Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kothet's Story, A dremora in Skyrim, and his housecarl.
ghastley
post Jul 18 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

Kothet was a (dead) character in the Gweden Brothel mod. He was the Dremora Valkynaz who owned Prizna, before she killed him and escaped. I resurrected him to be the test character for the Dremora Hearthfires mod for Skyrim, and he hung around a bit longer than expected.

Since a Dremora in Skyrim normally only wears a special version of Daedric armour (with reduced stats) he can't use most regular armour, so his story reflects that limitation, and the gear he does use is the same as the houscarl can use in my mod, which was of course added to the game as wearable by a Dremora.

The housecarl's combat style and equipment are set by the mod to complement the abilities of the player character, so a mage, defined as a player who has higher magicka than health or stamina, wil get an archer housecarl. An archer ( a non-mage with Marksman skill above one- or two-handed) gets a melee housecarl, and others get a mage. Kothet's preference is two-handed, although he starts off using a one-handed weapon with a spell in the other. The spell-book offers three choices of housecarl - male, regular female, and sexy female. The last of those wears skimpier outfits, and has the sultry voice rather than the commander voice.

Kothet's story is already well under way, and I'll start to post more episodes here once I finish posting Clark's. There's a link at the top for those who've forgotten about Prizna's interview with Clark. I linked to the copy here, not the one on my site with the nude picture of her.

-----------------------

1 - Helgen

I can understand the Stormcloaks deciding to hide in my cave. The entrance is well-concealed, which is why I chose it. And it stays that way, if I'm careful how I enter, and don't leave obvious footprints outside.

I can understand how the pursuing Imperials found them, too. What I can't understand is why the Imperials think I'm one of them. Seriously, how many Stormcloaks have horns?

I'm not talking about helmets here. My horns are on my head, just like any of the Kyn. But we are few in Tamriel, so maybe they've never seen a Dremora before.

Whatever they were thinking, we all ended up on the same cart headed for Helgen. I presume I was vocal about the Imperials' incompetence in including me, because I don't remember much about the journey, just waking with a sore head as we approached the town. By that time, I'd given up trying to make our captors actually think. They were military, which would generally mean that thinking was for officers only.

---

I know this because once, I was an officer. In Mehrunes Dagon's forces, I led the attack that took Ganonah, the city the locals call Kvatch. Which is why I got the blame when it was taken back, even though I wasn't there at the time. I was the officer, so I should have forseen the possibility, and not left the place under the command of a subordinate . Even though Dagon himself had sent me elsewhere, on an assignment beneath my station.

To make matters worse, the woman I'd been given as a reward for my success at Ganonah had turned on me. Admittedly, I'd probably been unfair in the way I treated her. Anger at Dagon can't be directed towards him, and she probably got the worst of my frustration. I was on guard duty - me, a Valkynaz, on guard duty! - inside the gate we'd opened near Bravil. That's where she killed me. A mere woman struck me down, with shock spells to weaken me, and a final blow from a mace! I was so proud of the way she did it, but of course, unable to tell her until I was restored.

And then, equally, I was in no position to do so, because I was somewhere else in Tamriel. I have no idea how long I was in the heatless flames of Oblivion waiting for restoration, but I expected to be restored in the Deadlands, in familiar territory. Clearly I'd lost even more of Dagon's regard by being slain by my own woman, and he'd sent me to guard another gate, this time from the outside.

I'd only been there a few hours, when the fire in the gate suddenly ceased, meaning the gate was closed, and I was stuck in the mortal world until Dagon decided to recall me. Given his recent actions, I did not imagine that happening soon.

---

Two centuries later, I'm still here. Each time I die, I'm restored to Tamriel, not the Deadlands. So stripping off my armour and wrestling a bear wasn't as much use as I thought it would be. It just lost me some useful equipment, and I had to replace it with lesser things that mortals had made. Since then, I've learned to make my own.

When these Imperial clowns have finished with me, I'll need to make some more, as they took everything when they put us on the carts. Since I'd just crawled out of my bedroll when the Stormcloaks arrived, I wasn't even wearing my armour, and they gave me some crude sack-cloth things to cover myself.

I can see Helgen gates now, so it looks like we'll be there in a few minutes. Hopefully there will be a competent officer in charge, and I'll be released.

---

The horse-thief the soldiers had rounded up with us didn't have any confidence in officers, and tried to run as soon as we got off the carts. He died in a volley of arrows.

There was a legionary calling the roll of prisoners, and lining us up for the General. I'd heard of this Tullius, and he seemed like a man who could think. I was confident that their mistake would soon be rectified.

Obviously, my name wasn't on their list. They didn't even know it yet, because I hadn't told them. The unthinking grunts hadn't asked; it wasn't their job. The legionary asked his commander, a woman, what he should do. This was as it should be, pass the decision-making up the chain, and do not take responsibility on yourself. I expected her in turn to ask Tullius, but she decided that she didn't need to bother him with this level of decision, and arbitrarily condemned me to join the others in line for the block.

Part of me admired her confidence in her own decisions, but most of me just wanted to kill her. I stared at the Captain, learning her features so I would know her if we met again. No, when we met again. Even if I had to return from the dead to kill her, and of course I would do so.

I was the second to the block. It had me thinking that I might even be returned before all the executions were complete, and how beautiful would be the justice if I could place her head on this very block in my next life. But then the dragon came, and everything was confusion.

---

I found myself running into a tower with one of the Stormcloaks. My hands were still bound, and he had nothing to cut the ropes. How he'd got his own free, I wasn't sure. We went looking for weapons, and eventually found some. With my hands loose, and an axe in one of them, I could determine my own fate.

