Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Assassin's Creed Series, Where Parkour Meets Murderhobos
SubRosa
post Mar 16 2021, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Ancient
Group Icon

So I started playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey a few nights ago. It has been a love/hate relationship. For starters the beginning of this game is insanely difficult, even on Easy. Once past the sort of tutorial with King Leonidas, the game gave me two thugs to kill. That was no problem. So I thought ok, I can do this.

Then I was out walking admiring the scenery and a wolf attacked me. Ok, no big deal. Pretty much RPG 101 is fighting either rats, or wolves. The next thing I knew I was dead. The wolf hit me once, and I lost 90% of my health. I hit it about 4-5 times, which took it down to about 60% of its health. Then it hit me again, and it was over. I reloaded, thinking maybe it was a fluke. It was not. I tried it about 6 times, and died in two hits every time.

*sigh*

So I went back to an older save, and avoided that area with that particular wolf. I killed some bandits, no sweat. A few hours later I almost paniced when I ran into several wolves. But I killed them all. So I figured, ok, this is getting better.

Then the game says a bounty hunter is after me, named Talos (maybe he was looking for his Stormcrown?). I ran into him shortly after, and it was the same story. He hits me twice and I am dead. I hit him a dozen times, and it barely moves his health bar. So I reloaded from an older save, and avoided him. Hours later I try attacking him again, and again, I die about a dozen times. Hours later I figured out that I was doing a lot more damage with a bow. So I tried that against him, and died about a dozen times. So reload to earlier again, and hours later tried for a fourth series of times. After about the 4th time I was able to kill him using just the bow. My guess is that he had about 30 - 40 times my health.

*sigh*

I have no idea if this is indicative of the entire game or not. What makes it more difficult is that there is no command console, and no mods aside from reshades and graphics tweaks. Ubisoft - the game company - is one of those rabid microtransaction lovers. They want you to spend tons of money in their game store to avoid grinding your toon. So they cut off any way of them losing money by making modding or using the console impossible.

Normally this would be a no-brainer for me. I would just delete the game and forget it. But the truth is the game world is just beautiful. I love just walking around and looking at things. I am also deeply impressed with the lengths they went to in order to accurately depict Ancient Greece. This is the real deal. Statues and temples are not pristine white edifices. They are painted in bright colors. People wear the right outfits, down to the wide brim hats. The homes, the lamps, the amphorae, it is all right.

So I am plodding along, hoping these weird lopsided combats are not common. I have had a lot of fights that worked out just fine. Others not so. The sharks in a sunken temple were another insanely frustrating experience. But enough about that.

Edit: After playing a few days, I can definitely say that the game gets a lot easier once you get past Talos, and reach 5th level or so. You can take on packs of enemies the same level as you and defeat them so long as you are paying attention and use some tactics, like keep moving so they cannot all gang up on you at once.

Greeking out

A view from up high (atop a statue of Zeus)

Let's go boating!

There are giants beneath the waves

Uh oh, found the edge of the Truman Show

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Acadian
post Jun 21 2021, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Paladin
Group Icon

I thought your character had a flying eagle familiar - not a flying horse. laugh.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
SubRosa   Assassin's Creed Series   Mar 16 2021, 07:15 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The last AC game I played was Black Flag. I’ve c...   Mar 16 2021, 01:09 PM
Renee   Cool, I'm glad one of us has tried an AC game....   Mar 16 2021, 04:45 PM
SubRosa   The game is going a lot better now. Once I made it...   Mar 17 2021, 02:58 AM
Acadian   I'm enjoying your adventure through ancient Gr...   Mar 17 2021, 12:15 PM
SubRosa   In addition to the eagle, you also get a horse rig...   Mar 18 2021, 12:53 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   In addition to the eagle, you also get a horse ri...   Mar 18 2021, 01:31 AM
SubRosa   In addition to the eagle, you also get a horse r...   Mar 18 2021, 02:56 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   It is a combination of all those. You have rammin...   Mar 18 2021, 03:15 AM
SubRosa   [quote name='SubRosa' post='334526' date='Mar 17 ...   Mar 18 2021, 07:19 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   The mods are all cosmetic. However, there are som...   Mar 18 2021, 01:21 PM
SubRosa   So I have progressed in the game. I went to Megari...   Mar 20 2021, 03:31 AM
macole   The scene with the sea battle is impressive.   Mar 20 2021, 03:45 AM
SubRosa   The ship with the blue sail and Owl insignia is At...   Mar 20 2021, 04:02 AM
SubRosa   Something else I keep forgetting to mention is tha...   Mar 20 2021, 06:18 AM
Acadian   A bowgirl with a horse! Woot! Even thou...   Mar 20 2021, 06:04 PM
hazmick   Glad to see you enjoying the game, SubRosa. I very...   Mar 21 2021, 11:44 PM
SubRosa   Done some more Assassining in Ancient Greece. I fi...   Mar 24 2021, 02:00 AM
TheCheshireKhajiit   Done some more Assassining in Ancient Greece. I f...   Mar 24 2021, 05:49 PM
SubRosa   Walking on moon beams Athenian trireme An underg...   Mar 29 2021, 12:43 AM
Acadian   Your game looks fabulous! On that first pict...   Mar 29 2021, 03:29 PM
SubRosa   I had an interesting conquest battle last night, f...   Apr 1 2021, 03:50 AM
SubRosa   Today I tried out The Cheat Engine, which has a pl...   Apr 3 2021, 10:01 PM
SubRosa   An Athenian trireme firing upon a pirate ship Acr...   Apr 5 2021, 09:10 PM
Acadian   That's a beautiful Athenian ship; I imagine th...   Apr 5 2021, 09:31 PM
macole   But the Kraken shot is, um, er... :hehe:   Apr 6 2021, 04:50 AM
SubRosa   Some notes on items in this game. First off, Odys...   Apr 8 2021, 11:20 PM
SubRosa   Sailing the Aegean Here there be monsters And Se...   Apr 21 2021, 03:27 AM
Acadian   Great pics! That is a well done minotaur. ...   Apr 21 2021, 07:16 PM
SubRosa   Acadian: The Minotaur was really cool. There are C...   Apr 25 2021, 06:01 AM
Acadian   Magnificent shots of Athens and that town. And w...   Apr 25 2021, 07:00 PM
hazmick   More great shots! I love the pirate ship with...   Apr 25 2021, 09:38 PM
SubRosa   When horses fly Gravity was not a law in Ancient ...   Jun 20 2021, 08:29 PM
Pseron Wyrd   The sword in the stone That's a cool outfit....   Jun 20 2021, 08:40 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:21 PM