and Lavina, cook.

Cordus: Imperial man of Cloud Ruler Temple, retired Blade, mender, executive in charge of laundry operation.

Darnand Penoit: Breton man born under the sign of the Apprentice, mage, only child of Ranier Penoit and his second wife, older half-brother Achille.

Daron: Redguard man of Kvatch, retired Fighters Guild trainer, blademaster.

Delain: Breton man of Cloud Ruler Temple, Caroline's son.

Dionne Lavois: Breton woman of Weye, mother of Anette.

Domitius: Imperial man of Garlas Malatar, necromancer, killed by Lildereth.

Donrehdil: Bosmer woman from Silvenar, Thaurron's late wife.

Fandius Terentius: Imperial man of County Bravil, nephew of Count Regulus Terentius.

Faustino: Imperial boy of Gnoll's Meeting Camp, Carmia's son, Lavina's older brother.

Fidella: Imperial girl of Kvatch, employee of The Rambling Rose Bathhouse and Brothel, aspiring prostitute.

Fjirsten: Nord girl of Kvatch, eldest child of Kolr and Svanja, Hrolgar's older sister, Jerric's niece.

Flash: Prior Maborel's paint horse.

Foul Festia: Toothless Imperial woman, drifter.

Fullo Macula: Imperial man of Anvil, Fighters Guild porter.

Fylkr: Nord boy of Hrotanda Vale, Valdi's brother.

Garond: Breton man of Cloud Ruler Temple, Blades smith.

Gerd the Unknown: Nord woman of Hrotanda Vale, smuggler.

Gjaever: Nord man of Bruma, Fighters Guild member.

Glafeviel: Bosmer woman, Journeyman of the Mages Guild.

Gudrid: Captain of the Bruma County Militia.

Gwylen: Brown-eyed and dimpled Bosmer woman of the Imperial City, Apprentice of the Mages Guild, works at the Arcane University.

Hastus: Imperial man of Chorrol, bathhouse proprietor.

Hegen: Nord man of Hrotanda Vale, smuggler.

Hjordhild: Nord woman of Anvil, head cook for the Mages Guild.

Honoria: Redguard woman of Anvil, baker, resident of Westgate, romantically involved with Balbus.

Hrolgar: Nord boy of Kvatch, youngest child of Svanja and Kolr, Fjirsten's brother, Jerric's nephew.

Igren: Breton man of Hope Valley, community leader and kahve farmer.

Ilmerion: Altmer man of the Imperial City, necromancer, resides at Ilmerion Manor in the Talos Plaza District.

Ilonea: Imperial woman of Leyawiin, wife of Revilius, the Metonnes' housekeeper.

Ipean: Jesan Rilian's horse.

Irmarus Hetarian: Imperial man of Kvatch.

Ishckrihk: Jerric's summoned frost atronach.

Jaan: Nord man of Bruma, smith at the Bruma Fighters Guild.

Jerric Kjellingson: Nord man of Kvatch, born under the sign of the Atronach, battlemage, youngest son of Kjelling and Sonstra, older brothers Rothmund and Petr, older sisters Selka and Svanja.

Jytte: Nord woman of County Bruma, County Bruma Militia member, killed in battle at the Maiden Springs Gate.

Kip: Jerric's chestnut gelding.

Kjelling: Nord man of Kvatch, Sonstra's husband, father of Rothmund, Petr, Selka, Svanja, and Jerric.

Kjestrid: Nord woman of Bruma, Fighters Guild member.

Lason: Redguard man of Gnoll's Meeting Camp.

Lavina: Imperial girl of Gnoll's Meeting Camp, Carmia's daughter, Faustino's younger sister.

Lildereth: Bosmer woman, Journeyman of the Cyrodiil Mages Guild.

Livius: Imperial man, Legion soldier, veteran of the Battle for Kvatch.

Llyrela: Dunmer woman of Anvil in Jerric's youth, owner of the enchanted Helm of Fin Gleam.

Lorna: Imperial woman of Leyawiin, hairdresser.

Luco Nufurio: Imperial man of Kvatch, Jerric's friend since childhood.

Mahvash: Redguard woman of Cloud Ruler Temple, Blades smith.

Marcellus Illio: Imperial man of Anvil, constable of Anvil City Guard.

Marsten: Nord male of County Bruma, County Bruma Militia member.