And fate led my nemesis to me. The same Captain led a small group of Imperials into the chamber, and my Stormcloak allies helped me deliver justice. I took her armour, adjusted the straps to suit my very different shape, and put it on. Her ample chest meant that she wore a size large enough to protect a male, but it wasn't quite the right shape. I discarded the top half, even though it was plate that might have melted down. There was no smelter or forge here.

Ralof laughed when I tried it on. "We'll no doubt find you some more as we go further in," he predicted. "Probably not plate, but the regular Imperial armour isn't too bad. Of course, I can understand you not wanting to be mistaken for one of them. Especially not for a woman!"

I felt the thought he hadn't expressed. The hope that I wouldn't get the chance to take any Stormcloak amour. He didn't want to find any fallen comrades on our way out.

---

Some did fall, but they were crushed by the collapse of part of the buildings just after we passed, and out of our reach. I managed to add a basic long bow and some iron arrows, from an Imperial archer, but didn't bother to trade any armour. His covered more, but was thinner. We both picked up some potions, lockpicks and minor items as we passed through the cave beyond the dungeons. Some of those arrows went into fighting spiders and a bear.

Ralof and I parted company at the exit to the cave. He was going to head for another small town called Riverwood, where his sister lived. I was more inclined to try and head back towards my cave. I'd survived well enough in Tamriel by keeping away from the people, so going into town wasn't my first choice.

But I wasn't familiar with this part of Skyrim, so I ended up finding myself in the same town I was trying to avoid. It seemed that all the trails on this side of Helgen lead to the same place.

---

I went into the general store, hoping to trade some of the Imperial military junk I'd picked up for something a bit less tied to one side of the Civil War. I walked into the middle of an argument betwen the shopkeeper and his sister about something that had been stolen. Since he didn't seem to want to discuss trade until that subject was dealt with, I found myself agreeing to look for the missing item. I really had no intention of going to look for it, but his description intrigued me. It seemed to resemble a Clannfear Claw, something I hadn't seen for decades. I wondered if it actually was one that had been gilded as a trophy.

I got a decent trade for my goods, so apparently my agreement had put him in a good mood. His sister pointed out Bleak Falls Barrow on the hills at the other side of the valley as the likely place it had been taken. The map I'd bought put it on one of the trails that crossed the hills towards Whiterun, and I had to pass near that city to get back to the Rift and my cave. It was a bit longer that way, but why not take a look?

I suppose I was also looking forward to the prospect of some combat. There would be bandits this way, the ones that had stolen the claw at least, and the other route was a well-used road that would be relatively boring. I headed for the hills.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jul 18 2016, 06:07 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 20 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

Welcome to Kothet! What an interesting background he has.

I’m enjoying his unique perspective on things, and you’re doing a great job of giving him a personality that makes us want to read more. I love the tutorial at Helgen and never tire of reading how others experience it. I was greatly pleased to see Kothet cut down everyone’s favorite Legion Captain.

I’m also glad he ended up in Riverwood after all.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Jul 22 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #3

Mouth
Group Icon

Now this promises to be an interesting take on things. I look forward to reading more.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 26 2016, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Ancient
Group Icon

Wait, so if I take something like the "Naughty Nightie" (but a TES version of it) and make it "wearable by Dremora;" I could see a Dremora in a girl's sexy nightie? Where do I sign in? laugh.gif

And I refreshed myself on Prizna and was suddenly reminded how it came about that the keyboard on my laptop became broken in the first place = YOU and CLARK !!! rollinglaugh.gif

But more than that; I was so touched to once again see the early Clark; when he was the innocent and easily embarrassed reporter taking notes on the girl's stories as they entered the Brothel. He has remained on top with some of my most favorite characters of other people; along with Buffy; Teresa; Jerric and Darnand; etc.

It is really going to be sad for me when you stop writing him.

Anger at Dagon can't be directed towards him

BWAAHAA!!!

Oh, I knew your Dremora was going to have more personality than any other in existance, lol. Like Slof's Dremora? I guess we will see!!!!

I am catching up on Gweden. I tried following that link; and it listed the chapters but didn't have links to them that I could find.

I'll check it out again when I figure out which chapter I left off on.

Awesome Write, but I knew it would be going in! I always expect a fun ride when you are writing!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Jul 28 2016, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Master
Group Icon

You know it isn't everday we hear about a Dremora's time in Tamriel. I look forward to seeing more of Kothet in Skyrim. Fascinating that he was involved in Kvatch(or should I say Ganonah?), but that's to be expected knowing Dremora are immortal, in a sense.

I haven't gotten to read your other stories fully, shame on me, I know but I'll get to that eventually biggrin.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 29 2016, 03:29 AM
Post #6

Councilor
Group Icon

Oh this is great, I love to see Skyrim from different perspectives. Kothet’s take on the familiar Helgen events make them fresh again. I never get tired of seeing that Imperial Captain meet Gunjar’s axe, a jet of flames, or both! Yay for bare-chested dremoras. biggrin.gif I’m looking forward to Kothet’s story!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 8 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #7

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian: The Captain opportunity is why I decided to send him out with Ralof. He needed the bottom half of her uniform, in case I wanted screenshots. tongue.gif

hazmick: This will be heavily driven by the mod, but should have its own slant.

mALX: I had considered using my Greek goddess outfit in this, but couldn't find a justification for it. biggrin.gif

DE: Kvatch/Ganonah, and in my game, Bravil, too.

Grits: And if he'd been a woman, he wouldn't be bare-chested. That's not like me.

--------------

Previously Kothet's cave was invaded by Stormcloaks seeking a hideaway, and he got swept up by a Legion round-up that grabbed Jarl Ulfric. Despite just wanting to return home, he found himself in Riverwood.

