Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Settlements!, Show off your Settlements here!
SubRosa
post Feb 18 2019, 10:47 PM
Post #21

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 18 2019, 03:24 PM) *

"TCL" stopped working in my game on that last Steam update when the screenshots stopped working).

This used to always get me. When you use the TCL command, make sure nothing is selected first, otherwise it won't work. So click around a blank spot on the screen a few times until no refid shows as selected. Then try the command.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 19 2019, 02:35 AM
Post #22

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 18 2019, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Feb 18 2019, 03:24 PM) *

"TCL" stopped working in my game on that last Steam update when the screenshots stopped working).

This used to always get me. When you use the TCL command, make sure nothing is selected first, otherwise it won't work. So click around a blank spot on the screen a few times until no refid shows as selected. Then try the command.

Aha!!!! Thank you so much for this tip !!!!! I so hope this works, I hate not being able to use it when needed!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2019, 03:10 AM
Post #23

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 17 2019, 06:53 PM) *

Electricity can be tricky. Some objects need wires run directly to them. Others simply need to be within the radius of a power radiator. I don't mean a power source, like a windmill or fusion generator. You can find the radiators in the same section as the conduits, and they have to attached to a conduit of some kind. The vanilla radiators have a ridiculously small radius. I modded the game to increase it 10 times the area. There are mods on the Nexus that do likewise.

With items like spotlights or laser turrets that need electricity directly run to them, you have to start with a generator of some kind. You can make windmills with no Science, so that is what you will probably start with. If I recall, you select the generator and press space. That should give you a wire that you can attack to an object. If it is close enough you can run the wire directly to your device. Most likely you will have to create a series of connectors to move power around your settlement. You run a wire from one connector to another in a daisy chain, until you get to your end devices.

There are all kinds of connectors. Most are in the Connectors and Switches sub-section of Power. The main kind is the Power Conduit. It is just a little metal plug that you can run a wire to and from. There are also pylons, which are good for going over long distances outdoors.

There is also a conduit sub-section has a lot more as well. This is not to be confused with the Power Conduits. It is all pipes that power runs through. I like the conduits. Start with a Conduit Junction (it acts like a Power Conduit), and then attach a line of conduit pipes from it. I put power radiators at regular intervals along the pipe. Typically I will run a line of conduit down the lengths of two walls of a building. With the modded power radiators, that will power all the lights inside. Here is an example, with power coming from a windmill on the left, and running down into two lines of conduit

I have read that Power Pylons also give of a radius of power, like power radiators do. But I have not really tried doing much with them.

Ooh, windmills? I wonder how many units of electricity they generate?

That conduit looks really good; I really need to find that and see if I can make it. It looks much better than the wires everywhere!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Feb 22 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #24

Master
Group Icon

Windmills are pretty underwhelming in vanilla, IMO. They only generate 3 power. I've since found a mod that lets you select how much it generates (I use 10) and increase the speed of the rotation.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2019, 05:21 PM
Post #25

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Feb 22 2019, 07:42 AM) *

Windmills are pretty underwhelming in vanilla, IMO. They only generate 3 power. I've since found a mod that lets you select how much it generates (I use 10) and increase the speed of the rotation.

Only 3 each? yeah, that isn't enough at all. I'd def want to tweak that in the CK if I was going to use them. Even tweaked though; because of those horrible Sanctuary houses = might look better to build a "wind farm" on the fringes and run the power in like I've done now with the Fusion Generators. It would be a lot quieter than the generators, though (I think, actually haven't run across any windmills in game or built one yet).

This game has A LOT of noise pollution in the Settlements. I couldn't stand going into Sanctuary before I moved the generators to the far end away from the houses (and changed the turrets to Heavy Lasers = (which are still pretty noisy; but not nearly as loud as the Heavy Machine Guns).