Masavo: Imperial man, Legion archer, veteran of the Battle for Kvatch.

Matilene: Breton woman of Gnoll's Meeting Camp, prostitute.

Meja: Nord woman of Kvatch, husband Rothmund, son Willem; Jerric's sister-in-law.

Melandiril: Altmer man of the Imperial City, employed by Ilmerion.

Mivanu Brenos: Dunmer woman of Blacklight, Redoran Guard Captain.

Nahdari: Khajiit woman of Valenwood, Lildereth's childhood friend.

Nereli Llandam: Dunmer woman of Mattapi, local militia scout, member of House Redoran.

Nunzio: Imperial man of Bruma, Fighters Guild porter.

Ongve: Nord man of Anvil, founding partner of Running Wolf Postal and Freight, Shasana's husband, Rhano's father.

Orianne Fournier: Breton woman of Chorrol, owner and proprietor of the restaurant House of Fournier, wife of Thierre Fournier.

Paetus: Imperial man, Legion soldier, veteran of the Battle for Kvatch.

Perien: Breton man of the Imperial City, Apprentice of the Mages Guild, works at the Arcane University.

Perius: Imperial man of Bruma, Fighters Guild member.

Precious: Jerric's summoned scamp.

Ranier Penoit: Breton man of Chorrol, sons Achille and Darnand.

Raufin: Nord woman of Mattapi, local militia member, deceased.

Revilius: Imperial man of Leyawiin, husband of Ilonea, the Metonnes' handyman.

Rhea: Nord woman of Bruma, Fighters Guild member.

Rose: A horse.

Rothmund: Nord man of Kvatch, wife Meja, son Willem; Jerric's older brother.

Rudy the Squint: Redguard man of Kvatch, Jerric's friend since childhood.

Rullus: Imperial man of Weye.

Sa-Teega: Argonian man of Gnoll's Meeting Camp, hedge alchemist.

Sandrine: Breton woman of Kvatch.

Servilla the Serpent: Uniquely gifted Imperial of Skingrad, prostitute of The Colovian Rose.

Shair-Do: Khajiit man of Bruma, warrior of the Bruma Fighters Guild.

Shasana: Redguard woman of Anvil, Anvil partner of Running Wolf Postal and Freight, Ongve's wife, Rhano's mother.

Sidette Metonne: Breton woman of Leyawiin, Abiene's younger sister.

Simeon the White-Pate: Nord man of the Imperial City, founding partner of Running Wolf Postal and Freight.

Slim: Jerric's summoned skeleton.

Solene Metonne: Breton woman of Leyawiin, wife of Adrien, mother of Abiene and Sidette.

Sonstra Hammer-Helm: Nord woman of Kvatch, Kjelling's wife, mother of Rothmund, Petr, Selka, Svanja, and Jerric.

Svanja: Nord woman of Kvatch, wife of Kolr, mother of Fjirsten and Hrolgar, Jerric's older sister.

Svaknar: Nord male of County Bruma, County Bruma Militia member.

Talenris: Dunmer man of Leyawiin, mage.

Terniroth: Bosmer man of Anvil, porter.

Therius Aiello: Imperial man of Kvatch, Jerric's friend since childhood.

Thierre Fournier: Breton man of Chorrol, owner and proprietor of the restaurant House of Fournier, husband of Orianne Fournier.

Thursten the Long-Eye: Nord male of County Bruma, County Bruma Militia member.

Tilenwen: Bosmer woman of Kvatch, ostler.

Tonio: Imperial man of Bruma, scullery lad at the Bruma Fighters Guild.

Torellius: Imperial man of Bruma, Fighters Guild member.

Tulia: Imperial woman of Anvil, clothier, owner of Tulia's Threads.

Tutius: Imperial man of Anvil in Jerric's youth, teenaged thug.

Ulfe: A dog.

Valdi: Nord girl of Hrotanda Vale, former Akkvit smuggler.

Vania: Imperial woman of Anvil, housekeeper, mother of five girls.

Vanildil: Altmer woman of the Imperial City, Apprentice of the Mages Guild, works at the Arcane University.

Venco: Imperial man of Weynon Priory, Blade, monk in the Order of Talos.

Vito: Imperial man of Bruma, cook's assistant at the Bruma Fighters Guild.

Willem: Nord man of Kvatch, mother Meja, father Rothmund; Jerric's nephew (two years older than Jerric).