--------------

2 -Bleak Falls Barrow

Even before I reached the barrow itself, I'd slain a wolf on the path, and three bandits in a tower a little further up. That archer should have learned to make her first shot count. Instead, it just alerted me to their presence when it hit the rocks by my head. They only had furs, and crude iron, nothing much worth taking, apart from the arrows and lockpicks that are always useful, especially as they weigh so little. There was a bit of gold in a chest there, but not enough to make me rush back to town and spend it.

I saw the bandits at the ruin before they saw me, so the archers didn't get a chance to shoot and miss. The third bandit, the one with the iron warhammer, took a second hit to dispatch, and I considered taking his weapon. But I'd damaged the shaft, and it wasn't significantly more damaging than my steel mace. I liked having one hand free for spells, too. I'd found a spell tome in Helgen that had taught me Sparks, or rather, reminded me of a spell I'd forgotten, and a style of fighting I hadn't used for nearly as long.

Now if it had been at least a steel warhammer, things might have been different. That's a proper strong man's weapon. It gets respect when an opponent just sees it on your back. A Daedric one would be even better, but when did I last see one of those?

---

The bandits inside didn't have one, that was certain. It appeared that one of them had been killed by skeevers, as his body still lay among theirs near the door. The two that were alive (briefly) had only fur armour, and iron weapons.

None of these, of course, had the claw I was looking for. That bandit must be further in, and I assumed he'd be the leader of the group, and better-equipped.

---

Apart from one bandit, who set off a dart trap and died for his stupidity, I saw nothing but skeevers on my way further in. But then I heard someone calling for help around the next corner. This pathetic weakling couldn't be the one I was looking for, the one who'd taken the claw, but he was at least alerting me to whatever danger was threatening him. That turned out to be a giant spider, and the caller was trapped in a silken shroud behind it.

When I cut him down, he ran off before I could demand his assistance in finding the claw. He was round the corner before I could pull out my bow, or he'd have paid for his ingratitude there and then.

He paid only a few moments later, as he ran into a number of draugr, and a spiked gate, on which I found him impaled. The draugr were useful practice, but carried little of use. Their weapons were old, and brittle, and that was about all they had.

I searched the cowardly bandit, expecting to find just as little, and was surprised that he had the claw. Not only that, but his journal suggested it had a purpose other than mere decoration, and that it was connected to something valuable deeper in the tomb.

It wasn't the Clannfear Claw I'd suspected, but a cast metal item with a set of symbols in the palm. The wrist end was bent up in a curious fashion that made it look like a handle to turn something. Perhaps it would make sense later.

---

I encountered more of the draugr in the passages of this labyrinth. The tomb seemed to have been built as a winding tunnel into the mountain. Presumably it followed weakness in the rock, because otherwise the twists and turns made little sense. Sometimes it had walls covered in dressed stone, and at other points it was bare rock. Perhaps they'd joined up some caves to make it into a tomb?

Eventually, however, I found myself in a long hallway, with a large metal door at the end. There were three rings bearing symbols that looked like the ones I'd noted on the claw. I took it out for another look.

Yes, the symbols were the same. There was clearly a right way up, as they were pictograms of animals and birds. The order of the symbols on the door was different, however.

I discovered that the rings moved, and revealed other symbols. Turning each one in turn got me the same arrangement as I saw on the claw. And in the centre was a disc with small holes that looked like the claw would fit into them.

Now it made sense why the claw had a handle. I fitted the claw into to the disc, and used the handle to turn it. The door started to slide down, and I removed the claw.

Beyond the door was a large cave with a stream running through it. On the other side of the stream was a platform, and beyond that, a wall covered in strange lettering, an inscription in a language I didn't know.

One of the groups of symbols, presumably a word of this language, glowed as I approached.

There was magic at work here. The glowing of the word had obviously been triggered by my approach, and I wondered what else was to come. I could hear chanting, although there was nobody else there, and it didn't seem to come from anywhere in particular. Maybe it was being produced inside my head by the same magic. And I could hear the word, even though I couldn't understand its meaning. This stone wall was trying to tell me something, and I didn't know what it was.

Perhaps it was just trying to tell me to look behind me. I heard a breaking sound and turned to see the stone lid coming off a coffin on the platform. A horned helmet popped up, and an armoured draugr climbed out of the coffin. He held a large two-handed sword, and intended to use it on me.

At last, a worthy opponent! And one with a trick I wasn't expecting. He shouted at me, and magic pushed me back. So my first blow missed him, and he tried to take the initiative with a swing of his own.

But I'd recovered by then, and blocked it easily. His weapon was slower than mine, and I pressed that advantage to make up for my relative lack of armour. He staggered, and I knew I had him. With a roar of triumph, I shattered his dry bones with my mace.

There was a chest beside the coffin he'd emerged from, and it contained a decent amount of gold and other items. No weapons I'd use, but his own greatsword had an enchantment of frost on it, and I knew there was a way to learn that enchantment. I took that with me also. His helmet and armour appeared to have become fused to his remains, and couldn't be removed. The only other thing he carried was a stone tablet, with markings on it that appeared to be in the same language as the wall. I took it out of curiosity, as it didn't appear to be valuable.

There were stairs next to the wall that appeared to lead nowhere, but a handle at the top revealed a door in the wall when it was turned. It lead out to a small cave, with another chest, and an exit to the side of the mountain. I looked out over the same river that flowed through Riverwood, but quite a bit further upstream.

That meant I'd have to go back through the town, so I decided to return the claw, or key, or whatever it was, to the shopkeeper. I'd probably get more for it from him, than any merchant in Whiterun. Then I'd go there, and try to find out if the stone tablet meant anything, or this foreign word I had stuck in my head.

And I'd like to sell some of the things I found and buy some armour, and maybe a better weapon.

