12 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elder Scrolls Community competition
kementari
post May 29 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #161

Evoker

QUOTE(Alexander @ May 29 2008, 04:05 AM) *

It's actually not so much the idea of going into them, I wouldn't have any problem with it itself. I just thought there was so little meaning behind it, so little value. I mean if you're going to steal an Elder Scroll to read what is going to happen in the future (as I believe that's what they're supposed to hold) then ok. Taking an Elder scroll and changing the text on it to change the future, or some such plot, I'd probably have "digged" that. But stealing it and then burning it, only in a show for your own followers, seems to be underusing it a bit.

I guess that's what my question boiled down to, a feeling that such an important and hollowed artifact was underused. smile.gif

I was actually referring to the concept of destroying an Elder Scroll, not reading, manipulating, or even stealing one. They're just a little... like you said, important and hallowed, to be used to make a point about how EEEEVIL your character is. There are plenty of nameless NPCs for that. biggrin.gif

--------------------

I am the sword in darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 29 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #162

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(kementari @ May 29 2008, 09:02 PM) *

I was actually referring to the concept of destroying an Elder Scroll, not reading, manipulating, or even stealing one. They're just a little... like you said, important and hallowed, to be used to make a point about how EEEEVIL your character is. There are plenty of nameless NPCs for that. biggrin.gif

Hehe, true that smile.gif

--------------------
All that is needed for evil to triumph, is that good men stand idle.
+Quote Post
0rimus
post May 30 2008, 01:47 AM
Post #163

Evoker

Sorry, Nathaniel isn't all that powerful, in fact, almost all his little magic skill is only because he's an Altmer. And wasn't there some kinda of made-up reason for levitation (not that Nathan could manage it anyway) not being present in Oblivion? Also, Nathaniel was requried to NOT kill Sturm when he was sleeping, which is what he was doing well into the attack, also, as Stan said; they were chased off by a large group of minotaurs. Nathaniel is a great assassin, and a mediocre mage, but he's not too good in an all out fight. I'm not going to apologize for a lack of understanding microsoft word. I can't be expected to repair a car with no, or little prior experience. Every school report/essay I've ever done in my life was by hand, cuz I like my handwriting and can put more into it that way. As I said, I don't like typing, and in my comp lit classes, all we do is type-to-learn all year. I only learned of edit; replace, a week after I submitted, and I had to figure that out by myself. Think about it; in all my posts I've used both excellent vocabulary, grammar, and spelling. So if I put so much work into a post I really don't care about, what makes you think I'd purposely negelect something I poured my life into?
It has been said that since alot of people are ripping on the judges (perhaps myself to a small extent) that a competition might not be held again. Could it not be so for the writers as well? It's also been said that the judges were not professionals, and that they were judging an AMETUER competition. This is the first writing I've ever submitted to anyone, except a close friend of mine in RL, and I followed all the rules to the letter.

As for the elder scroll, I don't think I overstepped my grounds, and used only things the TES writers provided: I knew that an elder scroll could in fact be stolen and possessed; I knew that it looked like an ordinary scroll; I never stated what it did, or its purpose; heck, maybe elder scrolls CAN'T be destroyed.

I also don't think it's really needed for me to apologize to anyone, as I never harmed anyone to my knowledge. Again, if the judges really didn't enjoy my story for shallow reasons such as grammar, which was again, stated as not being a factor, then I feel I need to do the opposite of apologize. If it had been asked, it would have been delivered with great OCD zeal, flawless, and again again, I wished I hadn't submitted and worked on it some more, skipping the competition. I knew more people would read my great story if it was an entrant as opposed to another piece on the fanfic forum; Look at Lord Veneficus: He posted a story a while back, and has now posted five or more chapters, and all he got for his work was about four comments, some from the same person. I tried to avoid a similar fate, and enter my baby to get attention. If I owe anyone an apology it's myself, as I'm the only victim in the end as a cause of the spelling.

Other people liked my story, even a favourite to some. People requested me to redo it and repost it outside the competition, or post the sequel I'm working on. The judges restated that they judged on preference, and I can deal with that. But again; with so many people ONLY critizing my spelling issue, I can't help but think that maybe that's the only problem.
This is also why I'll thank the judges again; thank you for helping me with your help (looking forward to what BSD has to say).

