41 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Writing Process, And/Or Problems with Same
ghastley
post Jul 18 2016, 04:56 PM
Post #621

Councilor
Group Icon

I think what I'll do is start Kothet here with that one episode I linked to and then put it on hold until Clark is done. Then I'm committed, and might continue. And mALX can read it here, and not need the link. tongue.gif

Since Kurdan is going to build a Stronghold over at Haven, I won't compete/contrast/contradict with that, so maybe I need to tell them about Munchkin. Or Cat-man Dhou? - he's one of my few characters that lets me show screenshots of his story. biggrin.gif

(This one has a few problems with thinking of himself in third person, but he is taking lessons from Tsarina.)

This post has been edited by ghastley: Jul 18 2016, 05:09 PM

--------------------
Mods for The Elder Scrolls single-player games, and I play ESO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 18 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #622

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Jul 18 2016, 11:56 AM) *

I think what I'll do is start Kothet here with that one episode I linked to and then put it on hold until Clark is done. Then I'm committed, and might continue. And mALX can read it here, and not need the link. tongue.gif

Since Kurdan is going to build a Stronghold over at Haven, I won't compete/contrast/contradict with that, so maybe I need to tell them about Munchkin. Or Cat-man Dhou? - he's one of my few characters that lets me show screenshots of his story. biggrin.gif

(This one has a few problems with thinking of himself in third person, but he is taking lessons from Tsarina.)

He may be taking lessons from Malan if he talks about himself in 3rd person, laugh.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Jul 26 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #623

Councilor
Group Icon

I've hit a block with Kothet. After twenty chapters, he's finally in a position to discover/decide his housecarl's name, but I can't decide how that happens.

Does he get to choose a name for her? Prizna got hers from the CoC when he rescued her, but that's now set the precedent for female Dremora to have their own names. But do they all get one? or do they still have to earn the right? Kothet doesn't know, and she hasn't told him what's being going on in the Deadlands since he was effectively exiled by the gates closing. Only that Dagon approved of Prizna's actions, as he likes anything getting broken, and that includes rules.

And I'm having problems picking one myself. Xandra is my character that's doing the inverse of Kothet's story, building the tower and getting a male housecarl (with no known name), so that's one possibility. But "Prizna" was a meaningful name for her situation, and I'd rather do that again, if I can find one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Jul 26 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #624

Paladin
Group Icon

When I think housecarl, I think of their primary role: defend their liege from all foes. Honing in on what should be a protective/defensive nature brings the name Barbican to mind - a fortified outpost or gateway protecting the outer walls of a city, castle or Thane. Oh, and you could call her Barbie for short! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Screenshot: Buffy in Artaeum
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Jul 26 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #625

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acadian @ Jul 26 2016, 03:27 PM) *

When I think housecarl, I think of their primary role: defend their liege from all foes. Honing in on what should be a protective/defensive nature brings the name Barbican to mind - a fortified outpost or gateway protecting the outer walls of a city, castle or Thane. Oh, and you could call her Barbie for short! biggrin.gif

A Barbie doll! WOO HOO !!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Grits
post Jul 26 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #626

Councilor
Group Icon

If you need a reason why some female dremora would have names already and some need to be given one, perhaps their caste system doesn’t allow names for dremora who are beneath the Churl rank? Just an idea.

In ESO Jerric knows some named female dremora from Coldharbour, and Darnand has met one who serves Hermaeus Mora. Their names are on this UESP page: link.

When I named the dremora from the Sanguine Rose (Krethuzet) I looked up Egyptian names for inspiration, since some of them sound Kyn-ish to me.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Aug 9 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #627

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Grits @ Jul 26 2016, 05:50 PM) *

When I named the dremora from the Sanguine Rose (Krethuzet) I looked up Egyptian names for inspiration, since some of them sound Kyn-ish to me.

I found a lot of female Egyptian names ending in -titi that seemed to suit her, somehow. biggrin.gif

But she might end up as Zahra (meaning flower) if I don't use that for an Orc first.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 12 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #628

Master
Group Icon

Hey writers! I have a problem. I find myself facing this small challenge . . .