Yanerion: Altmer man of Anvil, healer born under the Ritual, Mages Guild member, Abiene's student.

This post has been edited by Grits: Mar 26 2019, 11:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 15 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

Holy Cow, there are some names I don't recognize on there! Thank you for making this list, when there are long gaps between chapters sad.gif (HINT HINT) people tend to forget their favorite stories! wub.gif (URK ... brazen hint - MORE MORE)! ROFL !! Seriously, this is appreciated.

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Jul 15 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

That's quite a list Grits! blink.gif I'd never be able to keep track of that many characters.

QUOTE(mALX @ Jul 15 2012, 02:33 PM) *

Holy Cow, there are some names I don't recognize on there! Thank you for making this list, when there are long gaps between chapters sad.gif (HINT HINT) people tend to forget their favorite stories! wub.gif (URK ... brazen hint - MORE MORE)! ROFL !! Seriously, this is appreciated.

rollinglaugh.gif

C'mon Grits, we are eagerly waiting for another installment of Jerric & Co. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 15 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #33

Councilor
Group Icon

Exactly, I am utterly failing to keep track of them! tongue.gif This helps me, too! I’ve been writing all afternoon. It’s been fun. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 15 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jul 15 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Exactly, I am utterly failing to keep track of them! tongue.gif This helps me, too! I’ve been writing all afternoon. It’s been fun. smile.gif

** mALX taps foot, looks at watch numerous times **

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 16 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #35

Paladin
Group Icon

Thanks for the wonderful listing! I know what you mean about the need to keep good notes on the supporting characters we create. I'm so looking forward to reading more of the Jerric story!

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Jul 16 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

Very neat to see the Who's Who of the Jerricdyll. I keep similar notes on all the major characters in the TF, along with little things like how stuff works, what things cost, holidays, a tamriel calendar with birthsigns, food, etc... But I do not go to the length of listing every named character who has ever appeared. Here are my FG entries:

Fighters Guild

The leader of the entire guild is Vilena Donton, and her title is Guild Master. Her second is Modryn Oreyn, the Guild Champion. Local Chapters are led by a Guild Commander, and their second is a Vice Commander. Rank and file members are simply known as Fighters.

Full members of the FG are identified by a amulet which all are given in the shape of the FG logo, a red kite-shaped shield with a white sword pointed downward. These also have a minor (5%) Shield enchantment on them. THey always wear them while on official business.

The FG has a branch in the Imperial City, located in the Arena District. This is led by Vilena Donton in addition to her duties are head of the entire guild. her second, Modryn Oreyn handles the day to day operations of the IC chapter. Because of this the Chorrol chapter has entirely new characters as Commander and Vice Commander.

The Bravil FG participated in the Defense of Bruma. There they lost most of their chapter. The only survivors were Pappy, Tadrose, and Vincent (Tavian did not go).

The Fighters Guild typically does the following types of jobs:
Armed and Unarmed weapons training.
Bodyguarding and security for short-terms (i.e. not permanent)
Capture of wanted criminals when regular authorities are not able to (bounty hunting).
In addition, according to the charter with the Empire, all FG members are expected to capture known criminals if they are given the opportunity.
Killing magical beasts/goblins/minotaurs that threaten remote communities
Working with people during kidnappings, either delivering ransoms or making covert attacks to recover victims.

Gaius "Pappy" Vitellus
Gaius "Pappy" Vitellus leads the Bravil FG, having the rank of guild commander. He is in his early forties, with short black hair gowing grey at the temples. His eyes are blue, and he is handsomely featured. His body is lean and trim in spite of his age, with perfectly sculpted muscles. He was born from a rich commoner family in the Imperial City on the 25th of First Seed (March) 3E390.

He is a former Primus Pilus who was run out of the service because of his chronic insubordination and freewheeling attitude when it came to scrounging supplies for his troops, especially illegal Nordic Whiskey. He joined the legion at 18 (3E408), his father securing him a centurion's position in the Fifth Legion in Cyrodiil, leading the Cohort on the Waterfront. He was transferred out after making enemies with then Legate Titus Vibius. He went to the Sixth Legion in Skyrim. During an uprising in the province, Pappy took command of the garrison of Whiterun and held the city against attacks by a vastly superior rebel army. Because of this the rebels were unable to sieze control of the province, and the next year a relief army from Cyrodiil came to his rescue. For this he was awarded the Grass Crown.