I ask the use of logic: People still are insisting that I left my story unrefined out of laziness; even though I stated that this is not the case. You have ABSOLUTELY no proof of this skewed conclusion. If I say:
"I was physically barred from editting my story. Furthermore, given the requirement (or even if it was only asked of me) I'd have gone to extreme measures, going more out of my way than I should have to; just to appease the critics and readers"
But it was not asked or required. Again; this was an ametuer competition: If it'd been like a job interview; where I knew what was expected of me; and when something as important as a career was on the line, I'd have given my story 200%, instead of the 111% I put in. Saying my grammar was lax, and giving me helpful advice: like telling me how to use edit; replace, as opposed to just saying that I'm lazy and didn't try hard enough, It CAN ONLY BE SEEN AS AN UNNECISSARY PERSONAL ATTACK. Saying the errors would be better out, and calling me lazy are two whole separate actions, warranting an unequal reaction. I could've/should've reciprocated with an equally insulting post, but in my world chivalry exists, so alas; I cannot change the minds of those unwilling to accept. So if you want to believe that I put all my work into 49 pages for nothing, or to win yet another copy of Oblivion, go ahead. Swear words arn't needed to be insulting.
"If you arn't part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
"You can't handle the truth!" Lol, this last one's just for fun. How I can be so calm about this? I amaze myself even sometimes smile.gif

This post has been edited by 0rimus: May 30 2008, 01:52 AM
+Quote Post
redsrock
post May 30 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #164

Knower
Group Icon

QUOTE(0rimus @ May 30 2008, 01:47 AM) *

I knew more people would read my great story

That right there is your problem, Orimus. Just because you do think your story is great, doesn't mean everyone else is going to think that way. It is natural for one to like their own writing, and treat it with extreme delicacy. But you are taking that too far. To say what you said in the above quote is actually very cocky.

Perhaps the judges didn't think your story was that great. And just forget about the grammer matter for a second, will you? Did you ever stop and think that maybe the judges just didn't like your story? Holy hell, what do ya' know? That's called life, Orimus. Not everybody is going to think the same as you do. The sooner you learn that the better. I hope you take my words seriously, because in all honesty I'm trying to help you out here.

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
0rimus
post May 30 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #165

Evoker

I do. I didn't expect everyone to read my rant thouroughly, but I said very clearly that I lost because the judges didn't like it. Also, self-appraisal isn't against any rules, and if I can't agree with what someone else told me; then what has the world come to? I would've let the grammar drop, but it kept getting thrown into my face. As I said, this should've ended with Chiglets post a long time ago.

"I'm guessing this was a typo, but you'll want to replace it with either laid down or the older-but-more-universally-correct lay down."

"Thanks. Microsoft Word wasn't working real well with its grammar corrections."

I like this.

"Your story sucks. I couldn't even follow the plot."-hypothetical.

Even this is okay, though rude with the first part, but at least it tells me something. I do apologize for saying I liked my own story. I'm gonna ask something I'm already regetting: Does anyone want me to continue writing? Please, if you're a lurker, or just want me to go on, then please tell me so. Even if you're one of the people slandering my good name, but all in all, acctually liked my story, then I'll keep said story alive. I know I like my story, but *sigh* if it comes down to it; I'll just write it down in a notebook or something. I thank the people who gave me support, without trying for some hope of just breaking me for some reason. I don't need friendlyness, I wanted fairness. So to Alex, and BSD, I thank you for indulging me, and the only thing I can offer in return is my stubborness to continue on a apparently rough course. And, against my bitter judgement, I thank those who answered my call for constructive critizims, even if it'd been said many times, especially those who understand the concept of internet ettiquette, I salute thee. We are few, but we do exist, and for my human flaws that make you think I speak too highly of myself, two points:
You don't, and cannot understand me, as I you.
And they say information is better retained with repition: "To err is human, to forgive is divine."
I'm sorry; to all, for if I did or didn't give insult, if it was imagined, I apologize anyway. If it was needed, there it is. If I bore no insult, but accused thee anyway, then I'm honestly ashamed.

"Walk straight; for a final solution,
Walk straight; don't you be so cold,
Walk straight; with clear resolution,
I'll state my case, and never turn."
+Quote Post
redsrock
post May 30 2008, 02:46 AM
Post #166

Knower
Group Icon

Of course you should continue writing. But do it because you want to, and nothing else. Don't worry about what others think about your writing, because in the end the only thing that really matters is what you feel, Orimus.