---

The shopkeeper was happy to get the claw back, but seemed completely uninterested in what it really was. It was just important to his family to have it back, a peculiarly mortal consideration, if you ask me.

His sister was also grateful, but didn't offer to reward me in the way I'd have liked, so I left the shop and headed for the city. I considered checking the smith, to see if he had anything worth trading for, but all I could see near his forge were iron, and steel. Nothing better than I already had.

So I kept most of the items I'd found for trading in Whiterun. Ralof had mentioned that there were better smiths there than anywhere in Skyrim.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Mar 23 2017, 07:05 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 8 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #8

Paladin
Group Icon

A nice retelling of the Bleak Falls Barrow interconnected pair of quests. I like how Kothet more 'remembers' the magic he finds in a spell book rather than learning a new spell.

Off to Whiterun with that curious tablet. When he gets there, perhaps the general trader will be more willing to sell his sister than the Riverwood trader was. wink.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Aug 8 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #9

Master
Group Icon

When Kothet mentioned looting the bandit I imagined at once his Daedric weapon. No Dremora is complete without his deadly gear! After some bandit-hunting he finds a claw, one with value that may bring gold . . . to buy a better weapon. Something we both agree on. laugh.gif

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 15 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian: Yes, one problem with an immortal character is explaining why he starts from scratch. In Kothet's case, he's been living as a subsistence hunter, and forgotten it all.

Belethor can make the offer more easily, as he doesn't have one to object.

DE: Kothet lost his Dremora equipment (which is rated well below Daedric) when he decided to wrestle a bear in the hope of being resurrected in the Deadlands. He'll eventually decide he has to make his own, which will be better than the mass-produced uniform stuff. He gets the chance to make Dremora-specific items at Steel and Advanced levels, on the way.

-----------

Previously: Kothet had taken the route through Bleak Falls Barrow as the less boring one, and found more than he expected. He's headed to Whiterun for better equipment.

-----------

3 -Whiterun

The guards at the gate were keeping strangers out, but changed their minds when I mentioned the dragon at Helgen. "The Jarl will want to hear of this. You'd better go in, and seek him out up at Dragonsreach, at the top of the hill."

Since that was why they let me in, the only honourable course of action was to go and report to the Jarl first. I could trade afterward. Perhaps he'd direct me to the better smiths, too.

The Jarl took my report of the Dragon incident at Helgen, and directed his housecarl to send troops to secure Riverwood, in case it attacked there. He had a further task for me, as his court wizard was investigating the stories of dragons that had begun to circulate, and I had some actual facts to report.

Farengar had information that there was a map of dragon burial sites inscribed on a stone tablet, and he'd like to obtain it and compare it to modern maps. It was said to be held in Bleak Falls Barrow, and he'd like someone to go and fetch it, if it was indeed there.

"This tablet?" I asked, handing him the one I'd found.

"You found it already! This is the Dragonstone! You're cut from a different cloth than the usual fools the Jarl sends to me."

Some people have a knack for stating the obvious, and I didn't react. Even if I'd wanted to, Irileth, the Jarl's housecarl, had come running over to summon both of us back to the Jarl. Apparently, another dragon had appeared, near the watchtower.

The Jarl wanted us, well, Irileth and myself anyway, to go and investigate the dragon, and kill it or drive it away if we could. I was the only one who had experience of dragons, as I'd at least met the one at Helgen.

"Take as many men as you need," he told her. "I'd rather it was dealt with away from the city."

He turned to me and handed me a pair of good elven boots. "This is for finding that stone for Farengar," he told me. "And I wish you luck with the dragon."

The Kyn do not rely on luck, but the sentiment was well-meant. I left with Irileth, and we picked up a number of guardsmen to join us. I went to the smith by the gate to trade for equipment while she briefed the troops on our mission.

Adrianne Avenici didn't have any armour that fit me, but she did have an Orcish mace, and an Elven bow, that were better than the ones I had. I bought some Elven arrows to go with the bow. The greatsword I'd taken from the draugr wasn't worth much, so I kept it, planning to learn its enchantment later.

I was eager to match myself against a dragon. That was a foe I'd never encountered in battle. The one at Helgen had arrived while my hands were bound, and had gone before I had a chance to look for it. But it had clearly managed to destroy much of the town, and hold its own against all the people there. I don't know whether the Imperials and Stormcloaks were able to unite against it, or whether they continued the idiotic squabble between them even while it breathed flames on both sides. I do know that it flew off afterward, as we saw it leave as we came out of the cave. It didn't appear to be fleeing, just moving on to whatever it planned next.

This could be the same dragon, or another. We wouldn't know until we got to the watchtower. If it was the same one, I wasn't certain if I thought of it as an ally, rather than an enemy. It had secured my release, and prevented the inconvenience of my execution, but that probably wasn't anything more than coincidence.

It wasn't the same one. The first had been larger, and black. This was more grey, and a bit smaller. It did share the same habit of breathing flames over everyone, and of course it was flying around out of the reach of anything but arrows.

And spells, I was quickly reminded. Irileth carried no shield, and that was because her left hand was for casting lightning. I had a shorter-range spell, with less power, so I used my bow instead. The greater pull and heavier arrows I used made mine more effective than the ones the guards were using, and it wasn't long before the dragon knew that. He swooped down and landed near me, intending to concentrate his fiery breath on his strongest opponent.

But in landing, he'd enabled us to use other weapons. The guards all switched to axes and hammers, and I to my mace. Irileth was now using her sword as well as the lightning spell, and had become twice as dangerous to the dragon. He wheeled towards her, and gave me an opening.

"Dovahkiin, No!" I heard him cry as he collapsed.

"What's happening? Everyone get back!" Irileth ordered.