He was transferred to High Rock after that, receiving a promotion to Primus Pilus in the bargain. However, he punched the legate of his Legion, and found himself transferred to Elsweyr. Near the end he took another legate for all his money in a poker game (rumor has it he slugged that legate too, but he did not). He was finally forced to resign in 3E423. Afterward he went to the Fighters Guild and rose through their ranks because he is smart, resourceful, a natural leader, and just plain good at killing things. By 3E427 he was the Guild Champion. However, he did not get along with the Guild Master Vilena Donton at all because of his cockiness, dislike for authority, and free-wheeling attitude.

In 3E429 Modryn Oreyn engineered his downfall by convincing several members of the IC chapter to come forward and file formal charges against Pappy, claiming he favored certain female members with choice contracts in return for their sexual favors. It was true that he slept with more than one member of the IC chapter, but he never assigned contracts on that basis, only on the ability of the members. That did not matter though, as it gave Donton the pretext she needed to remove him and pack him off into semi-exile in Bravil - the least desireable chapter in Cyrodiil. In the meantime Modryn took Pappy's place as Guild Champion.

Pappy makes an excellent father figure for Teresa, in no small part because he is such a reprobate. But also because he genuinely cares for the people under him and feels responsible for them. His experience gives him a wisdom that youngin's like the others in the FG cannot match. He calls the young FG members meatheads while he is teaching them all the sneaky tricks of how to beat the enemy and stay alive that they do not teach in Legion school.

He is also a superb chef. He learned to be because as he will say himself "When you are stationed in as many gods-forsaken holes as he as been, you either learn to like the taste of stale hardtack and weevils, or you learn to make something else to eat." Being a resourceful person, he learned. I think his specialty is seafood. Clams, crab, fish, etc...)

In combat he wears a Legion cuirass with a grass crown etched upon the breast (enchanted with 12% Shield Spell), a legion helm, and Orcish boots, greaves, gauntlets and shield (enchanted with a 12% Fire Shield spell) and carries a Nordic broadsword named Hardrada (Nordic - Hard Counsel)(enchanted with Disintegrate Armor). It has a long double-edged blade with Nordic runes going down the center reading "The Warrior's Wisdom is Hard Counsel". The handgrip is made of grooved whalebone, and the wide crossguard is of carved gold, and the wide pommel of a lobed design. He wears a Ring of Firewalking that gives him a 30% resistance to fire, cancelling out his weakness to it.

He knows some Apprentice level Restoration spells, including Cure Disease, and Fortify Strength and Endurance. He was born under the Lord birthsign, giving him the ability to Restore Health 6 points for 15 seconds (90 points total) multiple times per day (at a cost of 50 magicka - very efficent). It also gives him a weakness to fire at -25% (note that his Ring cancels this out).

Pappy's Rule #2 - Never pass up an opportunity.
Pappy's Rule #3 - Don't push your luck after you've won.
Pappy's Rule #5 - If you can't out-talk them, outguess them. If you can't outguess them, outrank them.
Pappy's Rule #10 - Never fight a battle you cannot win.

Tadrose Helas
Tadrose Helas a 29 year old Dunmer armorer at the Bravil FG, having the rank of guild vice-commander. She was born on the 9th of Hearth Fire (September) 3E404. She is orignally from Morrowind, and unknown to anyone she is a member of House Indoril. Her real name is actually Tyrela Indoril. She is the daughter of the House leader, and was being groomed to take her place. She has raven-black hair styled in elf-braids, and the blue skin and red eyes of all her race. Her body is scarred. She has one on her left forearm from a dagger stab, gotten in a knife fight. She has an arrow scar in her stomach. There is another scar from an axe in her upper left leg. The skin over the small of her back is discolored, too light for the rest of her skin. That is from a lightning bolt she suffered at Bruma.

In 3E421 (when she was 17) she fell in love with Balen Dres the son of House Dres' leader, and a year later she was pregnant. Sort of a Romeo and Juliet kind of situation. But one where there would not only be a scandal, but the child would actually be in the position to inherit the leadership of both houses. That would be something that both were willing to kill to prevent. They were found out by her own house, but the circumstances were hushed up to avoid the scandal. Her child was to be killed after birth, as it was so far along that aborting it would endanger Tadrose as well. She gave birth to Sere on the 15th of Evening Star (December) 3E422. But in fact her maid Arvela (who was skilled in illusion magic) switched her child with that of an already dead infant, so that it appeared to be a still-birth. Her real child was sprited out of the country in secret by Arvela.