--------------------
*Hey everyone, TES Fiction is looking to revamp its very talented group of writers. So, if you love to write (TES or non-TES), come on over! Whether its stories, poems, song lyrics, etc, it doesn't matter!*
+Quote Post
0rimus
post May 30 2008, 02:57 AM
Post #167

Evoker

Thank you redsrock, I agree. I'll keep writing no matter what, I just wanted to know if others were interested. And I came up with some more suggestions:

If you take one of my previous points; to expand the time next time (if ever) on a followup competition, I'd also suggest having all judges read every story. I admit again that this is asking alot, but it's like playing darts; this was admittedly a subjective competition, so everytime you add another judge (dart) you exponentially increase the chance of one of those darts getting close® to the bullseye.

P.S, the lyrics at the bottom are from SOiLWORK. Also, the one thing I can't stand is someone who is heavily hypocritical; so to avoid becomeing the thing I loathe most, I apologize if my posts seem to be targeted assaults; which I accused some of you of. I meant none of them that way, but it's hard to interpret things online with no tone of voice.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post May 30 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #168

Wizard
Group Icon

Right, it seems everything that can be said about Orimus' tale has been said, and so it's time to move on. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
0rimus
post May 30 2008, 05:54 AM
Post #169

Evoker

Thanks. And; about time. Out of curiousity, who was the third long catagory judge? If they're alright with you telling me.
+Quote Post
Chiglet
post May 30 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #170

Evoker

Hi stargelman!! How goes things? Been a long while since I've seen you. smile.gif

The Elder Scolls are (from what I've been able to determine on my own) a written history of the future. They may or may not be able to be destroyed, though probably not as they are rather powerful magical items in their own way. The folding/spindling/mutilating/burning of one for real or just illusion would definitely get the attention of people though. And then one must consider what the overall reppurcussions of doing so would be for the whole world of Tamriel. They can definitely be altered however as is shown in the Thieves guild questline.

On the matter of any of us changing TES lore, well that's already been done by Bethesda itself with the SI main questline. Now that was a major shredding of TES lore and for me rather destroyed much of the enjoyability of that add-on. But I know of many people who absolutely love that change to the lore. So, what and how something gets changed really is a personal thing

The reason for levitation not being avaiable in Oblivion is the "Levitation act of (some year I don't recall)" I got that from an NPC's conversation I overheard while playing one time. smile.gif Nifty way of explaining it, though I'd thnk that most real baddies who could would use it anyways as baddies don't follow the law anyway. wink.gif And it tells me that levitation is indeed possible just not legal

Posting one's story in the fanfic forums for commentary is ( as I've found) a catch-as-catch-can thing. I posted mine here after the contest results were in with the hopes of maybe a comment or 2 on how the story was written. What I might improve for the next time I actually sit and write something. I know people have at least glanced at it, though the only comment so far is in regard to the pictures. smile.gif Ah well, hopefully those who read it at least got a chuckle out of it. tongue.gif

Ok. noticing that I'm starting to get rather scatterbarined here, I'll stop now. smile.gif Keep writing folks! Practice makes improvement if not perfection. cool.gif

--------------------
To the Void we all shall go...
+Quote Post
Kiln
post May 30 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #171

Forum Bard
Group Icon

Man things have been crazy in this thread...I'm glad that people are starting to cool down more but alot of the arguments here have been rather pointless. For those of you like me who didn't win, get over it. Alot of people lost but you don't see them here complaining.
QUOTE(Alexander @ May 27 2008, 08:18 PM) *
Hm, even after all I and Stargelman have said in this thread, and after the time I took to explain it further in the pm's we exchanged you would post a thing such as this.

Unfortunately some people can't take a hint very good, not even when it's right there for everyone to see. Just so everyone knows, Raggidman has been suspended for a short period of time for failing to comply with what was made very clear in here. There is a line, and you do not cross the line without repercussions.

I hope this will serve as an example for others. Look up my earlier posts, that's the line, please don't cross it.
Thank you.
Ouch and the ref takes a point. ohmy.gif

QUOTE(minque @ May 28 2008, 10:55 AM) *

The meaning of this should be to have fun! So please do not put so much prestige in it, just write, compete and accept the results, how hard can it be? kvleft.gif
Quoted for truth. My views exactly Minky.

