> Anilius, An Elder Scrolls Fan-Fiction
Zalphon
post Sep 20 2017, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Knower
Group Icon

Prologue

“It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both," -Machiavelli

Anilius paced from side to side, giving periodic glances to the man prostrated before him in his dungeon, as if to make sure he was still there and had not somehow escaped. He knew this man, he was a friend and if it he had been wiser, he would not be in this position. But for all of the attributes that he could attribute to Roland, wisdom was not one of them. He was certainly strong, silver-tongued, and especially gifted with a razor-sharp wit, but he was not wise and unfortunately for him, that would be his undoing.

Roland’s awakening was hastened by the realization of his predicament as he tried to move only to realize his arms and legs were tied. That he was captive on cold, stone floor far removed from the sun or anyone who would hear his cries for help, assuming he debased himself to such an extent that he would cry for help.

“Anilius?” he asked. “Why am I here? Why’d you drug me?”

Anilius abruptly stopped as he heard him speak and turned his focus entirely to his captive.

“Roland, Roland, Roland,” he said, shaking his head as he resumed his pacing, no longer taking his eyes off of his friend. “Is it really necessary to ask questions you and I both know the answer to?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play games with me, Roland—I don’t have to make this quick.”

“Have you lost your damned mind, Anilius? We’re friends; I came here to eat with you and to enjoy your company—not to be your punching bag in some god-forsaken dungeon.”

“Friends?” he laughed at the preposterous nature of such a claim. “You call me your friend, but you steal from me?”

“Steal from you? What have I taken from you?”

“The Mines, Roland. The damned mines. I told you that I was staking them out and you went behind my back to buy them outright before they went to auction.”

“Damnit, Anilius, you know as well as I do that those mines were a steal. You blame me for doing what’s best for my people?”

The Prince stopped once more and looked down for a moment before returning his focus to Roland.

“No, Roland. I don’t blame you for doing what’s best for your people; I blame you for stealing from me.”

“I had as much right to those mines as you did, you bastard.”

“You know what happens to those who cross me, Roland. You know and you still did it,” Anilius said with a calculated tone. “I treated you like a brother and you do what? You turn around and stab me in the back. Maybe I made a mistake all those years ago.”

“If it weren’t for me, you’d be dead a dozen times over, Anilius. Do you really want to measure who owes who here?”

“Absolutely, because I intend to pay you in full for all that you’ve done.”

“By killing me?”

“By making it quick. Normally, I wouldn’t be so generous.”

“Then do it. I should’ve never gotten in the middle of you and Aristos all those years ago.”

“But you did and for that, I can never thank you enough—but I do not suffer those who would plunge a knife in my back.”

“Ani—”

Anilius cut his friend’s words short. His eyes welling as he focused on the incision across his friend’s throat. All the while, he was trying to ignore the gargled gasping for air; he would’ve enjoyed it in most cases, but not this time. Roland was somebody he cared about—somebody he would even go so far as to say he loved, but Roland made a fatal mistake. He got in the way of business.

With a tear rolling down his cheek, the Prince rose to his feet as he felt the warmth of Roland’s blood soak into his pants, but he still couldn’t avert his eyes from his friend or force himself to move. He was locked in a paralysis that seemed as though it would never end and when it did, he forced himself up the stairs and rang the bell as he climbed them.

It would be only a few minutes before one of the servants would make their way down to this sinister chamber to dispose of the body, but they would recognize this one. They were quite fond of Roland, but they knew not to utter so much as a word about him any longer, for if they did, they themselves may end up in this room.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Sep 20 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Ancient
Group Icon

WOO HOO, Z is BACK!!!! Wow, this guy is a real psycho, lol. I hope he isn't the protagonist, lol. So good to see you back on the boards again, Welcome Back!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Sep 21 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #3

Paladin
Group Icon

Great to see you back with us, Zalphon. And writing! tongue.gif

This prologue is interesting, as it raises many questions. You wisely don't reveal too much here. I also like your heavy use of dialogue to tell the story at this point.

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 21 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #4

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Sep 21 2017, 02:06 PM) *

Great to see you back with us, Zalphon. And writing! tongue.gif

This prologue is interesting, as it raises many questions. You wisely don't reveal too much here. I also like your heavy use of dialogue to tell the story at this point.

It's certainly been a while, but I am back for the time being.

Hoping to do some writing here as a way to keep the skill sharp after such a long period of letting it atrophy.

--------------------
"You have the same twenty-four hours as me; don't be mad just because you don't use yours like I do." -Tupac Shakur
+Quote Post
Renee
post Sep 23 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #5

Councilor
Group Icon

What an intriguing beginning! I'm not familiar with Anilius's tales, and so I'm curious how he and Roland wind up in this current predicament?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zalphon
post Sep 25 2017, 05:52 AM
Post #6

Knower
Group Icon

It will be made apparent throughout the course of the story, as the relationship between these two men is the cause of the story.

NOTE: This story was originally planned to be TES fan-fiction, but due to TES Lore not really--working--with what I'm trying to achieve, it will not be TES fan-fiction.

It will still be Fantasy-based however.

This post has been edited by Zalphon: Sep 25 2017, 09:14 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:19 AM