On the 1st of Morning Star (January) 3E423 Tadrose left Morrowind, supposedly in self-imposed exile. But in reality she was leaving in order to be close to her child - now named Seryne - who was taken to Bravil by Arvela. Arvela changed her name to Marilesa and joined the Mages Guild. A year later she married a Dunmer man named Tolvele Sathendas in the city, and they have raised Seryne together ever since. Only she and Tadrose know the true circumstances of Seryne's birth. Tyrela took the name Tadrose, and never told her family she was going to Bravil. Taking a circuitrous route, she has done her best to make sure her family have no idea who she really is. But she is still afraid they might someday find her, and that is why she is not raising her daughter herself. To protect her, she is letting Arvela/Marilesa raise Seryne as her own, never to know that Tadrose is her real mother and what her actual heritage is.

There Tadrose joined the Fighter's Guild and learned to fight, so that she would never be helpless again. In time she became an armourer as well. She completely throws herself into her work, as it takes her mind off what happened. Her only escape is that she usually takes her lunch near the Lucky Lady statue, where she watches Seryne and the other children play. She will have nothing to do with men thanks to what happened. Still, in spite of all of this she remains a friendly, and generally positive person. She is glad that she can at least still be near her daughter and watch her grow up, and most of all that she will be safe.

In combat Tadrose wears a full suit of Elven armour and carries a Claymore of Flames named Anganar "Forge" (Elven Claymore as base plus fire damage), and her boots have the Water-Walking ability. She know the Apprentice Level Restoration spell - Heal Major Wounds, and the Apprentice Level Alteration spell Defend (shield 15%), an Apprentice level Lightning Bolt, and an Apprentice level Recharge Item. She does not have a great deal of magicka however, and using any of these spells depletes most of her energy. As a Dunmer she has Fire Resistance of 75%, but as she has changed her name and renounced her family, she cannot summon an ancestor guardian spirit. She was born under the Lady birthsign, giving her heightened endurance and willpower. As an elf, she has her period only twice a year, on the solstices.

Tadrose's room at the Fighters Guild
The Dunmer's chamber contained the same, plain furnishings that all of their rooms did. There was a bed, dresser, mirrored wash basin, and combination dressing table and desk. Her elven armor grew from an arming rack in one corner, and Anganar was sheathed beside it. There was little else however. The walls were bare of adornment, but for a single low bookcase packed with worn volumes. A ceramic vase stood atop it, sprouting bright yellow flax. Alongside it lay a bared arming sword of ordinary grey steel. Its handle was wrapped in pewter wire, and its pommel was a simple disc of metal. The single window in the room faced west, and through it Teresa could see the lowering sun filling the mountains with red and orange light.

Vincent Galien
Vincent Galien is a 19 year old Breton male with long, wavy brown hair and brown eyes at the Bravil FG. He was born on the 22nd of Last Seed (August) 4E414 He is one of the only surviving members of the Bruma campaign, although he had only joined the guild shortly before that. He is a light-hearted person and likes to joke and otherwise act the fool. In battle he wears a full suit of steel armor and shield, and carries a fine steel longsword. Out of battle he wears a Forester's tunic, huntsman's pants, and pigskin shoes.

He knows the Novice level Restoration spell Heal Minor Wounds. As a Breton he has a Resistance to Magic at 50%. He was born under the Warrior birthsign, giving him a bonus to his strength and endurance.

Vincent's bad jokes:
Two ogres are eating a jester, one looks to the other and says "does this taste funny to you?"
Why was the werewolf arrested in the butchers shop? He was chop-lifting.
Which monster eats the fastest? The goblin.
What do you call a mosquito in a tin suit? A bite in shining armour.
Why do vampires have no friends? Because they're a pain in the neck.
What do vampires cross the sea in? Blood vessels.
A blind rabbit and a blind snake ran into each other on the road one day. The snake reached out, touched the rabbit and said, "You're soft and fuzzy and have floppy ears. You must be a rabbit." The rabbit reached out, touched the snake and said, "You're slimy, beady-eyed and low to the ground. You must be a conjuration teacher."
How do wraith's like their eggs? Terror fried.
Why did the troll eat candles? For a light snack.
What do you get if you cross a troll with a cat? A town that is free of dogs.