--------------------
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee. - Friedrich Nietzsche
+Quote Post
Agent Griff
post Jun 2 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #172

Knower
Group Icon

I think people have been taking either themselves too seriously or the competition itself too seriously. It's just something for fun, as Minque said, and made for amateur writers who write above all for pleasure.

Some of you shouldn't be so harsh on the judges and the writers or the competition. I, to be honest, hope there will be another one in the future.

Also, I'm very glad that my story finished fourth. It's something to be proud of when your story finishes fourth out of 27.

Congratulations to all the other participants and to the judges for taking their time to read through all these stories.

--------------------
IPB Image

I approve of this mod.
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 2 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #173

Wizard
Group Icon

QUOTE(0rimus @ May 30 2008, 06:54 AM) *

Thanks. And; about time. Out of curiousity, who was the third long catagory judge? If they're alright with you telling me.

Since Haplo already posted about it, I see no reason not to mention it again. He was the third judge. It was BSD, Haplo and myself for the long section.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Alexander
post Jun 10 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #174

Wizard
Group Icon

As it seems most has been said about this and there hasn't been a post in 8 days, I'm going to unpin this.

Feel free to still post in it though if you feel the need to smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
0rimus
post Mar 19 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #175

Evoker

Threadcromancy! Anyone else feel like not much was resolved in this (ancient) thread? I'd love to see whatcha guys have to say after all this time. Not that I'm suggesting we return to arguing of course, just curious.

Some things I'd like to clear up:
Yes, I am an arrogant boat. This was a means of self-preservation. I tend to give up on my talents pretty easy; and this was early in my writing career (and yes, I still write). So I took ever little thing against my story wayyyyyyyyyyyy to harshly. Understand, I was young and passionate, hormone driven and defensive. I really didn't have any other works of writing to "fall back" on, if this one flopped, which it did, very much so. My accusation of the judges not reading my work, was not indignation (then nor now) at my lowly rank, it was the lack of supporting evidence; and could have been worded better, which it was initially, but as my search for critique bore no fruit, I, like any other human, got frustrated and resorted to means below my petty social code of ethics; for this I again apologize.

So why renew a long dead issue? It's simple: My oblivion game disc broke, and I forgot about everything that had taken place on this forum. Recently, I got the game again, started playing, and low and behold, I was thinking to myself "Wow, I could write some great stories based on this!"

So I think this thread was not "dead" so much as forgotten.

This post has been edited by 0rimus: Mar 19 2009, 12:59 AM
+Quote Post
redsrock
post May 8 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #176

Knower
Group Icon

So you're an avid writer, eh?

--------------------
+Quote Post
kellie
post Dec 21 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #177

Associate

Some of the stories here are worth the competition. I like reading them.

Regards,
Kellie
Simulation pret immobilier
+Quote Post
mALX
post Dec 25 2010, 04:25 AM
Post #178

Ancient
Group Icon

Will there be a competition this year?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Burnt Sierra
post Jan 4 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #179

Two Headed cat
Group Icon

QUOTE(mALX @ Dec 25 2010, 03:25 AM) *

Will there be a competition this year?

I suppose it is about time we had another one. I'd rather just do a small forum competition rather than a large community one though - for several reasons.

1. It takes a lot of time to judge, and time constraints are a factor. The more stories, the larger amount of time required, and the less useful feedback given, due to those constaints.
2. We had a lot of problems in the community competition from people wanting things done their way. Problems we didn't face when doing the first forum only competition.
3. The announcement of Skyrim will inevitably mean an increase in interest. Whilst we can cope with new members here (due to the fact that all our existing members are very cool and all follow the type of forum we like to be instinctively), members from the official forums... might not be so accomodating. See point 2 tongue.gif

If anyone is interested in doing a forum only (and friendly) competition here again, just say so. If there's enough interest, why not? smile.gif
+Quote Post
ureniashtram
post Jan 4 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #180

Knower
Group Icon

I have a question.

Will the competition be of Long or Short stories, or both?

--------------------
Djinn: What wish would you like to have, young master?
Random dude: SUPA POWAZ!
--
Djinn: Is there anything I could make true, lord?
Old guy: .. Youth and charisma.
--
Djinn: Your heart speaks of wanting. I could make it true, milord.
Me: Hmmm. I wish to know what I want. Then you could hook me up in some insidious deal, spirit.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:55 AM