The dragon was beginning to disintegrate. Its flesh appeared to be burning away like dead leaves, leaving only a skeleton. And a swirl of magic was encircling the dead dragon and myself. I heard again the word that had entered my head when I approached the wall in Bleak Falls Barrow, but this time it had a meaning - Force! This was what that draugr had shouted at me to push me back, but somehow it felt stronger, as if I knew the word better than he had, if that makes any sense.

I had a duty to report this back to the Jarl. After taking everything we could from the dragon's remains, Irileth and I set off back to Whiterun. She left the remaining guardsmen there to hold the ruins, in case any more dragons showed up.

---

As we approached the gates a loud rumbling that sounded like a mixture of thunder and several voices shouting in unison hit us. It seemed to be saying "Dovahkiin" - the same word the dragon had spoken before it died.

I mentioned that to the Jarl, and he seemed to know what it meant. "We translate it as Dragonborn," he told me. "and he obviously meant you."

"But I am Kynaz - Dremora - so I was never born. How can that make sense?"

"The dragons are equally immortal," he told me. "The one you killed can be raised again, and will need to be killed again. The word means that you are like a dragon, but not one. A relative, perhaps. There were mortal dragonborn before you, including Tiber Septim, who is now Talos, and has become immortal after being born mortal."

"The second time you heard the name, it was the Greybeards calling. They are summoning you to High Hrothgar, and you should go there, and find out what they want of you."

The Jarl's Steward, Proventus Avenici, found it unlikely that any of this could be true, but the Nords all agreed with the Jarl. This was well known in Nord tradition, even if the Imperials from Cyrodill hadn't heard about it.

---

I left the Palace with another gift from Jarl Balgruuf, this time an enchanted axe. He told me it would be my badge of office, as I was now a Thane of the city. And I had a housecarl, and the right to purchase property in the hold. The housecarl was a woman called Lydia, and although she appeared reasonably armoured, and swore that she'd defend me and my property, I left her behind as I walked out of the city gates.

The path up the mountain to High Hrothgar began on the far side, in the town of Ivarstead, in the Rift. Since I was going in that direction anyway, I didn't have to make up my mind whether to make the climb until I got to that side of the mountain. I crossed the White River and headed East.

A bunch of bandits had taken over a pair of towers and a bridge by the road, and were extracting a "toll" for people to pass. I refused the toll-taker's demands, and suggested that my payment would be leaving them alive. She declined that offer and swung an axe at me. An arrow from the tower above hit the road where I'd just been standing, as I dodged out of the way and took up my mace.

With the first bandit lying dead in the road, I entered the tower to go look for the archer. There was nobody in the lower level of the tower, but more bandits were crossing the bridge as I climbed the stairs inside.

After dispatching the archer, I went back down to confront the bandits from the other tower.

I arrived at the door at the same time as the first of them, and stayed just inside, out of the range of the archers on the bridge, until he was beaten down. He was a bit more effort than the first two, as he had better armour, and a shield. I took the shield, and used it to stop the arrows as I chased the others back over the bridge.

After I'd killed the last archer, I searched the far tower, and found a few items of interest. There was a book that taught me a little more about archery, always a useful skill, and a couple of enchanted weapons. Although they were only made of iron, the enchantments could be useful.

A few potions and a little gold were the only other items I could find. It seems their toll scheme hadn't been all that lucrative.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 16 2016, 04:56 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 15 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #11

Paladin
Group Icon

Wow, Kothet is not half-stepping it regarding the Main Quest.

I loved that part of him considered the Helgen dragon an ally for securing his release. I’ve always felt that way too.

Stupid bandits. I like how Kothet pointed out that their enterprise did not seem to be prospering even before he put a mace into the works.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Aug 16 2016, 12:42 AM
Post #12

Mouth
Group Icon

I always feel sorry for that first dragon. He's been minding his own business for hundreds of years and then the first time he shows himself a Dragonborn pops up and devours his soul. tongue.gif

Looking forward to learning more about Dremora Dragonborn.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 16 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #13

Councilor
Group Icon

This is fun to read. You make playing a dremora very seamless, and natural.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 21 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #14

Ancient
Group Icon

2 -Bleak Falls Barrow - Wow, this is a totally different write coming from you than I am used to! Excellent write, most especially the first paragraph - that was spectacular! You did an excellent job of bringing us into Kothet's mind frame in this, I def feel the difference in thinking between the mind of a Dremora and how their thinking might be different from a mans.

Kothet lacks the playfulness and fun Clark adds to every story he graces; but he is still very interesting as a character; and it is really cool how you are developing a Dremora culture and thought process here!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Aug 21 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #15

Ancient
Group Icon

3 -Whiterun

Aw, I thought the people of Whiterun would have been freaked out by seeing a Dremora coming in!

"Dovahkiin, No!" I heard him cry as he collapsed.

As we approached the gates a loud rumbling that sounded like a mixture of thunder and several voices shouting in unison hit us. It seemed to be saying "Dovahkiin" - the same word the dragon had spoken before it died.

I mentioned that to the Jarl, and he seemed to know what it meant. "We translate it as Dragonborn," he told me. "and he obviously meant you."

"But I am Kynaz - Dremora - so I was never born. How can that make sense?"

"The dragons are equally immortal," he told me. "The one you killed can be raised again, and will need to be killed again. The word means that you are like a dragon, but not one. A relative, perhaps. There were mortal dragonborn before you, including Tiber Septim, who is now Talos, and has become immortal after being born mortal."

This was the greatest thing I have ever read or heard in regards to that moment in the game! You took what was a great moment in the game and made it spectacular!!!!! I wish Bethesda had added that touch of Epic you just gave that scene here!!!!!!