Tavian
Tavian is the FG porter in Bravil. He is a teen Imperial boy who is anxious to grow up and become a hero. Pappy and the other fighters have taken him under their wing and are teaching him the trade, and keeping him out of trouble. He wears a green wool shirt, light brown linen pants, and pigskin shoes.

Storm-Tail
Storm-Tail is a male Argonian at the Bravil FG. He was born on the 12th of Sun's Dawn (February), under the sign of the Serpent. He is a new recruit of the Bravil FG. He wears a suit of elven armor and shield and wields a Akaviri Katana, all of which belonged to his father. It is an enchanted Akavari Warblade, damaging health, fatigue, and magicka. Out of combat he wears a Forester's shirt, black pants, and cowhide shoes. His father was a member of the Bravil FG who died at Bruma. Storm-Tail is trying to live up to his father's name and be someone that he would be proud of

At the beginnng of the story he knows the Novice level Illusion spell Illuminate (Light in a 10' radius). As an Argonian he has a resistance to disease, is immune to poison, and can breathe water. Born under the serpent, he can poison others on touch.

Chance
Chance is a male Redguard at the Bravil FG. He is also a new recruit in the Bravil FG. He is young, and stowed away on a ship from Sentinel in Hammerfell seeking adventure. He wound up in Bravil with no money and no where to go, so he joined the FG. In battle he wears steel armor and an orcish shield and carries a Dwemer mace named Ncharcasti. Out of battle he first wears a dark shirt, black pants, and cowhide shoes. Later when he gets money he upgrades to a burgandy linen outfit. As his name implies, Chance is a gambler, and will bet on nearly anything. He also has a very high Luck attribute, although things do not always go his way.

Being from Sentinel originally, Chance's family were Lhotunic (progressive followers of King Lhotun - http://www.imperial-library.info/content/p...gada-hammerfell ). His father Destri was a warrior in the King's service. Basically just a grunt. He was stationed in Dak'Fron, which is on Sentinel's border, at the edge of the Alik'r Desert. Ayaan-si, High Prophet of Elinhir, had called upon the True Crowns of the north to rebel against Lhotun, and financed a number of forays against the borders in Bergama and Dak'fron. He also stirred up dissent in Dak'Fron itself, resulting in a group of protesters haranguing a lone Redguard warrior guarding a supply depot in the evening. A Lhotonic officer saw what was happening, and took more men to reinforce the lone soldier. Destri was one of them. Things turned ugly, and the crowd began throwing stones. No one is sure who struck first, but in the end the protestors were massacred, with thriteen dead and twice that seriously wounded.

Afterward the city was on the verge of exploding into rebellion, and it was called the Dak'Fron Massacre. To keep the peace, King Lhotun ordered a scapegoat. Destri, unliked by his captain, was picked. He was summarily tried and convicted of murder and inciting a riot, and was scheduled for public execution in Dak'Fron. However, his old compatriots did not like what was happening, and broke him out of the prison the night before his execution. He only had time to give one a quick word to pass along to his family. Then he fled into the desert, taking with him his Dwemer mace - Ncharcasti - which had been a family heirloom since the days of Cyrus.

He knows no spells at the beginning of the story, as as a Redguard he resists disease and poison at 75%. He also has the adrenaline rush power that he can use once per day to fortify his strength, speed, endurance, and agility by 50 points each. He was born on the 4th of Last Seed (August), making his birthsign The Warrior.

Chance is popular with women, and has even been known to date two of them on the same night, at the same time. However, he keeps going back to one girl, Eutropia, who is a chambermaid in the castle. He will never admit that he loves her though.

Ancodil
Ancodil is a 19 year old male orc at the Bravil FG. He was born on the 18th of Sun's Dusk (November) 3E414. Unlike other orcs, he was raised by two Altmer, Eilonwy and Orintur of the Cheydinhal Mages Guild. As an infant he was found on the doorstep of the Cheydinhal Chapel one day, Eilonwy and Orintur took him in and raised him as their own child. As such he has been given an exceedingly good education, and is a refined gentleman through and through. He greatly enjoys poetry, plays, music, and dancing. He is even learning to play the lute (although not especially good at the beginning). He has absolutely no talent for the use of magic however, much to the disappointment of his parents. He did learn he has a talent for something however. Crushing things. At over 6'6'' tall and a mountain of muscle, he carries a Warhammer of Rending (Elven Warhammer- disentegrate armor) that is named Persuader ("Lambercuru" in elvish). and a Stalwart Cuirass (Dwemer Cuirass- Fortify Endurance), plus a regular Dwemer boots, greaves, and gauntlets. Out of combat he commonly wears a blue silk outfit.