I've been toying with making a mod for Sanctuary; but am torn over the houses. I can't stand the "Clean/Prewar" look of the Sanctuary houses at all; but = not thrilled with the post war Sanctuary look either. Those houses are so at odds with every other house in the entire game; they just don't seem to fit with the area around them at all. The houses in Concord look better, imho.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better house model to use in Sanctuary, I'm all ears! Nothing fancy; nothing too clean (but I do think it is ridiculous that after 200 years people couldn't pick up trash off their floors or sweep leaves out of their houses = that will absolutely be done in the houses in my mod).

I'll probably keep the Player house and Rosa house intact; just cover the outer walls with some other building material and possibly add a second floor to the Rosa house. (But the rest of the houses may be dumped, depending on if I can find something suitable to replace them).

** If I ever get it done and going to load it into my game = will probably customize the turrets to run quieter, too; laugh.gif

This post has been edited by mALX: Feb 22 2019, 05:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Feb 22 2019, 06:56 PM
Post #26

Master
Group Icon

How about this mod for inspiration: Weathered Sanctuary Home.

It's basically a pre-war, un-ruined version of the player home, but with post-war textures. It and Sanctuary Clean Roads never leave my load order.

--------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Feb 22 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #27

Ancient
Group Icon

Quieter Settlements will reduce the noise from generators and gun turrets. Its been a standard part of my rotation for a long time.

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 22 2019, 11:55 PM
Post #28

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Feb 22 2019, 12:56 PM) *

How about this mod for inspiration: Weathered Sanctuary Home.

It's basically a pre-war, un-ruined version of the player home, but with post-war textures. It and Sanctuary Clean Roads never leave my load order.

I actually saw this mod yesterday for the first time (Weathered Sanctuary Home) and earmarked it for possible future use as inspiration since I'm keeping at least the Player and Rosa house intact. I really do like the idea of the intact exteriors looking worn/rusted/etc. (and that horribly shiny prewar interior being toned down to a normal appearance!!!)

That modder had an excellent idea; and I def got inspiration from it! It is def a better alternative than either the Prewar or Post war Player Houses!

I was kind of disappointed that the Author didn't finish the rest of the homes in Sanctuary with the weathered textures and prewar exteriors. In seeing how good a job she did on the Player House; I was inspired to finish out the rest of Sanctuary with those textures on the prewar exteriors if I can't find a better house style to use in there. It would sure be easier than what I've been doing = throwing up facades on all the exterior walls in Sanctuary piece by piece. Altering the textures and using intact houses would be so much faster and use so many less resources than what I've been doing!

On the "Sanctuary Clean Roads" = I've actually already done all this in my mod whenever I upload it. That was the easy part! laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 23 2019, 01:24 AM
Post #29

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(SubRosa @ Feb 22 2019, 03:55 PM) *

Quieter Settlements will reduce the noise from generators and gun turrets. Its been a standard part of my rotation for a long time.

Oooh! I def want to check this out! I was just going to customize the turrets in my mod by turning off whatever sound they had going on and saving them as a new item with a new name! Thanks SR !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Feb 25 2019, 04:15 AM
Post #30

Mouth
Group Icon

Thanks for the tips! I just tried the thing with the pylons for the first time today. And it worked! I've really been delving into settlement building the last few weeks, but there are so many now and the populations are growing so fast that I needed to shut off some of the Settlement Recruitment Beacons to keep up.

I really didn't care much about settlement building before, but I'm actually really enjoying it now. Sometimes kind of hard to make realistic structures though (some of these would not be structurally sound in the slightest, but I tried using some supports from the Vault-Tec Workshop DLC to make it seem a bit more realistic).

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 25 2019, 06:10 AM
Post #31

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Feb 24 2019, 10:15 PM) *

Thanks for the tips! I just tried the thing with the pylons for the first time today. And it worked! I've really been delving into settlement building the last few weeks, but there are so many now and the populations are growing so fast that I needed to shut off some of the Settlement Recruitment Beacons to keep up.