Awesome Write! I've never seen you serious before, you carry it off very well !!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 22 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #16

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian: Kothet thinks in military terms. If he's attacking my enemies, he's an ally, ... for now.

hazmick: Kothet's been waiting a long time himself. And he wasn't the one who attacked a watchtower the moment he was awakened.

Renee: Don't mention seams to someone who makes outfits for Skyrim characters. tongue.gif

mALX: I'm sure Kothet can't keep a straight face for too long. And the people of Whiterun only get freaked out by curved swords. biggrin.gif

---------------

Previously: Kothet discovered that he was "dragonborn" - a term that made little sense to him. He declined Lydia's offer to accompany him, and set off for his cave in the Rift.

---------------

4 - Lost Valley

I hadn't gone much further up the road, when a courier came running up to me, and handed me a sealed letter. He left immediately, headed back towards Whiterun.

I broke open the seal and read the letter.

I knew that there were other Dremora in Tamriel, but we were few and widely scattered. We'd not made any attempt to gather, as we were held in great suspicion individually, and a group of us would immediately have been considered a threat. So it was a great surprise to discover that the letter was from the Kyn.

I read that part again. It didn't actually say that these Kyn were in Tamriel. I'd just assumed that, because I'd been given the letter by a courier here. Perhaps there was a way they could have sent it from Dagon's Deadlands. It wasn't clear.

The letter told me of a Nordic Tower, in the hills of the Reach, bordering High Rock and Hammerfell. If I'd go and fix the place up, and furnish it as a home, then I'd get a Dremora for a housecarl. Someone who'd fight alongside me for the right reasons, to command respect. And not a pale Nord woman who didn't even have her horns yet.

Wait, they don't grow horns, do they? It's not a sign of immaturity to be without any, it's just normal for them. Still, a companion of my own kind would definitely be preferable.

The Tower was back in the direction I was coming from, so did I really want to turn around and retrace my steps? My cave, and High Hrothgar, were both in the direction I was already going.

"My cave" was the home I'd known for years, but it wasn't exactly a palace. And it didn't come with a housecarl, not even a mortal one. High Hrothgar could wait, too. I turned around.

---

A dirt path led off the road toward a small stream flowing from a pond. The pond, in turn, was fed by a waterfall from a long way above. I could see stonework up at the top, but it was too far to make out any buildings. Some mudcrabs were lurking near the ford, as if they were guarding the Nirnroot that grew there. Their shells are useful for alchemy, so I harvested them, and their Nirnroot.

The path continued up some stone steps and crossed the falls between one cascade and the next. I could now see another cascade ahead, not part of this one, and it came from an artificial structure that channelled the water away from the path. Perhaps this path was the original route of the water before someone diverted it? Or maybe it just flooded too often.

I mounted another flight of steps, and still didn't see any signs that this place was inhabited. But it was bare, and rocky, with steep cliffs, so maybe everyone was up at the top. There had to be some level ground somewhere, or why build here at all?

Further up, I found evidence that someone had been here reasonably recently. There was a tripwire strung across the path, and I'm sure that would have been broken by a deer or a goat before long. Someone has to restring those, and reset the traps.

I broke it deliberately, and watched the boulders roll across the path. The noise of that should have brought the inhabitants to investigate, if they were close enough. And if not, at least it wouldn't be a danger when I came back down.

I was beginning to get impatient for combat. It would be easier to defeat whoever lived here if they came at me one or two at a time. I knew they'd be hostile, even before I encountered them, as friendly people don't set traps for their visitors. I didn't have to wait long. A man dressed in furs, and wearing the horns of a deer, came rushing at me with a couple of stone-toothed swords. He proved remarkably resilient to my mace, and took a couple of blows to subdue.

It was almost a pity to kill the woman archer who opposed me next. Her furs covered even less than the man's and she appeared to be quite shapely and fit. She'd have made an excellent slave, if only she'd yielded when I told her to do so.

Now I was climbing between walls, rather than bare rock, and there were more signs of habitation. A grindstone was next to the path, presumably down here so they could sharpen their weapons after battle without going all the way back up. On it was a man's body, dressed like one of the local Nords, rather than wearing the fur garb I'd seen on those attacking me. Perhaps he'd climbed up here before me and found himself equally unwelcome.

And I was now having to dodge arrows, fired from the walls above me. More of the sword-wielders ran down to greet me, also. No, that one had an axe in one hand, but still it's two weapons at once. I knew how to deal with that style already, and sword or axe makes little difference.

The archers again were female, one quite remarkably so. Those breasts were worthy of a Dremora, and almost burst out of her inadequate furs. She didn't wish to yield, either.

The area I'd reached, which I estimated was about half-way up, was flat and partially paved. Most of it, however, was taken up by a large rectangular pool. There were steps leading down into the water, and I could see fish swimming in it. Clearly they caught and ate the fish, as several were hanging up to dry out on a nearby rack. And there were hide tents around, so at least the fishermen must have slept down here.

Some of the walls turned out to be channels for the water from the pool, which fed the waterfalls below. Most of the others were apparently fortifications, and provided vantage points for the archers. None of them seemed to form part of any inhabited buildings, and certainly nothing that resembled the tower I was supposed to find.

The waterfall that fell into the pool appeared to come from between two stone pillars, and there was another stone structure in the middle, which was hard to make out in all the spray. It didn't look like anything anyone could live in, and from down here, I could not see how you could reach it.

Steps to the left of the pool led further up, so that's the way I went. As expected, there were more tripwires, and more opposition. And these people lived in hide tents, too. There was a forge, and other crafting equipment up here, so I'd have expected buildings, not just defensive walls.