He knows no spells and has never been able to successfully cast one, in spite of having spent a semester at the Arcane University. He flunked out. He was a disaster at all forms of spellcasting, and his attempts at alchemy left a horrific odor in the classroom. As an Orc he has a resistance to magic at 25%, and he was also born under the Atronach birthsign, giving him a 50% spell absorption as well.

He owns a horse, a gelding named Glacier. He is a blue roan Bruma Quarter Horse. To help him carry his weight, Ancondil has a saddle enchanted with a Expert level Feather (400 lbs) completely negating his weight.

Valerius Nasica
Valerius is an Imperial male in his mid twenties. He was born on October (Frostfall) the 8th. He has short black hair and black eyes. Valerius is a patrician, his family living in a manor in the Talos Plaza district. As such Valerius himself is a knight, and served at Bruma. After the battle Claudia Vinicianus developed a crush on him. Another patrician whose family was a friend of his own, she was sixteen and convinced she was in love. She tried to run away with him, but he would have no part of it. However, her older brother (and guardian) Flaminius learned they were together and tracked them down. He found the two together and assumed the worst. Valerius took full responsibility, and insisted that he had tried and failed to seduce Claudia in order to protect her honor. Flaminius called him out to a duel, and Valerius refused. Valerius was branded a coward, and blacklisted from high society. Afterward he became a mercenary to make ends meet.

Born under the sign of the Tower, he has natural-inborn armor the equal of leather. In combat he wears a full suit of glass armor, and carries a glass arming sword and shield. He also owns a Friesian gelding named Fidelis "Faithful".

Morghak gra-Durug
Morghak is a 18 year old female orc. She was born on the 17th of Midyear (June) 3E315. She stands six and a half feet tall, and is bound in muscle. Her long, light brown hair is tied back from her head in a braid, and she has the yellow eyes of all orcs. She wears a necklace with a golden eagle pendant (the symbol of Trinimac). In combat, she wears a full suit of Orcish armor and shield. She carries a Dwemer hand axe as her primary weapon, plus two smaller throwing axes.

Morghak is from an Orcish noble family in the Wrothgarians. She grew up in the shadow of her older sister Urzoth, who was her mother's favorite. Everything that Urzoth did was always right, and everything Morghak did was always second best (at least so it seemed to her). Finally when Urzoth was made a knight in Gortwog's court, she could take no more of it. Running away from home, she made her way to Cyrodiil by chance as much as anything else. Like other orcs from Nova Orsinium, she follows the ancient elven god Trinimac (not Malacath).

There she became a gladiator in the Arena, rising to become one of the top seeds. It was there that she met Agronak gro-Malog, and the two fell in love. He entrusted her with finding the proof of his noble birth in the ancient castle of Crowhaven. Instead she discovered an Imperial who was a vampire, and killed him. She discovered a journal in the Lord of the castle's bedroom, and took it back with her, hoping it might have some clues to Agronak's birth. It explained more than she had bargained for. The vampire had been Lord Lovidicus, the master of the castle, and Agronak's father. Morghak did not know what to do, and went to Ysabel for advice, telling her everything and showing her the journal. Ysabel advised her to destroy it, and never say a word. Morghak agreed, and told Agronak that she found nothing in the old castle. However, a Redguard gladiator named Sulesa was eavesdropping on the converation with Ysabel. She stole the journal while Morghak slept, and gave it to Agronak. Afterward he became despondant and suicidal, and Sulesa challenged him for the championship. They fought on Frostfall (October) the 23rd. Agronak did not put up a fight, and let her kill him in the Arena, making Sulesa the new champion. Morghak immediately challenged her to a duel.

They fought on 30th of Frostfall (October) during the Emperor's Birthday celebration. Morghak won, and killed Sulesa with a combination of blows that first disarmed her, then delivered the coup de grace immediately afterward. This gave her the nickname 'Avenger'. It also created a controversy that the fight should have stopped before she killed Sulesa.