One of the stories I am writing is completely in first person, and unlike the other stories it only has one point of view character. I have several chapters written that I haven't posted, but there is one chapter where I cannot offer the point of view of the character due to certain cirscumstances revolving around her. Would it be safe to offer one or two chapters in the point of view of another person? Or would that break the flow of the entire story being narrated by the protagonist?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed.
I long for scenes where man hath never trod
A place where woman never smiled or wept
There to abide with my Creator, God,
And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept,
Untroubling and untroubled where I lie
The grass below—above the vaulted sky.”
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 12 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #629

Councilor
Group Icon

As long as you make it clear that the POV has been changed, I don't see a problem. Especially as a single-viewpoint narrative has no easy way to show what the narrator doesn't know...

So starting off with "What (narrator) doesn't know, but I do, is that ..." would work fine. Or anything like that.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 12 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #630

Paladin
Group Icon

I agree. When you do change perspective, I'd urge following a couple wise SubRosa rules:
- Make it crystal clear whose perspective the scene is in.
- Make the results worth the significant change in perspective.
- Don't bounce around among perspectives - stick with one for at least a full scene.

I am rather welded to a fairly strict first person view as you know. I have actually grown to enjoy the 'mystery' created by the fact that the reader doesn't know anything more than the primary character knows. It is a different way of providing suspense and mystery that I have grown to rather like.

Overall though, it is your story and it sounds like you think a PoV change is important to get your objectives across - so I'd say do it. Just try to follow the guidelines above and, more importantly, have fun! cool.gif

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
mALX
post Oct 12 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #631

Ancient
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkness Eternal @ Oct 12 2016, 04:27 PM) *

Hey writers! I have a problem. I find myself facing this small challenge . . .

One of the stories I am writing is completely in first person, and unlike the other stories it only has one point of view character. I have several chapters written that I haven't posted, but there is one chapter where I cannot offer the point of view of the character due to certain cirscumstances revolving around her. Would it be safe to offer one or two chapters in the point of view of another person? Or would that break the flow of the entire story being narrated by the protagonist?

Thanks in advance!

I followed Sage SubRosa's advice too, and do agree with her = think it is best in separate chapters; but if you have to do it in the same chapter put a heading in bold to give the reader the heads up; and don't change POV back and forth in one chapter; if you change it once in the chapter, then end that chapter with the change and don't change back till the next chapter. (and once again, give the bolded heading to let the reader know whose POV they are hearing from now).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Oct 14 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #632

Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(ghastley @ Oct 12 2016, 09:33 PM) *

As long as you make it clear that the POV has been changed, I don't see a problem. Especially as a single-viewpoint narrative has no easy way to show what the narrator doesn't know...

So starting off with "What (narrator) doesn't know, but I do, is that ..." would work fine. Or anything like that.

Right. I'll take that into consideration. The issue of course was just changing point of view from the middle of the story when it was being narrated by a single character. This works well, too.

Thanks Ghastly.

QUOTE(Acadian @ Oct 12 2016, 09:49 PM) *

I agree. When you do change perspective, I'd urge following a couple wise SubRosa rules:
- Make it crystal clear whose perspective the scene is in.
- Make the results worth the significant change in perspective.
- Don't bounce around among perspectives - stick with one for at least a full scene.

I am rather welded to a fairly strict first person view as you know. I have actually grown to enjoy the 'mystery' created by the fact that the reader doesn't know anything more than the primary character knows. It is a different way of providing suspense and mystery that I have grown to rather like.

Overall though, it is your story and it sounds like you think a PoV change is important to get your objectives across - so I'd say do it. Just try to follow the guidelines above and, more importantly, have fun! cool.gif
Hmm. The three I know of.

You know you make a fine point there. I suppose I'll have to be creative if I am to stick with the first person in that particular chapter. Thanks Acadian.