The man that came at me next looked a little different from the ones before, and it took a moment before I saw why that was. He only had a sword in one hand, and the other was gathering flames to hurl at me. The Kyn live among flames, so that was little threat, but presumably it was the only destruction spell he knew. Or else, he'd never seen one of us before, and knew no better. Probably that, as he started to gather a frost spell when the first proved ineffective.

I didn't let him finish. Not that I fear frost, but there was no point in prolonging his life. I didn't care if he wanted to yield, after all. I noticed as I checked his corpse for loot, that he had no heart. It had been removed, and a piece of plant material put in its place. I took this briarheart, as I assumed it had magical power.

As I climbed what looked to be the last set of steps, I could see the top of the waterfall. There was a small ridge of islands dividing the river in two, connected by bridges to each other and the banks. The central bridges ended at a platform overlooking the pool below. That was the structure I'd seen from below, and I still had no idea of its purpose.

In the other direction I could hear chanting, and it didn't seem to be human voices. Or elven, for that matter, or Khajiit or Argonian. Whatever the creatures were, they had nothing to do with my reason for being here, so I crossed the bridge to continue looking for the tower.

And there was one right ahead of me, with a brazier burning at the bottom of a ramp that led up the outside. It looked like someone was already living here.

Something, I should have said. Although it might have been a human once, this looked more like a bird. One that threw fireballs, too. I ducked back out of the door and avoided the blast. It didn't get another chance, as I ran in and struck with my mace before another fireball could be readied. The claws she - yes I think that's the right word - used were nearly as bad, and I needed to heal myself after I'd finished her. I climbed up the stairs inside, and after nearly being hit by a gem trap throwing shock, reached a tiny platform at the top, where I found nothing but a bird's nest with an egg in it.

And a view of another tower, just a bit further up the mountain. This was not the tower I'd been looking for. That was. Hopefully emptier than this one.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 22 2016, 01:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 24 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Paladin
Group Icon

I enjoyed Kothet’s realization that the pale Nord women simply didn’t grow horns – even as they matured.

And off to a potential new home in the Reach. Gotta deal with the fur-busting archerettes, briardudes and Ravencrones first. His climb felt quite familiar - Lost Valley Redoubt perhaps? Even without referring to the episode's title, it seems pretty similar.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Renee
post Aug 27 2016, 04:24 AM
Post #18

Councilor
Group Icon

Nice to be in Forsworn territory. This made me want to fire up Skyrim again!

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 29 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #19

Councilor
Group Icon

Acadian: Kothet's map doesn't name it, so he didn't. I felt that Redoubt means Forsworn (or at least fortification) too clearly, and he would be expecting the opposition, instead of finding it as he went along.

Renee: It's Dremora territory now!

----------------

5 -Dremora Tower

I began to wonder, when I found a brazier and an anvil on a landing at the top of the stairs inside. But nobody, and nothing, was defending this one, so I climbed further. The ramp outside led up to a doorway into an empty room. No sign of habitation here, but there were more stairs, wooden ones this time, not like the stone ones below.

At the top of those I found a workbench, and a chest. On the workbench was a book, that confirmed I'd found the right place. It gave me some instructions on how to start rebuilding the tower, suggesting I might fix the floor first. That would take timber, and I didn't see any lying around up here. There were a few items in the chest, blocks of stone, leather strips, some clay, and a few iron ingots, but no planks or boards.

I went down again, carrying what I'd taken from the chest. It looked like I had enough material here to make a smelter, and a tanning rack, and I knew I'd need those to make more materials. Once I'd constructed those I looked around to see if there were any trees I could cut.

But it appeared I'd not need to. There was a pile of logs just beyond the smelter I'd just put up. Either I'd not noticed it on the way in, behind that rock, or they'd appeared there by magic. Stranger things do happen, so I asked no questions. Nobody here to ask, anyway.

I only had enough iron to make nails for the floor. I needed more, if I wanted to put a roof at the top, and close off a bedroom. There was a vein of ore not too far away, and one of corundum near the entrance to the other tower. So once I had a pickaxe, I could make a lock, if I needed one. I didn't see much point in making a door yet, as there was nothing of great value to lock inside. I'd be very annoyed if someone stole the anvil, but if they wanted one, they'd take it from the camp lower down, and not bother coming all the way up here. And I needed a pickaxe before I could mine the iron or corundum.

I decided to go and look for more iron, down at the forge. I hadn't noticed any ore veins as I climbed up here, but I hadn't searched all the chests, and they might have some stored away to make their weapons.

They might even have a pickaxe.

As I crossed the bridge over the river, I got the urge to try the quick way down. The waterfall was almost vertical down to the pool below, and that lookout point at the end hung out over the falls. What was the worst that could happen? If the fall killed me, it wouldn't be long before I found myself back in Skyrim, and now I knew the way here.

Perhaps it was the confident way I leaped off the planks at the end that made me land safely in the deepest part of the pool. I climbed the steps out to see a ghost in front of me, with a lute in his hands. He told me that I'd just jumped off Bard's Leap, and that he'd done so too, if not so successfully, after reciting the entire Poetic Edda at the top.

The ghost disappeared and I noticed a chest behind him. It had a lock that was hard to pick, and didn't contain any iron. I did find a minor gem, and some gold, and a potion that might be handy later.

No pickaxe, no iron, or even ore. I did discover some silver veins, not that I need silver for anything, but it's more valuable than iron, and I could trade.

It looked like I needed to go back to Whiterun, or Riverwood, and buy some iron ingots. I took anything that looked valuable from the corpses and their camp, and headed back down the path. That dead archer looked even better without her armour. Why couldn't she have yielded?