Afterward, Morghak was directionless. She had never mourned Agronak, as she had been too consumed by revenge. But killing Sulesa gave her no sense of catharsis. She only felt empty and numb. She quit the Arena the next day. The Arena managment decided not to investigate her killing of Sulesa, as they felt it would be bad for the business. Not knowing what to do with her life, and quickly becoming frustrated and overwhelmed by her fans in the Imperial City, she got on the first ship in the Waterfront. It turned out to be a packet bound for Bravil. She arrived a day later (4th Sun's Dusk - November), and went to the Fighters Guild looking for work.

As an Orc she has a resistance to magic at 25%. Also since she was born under the sign of the Steed, she has increased speed, endurance, health, and athletics.

This post has been edited by SubRosa: Jul 16 2012, 01:36 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
haute ecole rider
post Jul 29 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #37

Master
Group Icon

So Pappy was in Julian's Legion in Skyrim! No wonder she knew of his Grass Crown when she spoke to him at Bruma!

My Demon Spawn of Satan kitty cat (ironically named Trinity after the Holy Three) adored that last joke of Vincent's: What do you get if you cross a troll with a cat? A town that is free of dogs. His response was "Hell, YEAH!"

Grits, what a good idea to list all of the characters in Jerric's story as a separate post so it's there for quick reference. I haven't needed to do it so much for OHDH, but I might need to do so for my next one (which is about half-done and shaping up nicely, if I may say so).

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Sep 16 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #38

Councilor
Group Icon

I'm not sure if this little episode belongs on this thread, but it's definitely a stand-alone piece that doesn't fit anywhere else!

The inspiration for this bit of silliness was that I was testing some of the Devilish and Divine mod. That borrows a lot from Vilja in features, and a major one is the companion commentary on events. As part of that, there's a complex script involving an invisible headless dead sheep and a lot of checks on the current cell, active quests etc. Mine gets even more complicated than Vilja's because there are two companions, and sometimes they talk to each other, and sometimes to the player.

Anyhow, instead of them saying "Help, my script is broken" or something sensible as a default, they say ...

-----------

"My hovercraft is full of eels," said Diablita

We were all preparing to swim back across to the island with the strange door to the Shivering Isles, so it seemed a totally appropriate thing for one of them to say.

I mean, we've met that Tove the Unrestful in New Sheoth, and "Hovercraft" describes what he's trying to make pretty well, but what in Oblivion are "Eels"? OK, it was Diablita that said it, and we still haven't worked out where her race originates, so maybe it's part of the folk-lore that her mother passed down. Judging by Tove's description of how his boat will work, I guess it/they must be some kind of caliper. Is it a pair of eels, like you have a pair of calipers, even though there's only one? Can you click them together, and go places?

It still didn't make a lot of sense, but I think that the Shivering Isles are beginning to affect the sisters. Some of the things they've been saying have been a bit wistful, and perhaps she was thinking of poor Tove when she said that. If we did have a boat like he's trying to make, we wouldn't have had to swim. Mind you, a regular boat would have been enough, without it flying, too.

What was it Tove said when we met him?

Sorry. I keep forgetting that most people don't remember when we'll meet in the future. Wait, this is yesterday's future. I'm the one that's confused. Anyway, you're going to help me find calipers and tongs. No point in denying it. You've already agreed tomorrow

Diablita acted like she understood what he meant. Maybe she did, and she was talking about the time when Tove had succeeded and she had one of his contraptions. Which would be in the future, and she'd be remembering that.

Maybe there are eels inthe future. We'll ask Sontaire about it when we get there. She seems to get along with Diablita quite well, although she just hates Angeline, for some reason. I'd rather ask her than Tove. Talking to him leaves me with a headache. And she sees Tove every day, so maybe she can interpret for us.

Of course, Sontaire's got her strange side, too. Just about everyone in Bliss does. It's just that hers makes sense, even if she does take it a bit too far. Silanu would understand her perfectly, if she was making a business out of it, but I guess it's just a hobby for her. Anyway, if anyone knows what eels are, I'm sure it's Sontaire!

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
+Quote Post
Grits
post Sep 16 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #39

Councilor
Group Icon

rollinglaugh.gif If she said her hovercraft was full of eels immediately after the swim, I’d really be worried! Water-walking rings for everyone! tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
King Coin
post Sep 21 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #40

Master
Group Icon

Love the nonsense dialog. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:01 PM