Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sheogorath's Whim
Kell-Reevor
post Mar 21 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #1

Finder
Group Icon

This MAY be my next fan-fic. Emphasis on "MAY". I know very little about sailing, and about how naval battles would be fought in this time period.

So if anybody knowledgable in these areas could PM me, I have many questions. Thanks for your help! smile.gif

And now... the prologue...

Blue skies and easy sailing... just as I remember it.

I look down at the calm waters... my memories are as abundant as the lost ships that rest peacefully at the sea floor. Though there is no land as far as the eyes can see, I still know this location.

This segment of eerily calm sea is known as Smuggler's Road. The Empire knows nothing of it's existance, and many a smuggler has evaded Imperial inspection by crossing these waters. Smuggling was a business, and with any business was competition. They may be at each other's throats on land, but out here the men have a certain unspoken respect for their lawless bretheren. And anyone who knew of this place was considered a brother. Pirates and smugglers were at peace with one another.

Save for one crew...

Below my very feet rest two ships, mingled and twisted together. It has been a whole year since they were lost. The smaller of the two, the Sheogorath's Whim, is responsible for the many decaying wreckages that dot this route.

My time aboard that ship was short, but I remember it as the most exiting and adventurous period of my life; yet it all started in the most frightening way possible. Well... frightening, at least, to this young Dunmer.

Sheo's Whim was the most fearsome vessel ever to have existed, partly due to its name. It was a ship and crew fit for a blessing from the Prince of Madness himself. The captain, considered to be a true monster, was rumored to be especially fit for such divine attention.

He was described as a savage. Many stories arise of a man that would devour the flesh of his fallen foes... and sometimes even his companions. It was this man, standing before me that very day... that very day I denounced my loyalty to the Dren family... that scared me more than any Daedra Lord.

He was known as Captain Red Fang. One of the greatest men I have ever met...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kell-Reevor
post Mar 22 2006, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Finder
Group Icon

No feedback yet, so I apologize for the double post.

Guess the audience is going to shrink a bit due to the release of Oblivion.

Oh well... enjoy the show.

Stranded on a rickety old rowboat, with naught but a sextant and miles of ocean between you and the nearest land. This was the popular fate of many outlaws on Smuggler's Run.

But not mine. Well... not yet that is.

From what I've been told, the ballista used to harpoon my old ship had smashed through the hull and knocked me into a quiet slumber. When I had awaken, I was the last of my crew left.

I know now they had been released, but their fate is still unknown to me. Their chances of actually making it to land without aid was slim.

As for me... my fate was about to be determined.

The dunmer was motivated to the splintery deck with a shove. His red eyes scanned the crew uneasily. All around him were raiders, men and women of all races. His head was pounding from a nasty wound, but he paid it no mind. He had bigger problems to focus on.

This was Captain Red Fang's ship... the Sheogorath's Whim.

"Who in Oblivion is that?"

He couldn't determine which of the raiders spoke, there were just too many of them.

"I found him on the Cyclone. Too bad he missed his friends' departure."

The Dunmer was resigned to his inevitable death, but nothing could quell his growing terror. He could only imagine the many horrible ways a man could die... and wondered which was to be his.

Someone was approaching, the raiders were silent. He looked up from the filthy planks of the decks to regard what could only have been Red Fang. But this was not the monster he had heard so many stories of...

Standing before him was a Redguard. Dressed in expensive blue attire with a black brimmed hat sporting an obsurdly long white feather. Tucked into a red sash was a sword... possibly a katana from the appearance.

"What's this?" the man asked.

"It's a 'Dunmer' you swi't," came a woman's voice from the growing crowd.

He paid no attention to the voice. Instead, he lazily turned his head away from their prisoner. "Captain, I think you missed someone!"

This wasn't the captain... this wasn't Red Fang. The real Red Fang was now making his way to the captive. The Dunmer's terror was once again ignited.

"Red Fang" was an Argonian, dressed in what appeared to be an old but cared for Imperial officer's uniform. They and the Dunmer hated one another, and would no doubt jump at an opportunity to kill one another. Or so he had believed...