I took a wrong turning on the road back to Whiterun and ended up in somewhere called Falkreath instead. There was a merchant there, and a smith, so it turned out just as well. The merchant had the goat horns I was going to need to make lights, and glass, and straw to stuff the mattress. He told me that there was an iron mine between there and Riverwood where I'd find a pickaxe, if I didn't mind clearing out the bandits first. "Check with Valga at Dead Man's Drink first, there might be a bounty for them, too. She mentioned that the Jarl's men had brought in a flyer last time I went in for a drink. Doesn't interest me, but you might like the job."

I thanked him and did just that. There was indeed a bounty on the bandits. And Valga was good to look at, and so was the woman she had selling drinks, so it was well worth the visit. I almost wished I'd arrived later in the day, and could stay overnight to see what else they had to offer. But it was early morning, and I had some bandit-clearing and mining to do.

Embershard mine was almost all the way to Riverwood, and of course I passed a couple of iron veins on the way, without a pickaxe. It put me in a foul mood, which was much the best mood to be in before a good fight.

The bandits weren't much of a problem, and I found a pickaxe next to the first vein of ore. I didn't need to retrace my steps at all, mining as I went, and killing bandits when they heard me and came looking. They'd made a couple of ingots already, although I didn't see a smelter anywhere, and they had a forge where they could use them. Someone had left a book on making light armour on the workbench, and I learned something new from reading that.

Apart from that, there was a fair bit of their loot scattered around the place, on tables, shelves, and in chests. Nothing major, but all worth collecting. I took their better weapons and armour with me, too, and went back to Falkreath to sell it and collect the bounty, mining as I went.

There was no smelter in the town, either, but since iron ore and ingots are equally heavy, I could wait until I got home. To the tower, I meant. It wasn't a home yet, but I had all the material to make it one, so it wouldn't be long.

I still needed moonstone, and quicksilver, and gold for the crafting table, but that was going to take a grand soul gem, too, and I couldn't even afford an empty one. That would be the last thing I made.

---

It was starting to get dark when I returned, so I made the important things first. The roof, the partition to enclose the bedroom, then the bed itself. A wardrobe to stow some of the miscellaneous items in until I made a chest. I only had one corundum ingot, and the lock I made from that would be used on the main door. I made that next.

By now, it was really getting dark, so the next items to make should be lights. Half of my goat horns made a small chandelier for the entrance, and most of the rest a lamp stand on the middle floor. The last one would light my bedroom, but first I needed something to stand it on.

When I made the side tables, and put the lamp on one of them, I noticed that a book had appeared on the other. I hadn't put it there, so how did get there?

It had an Oblivion gate symbol on the cover. That usually indicated that it was a book about conjuration, and some of them taught you spells, or increased your skill. That seemed useful, so I took a look inside.

This would teach me a spell, and unusually, I had a choice. There were three spells available, each to summon a housecarl. A Dremora housecarl, who could be male or female, and there were two choices of females.

Lydia had explained what a housecarl was, someone to guard me and my property. I didn't need guarding, but this tower might. And a male would obviously do that better than a woman. Women weren't fighters, although the Nords seemed to think they were, or they wouldn't have offered Lydia. And come to think of it, my woman had proved no slouch. She hadn't even been wearing armour when she defeated me.

I shouldn't have thought about her. It probably swayed my thoughts from the rational decision I should have made, to the impulsive one I did make.

The book disappeared, and left me wondering what had just happened.

I didn't try the spell immediately. I had still had materials to make more furniture, and I wanted to complete as much as I could before I summoned her. I expected respect, but I also wanted it to be justified. Her first view of this tower would be as impressive as I could make it.

So the dining table and bookshelf were made, and weapon racks, an armour mannequin and I still had enough iron for a good quantity of nails. The platform that I constructed at the top of the tower had a commanding view over the entire valley. The strategic advantages of such a lookout position couldn't be lost on anyone, and that was where I finally summoned her.

She was almost as tall as me, and wore a simple robe wrapped around her, and tied at the waist. When she turned to face me, I wasn't disappointed with what I saw. She said nothing, unlike her Nord counterpart, who'd accosted me with a little speech about how she was sworn to serve. This woman just looked into my eyes as if I'd be able to read everything in hers.

"It's late, time for me to go to bed," I announced, not really knowing what I expected of her. When I went down the stairs towards the bedroom, she followed, but stopped outside the curtain, and didn't follow me in, as I'd hoped. She was still saying nothing.

I got into bed and waited. I'd learned the spell that promised me hope of a companion, rather than just an ally, and she certainly looked like the woman I wanted, especially the breasts that threatened to fall out of her robe. I'd managed not to stare at them too much. Just to let her know I'd noticed, and no more.

She didn't move from her position. Perhaps she was on guard there, perhaps I just didn't deserve her yet. All I'd proved so far was that I was a competent laborer, after all.

This post has been edited by ghastley: Aug 29 2016, 06:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Aug 29 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #20

Paladin
Group Icon

’Either I'd not noticed it on the way in, behind that rock, or they'd appeared there by magic. Stranger things do happen, so I asked no questions. Nobody here to ask, anyway.’
- - I like how you embrace what the game delivers rather than always try to make eminent sense out of it. I remember dear old bobg used to insist that Angel (his character) accept the world she lived in without him influencing her thinking based on his own experience and perceptions.

Bard’s leap! ohmy.gif

’That dead archer looked even better without her armour. Why couldn't she have yielded?’
- - What’s the fine for necrophilia in Skyrim? Or the Deadlands for that matter. Just askin'. tongue.gif

Nice foraging expedition to Falkreath and Embershard Mine.

Progress at the tower house is coming along well. And he has his horned housecarl now!

Nits:
- ’There was a vein of ore not to {too} far away, …’
- ’I hadn't noticed any ore veins as I cimbed {climbed} up here, …’

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:42 AM