QUOTE(mALX @ Oct 12 2016, 10:47 PM) *

I followed Sage SubRosa's advice too, and do agree with her = think it is best in separate chapters; but if you have to do it in the same chapter put a heading in bold to give the reader the heads up; and don't change POV back and forth in one chapter; if you change it once in the chapter, then end that chapter with the change and don't change back till the next chapter. (and once again, give the bolded heading to let the reader know whose POV they are hearing from now).
I wasn't considering using two points of views in one chapter. Only one. The story has always been through Vera's point of view. Its her seeing the world. To change it to some random character would seem out of place. I was just curious on it hehe. But thanks again for the advice. I'll see what I can cook up with this.

Thanks mALX.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Oct 25 2016, 01:05 PM
Post #633

Master
Group Icon

Old mentors and veteran ones! This young firebrand doth haveth a question! When posting chapters, how many is that perfect balance between quantity and quality? I'm starting to think that 3k words per chapter is just a long butt read for the audience and I was thinking on cutting it up to 1.5k per post. But then I thought 1.5k would be too short and I'm currently losing my mind right now and what's that pink elephant doing on the ceiling?

Anyway, what's just enough word count per chapter to keep people seated and reading?

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
hazmick
post Oct 25 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #634

Mouth
Group Icon

I had the same problem a while ago, and (with help from Acadian and Grits) settled on 1000 to 1500 words per chapter for 1 chapter a week. If you post more frequently then you'll want less words, and vice versa.

--------------------
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"...a quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself, always a laborious business."
+Quote Post
ghastley
post Oct 25 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #635

Councilor
Group Icon

QUOTE(Uleni Athram @ Oct 25 2016, 08:05 AM) *

... and what's that pink elephant doing on the ceiling?

I believe it was known as the Watusi. Or at least that's what my pink elephants did. Hippos are more into classical ballet.

I do about the 1500 weekly thing, too. My actual measure is three screen-fulls in Wordpad, but that depends on window size, so it's a totally inaccurate estimate. It just seems to work, though.

Do NOT post 200,000 words once a year, or like mirocu, five words every ten seconds.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Oct 25 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #636

Paladin
Group Icon

QUOTE(hazmick @ Oct 25 2016, 05:35 AM) *

I had the same problem a while ago, and (with help from Acadian and Grits) settled on 1000 to 1500 words per chapter for 1 chapter a week. If you post more frequently then you'll want less words, and vice versa.

Well said and I agree entirely. Forum fiction posting is its own unique style and, over time, I've come to believe that much over 1500 words per episode invites skimming and reduces the impact of all your hard work. You don't have to 'finish' each episode by bringing something to a conclusion - that is why we write continuing stories and often include an 'In our previous episode...' summary to warm readers up at the beginning of our next update. Speaking of next updates, once a week allows enough time for your readers to easily fit it in their schedule but is frequent enough to stay current.

Good luck Uleni and have fun!

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post
Uleni Athram
post Oct 25 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #637

Master
Group Icon

:3

Thank you, Danke, ありがとうございます

*thumbs up*

My path is clear now and all that remains is to walk.

--------------------
I wanna slap people and tell them I love them
+Quote Post
SubRosa
post Nov 19 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #638

Ancient
Group Icon

I am reading a Star Wars novel where the planet the characters on suffers from frequent earthquakes. Of course the planet they are on is not Earth, nor is any other in that particular galaxy. So the author refers to them 'groundquakes'. I thought that was an excellent term, and one that writers in TES fiction could appropriate.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Darkness Eternal
post Nov 19 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #639

Master
Group Icon

That is a great term. Works well with ES. Though I have seen the word "earth" in ES.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Acadian
post Nov 19 2016, 04:51 PM
Post #640

Paladin
Group Icon

Excellent observation, SubRosa. Each of us have our own fiction 'stylebook' (you taught me that) and mine strictly forbids any use of the term earth in my TES fiction. Groundquakes is an excellent alternative to Nirnquakes.

When referring to soil, I stay with terms like soil, dirt, rich loam etc instead of using the term earth to refer to dirt.

Things like 'What on earth Nirn were you thinking?!?' are easy and fun to work with.

--------------------
Stop by our sub forum!
+Quote Post

41 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:24 AM