I really didn't care much about settlement building before, but I'm actually really enjoying it now. Sometimes kind of hard to make realistic structures though (some of these would not be structurally sound in the slightest, but I tried using some supports from the Vault-Tec Workshop DLC to make it seem a bit more realistic).

I am loving having this thread to come to for advice, too! I've learned so much from it already!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Feb 25 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #32

Master
Group Icon

Looks like someone beat you to it, mALX!

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37597

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Feb 25 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #33

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Feb 25 2019, 08:14 AM) *

Looks like someone beat you to it, mALX!

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/37597

This is Awesome! I like that they let you decide how much of the changes you want to make; and love most of the new textures they added = especially the wood paneling! (the tiles in the bathroom are still way too shiny; I prefer the post war textures to that overly shiny look).

Thank you so much for posting this, I really like this one!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 1 2019, 03:42 PM
Post #34

Ancient
Group Icon

I spent the night playing with houses to replace those in Sanctuary. Here are some screens of a few I've come up with = welcoming thoughts and opinions; suggestions; etc.

https://imgur.com/a/ffMIQab

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 1 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #35

Master
Group Icon

IPB Image

If that was a mod, I'd have it yesterday!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 1 2019, 07:20 PM
Post #36

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Mar 1 2019, 09:58 AM) *

IPB Image

If that was a mod, I'd have it yesterday!

I agree with you; I do like the look of those prefab exteriors; I think they suit what Sanctuary should look like better than the vanilla Sanctuary houses = and they sure cut down on materials usage! The only down side of them = not easy to set up the interiors properly for using them; the walls are all over the place.

It would be so much easier to just have an outside shell and make my own interiors. (which is what I was looking for; prefab exteriors with full walls (not invisible on the inside like all their "load door" houses are. The only ones they have are Static Collections; can't break them without issues (so I've been trying to find the major pieces Bethesda made the prefabs with so I can set up my own Static Collection house with a better interior).

Those two big red houses in the back of the Settlement need the exterior walls repaired; but the way the interiors are set up is Awesome! I really would like to use them; so plan to repair those broken walls and use them. (though I might change their colors from red and green to something a bit closer to the prefabs in the screens.

Oh, and the double vanilla Sanctuary house was just an experiment; but I didn't like it at all = left it in there to remind myself how bad it looked later when I'm deciding, lol. What I was actually thinking of doing instead of that was to change the exterior materials of the Vanilla Sanctuary houses to something a bit more in keeping with the rest of the wasteland; remove the roofs; put stairs in and build up a second floor right off the original base houses. That might work; and would look a lot better than just duplicating the below house and raising it up to make a second floor.

(I'll probably fiddle with testing that out tonight).

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 1 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #37

Ancient
Group Icon

** on a different note: I did discover how they did the Navmeshing for the scrap-able objects like that fence I moved from the backyards and put up all along my Sanctuary road (that now NPC's and Brahman keep walking into since I moved it).

Bethesda linked the Navmesh to the scrap-able items by marking those triangles as "Initially Disabled;" thereby creating "gaps" in the Navmesh where all the scrap-able items initially sit. They become enabled when the items are moved/scrapped/etc; thereby enabling that Navmesh so NPC's can walk where the cars we scrapped once stood; etc.

When you turn on your Navmesh; you can see where they did them all = it shows up a bright-bright pink on the Navmesh.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Kane
post Mar 2 2019, 05:23 PM
Post #38

Master
Group Icon

Nabbed some shots of my room at the Castle, aka Minutemen HQ.

https://i.imgur.com/8e7ymi0.png

https://i.imgur.com/JENMn0V.png

https://i.imgur.com/XCDFiKf.png

--------------------
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Mar 2 2019, 05:26 PM
Post #39

Ancient
Group Icon

Wow, that looks really cool. Must nicer than I am used to seeing the Castle look!

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Mar 3 2019, 08:06 AM
Post #40

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kane @ Mar 2 2019, 11:23 AM) *

Holy Cow, this is AWESOME !!!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 AM