The Dunmer closed his eyes and lowered his head as the captain drew a wicked longsword, praying for a quick death. A short moment passed, but it felt like an eternity.

A clatter jerked his eyes open once again. Resting below his lowered head was the longsword the Argo had drawn. Confused, he cautiously raised his head to regard his captor.

He grinned. It was hard to tell, but it was definetly a grin.

"You have three choices. The first..." He began to pace back and forth as he spoke, reminding the Dunmer of a pendilum in some old clock. "Take up the sword and strike at me. And die." He paused only briefly, then continued. "The second... take up the sword and plunge it into your heart. And die." This time, he spun to face the Dunmer, kneeling to be face to face.

"Or third... take up the sword, and grow wealthy beyond your imagination as a member of the most reckless crew of misfits and bastards that ever set sail!"

The men and women cheered. It was too late for the Dunmer to disembark with his former crew. And unlike the many stories claim, Red Fang was not about to slay an unarmed man.
+Quote Post
Neck' Thall
post Mar 22 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #3

Finder
Group Icon

Cool, a pirate story!!! These thing are awsome! Just to tell you I dont have oblivion yet, >:(so your guess was probably good that every one is playing it. Heck, when i finally get it, I'm gone. devilsmile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
treydog
post Mar 22 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Master
Group Icon

Ah, Kell, 'tis good to see you back again. I also don't know beans about sailing, with its terminology and so forth. But I do know that I like the way this story is shaping up.

--------------------
The dreams down here aren't broken, nah, they're walkin' with a limp...

The best-dressed newt in Mournhold.
+Quote Post
milanius
post Mar 22 2006, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Agent

ARRRR devilsmile.gif A pirate storeyy ! The beginning sounds promising... but don't you feel that it's Bad Mojo to name a ship Sheogorath's Whim ??

--------------------
Zlo činiti od zla se braneći,
tu zločinstva nema nikakvoga

Petar II Petrovic Njegos
(1813-1851)
+Quote Post
tymestrike
post Mar 22 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Retainer

very nice i can see the look of a balista bolt balsting though a ships hull very well please keep going

--------------------
Talking? I don't do much of that.

Please excuse my insanity

System Specs
3.0 Ghz Pentium D
1.0 GB RAM
512 Video RAM ATI Radeon 1650 Pro
5.1 Surround Sound Logitech Speakers
+Quote Post
jack cloudy
post Mar 22 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #7

Master
Group Icon

I don't know any naval terminology beyond starboard means right and port means left. (I'm not sure now. sad.gif )

But I do like your start, so go ahead and make an update.

--------------------
Fabulous hairneedle attack! I'm gonna be bald before I hit twenty.
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Mar 25 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Knower
Group Icon

I'm not very familiar with naval terms but I know one thing. I like your story! I am anxious to see how the Dunmer will handle beeing a pirate. I also like Red Fang's dialogue. Well writen!

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Kiln
post Mar 26 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #9

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Ah, it is good to see you writing again Kell. The way that the character looks back upon what happened is a great way to begin the story, looking down into the ocean and seeing the ships that lay at the bottom. Sheogorath's Whim is a truly unique and interesting story, as I've seen very few stories about pirates.

Keep up the good work mate. biggrin.gif

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
minque
post Mar 26 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #10

Wise Woman
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kiln @ Mar 26 2006, 07:25 PM)
Ah, it is good to see you writing again Kell.  The way that the character looks back upon what happened is a great way to begin the story, looking down into the ocean and seeing the ships that lay at the bottom.  Sheogorath's Whim is a truly unique and interesting story, as I've seen very few stories about pirates.

Keep up the good work mate. biggrin.gif

Agreed! Indeed nice to see you writing Kell! And a wee lesson in naval terminology we got! great job..... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chomh fada agus a bhionn daoine ah creiduint in aif�iseach, leanfaidh said na n-aingniomhi a choireamh (Voltaire)

Facebook

IPB Image

+Quote Post
jiub
post Mar 26 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #11

Associate

I don't think that I have seen a pirate story yet. I think this is going to be good I really liked your one shot story about the sword people too!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:10 AM