Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Daggerfall remake..., There's a rumour going 'round...
McBadgere
post Aug 27 2013, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Councilor
Group Icon

I read today in a small section of the brother's X-Box mag that rumour has it that Bethesda are remaking Daggerfall as their next ES game...

Anyone else think this is likely? And was it a good enough game in the first place to warrant remaking it?...

Oh, and what was it about?...I don't know anything about the early ones... biggrin.gif ...

What do you mean "Well go and look then, ya flipping* idjit..."? huh.gif ...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Nov 30 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Mouth
Group Icon

As much as I love Daggerfall, part of me laments about what it could have been. Then again, I suppose I could say similar for every TES game really, since they always have some cut content that would have made it better. It's pretty impressive what they did manage to get done in such a short, tight development cycle, but it could have been more. Although I suppose that contributes to the charm.

But there's no way Bethesda does an actual, full-fledged remake, as cool as that would be. Daggerfall Unity is likely the closest we will ever get.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Nov 30 2017, 12:54 PM

--------------------
"[Insert awesome/inspiring/cool/smart/pseudo-intellectual quote here.]" - Me
+Quote Post
mALX
post Nov 30 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Nov 30 2017, 06:54 AM) *

As much as I love Daggerfall, part of me laments about what it could have been. Then again, I suppose I could say similar for every TES game really, since they always have some cut content that would have made it better. It's pretty impressive what they did manage to get done in such a short, tight development cycle, but it could have been more. Although I suppose that contributes to the charm.

But there's no way Bethesda does an actual, full-fledged remake, as cool as that would be. Daggerfall Unity is likely the closest we will ever get.

But...you can LIVE in Daggerfall in ESO! Save the King; drink at the pub; etc. (fight off werewolves; etc). They did a really nice job of maintaining the look and feel of all the TES Provinces!

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 1 2017, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 30 2017, 07:00 AM) *

But...you can LIVE in Daggerfall in ESO! Save the King; drink at the pub; etc. (fight off werewolves; etc). They did a really nice job of maintaining the look and feel of all the TES Provinces!

Don't get me wrong, I like what I have seen of the Iliac Bay in ESO. But there's just something about the actual game of Daggerfall that is hard, if not impossible, to replicate.

It will never happen, but I'd be indescribably ecstatic if we could have the same plot, setting, some of the mechanics, modern lore elements, and updated graphics of TESII (at least, that is the general basis of what I want). I also want some of the stuff that had to get cut out put back in.

This post has been edited by RaderOfTheLostArk: Dec 1 2017, 06:36 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 1 2017, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(RaderOfTheLostArk @ Dec 1 2017, 12:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mALX @ Nov 30 2017, 07:00 AM) *

Don't get me wrong, I like what I have seen of the Iliac Bay in ESO. But there's just something about the actual game of Daggerfall that is hard, if not impossible, to replicate.

It will never happen, but I'd be indescribably ecstatic if we could have the same plot, setting, some of the mechanics, modern lore elements, and updated graphics of TESII (at least, that is the general basis of what I want). I also want some of the stuff that had to get cut out put back in.

After Oblivion was released I actually wrote Bethesda and begged them to remake/update Arena and Daggerfall with today's graphics engines and capabilities; but keeping the same storylines. Of course it never happened; but how great would that have been if they had?

I also begged them for one world that we could experience all of Tamriel in. Well, they kind of did that with Elder Scrolls Online. Different storylines because it falls before Arena's storylines begin; but they kept it so close to the look of each of the provinces that the feel is still there. When I first saw Seyda Neen, I actually recognized it without having to see the "You have discovered Seyda Neen." And Vivec City, etc.

But yeah; I started this game at Oblivion and SO wanted to play the earlier games and experience the Lore firsthand - but the graphics and awkward combat made it really hard to go backwards for me beyond Morrowind. I remain totally in love with the storyline and Lore of Arena and Daggerfall; and even Redguard. Just wish I could play it in today's graphics engines. I know graphics and mechanics shouldn't matter; but they really do (to me) when trying to go backwards.

This post has been edited by mALX: Dec 1 2017, 01:39 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
RaderOfTheLostArk
post Dec 1 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #6

Mouth
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 1 2017, 07:37 AM) *

After Oblivion was released I actually wrote Bethesda and begged them to remake/update Arena and Daggerfall with today's graphics engines and capabilities; but keeping the same storylines. Of course it never happened; but how great would that have been if they had?

I also begged them for one world that we could experience all of Tamriel in. Well, they kind of did that with Elder Scrolls Online. Different storylines because it falls before Arena's storylines begin; but they kept it so close to the look of each of the provinces that the feel is still there. When I first saw Seyda Neen, I actually recognized it without having to see the "You have discovered Seyda Neen." And Vivec City, etc.

But yeah; I started this game at Oblivion and SO wanted to play the earlier games and experience the Lore firsthand - but the graphics and awkward combat made it really hard to go backwards for me beyond Morrowind. I remain totally in love with the storyline and Lore of Arena and Daggerfall; and even Redguard. Just wish I could play it in today's graphics engines. I know graphics and mechanics shouldn't matter; but they really do (to me) when trying to go backwards.

Funny that you say that, because I felt a similar way when I was getting into Oblivion and Morrowind. Skyrim was my first foray into TES, and when I played Oblivion for the first time I was taken aback by how different it was. Playing Morrowind for the first time was a similar case. But I decided to give them a chance, and grew to love them too.

But perhaps the funny part is that the even starker differences in Arena and Daggerfall did not put me off. That was for several reasons. For one, I had learned by that point not to expect any two TES games to play similarly. Two, because they were so old I figured there would be some rather primitive aspects and that they would be even more different. Three, it tugged at some nostalgia for me, because when I was really young we had a computer that ran MS-DOS games. So the fact that Arena and Daggerfall ran on that resonated with me even though I had never played them before. That's not to say I could play any MS-DOS games, but because TES had been cemented as my favorite video game series by Morrowind I was determined to plow through the other games. Redguard even was added to the list at the very beginning of the year.

I don't blame anybody else for not being able to get past some of the really awkward mechanics of the old games. I don't know if I would've even played all the way through Arena and Redguard all the way if they weren't TES games, even though I grew to love them apart from the franchise name.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
McBadgere   Daggerfall remake...   Aug 27 2013, 09:27 PM
ghastley   Depends on what "remake" means. Origin...   Aug 27 2013, 10:13 PM
SubRosa   Maybe they should remake Skyrim. Its been almost t...   Aug 27 2013, 10:46 PM
mirocu   Maybe they should remake Skyrim. Its been almost ...   Oct 2 2013, 11:43 AM
mALX   Maybe they should remake Skyrim. Its been almost...   Jul 31 2016, 04:44 AM
Kiln   Maybe they should remake Skyrim. Its been almost ...   Sep 1 2016, 10:31 AM
Kiln   If they do remake it I hope they remake it complet...   Sep 3 2013, 06:07 AM
Colonel Mustard   I like this idea, actually, but I think if they do...   Sep 3 2013, 06:18 AM
King Of Beasts   I think they should stop working on a new project,...   Sep 10 2013, 08:10 AM
Colonel Mustard   I think they should stop working on a new project...   Sep 10 2013, 10:22 AM
Decrepit   A bit of potential good news. I made a periodic to...   Nov 14 2015, 03:06 PM
Decrepit   A very brief Youtube video showing off some modded...   Aug 18 2017, 10:42 AM
King Of Beasts   I demand another game taking place in the illiac B...   Nov 29 2017, 10:55 PM
mALX   I demand another game taking place in the illiac ...   Nov 30 2017, 12:15 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:42 PM